SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:34   #101
lilop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
Could it have something to do with the fact that the last time people marched under that battle flag, they did so with the belief and intent that they had a right own human beings, the right to rape their property, the right to take their properties' offspring and sell it?

I'm not against people flying the flag, freedom of expression and all, but I have to doubt the sencerity of any protestations that the above rights and beliefs are supossed to represent good southern hospitality.
+ 1 to this.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36   #102
Reignman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlandry View Post
Thanks, man. I'm intentionally being more of a simpleton than usual today.
What do you think you're better than me HUH!!! 46,000 posts dwarfs me sure...

but, I have a Flag!!!!!

Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:22   #103
Natty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
Could it have something to do with the fact that the last time people marched under that battle flag, they did so with the belief and intent that they had a right own human beings, the right to rape their property, the right to take their properties' offspring and sell it?
And at that time, the same exact thing was true of the American flag.

Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:24   #104
marksiwel
My Mommy's Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
And at that time, the same exact thing was true of the American flag.

God bless America
marksiwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:32   #105
Critias
CLM Number 236
Freelancer

Two Civil War threads going at once? Terrific. It's like having the same argument in each ear, stereo-speaker style!
"It seems that the least we owe the hero is that we remember him. Without remembrance, without honor, we cannot expect to have such men when we need them. Without an awareness of what has been done, we do not realize what can be done, nor are we inspired to do that which should be done. "
--Paul Kirchner
Critias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:36   #106
Hucklebarry
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacguns View Post
Oh boy, let me throw in my 2 cents, as a decendant of a Union Soldier who fought at Shiloh and decendant of another one who marched with Sherman through Georgia and made the Howl, I welcome the stars and bars as a symbol of "We aint going to take any more of your Bull****, and will defend what we believe in no matter what it takes". Northern born,bred, and raised (Michigan) I had grandpappy's in the 11th Michigan cavalry (Co F), 100th Indiana (Co B), and namesake (68th Ohio Co G), and I would bet all three seeing where their beloved country was headed, would wave their hats at those flying the "War of the Rebellion" as they called it, flag not just for southern rights anymore but like the Texan flag or Revolutionary flag "Don't tred on me" ...........one that stands for solidarity in action and I would fly and follow a flag like that right next to the National stars and stripes today. and I am as northern a "yankee" as it gets.

Thank you. I was talking with some friends just the other day, and I told them that there had to be at least ONE yankee up there that had a brain. At least ONE. I'm going to print this post and prove to them that I was right.

Thanks, again.
Hucklebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:46   #107
Carolina Drifter
CLM Number 5
Charter Lifetime Member

The one thing I don't understand is people making such a big thing out of the CSA flag. Guessa what I'm southern and never owned a slave and neither did my ancestors. It's like southern whites should have no ancestry. It looks like to me that African-Americans would hate Africa more than they hate the CSA because their own people sold them into slavery but you never hear anybody mention that. The best thing for race relations is a good battle cause when the bullets are flying you depend on each other.
“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” -- William Pitt, the Younger

Last edited by Carolina Drifter; 05-06-2010 at 14:48..
Carolina Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 17:17   #108
marksiwel
My Mommy's Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Drifter View Post
The one thing I don't understand is people making such a big thing out of the CSA flag. Guessa what I'm southern and never owned a slave and neither did my ancestors. It's like southern whites should have no ancestry. It looks like to me that African-Americans would hate Africa more than they hate the CSA because their own people sold them into slavery but you never hear anybody mention that. The best thing for race relations is a good battle cause when the bullets are flying you depend on each other.
the last person to tell me that was a Black Women 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:15   #109
holyjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iceman View Post
I suspect because today people actively look for things that hurt them and if they don't find anything, they make **** up. People will ALWAYS find something to whine about and stick a racist label to it.

The country today isn't what it was 20 years ago either. Pretty f'n sad!
what he said.

brave Americans fought and died by it,makes it honorable to me.but i`m still a Damn Yankee!
Old 05-06-2010, 20:19   #110
GWSHARK
BITEYAHEADOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlandry View Post
Because some people really really hate white people.
confederate flag means white people?

GWSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 20:29   #111
SailingBull

We live in a media dominated society. Unfortunately the kkk decided to use that as a symbol and we've been bombarded with that image ever since. Since that's all the context we ever see that flag in anymore, it's become the general perception by the population that: confederate flag = lunatic supremecist.

Not a platform many would want to defend lest they be labeled a racist.
SailingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 20:40   #112
Swiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksiwel View Post
I remember a Military man, who loved his country and fought for it. Afterward his country was poor and broke and being blamed for the War.
But he rebuilt his country, made it an Industrial power, gave the people jobs and their pride back. Helped them put food on the table. He also got their land that was stolen from them.
but that was Hitler.
Should Germans put Swastikas on their Volkswagens in honor of "German Pride"?
'Postwar Austria, as the old joke has it, managed to make most of the world believe that Ludwig van Beethoven was an Austrian and Adolf Hitler a German.'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Your God - By Cheryl Wheeler
Swiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 20:44   #113
Swiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
The swastika was originally (among other things) a Japanese religious symbol. After the Nazis hijacked it, even the Japs stopped displaying it in the West (after losing the war).
Indian symbol not Japanese.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 05-06-2010, 20:46   #114
marksiwel
My Mommy's Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
'Postwar Austria, as the old joke has it, managed to make most of the world believe that Ludwig van Beethoven was an Austrian and Adolf Hitler a German.'
I'm sorry all I cant his of is this looking at your avatar is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WicOCdOUWQo

Swiper no Swiping!
Old 05-06-2010, 20:50   #115
Swiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksiwel View Post
I'm sorry all I cant his of is this looking at your avatar is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WicOCdOUWQo

Swiper no Swiping!
Oh man!

Old 05-06-2010, 20:52   #116
Ray26

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iceman View Post
I suspect because today people actively look for things that hurt them and if they don't find anything, they make **** up. People will ALWAYS find something to whine about and stick a racist label to it.

The country today isn't what it was 20 years ago either. Pretty f'n sad!
Very true...
Old 05-06-2010, 20:56   #117
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsix View Post
...Not trying to start a flame war but why is the CSA flag seen in such a bad light by most people today? ...
I assume by CSA flag you are speaking of the Confederate Naval Jack and note one of the other 12 or so Confederate flags that don't bear such a negative reputation?

Hell, a few months ago, I had someone mistake the ALABAMA flag for the "Rebel flag" and he was adamant about it. I brought him to my office and we looked up all the flags and we made sure he didn't run off half cocked spewing his misguided umbrage onto other people.
Old 05-06-2010, 20:56   #118
Cambo

I am much more offended when I see the Mexican flag. We can get rid the Confederate flag when everyone waving the Mexican flag is thrown out of country. I won't hold my breath.
Old 05-06-2010, 21:04   #119
Swiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
I assume by CSA flag you are speaking of the Confederate Naval Jack and note one of the other 12 or so Confederate flags that don't bear such a negative reputation?
I found the end result of the big controversy regarding the Georgia State flag rather amusing. They removed the old Georgia flag with the 'naval jack' because it was considered to be 'racist', but they ended up with a replacement flag that has the striking resemblance to the original CSA National Flag (Stars and Bars).

Old 05-06-2010, 21:06   #120
marksiwel
My Mommy's Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
I found the end result of the big controversy regarding the Georgia State flag rather amusing. They removed the old Georgia flag with the 'naval jack' because it was considered to be 'racist', but they ended up with a replacement flag that has the striking resemblance to the original CSA National Flag (Stars and Bars).
so what was the flag before the Civil War?

Tags
slavery caused civil war