Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-21-2010, 16:40   #1
Glock22Balla

Help choosing nitesite/light combo

I need some help. I recently bought a g22 for home defense. I want a light and night sites for it. I'm meaning towards just the light and not light/laser combo. I'm thinking trijicon NS or truglo TFOs and either TLR-1 or TLR-3 for the light or Maybe a streamlight. Not sure. If anyone has suggestions/comments that would be a huge help. Thanks in advance!
Glock22Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 00:02   #2
Glock22Balla

Any thoughts?
Glock22Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56   #3
Wickersham

Ameriglo are better quailty and have better option configurations than Trijicon, so they are my vote.
Wickersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:33   #4
bobandshawn
BOBO

I just set up my G23 with Trijicon night sites and a TLR-1. Can't imagine needing anything else! Look online and you can get great prices...

~Bob
bobandshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 14:43   #5
RayB
Retired Member

There's lots of good stuff out there!

Based on my experience with products, I'd recommend the following...

Weapon Lights

Best: SureFire X300

Next Best: Insight WX150

Best Value: Streamlight TLR-1 C4

Night Sights

AmeriGlo, Trijicon or Meprolight...

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 14:48   #6
hackinpeat

I just got some mepros for mine I'll post a review after I go out shooting until it gets dark some evening.

For a light I think you are better to have a handheld flashlight and training for tactical reasons. I plan on this for me... my subcompact doesn't have a rail for the light anyway (though I could add one)
hackinpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 15:38   #7
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackinpeat View Post
1) I just got some mepros for mine I'll post a review after I go out shooting until it gets dark some evening.

2) For a light I think you are better to have a handheld flashlight and training for tactical reasons. I plan on this for me... my subcompact doesn't have a rail for the light anyway (though I could add one)

1) I'd be surprised if you don't like them!

Meps, IMO, are the brightest appearing of all the night sights, with the front sight being a bit brighter than the rear, to aid acquisition and orientation.

2) Quite a few people prefer this approach!

The real advantage of a weapon-mounted light is a convenience thingy...

A weapon light keeps one hand free to open doors, call 911, etc.

A weapon light keeps everything together, so under stress, there's less stuff to get left behind or separated.

But proper use of a weapon light requires forethought, training and practice. For example, a good weapon light will flash-light an entire room by skipping the beam off the ceiling.

--Ray
Old 07-22-2010, 15:43   #8
JS_280

I'm running a G17 with XS Big Dot 24/7 night sights and TLR-1S. Along with the weapon light I would suggest keeping a hand-held light w/lanyard on the nightstand.
JS_280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 22:21   #9
MAGICMANIA

I like Meprolights but that is me. Any of the lights RayB mentioned would be my choice as well. let us know what you decide.
MAGICMANIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 13:58   #10
hackinpeat

Well, I got the mepros installed, and took them out night shooting last night. I am not yet an exceptional shot with the glock, and with new sights in the dark it was challenging to say the least.

I could score some hits after a bit, I was shooting for 9" plates in the dark. I was either shooting low and left, or the sights are not aligned correctly (due to the installer.) I think it probably had more to do with holding a flashlight in my off hand rather than supporting the sub compact with both hands on the grip.

The mepros illuminate quite well, and the yellow/green is easy to see, I had no issue telling the difference between the front and rear sights, and target acquisition was fairly quick. even if I lost the darn aim while squeezing.

The only drawback is telling exactly when the elevation is perfectly level, with regular glock sights you can line up the top of the sights, with these you have to either line up the dots, or point at an illuminated light colored background to line up the top of the sights. Keep in mind I am an amateur, and I was shooting 9" plates from 30 feet, and from defense range (15 feet or so) I have also never been night shooting. To be honest I had 7 targets set up, and I was randomly selecting them, and moving after each shot/turning off the light. When I reached a new position I tried to line up the shot, toggled the light on, aimed a bit more, shot, then turned off the light and moved again...

I landed about 50% of my shots on the paper plates.

I'll be trying the sights in daylight and on a rest to see if they are lined up right or if it was my odd 1 hand grip throwing my shots off so far. I give the mepros illumination an A. I also noticed that the rear sight stands further back than the stock sight, giving a more accurate sight over-all. I think I'll like these once I get the hang of them.

Last edited by hackinpeat; 07-25-2010 at 14:02..
hackinpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47   #11
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
The mepros illuminate quite well, and the yellow/green is easy to see, I had no issue telling the difference between the front and rear sights, and target acquisition was fairly quick. even if I lost the darn aim while squeezing.

The fastest way to improve upon this is best described with one word...

LASER!

--Ray
Old 07-29-2010, 23:08   #12
DakPara

On my G20 SF I have TruGlow TFOs and a SureFire X400
DakPara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:48   #13
ibedanny
Big Member ;P

Send a message via AIM to ibedanny
Unimax w/tlr-1 under it.
Florida Glockers #2282
Glock 35,27 Newborn 19OD
Sub Club #82
Kel-Tec P3AT/SUB2000 G19 Magwell
Saiga 7.62x39 Converting to wood furniture.
ibedanny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, nightsites, truglo, weapon lights