Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2011, 00:39   #101
Z28ricer

Send a message via AIM to Z28ricer
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
you might be surprised, my EDC is this Wilson b'tail, the only time it's not on my hip is when I'm not wearing trousers...
it's with me at work right now, will be tomorrow and the day after.... well, that would be Saturday, but you get my drift....
The reference really required doing stuff I mentioned, if you carried the pistol you posted a pic of like I do mine, it wouldnt look like that.

Carrying one repetitively to go grocery shopping, is a little different than crawling around under cars, sliding on asphalt to see whats up underneath, upside downing yourself on a cars rollcage to peek at the wiring under the dash etc.

I didnt say people dont carry them consistently, just that it wouldnt be a good idea to do the type of work some people do, constantly, with some $3000 custom gun.

Just like LandRover posts all sorts of pictures of their vehicles doing all sorts of offroading, etc, yet a bunch of soccer moms drive them around, and the most offroading they see is going over a speedbump.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:50   #102
swinokur

I have a full size TLE/RL II with several thousand rounds through it. It's been perfect and eats whatever I give it.This includes WWB, Speer Lawman, 230g +p HST, and Gold Dots.

I have no issues with the weapon. The only holster wear I can see is slight wear at the muzzle on either side of the slide, but it's minimal.

My guns are tools, so even if it does wear, to me it's not a huge deal.

Based on my experience, I would buy another Kimber. I am looking for a 10mm Eclipse right now.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07   #103
PrecisionRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
I have a full size TLE/RL II with several thousand rounds through it. It's been perfect and eats whatever I give it.This includes WWB, Speer Lawman, 230g +p HST, and Gold Dots.

I have no issues with the weapon. The only holster wear I can see is slight wear at the muzzle on either side of the slide, but it's minimal.

My guns are tools, so even if it does wear, to me it's not a huge deal.

Based on my experience, I would buy another Kimber. I am looking for a 10mm Eclipse right now.
I spoke with a few people who were carrying Kimber's at the range yesterday. Every person I spoke with loved their Kimber saying they never have had any malfunctions even after 1000's of rounds. Based on experiences from actual owners I am pretty convinced the Kimber is a solid 1911. There are some very nice custom 1911's made by other companies but Kimber seems to be the best offering in regards to reliability and *price* for most people. I think *most* people are not going to be willing to spend 2k-4k on a weapon for daily carry for fear of wear. That being said I sure do like custom offerings by other makers...just not comfortable making such a pricey weapon a carry piece and I'm not huge on safe queens. At this point I'm leaning toward the Kimber for the balance of economy and reliability.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24   #104
Rinspeed
JAFO

The older Kimbers are so much nicer I'm not sure I would even buy a new to tell you the truth.

1911 Forums

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:54   #105
PrecisionRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
The older Kimbers are so much nicer I'm not sure I would even buy a new to tell you the truth.

1911 Forums
Very nice Kimber!! I'm have my eyes pretty set on the Dan Wesson VBOB in the black finish, but the price difference between it and the Kimber still has me on the fence.

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10   #106
dragbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post

1911 Forums
Very nice, I need to find a clackamas one I grew up there.
Old 02-06-2011, 13:35   #107
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
Very nice Kimber!! I'm have my eyes pretty set on the Dan Wesson VBOB in the black finish, but the price difference between it and the Kimber still has me on the fence.
If you're serious about Duty Coat VBOB, spend $200 more and get a Kobra Carry or Special Forces Carry. Much better gun for the money.

The VBOB is a sweet gun for $1,400. Not so much at $1,900.

Last edited by Hokie1911; 02-06-2011 at 13:37..
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 00:28   #108
asiparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28ricer View Post
The reference really required doing stuff I mentioned, if you carried the pistol you posted a pic of like I do mine, it wouldnt look like that.

Carrying one repetitively to go grocery shopping, is a little different than crawling around under cars, sliding on asphalt to see whats up underneath, upside downing yourself on a cars rollcage to peek at the wiring under the dash etc.

I didnt say people dont carry them consistently, just that it wouldnt be a good idea to do the type of work some people do, constantly, with some $3000 custom gun.
Yes, but this one time I was carrying, and the guy at Starbucks gave me a single mocha frapaccino instead of a non fat toffee mocha frapaccino, so I had to, like go totally back to the store again, so that was like carrying twice in one day........

