Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2011, 18:52   #41
Rohniss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
Russ,

He might also read the guidelines on how Eric wants articles posted, so as to avoid copyright issues. This is at least the second time he hadn't bothered to follow Eric's rules.

As far as being a cop goes - he is one, IIRC. But, I think he's small town somewhere in Ohio. Small town work is a lot different than big city work, as we all know. I also seem to recollect he's on at least his 2nd agency, and that he's caused trolling problems in this forum before.
So what your saying, to butcher the late, great Mel Brooks "what we got here is one of them self hating Cops".
Note: All of the above expressed opinions above are those of the poster. No representation is made that the above post construes legal advice or is to be considered as anything but the personal opinion of the poster. View at your own Peril.

Last edited by Rohniss; 01-31-2011 at 18:53..
Rohniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 18:56   #42
CW Mock

I don't regularly comment in these types of threads, but the discussion here caught my attention, mainly this line here:

"Cuz its clear that all any of you guys want to hear is praise, worship and positive reinforcement from your peers. And when someone, anyone comes here and does not tow the party lien they are immediately case aside as a heretic or troll."

Its not about a party line, or anything like it. Cops are cut from all sorts of cloth, and have about every differing opinion under the sun. Myself, I probably am pretty far right on a lot of things, but that is irrelevant. The impression that I get is that you have missed something important - that we are all "cops," and realistically, often times the ONLY person we can count on to have our best interests in mind is another blue uniform at o-dark-thirty in an alley, or the side of a lonely highway. Not supervisors, admin, the public - but other cops. You leave the distinct impression from about all your posts in all your threads you could give a damn about your brothers and sisters in uniform, and have some sort of axe to grind. I don't know what it is, or why - but it taints everything you put up here, and makes it hard to look at without rolling one's eyes. That impression is what makes people think you are a heretic or troll, not the material you post. I guarantee you that 95% of it is in the delivery, not the actual package.

To address the article. It's a mediocre piece that obviously skirts around the totality of the circumstances to push an angle. I don't know the author or his/her work, but if this piece is indicative of the quality of material he/she produces on a regular basis, clearly they have not graduated to the "big leagues." Even a relative newcomer would have the common sense to look at the totality of circumstances, which the others have touched on here. I think media sensationalism is part of the perception.

Whether or not this is an "anti-cop trend" I can only tell you that from personal experience, and five years on the job there is something seriously wrong with people now, and it sure as heck seems like we are hated more than ever, or perhaps criminals are just emboldened by an apathetic judiciary. What makes it worse are the guys we have "working for a paycheck" who look out for themselves first, and everyone else including their squadmates second.

It's a dangerous job, and its getting more dangerous. Experience and numbers support that. The sociologist in me tells me its a million different things contributing to it. Calling it an anti-cop trend seems to make sense.

Last edited by CW Mock; 01-31-2011 at 18:59..
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 18:59   #43
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

There's definitely an anti-cop trend... Granted not all of the cop haters are trying to kill us. Some of them are writing news articles or posting on Internet messageboards.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:01   #44
JBaird22

Its not about being worshiped or even patted on the back, but the last thing we want when we log onto a web site, we exchange ideas, we tell each other its okay and in general support each other because no one else will. Its articles, and people like the OP, who I would bet if he is in fact a cop, is a real joy to work with, that make us pigeon hole ourselves and avoid contact with the general public, admin and pretty much anyone else that questions our right and legally justified actions.

If I'm super conservative, so be it. I'm also a proud member of the thin blue line.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:03   #45
Rohniss

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
There's definitely an anti-cop trend... Granted not all of the cop haters are trying to kill us. Some of them are writing news articles or posting on Internet messageboards.
And for that we should be thankful. However you never know how much it will take to move from just words to actions. It's my opinion that very few people wake up one day and say, I wanna shoot at the police. If I made a guess is that you would find a pattern of talking themselves up to it, or watching/reading stuff to edge them up to that level.
Note: All of the above expressed opinions above are those of the poster. No representation is made that the above post construes legal advice or is to be considered as anything but the personal opinion of the poster. View at your own Peril.
Rohniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:29   #46
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

JSandi's spelling, grammar, and sentence structure are not up to the standards of the ancient knuckle dragger LEO's still around.

If he's going to pose, at least get a program to check to spelling/grammar...
Cop Talk

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:52   #47
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSandi View Post
Damn!

There is intelligent life in here!
Yes there is. Always has been. And the average IQ of this forum will increase dramatically when you log off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Are you a sworn LEO?
You haven't read his previous post, have you?
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:59   #48
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Interceptor View Post
...You haven't read his previous post, have you?
I read a few, but, damn, I must have missed the good one. Got a link?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 19:59   #49
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rockso View Post
Hi everybody. I've not posted on GT in quite a long time, but I've spent the last couple days looking through a lot of the FBI's LEOKA data (for an unrelated matter, trying to dig up some data to combat some "cop-killer bullet" silliness going on in California right now).

I have to say that having looked at the data, I'm increasingly of the opinion that the "war on cops" articles I've been reading recently are yet another example of media sensationalism run amok. Looking at several LEOKA documents (including the one linked above by Patchman), you can see that once you control for the total number of officers the proportional number of assaults have decreased steadily and substantially since the '90s. The LEOKA reports these numbers are from are 2009, 2000, and 1996 (important because there are some year-to-year adjustments, but that variability isn't enough to skew the results significantly).

Cop Talk

Is there something that I'm missing here?
I'm just curious, Dr Rockso, about the interpretations of the percentages. As per your post, in 1987, 16.85 % of LEOs were assaulted. In 2009, 10.30 % were assaulted. So in academia, what percentage of a population being assaulted is considered "reasonable?"

I mean, for example, if in 1987, 16.85 % of the Asian population in the U.S. were assaulted, and by 2009, only 10.30 % of Asian were assaulted, would that be considered OK? A great improvement? Why are they even complaining?

In the same time frame, 1987 to 2009, what percentage of America were victims of assaults?

And of course, how does LE's self-initiated Officer Survival movement that started in the early 1970s come into play? To imply that LE, statistically, is only getting safer because society is far less violent, is false.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-31-2011 at 20:22..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 20:14   #50
Dr Rockso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
I'm just curious, Dr Rockso, about the interpretations of the percentages. As per your post, in 1987, 16.85 % of LEOs were assaulted. In 2009, 10.30 % were assaulted. So in academia, what percentage of a population being assaulted is considered "reasonable?"

I mean, for example, if in 1987, 16.85 % of the Asian population in the U.S. were assaulted, and by 2009, only 10.30 % of Asians were assaulted, would that be considered OK? A great improvement? Why are they even complaining?

In the same time frame, 1987 to 2009, what percentage of America were victims of assaults?
Of course I'd like the number of assaults to be zero, and I'm in no way suggesting that LEOs don't get assaulted at much higher rates than the general population. What I am saying, though, is that the perception given by media articles is that the problem has escalated to an all-time high, which, as far as I can tell, just isn't supported by reality.

If you ask an average person what the current crime rate is relative to what it was 10 years ago, they'll almost invariably tell you that it's higher despite the fact that just isn't true. There's a strong bias toward sensationalism in the media that just causes people to constantly think that things are awful, and rarely are these sorts of things actually put into context.

An unfortunate side effect of media sensationalism (despite the fact that it makes people believe things that aren't so) is that, especially in regards to perceptions surrounding crime and law enforcement, it tends to give politicians a big incentive to look like they're "doing something". As gun owners, that doesn't typically end well for us.
Dr Rockso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 20:21   #51
Patchman
Florist

Yes. Media lives and dies by sensationalism.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 20:22   #52
tortoise

Niners #2123, Sub-Club #2123, Wheelhouse #2123,
Snubbie Club #2123, Black Rifle Club #2123

Last edited by tortoise; 07-05-2013 at 19:01..
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 20:22   #53
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
I read a few, but, damn, I must have missed the good one. Got a link?
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266863
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 20:38   #54
CAcop

Jsandi reminds me of a guy at work. The only difference is that he throws out liberal stuff to be the contrarian. If you argue with him he gets all jazzed and happy. If you ignore him and go about his business.

I guess Jsandi is "that guy."
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 21:38   #55
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Jsandi reminds me of a guy at work. The only difference is that he throws out liberal stuff to be the contrarian. If you argue with him he gets all jazzed and happy. If you ignore him and go about his business.

I guess Jsandi is "that guy."
Yep brother.

And every department has "that guy."

Last edited by 4949shooter; 01-31-2011 at 21:47..
4949shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 21:39   #56
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSandi View Post
Yes I did, "I have no beef"... I simply posted an article for discussion and the peanut gallery freaked out...
Answer the question JSandi.

What's your beef? What are you trying to prove here?

Answer the question.
Old 01-31-2011, 21:43   #57
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rockso View Post

Is there something that I'm missing here?
Nope. Like was said before, fewer police officers die today because of improved training, tactics, and equipment.

Oh yeah, trauma centers have improved also.
Old 01-31-2011, 21:46   #58
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Oh my...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 23:17   #59
tortoise

Niners #2123, Sub-Club #2123, Wheelhouse #2123,
Snubbie Club #2123, Black Rifle Club #2123

Last edited by tortoise; 07-05-2013 at 19:00.. Reason: ...
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 23:17   #60
BlackPaladin

OP, NO friggin way are you in LE. If you spewed this crap to ANY agency YOU would be crucified by your own guys. Not to mention you are a **ssy, with too much time to research your agenda. What the heck, get a ticket once and feel you were screwed over?

As for the link to the post regarding the 84yr old guy that got into the scuffle, see above comment, second sentance.

OP, you are a TROLL, get out.
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD

Last edited by BlackPaladin; 01-31-2011 at 23:20..
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote