Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:19   #1
RogerStuart

DoubleTap vs. Am. Eagle

I was considering ordering some Doubletap 200 gr fmj or hardcast for hiking in blackbear, etc. country with the G29. As I understand it, though, American Eagle is loaded pretty hot--maybe just as hot as Doubletap. Is there really much of an advantage when I can get American Eagle at Cabelas for $28 for 50 rnds and Doubletap would be around $45 for 50 rnds with shipping? I've also blown holes in some surprising things with Blazer 10mm. I'm totally fine paying extra for the Doubletap if there is a reason, I just want to be sure there is one...
RogerStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57   #2
NordicG3K
10mm Addict

It's been a few years, but the American Eagle I shot was somewhere in between .40 S&W and 10mm velocities. I believe the AE lead is softer than the hardcast bullets that DT uses. I use hardcast bullets in my Glocks without issue, but if you're going to use softer alloys you should probably invest in an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for info and discussion on the Bren Ten and other 10mm firearms!
NordicG3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45   #3
RogerStuart

How does one know how hot factory ammo is? I have loaded Blazer and Doubletap in the same magazine and couldn't tell the difference in terms of kick or recoil or whatever. I guess I would have to see the numbers somewhere. Does anyone know where the "numbers" can be found?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08   #4
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

go to each manf. web site. they usually have specs on them there.

the DT is adv. to be higher in velocity than the others....if you have doubts get the Buffalo Bore and hike well.

and in the case of black bear country, the cost of ammo isnt too much to consider because your not out plinking hundreds of rounds....your checking function in your gun and accuracy.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 22:47   #5
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerStuart View Post
I was considering ordering some Doubletap 200 gr fmj or hardcast for hiking in blackbear, etc. country with the G29. As I understand it, though, American Eagle is loaded pretty hot--maybe just as hot as Doubletap. Is there really much of an advantage when I can get American Eagle at Cabelas for $28 for 50 rnds and Doubletap would be around $45 for 50 rnds with shipping? I've also blown holes in some surprising things with Blazer 10mm. I'm totally fine paying extra for the Doubletap if there is a reason, I just want to be sure there is one...
If by American Eagle, do you mean the 180 gr FMJ? That round is pretty wimpy. Advertised velocities are 1030 fps which is at the top end of .40 S&W. You'd be better off with Remington UMC 180 gr FMJs if you are interested in a "price point" level of projectile. They are a bit hotter.

I'd go with the DT 200 gr Hardcast. That projectile is a great penetrator and DT drives it at to respectible velocities - even if some are measuring it below advertised velocities. Make sure that it cycles well and that the projectile stabilizes appropriately.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02   #6
527varmint

The DT hardcast works fine in my g-20. Most folks recomend a steel guide rod and 22# spring when shooting the hot loads.

as said above no plinking with double tap. I fired off 75 rounds without a hitch now I carry the last 25. after I load the top round into the chamber 2 or 3 times I move it to another pile. At the end of each time at the range I fire off however many double tap I have accumulated.

I sleep better in bear country with a 10mm under my pillow!
527varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 21:22   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerStuart View Post
I ran some 10mm American Eagle over a chrony a week or so ago (out of a Fusion longslide, no less) and only got 1030fps or so. They are weak target loads, just barely over .40 cal velocities. DT is loaded much hotter.... not really any comparison.

As for finding out the specs, either check the boxflap for velocities or the manufacturer's website
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 17:19   #8
glocknick

i used to buy american eagle 10mm from my local range. i just doesnt feel like a 10mm. i thought they were really underpowered.
glocknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 21:03   #9
RogerStuart

Fired off a few more rounds of Blazer today, along with a few 180 gr doubletap. Still couldn't tell a difference in recoil, but I did notice that the doubletap brass flew roughly twice as far...As for my "hiking rounds" I guess the hardcast doubletap is the way to go.
Old 06-15-2010, 21:06   #10
RogerStuart

As an afterthought, I haven't ever tried the Am Eagle in the G29, just Blazer and Doubletap. Really like both.

Tags
bear, blazer, double tap, doubletap, hiking