SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-19-2010, 17:28   #21
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscob View Post
My load of 4.7 WST 200g lee lswc (my cast)WWAC LLA @1.200-1.220 is incredible in Kimber 4 in. and Sig 220. An 8 lb'er of WST and most all my lead is dedicated to this.

Fred, your info (and suggestions) is like a book of reference all has worked for me well. Your info on WSF is all I use on 9mm and .40 also.
Hey, as long as you aren't using TG, I am a happy man.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 19:14   #22
nscob

wst

Well I found some .357 I loaded with TG. It was some I forgot I had,and while destroying the targets and grinning(686,6 in.)I made mental note to get more, but decided against after reading more of your post's about it. I am happy with 2400 and Unique. Also the 1.200-1.220 on the .45 looks ok to you Fred,or anyone else. Thanks again Fred.

Last edited by nscob; 12-20-2010 at 19:16..
nscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 19:29   #23
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1775 View Post
I'm using 4.7 of WST under a Hornady 230 RN-FMJ at 1.250" just like Fred has suggested (which is where I think I got my data from originally). Works flawlessly and is very accurate in my G30 even with the FCD. It is also the same charge I'm using for 9mm and 40 cal. A .57 disc in my Lee pro auto disk works great.
Hard to beat that. 3 different calibers. One powder and charge weight. Even I could remember that.

Quote:
Reminds me that I used the last of my tightgroup on Sunday.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 19:50   #24
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Fred, what range do you recommend for a 9mm 125g again using WST? I accidentally deleted our PM's discussing it?

I want to load a BC 125g moly coated LRN long at 1.150 for my Spartan.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 20:03   #25
Wash-ar15

I shot some 147gr lead with 3.6 Wst at IDPA and did all head shots with no problem
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 21:27   #26
ColCol

I don't even see WST listed as a powder for a 230 gr bullet in the Hornady manual#7). I've never used that powder before. In fact, never heard of it until a few months ago. Is it faster than HS-6...sort of like AA#5?
ColCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 21:51   #27
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash-ar15 View Post
I shot some 147gr lead with 3.6 Wst at IDPA and did all head shots with no problem
Is it chronoed? What about 124/125g 9mm?
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 22:19   #28
Wash-ar15

have not chrono'ed it yet,but I am confident it should make it.Have not tried wst with 124 lead yet,but i do load a 124 gr PD FMJ over 5.1 gr WST and that thing is great.I like it so much I'm gonna pump out 1k as SHTf ammo. I did chrono this load and its going 1085. about 135pf.
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15   #29
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
I don't even see WST listed as a powder for a 230 gr bullet in the Hornady manual#7). I've never used that powder before. In fact, never heard of it until a few months ago. Is it faster than HS-6...sort of like AA#5?
It's faster than HS-6... not really sure on AA#5.

It's actually a good .45 powder. I'm gonna start trying it in 9mm next. It's much cleaner than 231...

There's loads out there for it, you just gotta look around. Fred has posted plenty of loads for it.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02   #30
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Fred, what range do you recommend for a 9mm 125g again using WST? I accidentally deleted our PM's discussing it?

I want to load a BC 125g moly coated LRN long at 1.150 for my Spartan.
Start & 4.6gr & work it up to 4.9gr as max depending on OAL. SHould run right around 1100fps @ 4.9gr w/ a LRN or LTC, again, depending on OAL.
Quote:
WST is listed in the Hodgdon manual & site. Just another reason to own more than one manual. It's not practical for every data source to try every powder & bullet combo. WST is a tiny bit faster than W231, much faster than AA#5 or HS6, slower than TG. It is best used for std vel loads in low pressure rounds like the 45acp, but can be used for upper midrange loads in 9mm & 40. If every TG user tried it, they would never go back to TG.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-21-2010 at 11:06..
Old 12-21-2010, 18:36   #31
unclebob

Quote:
If every TG user tried it, they would never go back to TG.
Sorry Fried but I have tryed it. But I for one well stick with the TG.
GSSF Life Member
Old 12-21-2010, 18:40   #32
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Sorry Fried but I have tryed it. But I for one well stick with the TG.
Well Bob, there is always one. Curious why stay w/ TG, what did you not like about WST?
Old 12-21-2010, 19:16   #33
unclebob

Quote:
Well Bob, there is always one. Curious why stay w/ TG, what did you not like about WST?
For the application that I use it for which is GSSF. I did not get as good as accuracy as I did with the TG and I did not like the recoil. Maybe if I played with it more I could have gotten the accuracy down. But then I still would have the recoil that I do not like. Plus the group that I travel with for the GSSF matches. Some of them use the same load. So if for some reason I had to use up the extra ammo that I take. And I need more ammo I can use theirs. Or they can use mine if need be. Our loads are about as low as you can make them and still work in all of the stock guns that we use.
GSSF Life Member
Old 12-22-2010, 01:06   #34
fredj338

Hmm, I have always found he recoil of WST quite soft compared to equal vel loads using other powders. I don't do gamer loads, so I can't really compare. I understand your point, those tiny little charges just doesn't work for me.

Last edited by fredj338; 12-22-2010 at 01:06..

Tags
45acp, g21, g21sf, reloads, wst