SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2010, 17:15   #1
REA9mm
get ready

Send a message via AIM to REA9mm Send a message via Skype™ to REA9mm
Where to shoot outside, in the St. Louis area?

With the warm weather approaching and the Jay Henges Shooting Range closed for upgrades until September 2010, where does one go to to shoot outdoors in the St. Louis region? I generally go to to top gun, but 25 yards is not enough for shooting an AR. And, unfortunately, I and most of my friends live in the city, so no shooting on private property for me.

So, without turning it into more than a 1 hour or longer trip, where does one shoot?

TIA for any info, and maybe we can meet up to put some rounds down range.
REA9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:16   #2
mister happy
Lefty

Of course, Busch is available. They're at 2360 Highway D, St. Charles. Exit I64/US40 at Mo 94 once you cross the Boone bridge, go south, and then east on D. 10am-4pm, closed on Wed. and Thurs.

Probably shouldn't have told you about it - it's crazy busy since Henges is closed.

Further out, there are a couple of unmanned state ranges in the area that I've been meaning to try: One is Frank Reifsnider State Forest, 2 miles east of Warrenton on Route M and 3 miles south on Schuetzenground Road. (Take I-70 west to Route 47 south to M east, to Schuetzenground south.) Open from sunrise to sunset, maintenanced on Mondays.

I think the best club is the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club - give them a call to see when they have open shoots or day passes to see if you want to join.

Last edited by mister happy; 03-04-2010 at 12:27..
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32   #3
REA9mm
get ready

Send a message via AIM to REA9mm Send a message via Skype™ to REA9mm
Thanks for the tips, I will probably give the Arnold club a call. Busch is just a lil too far of a drive for me. I heard there was a nice place to the south on the Illinois side, but I couldn't find any info online about it. Plus, I am a little leery of venturing into the Peoples Republic of Illinois with my firearms.
REA9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 20:58   #4
heehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister happy View Post
Of course, Busch is available. They're at 2360 Highway D, St. Charles. Exit I64/US40 at Mo 94 once you cross the Boone bridge, go south, and then east on D. 10am-4pm, closed on Wed. and Thurs.

Probably shouldn't have told you about it - it's crazy busy since Henges is closed.

Further out, there are a couple of unmanned state ranges in the area that I've been meaning to try: One is Frank Reifsnider State Forest, 2 miles east of Warrenton on Route M and 3 miles south on Schuetzenground Road. (Take I-70 west to Route 47 south to M east, to Schuetzenground south.) Open from sunrise to sunset, maintenanced on Mondays.

I think the best club is the Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club - give them a call to see when they have open shoots or day passes to see if you want to join.
I lived in Warrenton most of my life and still shoot there at least once a month. The Frank Reifsnider State Forest range is generally pretty empty. As mister happy said, it is unmanned. When the place is empty I take that opportunity to do defensive shooting drills and that sort of thing. It has a few 25 yard benches, a few 50 yard benches and a few 100 yard benches. The range itself is not the best. None the least it's a place to shoot. Hope this helps!
heehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:45   #5
mister happy
Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
I lived in Warrenton most of my life and still shoot there at least once a month. The Frank Reifsnider State Forest range is generally pretty empty. As mister happy said, it is unmanned. When the place is empty I take that opportunity to do defensive shooting drills and that sort of thing. It has a few 25 yard benches, a few 50 yard benches and a few 100 yard benches. The range itself is not the best. None the least it's a place to shoot. Hope this helps!
Is it true you need to ford a stream in your car to get to Reifsnider, so a truck/suv is needed? I've been told this by a coworker.
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 15:23   #6
MoCop

I'm pretty sure that's the Logan Conservation area located in Lincoln County. That's also a nice place to shoot. Pretty, open and grassy area with no range nazi's around to tell you to shoot once every three seconds.
Old 08-22-2010, 21:35   #7
blackbmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister happy View Post
Is it true you need to ford a stream in your car to get to Reifsnider, so a truck/suv is needed? I've been told this by a coworker.
Nah, just give it some throttle and you should be ok.
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote