Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2010, 14:30   #1
DeltaNu1142
Glock talker

My new AR15 is on the way!

Christmas came early--my brother finished building my AR15:

Black Rifle Forum

My first question is, what length rail is that? I'm going to start looking for rail covers... aside from several boxes of ammo, what other goodies should I be looking into?!?
Old 11-09-2010, 14:38   #2
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Looks like a 7" Carbine length rail.

Nice AR15!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 15:13   #3
DeltaNu1142
Glock talker

He let me know he's not sending that mag. He's painted several of his own mags with stenciled numbers to tell them apart; he's apparently been putting a lot of rounds downrange lately & his springs are getting weak. 7" rail, confirmed... he's also recommending the Magpul AFG, but I'm not so sure.

Last edited by DeltaNu1142; 11-09-2010 at 15:16..
DeltaNu1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 17:13   #4
Tucson_1

I have the classic question before making any suggestions... What is your intended use for this rifle? Home protection, range toy, etc???
Tucson_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 19:09   #5
mixflip

I'd loose the big, bulky, heavy and basically antiquated rear iron sight. I'd get a lighter LaRue version if you must have the mil-spec style knobs though. Or if your on a budget, get a Magpul MBUS. They're light and work well.

It looks like you want to use it as a SHTF, close quarters, HD, range fun gun? So a red dot optic would be a good investment also...just my 2 cents.

Last edited by mixflip; 11-09-2010 at 19:10..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 22:51   #6
den888

Very nice !
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 23:18   #7
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
... he's also recommending the Magpul AFG, but I'm not so sure.

The 7" carbine rail isn't the ideal platform for what the AFG was designed for.
Old 11-14-2010, 23:42   #8
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

The goodie you should have been looking into was research. Then you would have known to get a midlength gas system with a 16" barrel. Better luck next time. Send it to ADCO and have it cut to a 12.5" and SBR it.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16   #9
DeltaNu1142
Glock talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I'd loose the big, bulky, heavy and basically antiquated rear iron sight. I'd get a lighter LaRue version if you must have the mil-spec style knobs though. Or if your on a budget, get a Magpul MBUS. They're light and work well.
It looks like you want to use it as a SHTF, close quarters, HD, range fun gun? So a red dot optic would be a good investment also...just my 2 cents.
That's pretty much it. This wouldn't be the first thing I grab in a HD situation. It's a playtoy for the range. First to go is the carry handle once I can pick up some optics. And I was thinking I like the Troy Industries flip-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
The goodie you should have been looking into was research. Then you would have known to get a midlength gas system with a 16" barrel. Better luck next time. Send it to ADCO and have it cut to a 12.5" and SBR it.
My brother configured it. He manufactures these rifles for a living, and if it's alright I'll take his input over yours--but your patronizing tone is always welcome. Like nuts dangling from a pickup's bumper or those stick-on fender vents on Chrysler sedans, it helps with figuring out the kinda guy you are.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:27   #10
glock22357
Got Ammo???

Quote:
Ease back player.

Just because it isn't what you would get, doesn't mean it isn't a damn fine rifle. In fact it's a clone of an M4A1, it just needs optics and a VFG, AN/PEQ2, M203, you name it!!

Last edited by glock22357; 11-15-2010 at 11:52..
glock22357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 13:45   #11
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
I think I'm not out of line by saying... Butt out.

To the OP, enjoy your rifle!
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 14:15   #12
raven11

good looking rifle OP!
Old 11-15-2010, 22:36   #13
1811guy
Formerly1811guy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
That's pretty much it. This wouldn't be the first thing I grab in a HD situation. It's a playtoy for the range. First to go is the carry handle once I can pick up some optics. And I was thinking I like the Troy Industries flip-ups.

My brother configured it. He manufactures these rifles for a living, and if it's alright I'll take his input over yours--but your patronizing tone is always welcome. Like nuts dangling from a pickup's bumper or those stick-on fender vents on Chrysler sedans, it helps with figuring out the kinda guy you are.
Don't listen to the haters, that is a damned nice rifle and your brother knows what he is doing. The carry handle with A2 sights will do you fine for the present. I have built many rifles that way for friends/family until they figure out what they want for optics. Once you decide on the optic, then pic up a Troy BUIS with it. The important thing is you can take your gun to the range in its present condition.

As far as accessories go, that is really going to depend on what you do with it. For the time being I would just get mags and ammo, then start saving for an optic. If you are leaning towards a defensive carbine, expect to pay $400-$500 for a decent red dot sight. An ACOG will cost double that. Once you have the optic, you can start looking at lights, VFG's and the like.

Congrats on the gun!
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!-I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
- Patrick Henry Mar 23, 1775
1811guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 22:53   #14
mjkeat

[/QUOTE]My brother configured it. He manufactures these rifles for a living, and if it's alright I'll take his input over yours--but your patronizing tone is always welcome. Like nuts dangling from a pickup's bumper or those stick-on fender vents on Chrysler sedans, it helps with figuring out the kinda guy you are.[/QUOTE]

Those things get me every time. How about those brightly colored reflective balls old people have in their front yards?

The rifle is fine. I have a carbine that shoots as smooth as my midlengths. Nothing wrong with a carbine gas system. Theyve been keeping us all safe for years.

Last edited by mjkeat; 11-15-2010 at 22:54..
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 22:58   #15
1811guy
Formerly1811guy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post

Those things get me every time. How about those brightly colored reflective balls old people have in their front yards?

The rifle is fine. I have a carbine that shoots as smooth as my midlengths. Nothing wrong with a carbine gas system. Theyve been keeping us all safe for years.
They are called gazing balls, and they look awesome next to my yard gnomes and pink flamingoes thank you very much. No excuse me while I put a Calvin pissing on Chevy sticker above the No Fear sticker on my Dodge's back window.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!-I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
- Patrick Henry Mar 23, 1775

Last edited by 1811guy; 11-15-2010 at 22:59..
1811guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 23:01   #16
mjkeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1811guy2 View Post
They are called gazing balls, and they look awesome next to my yard gnomes and pink flamingoes thank you very much. No excuse me while I put a Calvin pissing on Chevy sticker above the No Fear sticker on my Dodge's back window.
Thats to much. Next someones going to go on about oversized rear wings and high performance parts stickers on bone stock Hyundas.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47   #17
DeltaNu1142
Glock talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22357 View Post
Just because it isn't what you would get, doesn't mean it isn't a damn fine rifle. In fact it's a clone of an M4A1, it just needs optics and a VFG, AN/PEQ2, M203, you name it!!
M4A1 clone is what I was shooting for--thanks!

Quote:
Don't listen to the haters, that is a damned nice rifle and your brother knows what he is doing. The carry handle with A2 sights will do you fine for the present. I have built many rifles that way for friends/family until they figure out what they want for optics. Once you decide on the optic, then pic up a Troy BUIS with it. The important thing is you can take your gun to the range in its present condition.
As far as accessories go, that is really going to depend on what you do with it. For the time being I would just get mags and ammo, then start saving for an optic. If you are leaning towards a defensive carbine, expect to pay $400-$500 for a decent red dot sight. An ACOG will cost double that. Once you have the optic, you can start looking at lights, VFG's and the like.
Congrats on the gun!
Thanks! My brother won an ACOG in a company raffle, lucky SOB. I'd never wish hard times on my own family, but if he happens one day to need to unload a few things, maybe I can get one cheap I was going to start out with flip-ups, but he said no--get the A2 sights & worry about optics later. Again, as a HD gun it's not the first thing I'd go for, so I'll probably stop at optics, BUIS and a grip of some sort.

Quote:
Well played
Old 11-16-2010, 14:21   #18
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Nice rifle. Keep it simple. If it ends up being a SHTF gun then you don't want to have too much on it to complicate things.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:42   #19
En9999

Nice looking rifle. Just stick to the carry handle now until you figure out what optic you want.
Get some Pmags, ammo, and a decent sling, and start shooting.
En9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 21:31   #20
dc2integra

nice AR !
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ar15, bushmaster, rail covers