Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:42   #581
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

We got a lab mix puppy (Mom was all black lab, Dad unknown) last weekend. As I said, Dad is unknown, Mom was found on the side of the road after getting hit by a car. The puppies were dropped off at this lady's house in the country.
She is about 8#, approx 11 weeks old (they didn't know exactly), all black with the exception of a small white stripe on her chest. Anyway, was wondering if there is any of guessing how big she will be??? I'm guessing probably around 25-30#. She was calling her a "mini Black Lab".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:28   #582
Poppa Bear
CLM Number 45
Protective G'pa

My mix was 10# at 8 weeks and is now 75# at a little over a year old.

She will be about 1/2 her weight at 6 months old. I would not be surprised if yours is 30+ pounds by that time and 65 to 90 at full growth.
"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Poppa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:42   #583
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Wow! The vet weighed her last Thurs & she was 8#, this Thurs (approx 12 weeks old) she was 10.5#.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
Old 04-18-2010, 11:52   #584
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Ok. Now she's about 4 months old & 19# as of Friday. Gaining average of 2-2 1/2# a week.

Old 07-01-2010, 15:06   #585
rsm688

Any way to make a dog quit drooling when your eating food , I for the life of me cannot come up with any way to train him since it's an unconditioned response but it's quite annoying
rsm688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:16   #586
BigKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm688 View Post
Any way to make a dog quit drooling when your eating food , I for the life of me cannot come up with any way to train him since it's an unconditioned response but it's quite annoying
I'm sure Blinky will chime in pretty soon, he is the resident expert. But I can talk to my personal experience. My GSD was really bad about begging even though I have a hard rule of never feeding him off my plate. He will sit there and try everything to be "good" so we will treat him. He will sit straight and tall. He will lay down. He will try to shake our hand. He does everything we have ever taught him that has at some point rewarded him with a treat. So I borrowed an idea from "The Art of Raising A Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete. They would have their dogs do a down stay during the duration of their meal. If the dogs got up, one of the monks would quietly get up, retrieve his dog and make the dog go back to a down stay.

So what I started doing was, I'd eat first (which I've been told is always a good idea since you are the Alpha, Alpha's eat first). So while we are eating, my dog would be put in a down stay in teh same room as us (they are social animals so I don't want him acting out while we are eating). Usually I will put him in down stay in an area that if he drools, looks sad, or wimpers a bit, its difficult for someone to "slip" him food out of pity. My will power is great as I am very stubborn, but my girlfriend and her kids are not so strong. Then after dinner I will go over, praise him heartily and "treat" him with his dinner. Took about a week for him to get it down but now when its dinner time, he goes straight into down stay without being told. He tests the waters and skoots closer now and again. But I just quietly get up and put him back in his spot and he stays put. It's worked well. This way you don't have to necessarily train him out of an unconditioned response, but merely remove that response from the family while they are eating. If he drools a lot, maybe lay out a towel for him.

Good luck.
California Glockers Club Member #308
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #308
BigKid is offline   Reply With Quote