Quote:
I bet there are owners of ferraris out there that have problems too, doesnt mean a vette wont keep you happy.

I'll be buying more Kimbers, for those pushing for $2000+ handguns, I'd love to see you carry your WC, or LesBaer, as religiously as I do my Kimber
is actually what you said, don't arse about.....

HEY OP !

whatcha going to get anyway ?

Last edited by asiparks; 02-07-2011 at 00:32..
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 00:51   #109
Z28ricer

Quote:
is actually what you said, don't arse about.....

HEY OP !

whatcha going to get anyway ?
Cool sweet, what I typed didnt fully go into the types of things im doing when carrying my Kimber.

Good job pointing out the obvious, instead of comprehending the explanation.

So uh, like I said, you ready to check out some cars, maybe change out a clutch with your lesbaer or wc on your hip ?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41   #110
asiparks

Do you drop your gun fairly regularly as you're working under cars ?
Is it somehow getting entangled in clutch cables ?
Every now and again, is it jumping out of it's holster and landing in your toolbox ?
Because unless you're you're using a very, very sad holster, the pragmatic BS detecting side of me is trying to imagine the extra wear it's getting in your holster that mine's missing, or the "Big Chance" that you're taking working on cars.

I have worked under/in/around my car wearing my pistol, a Novaks Hi Power at the time...Had all my interior out, replaced my brakes, my suspension, tranny pan blah blah blah, but most of the time, i'd put it on the seat or my toolbox lid, not because i was worried about "wear" but just because it was the comfortable thing to do.

anyway, sorry for the thread crapping OP, whatcha get ?

Last edited by asiparks; 02-07-2011 at 03:32..
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44   #111
Z28ricer

Quote:
Do you drop your gun fairly regularly as you're working under cars ?
Is it somehow getting entangled in clutch cables ?
Every now and again, is it jumping out of it's holster and landing in your toolbox ?
Because unless you're you're using a very, very sad holster, the pragmatic BS detecting side of me is trying to imagine the extra wear it's getting in your holster that mine's missing, or the "Big Chance" that you're taking working on cars.

I have worked under/in/around my car wearing my pistol, a Novaks Hi Power at the time...Had all my interior out, replaced my brakes, my suspension, tranny pan blah blah blah, but most of the time, i'd put it on the seat or my toolbox lid, not because i was worried about "wear" but just because it was the comfortable thing to do.

anyway, sorry for the thread crapping OP, whatcha get ?

Whats a clutch cable ?

Does that go along with a "carburetor"

Yes sometimes its convenient to remove your weapon, however i've had to deal with working on cars competing in events, where it sometimes isnt gonna work for me to just relocate it, put it somewhere safe. Time may not allow, or sometimes just cant reasonably do it for other reasons. Its had its fair share of scrapes on asphalt as I rolled over on it, or slid under a car and my shirt moved a bit exposing it.

Junkyards searching out a part sometimes ? Hey they like to use rocks for flooring, cant just place your pistol up on the cowl of the car at the junkyard and go unbolting a differential now can you ?

Like I said before, having high end guns that carefully fitted, sweet, however the difference between a full race motor blueprinted to that last .00001" or the perfectly matched to .001% valvespring seat pressure on every cylinder might be nice, but plenty of production engines get people down the road every day reliably.

Dont claim everyone needs a ferrari, or porsche, to get to the grocery store
Old 02-07-2011, 07:48   #112
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:34   #113
knedrgr

Quote:
Like I said before, having high end guns that carefully fitted, sweet, however the difference between a full race motor blueprinted to that last .00001" or the perfectly matched to .001% valvespring seat pressure on every cylinder might be nice, but plenty of production engines get people down the road every day reliably.

This is just a bunch of HATER-AID...

If one has the money for a Ferrari, Porsche or any other "high-end exotic" cars and want to buy one, good for them. There's nothing wrong with driving that car as a daily driver. I know guys who drives their Nissan GTR's in the snow as daily drivers. To them, it's just another car (crazy fast car). I'm sure a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T would be a fine daily. But if they can afford to drive the GTR as a daily, more power to them.
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31   #114
Z28ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
This is just a bunch of HATER-AID...

If one has the money for a Ferrari, Porsche or any other "high-end exotic" cars and want to buy one, good for them. There's nothing wrong with driving that car as a daily driver. I know guys who drives their Nissan GTR's in the snow as daily drivers. To them, it's just another car (crazy fast car). I'm sure a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T would be a fine daily. But if they can afford to drive the GTR as a daily, more power to them.
Reading comprehension isnt good with you is it ?

There is a difference between saying dont buy one, they suck, and wont do the job, and saying "hey, theres something available thats pretty awesome"

You also wouldnt want to choose a nissan GTR if you're going offroading every weekend through a bunch of forest, might damage the car a bit huh ?

oh and GTR's are slow
Old 02-07-2011, 11:56   #115
asiparks

Quote:
Whats a clutch cable ?

mine specifically

some more:

sorry, what is you do again... ?

Does that go along with a "carburetor"

blah skippy blah....

Don't think I did...nope, checked...
You said you'd like to know who carried a high end gun as religiously as you carry your Kimber. I answered. I apologize for not sufficiently rolling around on the ground , but as you're making this all about your rugged motorsporting life, i cannot possibly compete..You win Sir, well played............
Old 02-07-2011, 12:07   #116
Z28ricer

Quote:
Don't think I did...nope, checked...
You said you'd like to know who carried a high end gun as religiously as you carry your Kimber. I answered. I apologize for not sufficiently rolling around on the ground , but as you're making this all about your rugged motorsporting life, i cannot possibly compete..You win Sir, well played............
No, i'm making this about choosing the right tool for the job.

You're making this about people must buy an expensive custom built, high priced pistol for EDC, completely ignoring the fact that regular production pistols will get the job done just fine.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:12   #117
asiparks

Quote:
No, i'm making this about choosing the right tool for the job.

You're making this about people must buy an expensive custom built, high priced pistol for EDC, completely ignoring the fact that regular production pistols will get the job done just fine.
nope. never said that, never inferred that, didn't ever never do it. Not even close.
If I did, find it.....

Still don't believe in clutch cables...?

Holy sweet heck, has this gone off topic...apologies to the OP

Last edited by asiparks; 02-07-2011 at 12:14..
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14   #118
Z28ricer

Quote:
nope. never said that, never inferred that, didn't ever never do it. Not even close.
If I did, find it.....

Still don't believe in clutch cables...?
Clutch cables ?

It was a joke, thus the carb reference

As in they're a thing of the past, most things have hydraulic clutches now
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24   #119
asiparks

fixed
Old 02-07-2011, 19:34   #120
knedrgr

Quote:
Reading comprehension isnt good with you is it ?

There is a difference between saying dont buy one, they suck, and wont do the job, and saying "hey, theres something available thats pretty awesome"

You also wouldnt want to choose a nissan GTR if you're going offroading every weekend through a bunch of forest, might damage the car a bit huh ?

oh and GTR's are slow

Are you serious? I'm a completely stupid arse. But at least I can keep the comparisons on point. You can't keep a discussion and comparison on topic. Now you're referencing using a GTR for off-road use?! You keep changing the comparison perspective. Yeah that makes sense.

You haven't made a solid or valid point in any of your posts. the OP is just going to CCW the thing. It's not like he's an operator that will be banging it up. And if he is, he didn't mention it in any of his posts.

We were talking about comparing 1911's and then you reference carrying it and rolling around under or inside a car, fixing it. Who the h3ll cares about how the owner will carry their pistol. It's his/her money and they can buy whatever the h3ll they want, and decide how or where they want to carry it.

Most of the people are saying to save the money and 1) add a slight bit more and get a better fit/finish pistol, or 2) look for a used pistol that has a nicer fit/finish.

So if you're going to reference an analogy to cars, then it would be like this; Instead of spending $30K to buy a new Chevy Camaro, just save up a little more and get a used Corvette Z06. Both cars will do the job of getting you from A to B, and will be fun around corners. But the better engine and suspensions on a used Z06 will be worth the extra.

But then my reading comprehension isn't good with me...
COTEFT #2

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1911, 45acp, kimber