GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:24   #1
JSandi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
The Anti-Cop trend that isn't

Between January 20 and January 25, 13 police officers were shot in the U.S., five of them fatally. Two officers in St. Petersburg, Florida, were killed*while trying to arrest a suspect accused of aggravated battery. Two more were killed*in Miami while trying to arrest a suspected murderer. An*officer in Oregon was seriously wounded*and another in Indiana was killed after they were shot*during routine traffic stops. The Indiana assailant had a long and violent criminal record. The suspect in Oregon is still at large. In another incident, four officers were injured in Detroit when a man about to be charged in a murder investigation walked into a police station and opened fire.

Some police advocates have drawn unsupported conclusions from this rash of attacks, claiming*that they are tied to rising anti-police sentiment, anti-government protest, or a lack of adequate gun control laws. Media outlets also have been quick to draw connections between these unrelated shootings. While these incidents are tragic, the ensuing alarmism threatens to stifle much-needed debate about police tactics, police misconduct, and police accountability.

Jon Shane, a professor*at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, told NPR the January shootings "follow some bit of a larger trend in the United States," which he described as an "overriding sense of entitlement and 'don't tread on me.'" Craig W. Floyd, chairman of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, told UPI, "It's a very troubling trend where officers are being put at greater risk than ever before." The same article summarized the opinions of other police leaders who think the shootings "reflected a broader lack of respect for authority."

Richard Roberts, spokesman for the International Union of Police Associations, told MSNBC, "It's not a fluke….There's a perception among officers in the field that there's a war on cops going on." Police critic William Grigg notes that Smith County, Texas, Sheriff J.B. Smith told the NBC station in Tyler, "I think it's a hundred times more likely today that an officer will be assaulted compared to twenty, thirty years ago. It has become one of the most hazardous jobs in the United States, undoubtedly—in the top five."

During his interview with Shane, NPR host Michael Martin linked*the shootings to the availability of guns. Salon's Amy Steinberg concluded "there is a disturbing trend and an increasingly pressing need to revisit the conversation on gun control."

Dig into most of these articles, however, and you will find there is no real evidence of an increase in anti-police violence, let alone one that can be traced to anti-police rhetoric, gun sales, disrespect for authority, or "don't tread on me" sentiment. (CNN is one of the few media outlets that have covered the purported anti-police trend with appropriate skepticism.) Amid all the quotes from concerned law enforcement officials in MSNBC's "War on Cops"*article, for example, is a casual mention that police fatality statistics for this month are about the same as they were in January 2010. Right after suggesting to NPR that the recent attacks were related to anti-government rhetoric, Shane acknowledged there has been little research into the underlying causes of police shootings.

In truth, on-the-job police fatalities have dropped nearly 50 percent during the last 20 years, even as the total number of cops has doubled. According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 279 cops were killed on the job in 1974, the worst year on record. That number steadily decreased to just 116 in 2009. The leading cause of death for cops on duty is*car accidents, not violence. For the last several years, the number of officers intentionally killed on the job each year has ranged from 45 to 60, out of about 850,000 cops on the beat. That makes police officers about 50 percent more likely to be intentionally killed than the average American. But contrary to Sheriff Smith's claim, the job isn't among the 10 most dangerous*in the country, let alone the "the top five," even if you include officers unintentionally killed in traffic accidents.

As for guns, Salon's Steinberg strangely came to her conclusion about "the pressing need to revisit the conversation on gun control" just a few paragraphs after she noted that gun sales have risen dramatically during the same 20-year period when police officer fatalities have plummeted. Last year there was an increase in officers intentionally killed on the job, from 41 to 58, which Steinberg characterizes this way: "In 2010 policemen killed on the job rose by nearly 40 percent, the greatest increase since 1974." That's true. But isn't it more significant that these numbers have dropped to the point where 17 additional deaths now represents an increase of 40 percent? In any event, 2010 also saw the smallest increase in gun sales in six years.

