GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2010, 14:58   #321
Wetterman

BIGBORE mind answering these questions I've asked earlier on this thread?

Quote:
bigbore
what's that guide rod assembly on your gun?
Quote:
Bigbore any pics of it after the evapo-rust treatment? The youtube videos seem to have been removed.
Old 01-31-2010, 23:51   #322
CELT

Great thread.

I have a HK45 but really don't take it out too much due to the cost of ammo and the fact that it's a $900-$1000 gun and don't want to get it nicked in any way shape or form.

I'm looking at a G21SF and the FN FNP hard as a primary .45ACP pistol. I already have a G19 so the G21SF is in the lead, plus it's less expensive.
Old 05-31-2010, 00:22   #323
Staberinde

This thread among the others convinced me to go for Glock. Now few thousand rounds trough it it never let me down.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:44   #324
elLOCOmutha
NRA Benefactor

Yea all these tests are well and good but the real question is....

Will Dry firing hurt it?!?!

Amazing torture tests, can't wait to get my new G30SF and start pampering it. Thanks to people like you I will never have to do these grueling tests.
Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 21:07   #325
W4CNG

Send a message via AIM to W4CNG
G21 Durability??

I have one of the first series of Glock G21's into the US with an XL serial number. The only issue I had with it was chipping extractors in 1992 (FTE). Got that fixed and have only cleaned it 5 times since then with more than 20,000 rounds thru it mostly lead reloads (yes it will shoot hard lead 200Gr SWC's at 190PF) with no issues and no warranty issues. I am now abusing my G-35 with an after market fully supported chamber barrel at 170PF with 200Gr bullits in USPSA competetion. The reason for the G35 is 19+1 in the gun, the G21 is 15+1. More is better in competetion. I only clean a gun and then take it to the range to shoot it. How do you know your really clean gun will go BANG when you need it after cleaning it and not test firing it???
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
Old 07-13-2010, 21:24   #326
04LS1GTO

Curious if there are any recent photos of this gun. This was one of the first tests that inspired me to get a Glock. I would love to see pictures of this thing today.
Old 09-01-2010, 17:34   #327
Dewberry

any recent photos or info?
Old 09-01-2010, 19:21   #328
bigbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewberry View Post
any recent photos or info?
nothing new, I've been out of ideas for a while.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43   #329
DogRomeo

I wish I could rate this thread so I could give it a 5 star. Some of the stuff you did made me laugh & shake my head. On a personal note, 1 of my brothers is all about how Glocks aren't all that & he wants a USP, fine, they're great guns & 1 day I actually want 1 myself. I sent him an email saying to take a look at page 1, about half way down when you did the comparison though. lol
CURRAHEE!
Old 09-06-2010, 19:36   #330
04LS1GTO

I know you haven't done any new tests Big Bore, but could you maybe post a few pictures of the gun as it is today? I have always been intrigued by this.
Old 09-12-2010, 20:11   #331
Dewberry

do you still use the gun?
Old 11-19-2010, 00:56   #332
BOOSTED12A
sequestered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbore View Post
nothing new, I've been out of ideas for a while.....
let it soak in a river for a few months during the summer, get some barnicles get growing on it.....
Old 12-01-2010, 18:38   #333
bophi

tuff glock

glock's are tuffer than rocks. this is proof

1911 owner/operator , glock 19,22,owner/operator
Old 12-22-2010, 19:24   #334
dgbee456

I just bought a 21SF With TrijiconS! this gives me hope that larry vickers was wrong about the Glock21SF
Old 01-08-2011, 23:43   #335
Timbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbee456 View Post
I just bought a 21SF With TrijiconS! this gives me hope that larry vickers was wrong about the Glock21SF
What did he say about the 21SF?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17   #336
Clint-M

My understanding is that this is touchy information so take what you will from it and hopefully I won't get in forum trouble for posting it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vickers
"Sand Test

Just had a chance to do a harsh sand test on few different handguns. This test was not scientific but was very enlightening.

Pistols tested were; HK USP Tactical
Customized 1911
rack grade GI 1911
Glock 21

Test consisted of placing each pistol loaded in a Bianchi GI field holster inside a plastic bag with approx 2 cups of fine/medium grit sand ( North Carolina type). Then the bag was shaken vigorously for 10 seconds while holding onto the pistol butt for safety. The pistol was then taken out and 3 mags were fired through the 1911 and 2 fully loaded mags were fired through the HK and Glock - roughly the same amount of ammo. The sand coverage was very good and uniformly covered the pistols. The pistols were loaded in the mode you would expect in a field environment - condition 3 for the 1911, loaded for the Glock and loaded in DA mode for the USP.A test was done dry and lubed with TW 25B. This test represented EXTREME sand conditions - not normal field use, even in sandy conditions.A brief rundown of the results follow;

1)Carrying your gun dry in this environment is a NO GO despite what some will say. All pistols performed worse dry than lubed.

2)All pistols required some manipulation in order to fire - none would function normally straight out of the holster.

3)Overall the HK USP performed the best - the performance of it dry was roughly the same as the customized 1911 but was definately the best lubed. Overall it performed well.

4)The custom 1911 was second - interestingly enough the trigger track was not a real problem - the sand that went in through the ejection port to the bottom lugs area caused the most problems. Once the sand shifted in this area the pistol functioned better.

5)The rack grade GI 1911 was a distant third - the custom 1911 had an 18 pound recoil spring and that helped with feeding greatly vs the rack grade gun. Swap out the recoil spring and it probably would have done better.

6)The shocker of the day - the Glock 21 FAILED terribly. The big problem was failure of the trigger to reset. Also at times the pistol would not fire due to sand in the trigger mechanism. The dry test could not even be completed with the Glock due to this.This surprised all of us as we expected the Glock to do quite well.

Moral of the story; The 1911, even in its customized mode, can get the job done if you set it up to succeed. Lube it right, carry it in the right holster and in the proper mode, and it won't let you down - just like it hasn't for nearly a 100 years.

The HK USP series are good guns - well designed and well made - for service pistols. The ergonomics hurt the pistol dramatically but for an out of the box service pistol/field gun, they get my endorsement.

The Glock 21 is a dog - always has been. It has the rep of being the worst gun Glock makes. I have a Glock 17 and 19 and like them for what they are - but don't get sucked into the Glock hype - they are not magical guns. Remember what your dad said when you were in 3rd grade; don't believe everything you read.

Hope you guys got something out of this - I did." Larry Vickers
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16   #337
Timbonez

Thanks for the info, Clint. It seems he never liked the 21 to begin with. Anyway that's not the point of this thread. Bigbore brutalized his G21sf and it kept running, and that's great.
BHP Club member #69
Old 01-11-2011, 13:04   #338
Wetterman

Quote:
The Glock 21 is a dog - always has been. It has the rep of being the worst gun Glock makes.
Reputation? Does reputation mean Larry's opinion. I've never heard of that kind of reputation.. stupid as I am..

Is it a big surprise that HK performed the best?

"Larry Vickers has worked with several companies, including Heckler and Koch"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Vickers