Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2010, 17:36   #41
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
Just a few months ago in my local Costco, a lady and her husband passed by me at the meat counter and she turned around and said, "I really like seeing that!". We all spoke a few more times as we encounter each other before checking out.
Obviously your Costcos don't have signs like mine (see below). I thought they had instituted a national policy against carrying of any kind in their stores.

BTW, glad to see this thread active. GT needs more exposure to OC. Thanks, Russ.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 06-07-2011 at 08:17..
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 22:06   #42
GoBigOrange

I was openly carrying my Glock 19 at wal-mart about a week ago and as I was going through the self checkout one of their "special" employees says to me "It's not often that you see someone carrying a Glock 30mm"

I about lost it laughing. I figured it was useless to correct him. Who knew Glock made a 30mm?
GoBigOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 23:39   #43
bapak2ja

My wife and I, along with my son (JCA1776) and his wife, and my unmarried son (Mk2ja) stopped at KFC in Auburn, IN off I-69, last night about 18:30. Mk2ja was OCing, JCA1776 and I were CCing. Our wives ordered first, then the guys; I joked with the cashier, who appeared to be a high-school age girl, and paid the bill. We served ourselves from the buffet and sat down at a corner table. I hung my coat on my chair before I sat down, revealing my weapon.

Shortly after saying grace, a young man walked up to me and said (verbatim as best as I can recall):

"Do you always carry guns into a family restaurant? You scared the crap out of my kids! Thanks a lot!"

He then turned and walked quickly away. Mk2ja called to him, "Have a good evening," but the rest of us made no reply. I had a mouthful of chicken, but I had no opportunity to reply anyway. The guy left too quickly.

At no point were were rowdy, noisy or threatening in any way. We just ordered, talked amongst ourselves, joked with the staff and picked up our food.

First of all, KFC made no indication of concern or displeasure about our weapons. The staff just took our order, gave us our cups for the drinks and went about their own business.

Second, I never saw the children. I vaguely remember seeing the man seated near the drinks bar on the other side of the shop from where we sat. I have no idea of how our weapons affected them.

From one perspective, the fault lies with the father. All he had to do was explain to his children that weapons are nothing to fear. They are useful tools for self-protection that must be handled wisely and properly; but in the hands of law-abiding and peaceful citizens, they ensure our liberty and safety.

From another perspective, OC frightens children and those unused to seeing weapons in public. Therefore, OC should not be practiced in family situations.

This leads to some questions as part of an AAR:
1. Should responsible citizens opt for CC to avoid frightening the children?
2. Does the father have a valid complaint?
3. Should we have followed the father into the parking lot and opened a can of "whup a**" on him? (OK, just kidding! It was a joke!)

What do you think?
bapak2ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 23:44   #44
bapak2ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKINMYGLOCK View Post
People think you are the spawn of Satin if you open carry in northern ohio. That's why I carry IWB.
Thanks for the warning. However, I and my son were OC at a plaza on I-80/90 yesterday, just east of Toledo. No one seemed to mind. Maybe some folks are learning wisdom.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:54   #45
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapak2ja View Post
My wife and I, along with my son (JCA1776) and his wife, and my unmarried son (Mk2ja) stopped at KFC in Auburn, IN off I-69, last night about 18:30. Mk2ja was OCing, JCA1776 and I were CCing. Our wives ordered first, then the guys; I joked with the cashier, who appeared to be a high-school age girl, and paid the bill. We served ourselves from the buffet and sat down at a corner table. I hung my coat on my chair before I sat down, revealing my weapon.

Shortly after saying grace, a young man walked up to me and said (verbatim as best as I can recall):

"Do you always carry guns into a family restaurant? You scared the crap out of my kids! Thanks a lot!"

He then turned and walked quickly away. Mk2ja called to him, "Have a good evening," but the rest of us made no reply. I had a mouthful of chicken, but I had no opportunity to reply anyway. The guy left too quickly.