None of this is meant to denigrate the heroism of police officers who confront and apprehend dangerous people, and we certainly should honor and remember those who are injured or killed while doing so. But seizing on an anomalous series of terrible shootings as evidence of a nonexistent anti-police trend skews the debate on issues such as aggressive police tactics, police militarization, the use of Tasers, searches and pat-downs, and police transparency and accountability. Officer safety is important, but it should not come at the expense of the safety and civil liberties of the people they are sworn to protect.


http://reason.com/archives/2011/01/3...rend-that-isnt
JSandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 13:49   #2
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 12,166
Quote:
None of this is meant to denigrate the heroism of police officers who confront and apprehend dangerous people, and we certainly should honor and remember those who are injured or killed while doing so. But seizing on an anomalous series of terrible shootings as evidence of a nonexistent anti-police trend skews the debate on issues such as aggressive police tactics, police militarization, the use of Tasers, searches and pat-downs, and police transparency and accountability. Officer safety is important, but it should not come at the expense of the safety and civil liberties of the people they are sworn to protect.
I this this paragraph (the last paragraph of the essay) pretty much reveals the writer's anti-LE slant.
__________________
In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 13:53   #3
Rohniss
Senior Member
 
Rohniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,743
What absolute crap.

ETA:

As for the commentary, I think I know where a lot of GnGers get their talking points from now.
__________________
Note: All of the above expressed opinions above are those of the poster. No representation is made that the above post construes legal advice or is to be considered as anything but the personal opinion of the poster. View at your own Peril.

Last edited by Rohniss; 01-31-2011 at 13:55..
Rohniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 14:25   #4
SKSman57
Senior Member
 
SKSman57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 474
This pathetic humanist libertine piece of filth has openly cheered for cop-killers in the past. His opinions are less than worthless.

BTW: Overriding sense of entitlement and disrespect of authority are absolutely involved in this increasing problem.
SKSman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 14:53   #5
Rohniss
Senior Member
 
Rohniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSman57 View Post
This pathetic humanist libertine piece of filth has openly cheered for cop-killers in the past. His opinions are less than worthless.

BTW: Overriding sense of entitlement and disrespect of authority are absolutely involved in this increasing problem.
Who the OP, or the Author?
__________________
Note: All of the above expressed opinions above are those of the poster. No representation is made that the above post construes legal advice or is to be considered as anything but the personal opinion of the poster. View at your own Peril.
Rohniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:10   #6
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,603
Garbage.
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:10   #7
JSandi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSman57 View Post
This pathetic humanist libertine piece of filth has openly cheered for cop-killers in the past. His opinions are less than worthless.

BTW: Overriding sense of entitlement and disrespect of authority are absolutely involved in this increasing problem.
What about a public perception that there is an overriding sense of entitlement among cops and a demand for citizen respect and unquestionable submission to authority?

JSandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:11   #8
JSandi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohniss View Post
Who the OP, or the Author?
Radley Balko of Reason Magazine.
JSandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:15   #9
JSandi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSman57 View Post
This pathetic humanist libertine piece of filth has openly cheered for cop-killers in the past. His opinions are less than worthless.
Well I didn't expect him to be on anyones Christmas Card list here, considered that most of y'all are slightly right of the Kaiser when it come to law and order issues...
JSandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:16   #10
Rohniss
Senior Member
 
Rohniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSandi View Post
What about a public perception that there is an overriding sense of entitlement among cops and a demand for citizen respect and unquestionable submission to authority?

That's not a public perception, that's the perception of a bunch of Anarchist-lites, calling themselves Libertarians, who think they are somehow smarter than everyone else and have an grossly overinflated sense of self-worth.

In short, &*$% 'em.
__________________
Note: All of the above expressed opinions above are those of the poster. No representation is made that the above post construes legal advice or is to be considered as anything but the personal opinion of the poster. View at your own Peril.
Rohniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:19   #11
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock
 
mrsurfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,744
There is definitely anti cop sediment out there. The #1 source, our politicians. We are portrayed as pigs feeding at the trough of tax dollars. We are vilified for having the audacity of wanting to collect a pension they we have paid into without fail, while here in NJ, the politicians have skipped years of their contribution to balance their budgets and buy votes. How can you expect the public to respect us, when our leaders are bashing us on a daily basis.
__________________
Sig P225/S&W 60, 66, M&P 45, M&P 9c, 1911SC/Glock G22 Gen4, G23 Gen4 & G36/Kimber Pro Tactical II/Ruger Mk II/H&K P30, 45c/Colt Defender
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:23   #12
tortoise
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 657
12345
__________________
Quote:
If you don't own at least one J frame you have no soul.
Niners #2123, Sub-Club #2123, Wheelhouse #2123,
Snubbie Club #2123, Black Rifle Club #2123

Last edited by tortoise; 07-05-2013 at 19:04..
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:29   #13
Rohniss
Senior Member
 
Rohniss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Still need to ask?

And the Ignore list grows by one.
No I'm good, I'm one of those twisted **** that likes to argue with people on the internet.



Didn't this forum use to have a "Troll Patrol"? I seem to remember one when I was lurking without a handle.
__________________
Note: All of the above expressed opinions above are those of the poster. No representation is made that the above post construes legal advice or is to be considered as anything but the personal opinion of the poster. View at your own Peril.

Last edited by Rohniss; 01-31-2011 at 15:42..
Rohniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 15:43   #14
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member
 
PinkoCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,921


Quote:
Originally Posted by JSandi View Post
...most of y'all are slightly right of the Kaiser when it come to law and order issues...
You'd be surprised. I grew up behind the Iron Curtain. That experience instilled in me a healthy defiant streak. I fully understand the irony behind someone with my world view becoming a cop. I avoid political debates on CT and in other cop forums (internet or meat-space) because my political views are quite different from the majority of cops I know. I am very skeptical when it comes to government use of power. Because I am a cop, it means that I am very judicial in when I decide to press an issue, simply because I think that the government sticks its ugly nose in too many areas where it doesn't belong.

HOWEVER, I am a cop. I am paid to enforce the law. That sometimes puts me in risky situations that arise out of concepts I may or may not wholly agree with. I do it because law makers (whom I may also agree or disagree with) enacted laws, and the people have entrusted me with making sure that if someone breaks one of those, that person will get an appointment with a judge, who will examine the incident in some detail. I am not an ordinance whore, and I do not write every equipment violation I see or stop. I try not to lose sight of the fact that I am a citizen as well as a cop, and I try to treat people as I would like to be treated (as a citizen, not a cop).

The other side of the coin is that, like any other citizen, I expect to go home at the end of my shift and spend quality time with my wife and kids. Because the citizens have put me in a role where, on their behalf, I take certain kinds of risks, I expect that they will allow me to take certain actions to minimize those risks. No, I DEMAND that they allow me to do that. I think I am reasonable in what I ask. Just because I am a cop does not mean I want to live in a police state. Been there, done that. It sucked. I do what I do with great respect for the law and people's rights. I will also do what I need to do to ensure that others respect my rights, including the right to go home in one piece.
__________________
--PinkoCommie
_________________________________________
Maybe I'm crazy. --DaBigBR
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 16:00   #15
SKSman57
Senior Member
 
SKSman57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 474
Quote:
Who the OP, or the Author?
The Author, with his veneration of cop-killer Ryan Frederick. He's in the same mold as Vin Suprynowicz who wrote "The Ballad of Carl Drega".

I don't know what it is about these libertines and their craziness, but as a poster here pointed out, an over-inflated sense of self-worth is definitely among the possibilities.

Last edited by SKSman57; 01-31-2011 at 16:04..
SKSman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 16:01   #16
SKSman57
Senior Member
 
SKSman57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 474
Quote:
What about a public perception that there is an overriding sense of entitlement among cops and a demand for citizen respect and unquestionable submission to authority?
Holy Strawman Batman!
SKSman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 16:20   #17
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSandi View Post
Well I didn't expect him to be on anyones Christmas Card list here, considered that most of y'all are slightly right of the Kaiser when it come to law and order issues...
Nice broad brush. I'm actually more of a libertarian. Respect the rights of others and you won't have a problem with me.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 16:26   #18
JSandi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSman57 View Post
Holy Strawman Batman!
Damn!

There is intelligent life in here!
JSandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 16:30   #19
tortoise
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 657
12345
__________________
Quote:
If you don't own at least one J frame you have no soul.
Niners #2123, Sub-Club #2123, Wheelhouse #2123,
Snubbie Club #2123, Black Rifle Club #2123

Last edited by tortoise; 07-05-2013 at 19:02..
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 16:36   #20
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 45,047
Blog Entries: 1


Why don't you research the assault rate.
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 960
270 Members
690 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42