At no point were were rowdy, noisy or threatening in any way. We just ordered, talked amongst ourselves, joked with the staff and picked up our food.

First of all, KFC made no indication of concern or displeasure about our weapons. The staff just took our order, gave us our cups for the drinks and went about their own business.

Second, I never saw the children. I vaguely remember seeing the man seated near the drinks bar on the other side of the shop from where we sat. I have no idea of how our weapons affected them.

From one perspective, the fault lies with the father. All he had to do was explain to his children that weapons are nothing to fear. They are useful tools for self-protection that must be handled wisely and properly; but in the hands of law-abiding and peaceful citizens, they ensure our liberty and safety.

From another perspective, OC frightens children and those unused to seeing weapons in public. Therefore, OC should not be practiced in family situations.

3. Should we have followed the father into the parking lot and opened a can of "whup a**" on him? (OK, just kidding! It was a joke!)

What do you think?
It's not your problem or concern if this father has indoctrinated his children to fear firearms, so it's best to let it lay. I would not move from OC to CC just to make another patron or his family feel safe. I would be polite and act in a normal friendly manner but that is where it would end.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03   #46
apache36

Quote:

1. Should responsible citizens opt for CC to avoid frightening the children? it's your right to OC....
2. Does the father have a valid complaint? not really IMHO....he just lacks a basic education on firearms and firearm safety.....this is all part of the softening of society....these are the people that i refer to as sheeple....
3. Should we have followed the father into the parking lot and opened a can of "whup a**" on him? (OK, just kidding! It was a joke!) granted your kidding, but saying nothing more than "have a nice day" is the best way to go about this one...sometimes it's best to "kill 'em with kindness"...

What do you think?
apache36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25   #47
bapak2ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache36 View Post
Well said.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:55   #48
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Bapak2, I take you are not from Indiana. As an earlier resident poster observed, IN is a little strange in that it has some of the most liberal guns laws in the nation but a population that is not used to seeing OC and generally freaks out over it. Our laws do not distinguish between open and concealed i.e., one must buy a permit to take a handgun off of their personal or business property. We are one of the few (if not only) to offer a lifetime permit. Supposedly 6% of the populace is permitted but it is exceedingly rare to see an OC. Further, our state law complicates things by allowing local jurisdictions to enact their own restrictions. For example, Indianapolis bans carry on all publicly owned property which includes buildings, parks etc. So, one must be familiar with a lot of laws to avoid inadvertent violations. When you add it all up, it seems most permit holders choose to simply avoid the hassles and CC.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 12-28-2010 at 08:57..
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01   #49
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Not surprising. Most folks like to choose when they get attention, not dress or display themselves in a manner that seeks it constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
it seems most permit holders choose to simply avoid the hassles and CC.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:08   #50
hikerpaddler

Send a message via AIM to hikerpaddler
Very true. But it is important for oc to be legal to protect accidental exposure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Not surprising. Most folks like to choose when they get attention, not dress or display themselves in a manner that seeks it constantly.

Last edited by hikerpaddler; 12-28-2010 at 09:10..
hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56   #51
bapak2ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts243 View Post
yea is there any stories from indiana, particularly in a city somewhere in indiana?
most of the posts in this one and the other thread are from AZ, or very rural areas that they know most the ppl who they see.
Here's one from Indiana.

What do you think?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37   #52
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
What do you think?
I think if a man scares my kids because he's carrying a gun, I'm not going to walk up to the scary man with the gun and mouth off...

If he's not dangerous, I can mouth off to him, but there's no point. Tell the kids its ok.

If he's actually dangerous, and armed, no point in focusing his attention on me.

I think the guy is an idiot. In addition to being ant-gun, which I will admit are 2 separate issues.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11   #53
bapak2ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
I think if a man scares my kids because he's carrying a gun, I'm not going to walk up to the scary man with the gun and mouth off...

If he's not dangerous, I can mouth off to him, but there's no point. Tell the kids its ok.

If he's actually dangerous, and armed, no point in focusing his attention on me.

I think the guy is an idiot. In addition to being ant-gun, which I will admit are 2 separate issues.

Randy
Good thinking!
Old 01-13-2011, 23:47   #54
cuzican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
I don't know of a single entertaining story of OC here in AZ because if you do it, most people will just act like they don't even notice.
Pretty much the same here in Montana. Guns are so common nobody really pays any attention to them.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 14:26   #55
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Once I was carrying my G19 in public, loaded and slung visibly in its Roni G1 carbine conversion kit, resulting in a shoulder weapon approximately the size of an Uzi. I was in civilian garb and was not mobilized at the time. I wanted to get the train home and I thought that its presence might freak out the station guards manning the mandatory security checkpoint. I had my gun license in hand when I was approached by one of the guards just before the checkpoint, which I showed. The guard inspected my license and asked me to take the magazine out of the pistol. I said that the gun was a pistol and not a rifle and pistols are supposed to be carried loaded [sic]. He consented and I went my way, later boarding the train. As I was acting normally, few people took any notice of this unusual weapon combination once I had passed security and I was not asked any questions, despite open carrying.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.

Last edited by Lior; 01-18-2011 at 14:30..
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50   #56
Glock_Fan09

Today and 900+ days before then I open carried, and no one noticed, called the Police, ran away (that I saw) or yelled at me.

The End, lol
Glock_Fan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50   #57
cdchris12

Here's one for y'all.

I recently moved to Iowa. I'm from TN and have my CCW from there. Iowa's laws just changed on January 1st so that CCW and OC is now a right protected by the constitution of the state of Iowa.

My girlfriend sent me to buy some sugar and hot pockets from our local Hyvee. I was OC'ing my Glock 26 with a +2 mag extender/grip in a Fobus holster. I walked into the store, gathered my items, and got no odd looks or stares. While I was in the checkout line, the cashier noticed me OC'ing, and asked, "Is that a Glock?" She and I talked for about 5 minutes about my pistol, with her saying she wanted to buy one as a birthday present for her boyfriend. This was in full view of the customers, the management, and within about 50 feet of a banking branch. No one but her said a word about it to me.
cdchris12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 19:31   #58
moby clarke
Big Ticket

This happened during the summer of 2009.

I was carrying openly while out picking up posters from our garage sale. I parked on the corner and got out with my 5 year old daughter. Approaching us on Lowery were 2, well, uh, potentially not well-intentioned individuals. They slowed down as they got to my car and kind of "hung out" for a moment, without letting their eyes leave us. I had them in view the entire time, while carrying on a pleasant conversation with my daughter. I am left handed, hence, my carry gun, the remarkably outstanding, accurate, and did I mention, large, P7, was not immediately visible to them. We were about 45 feet from them as we reached the corner. While my daughter grabbed the signs, I casually turned about 115 degrees. I paused, making sure they saw my gun, silhouetted nicely against a white shirt, and rested my hand, innocently enough, on the pistol as I continued to make small talk with my daughter.

Their demeanor changed dramatically and an animated conversation took place between them. One said, in not-quite-a-whisper-end-of-exchange-way, "Damn, that is a big gun, Nxxxxr! I'm out." As I led my daughter around a large column on the sidewalk to keep the distance manageable if things got hinky, they were on the move in their original direction. As they passed, we were now on the street side of my car, one remarked, "Evenin' officer" with eyes straight ahead. The other guy had his head bowed.

Now, I am not the brightest bulb in the drawer, but I have a small suspicion that my openly carried firearm may have refocused these particular gentlemenís intentions.
G1 Niners club #19069, Walther club #37, Niner club #19069, HK club #108, Kahr club #807
moby clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:03   #59
MKEgal

Quote:
most permit holders choose to simply avoid the hassles and CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg
You're making a common mistake...
OC does not always attract attention, nor do people who OC want to draw attention to ourselves.

Yes, there are a few immature people (who probably should still be under mommy's close control) who show off. But the vast majority of OCers I've met put on a pistol like they carry their cell phones. It's another tool, and while aware that it's there, it's not a huge part of our day.

(Kinda like having breasts... Those who don't have them think they'd be foremost in the thoughts of those who do, while I can tell you from experience I mostly notice them when they get in the way.)

I carry a G17. I have a smaller pistol for when I have to conceal (around family who would probably be a bit upset to learn I carry), but most of the time the 17 is with me. Here in WI we can only OC (so far).

Most people don't notice it.
Some who do admit that they can't tell it's a gun!

The only problem I've ever had was quite a doozy (wrongful arrest, with me getting several thousand dollars reparation), but I have statements from witnesses (police documents) saying that most people around me didn't notice I was armed, and of those who did, some thought it was some sort of medical kit! This in the summer while wearing tan pants & a white shirt - not even low-contrast.

When we get Constitutional Carry, there will be times I conceal & there will still be times I carry openly. I'm an adult, it's my choice - I don't need the gov't to tell me how to dress any more than I need (or want) them to tell me how to worship.
or see
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for contact info for my lawer.

Last edited by MKEgal; 02-06-2011 at 10:07..
MKEgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 15:15   #60
MaximaDrvr

From NC: OC legal and protected by court cases.
Had this happen to me today.
Copied from local OC forum that I regular.

Troubled at Food Lion....
but the manager was one of us. (Albemarle Rd, east charlotte)

I was shopping with my wife, OCing a G23C in a Don Hume leather holster, wearing jeans and a black t-shirt.
I was in the frozen food section with my wife when an older, larger gentleman with his two grandkids (I'm assuming) stopped me and asked if I was store security.
I told him I was not, and he asked why I was carrying a gun. I told him it was for self protection.
He told me that carrying the gun this way was illegal and I shouldn't be doing it. (repeatedly)
I informed him that NC is an open carry state and that carrying in the fashion that I was, is perfectly legal. He said that he was a Sheriff Deputy, and that OC was not legal. I said that it was, and that there are court cases that say so.

He then changed his tactic. He said that the store was posted and that only LEO can carry there. I corrected him again, and said that I shop here frequently, and that the store is not posted. He told me again that I was wrong.
I asked which county he was a deputy for, and he pulled out CMPD (retired) ID, and then current Mecklemburg Deputy ID. I stated again that OC was legal and that I was doing nothing wrong, wished him a good day and started to walk away. He said, " well I'm going to go get the management and have a talk with them about you."

The next isle over, i'm getting the lasagna from the freezer section and I see the gentleman with a food lion employee (appears management) so I smile and wave at them. The man says, "That is the guy I was talking about right there."
The lady (management) says "I'm going to go get the store manager and he is going to talk to you."
I say OK and keep shopping.

On my way to check out, I see the manager (button down shirt and tie), the lady (other manager), and the gentleman talking. It sounds like he is telling them that they are wrong, so I keep walking to check out. As I'm checking out, the manager is waiting just past the bagger. I have my wife finish checking out and go talk to the manager.

I asked if he was waiting for me, and he said that he was. I said that we can talk now if he wants. He informed me that he didn't need to talk to me, he was just waiting for me to leave. I inquired why. His response was something along these lines:
-The way I was carrying made some people nervous (I asked if he was referring to the deputy)
-The customer service manager (the lady I saw) was nervous about the gun as well, and didn't want to talk to me
-He was in the parking lot trying to leave when they called him back in to talk to me about the gun
-He agreed to stay in the store until I left to make the CS manager and the deputy happy.
-He told them that that it was my RIGHT as an AMERICAN to have my firearm, and it didn't matter if they were uncomfortable. The store isn't posted and a customer can carry any way they feel like it. He was not going to infringe on anybody's rights. Food Lion is not a bank or a school. (He wished food lion would let him carry when he was there.)

He pretty much told the Deputy that he was wrong and to quit complaining.
He told the other manager that guns are fine.
He was completely for firearms.

All in all, a pretty good outing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Students for Concealed Carry State Director

MaximaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote