SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:51   #1
Tony999

45 ACP and SWC difficulty

Hello,
My challange is with my .45 ACP Glock 30 & SWC.
I will try to make this as short as possible, and still give enough information for you to make opinions on my problem.

I am trying to reload 200g SWC (Barry’s Plated). I am at 5.3grains of AA#2.
I have tested the CAOL at 8 different lengths ranging from 1.199 to 1.275".
After shooting a round, the extractor starts to pull back the spent casing, as the next round tries to make its way up from the magazine. It appears that the rim of the spent casing is hitting against the lip of the SWC causing it to be torn from the extractor and either stove-piping or causing the empty casing to be pushed back in the chamber.
This is happening on almost every round, but the longer the CAOL the better it gets, say only 3 out of 10 rounds.

Any Ideas how to overcome this problem? I have attached an image of two rounds with the damage evident. (if it works)
Thanks,
Tony

PS. I have tried hotter loads up to 5.6g of AA#2, but with the same results.
Attached Thumbnails
Reloading - Click for larger version  
Tony999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58   #2
planner

.45 ACP reloads

Try using a bullet with a crimp groove and a heavy tapered crimp- I used some 200 gr LSWC crimped into the grease groove and 5.2 gr AA#2 and it functioned in 4 different Gov'ts with no probs.
planner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:11   #3
Tony999

45 ACP reloads

I can try a heavier tapered crimp, but I don't think that would stop the empty brass from bouncing off the lip on the SWC. But it is worth a shot.
Thanks, Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26   #4
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Some people have had luck with SWC in a G30... most have not. They just don't like 'em.

I couldn't get 'em to feed through the stock barrel or a LW barrel even after having it rethroated. Only .45 I've ever had that wouldn't feed 'em.

Switched to a 225 grain RN mould, no more problems.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.

Last edited by GioaJack; 05-04-2010 at 13:36..
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48   #5
Tony999

45 ACP and SWC difficulty

I hope some of the people who have had luck will chime in.
I have considered trying to change the angle of the follower in the magazine so the up and coming round was at a different pitch. But than I could open up another can of worms.
Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55   #6
Colorado4Wheel

G30 doesn't like SWC's. Thats pretty much says it all. You may get lucky but I would trade those bullets away and get something else. G30 is a defensive handgun try some bullets shaped more along those lines. Thats a nice way of saying it's not designed for that kind of bullet.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19   #7
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
G30 doesn't like SWC's. Thats pretty much says it all. You may get lucky but I would trade those bullets away and get something else. G30 is a defensive handgun try some bullets shaped more along those lines. Thats a nice way of saying it's not designed for that kind of bullet.
Same issue w/ the XD in 45, they do not like SWC bullets. Some can get them to run, but it's more luck than science. Switch to a RNFP or RN or TC bullet for bet results.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45   #8
PCJim

I don't own a Glock in 45acp, so the advice of the others on this particular model not liking the round should be considered sound advice. I would suggest that you crimp a bit more. In reviewing those pics, the round on the left round sure looks like it has some crimping room remaining before becomming excessively crimped. If you can get that case down tight against the bullet, it "may" help your problem.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:59   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
I don't own a Glock in 45acp, so the advice of the others on this particular model not liking the round should be considered sound advice. I would suggest that you crimp a bit more. In reviewing those pics, the round on the left round sure looks like it has some crimping room remaining before becomming excessively crimped. If you can get that case down tight against the bullet, it "may" help your problem.
The problem seems to be the rim of the extr case catching on the shoulder of the next round up in the mag. SOme have been able to tweek OAL to solve the problem, but it seems to be more the rarety than the norm. I shoot a lot of 200grLSWC in 45acp, but switching to a 200grLTC was only a mold purchase away & they are just as accurate, didn't even have to change my powder charge. If you shoot 230grJHP, then 230grRN are a great practice bullet. If yo ubuy Ranier or Berry's, the 200grTCFP works well as does the Berry's 185grHPRN.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 05-04-2010, 13:03   #10
PCJim

Fred, I read the OP as a different scenario.

Quote:
It appears that the rim of the spent casing is hitting against the lip of the SWC causing it to be torn from the extractor
ETA, nevermind. (lip)Shoulder of bullet, not case. My bad....

Last edited by PCJim; 05-04-2010 at 13:04.. Reason: correcting my inability to properly read what the OP is stating.....
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 13:08   #11
striker6126

My g30 will not function with any swc I have tried. My g21 will eat them all day.
striker6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 15:04   #12
Tony999

Striker6126, will you look at the angle of the round coming from the magazine and tell me what the difference is between the G30 & G21. That might give me a hint as to what is going on.
Thanks
Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 17:05   #13
HAMMERHEAD

Quote:
That was my experience as well with the G-30 and Rainier 200 grain plated SWC's. Fed them fine, just wouldn't extract over another SWC in the mag. I varied COL, crimp, no luck. Mine once failed to extract firing Mag Tech 230 ball. The top cartridge in the mag had a rough edge on the case mouth and no apparent crimp. That was enough to cause a stoppage.
If I still reloaded for the G-30 I would probably use at cone shape bullet and some taper crimp to keep the case mouth smooth.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 17:13   #14
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony999 View Post
I hope some of the people who have had luck will chime in.
I have considered trying to change the angle of the follower in the magazine so the up and coming round was at a different pitch. But than I could open up another can of worms.
Tony
Not the follower, tweek the feed lips. It's the feed lips the set the angle; not the follower. On my 45, SWC feed w/o problems with one brand of mag; no joy from another.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 17:20   #15
tjpet

As others have already said the G30 and SWC bullets are a no-go. I could never get mine to run them, period.

However, my .45ACP XD gobbles them up like candy. And a lot of folks can't get a SWC to work in theirs. Go figure.

If a guy wanted to hedge his bets he would be best served by reloading nothing but 230grn. RN slugs if he shoots a variety of .45ACP pistols. They'll run in anything, are accurate, effective, and usually shoot right to POA.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 17:22   #16
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpet View Post
As others have already said the G30 and SWC bullets are a no-go. I could never get mine to run them, period.

However, my .45ACP XD gobbles them up like candy. And a lot of folks can't get a SWC to work in theirs. Go figure.

If a guy wanted to hedge his bets he would be best served by reloading nothing but 230grn. RN slugs if he shoots a variety of .45ACP pistols. They'll run in anything, are accurate, effective, and usually shoot right to POA.
I;ve found the truncated cone (TC) or flat point (FP) feed almost as good as round nose.

Don
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 19:26   #17
WiskyT
Malcontent

I had the same problem with SWC in my G17 and G27. They aren't even close to working. The empty jams up on the SWC shoulder below it in the mag. I don't see how they could work under any circumstances, yet some say they work fine. Both molds I bought for my Glocks are TC.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 20:07   #18
kshutt

Quote:
I couldn't make 'em work in mine. I shoot 230 FMJ or 230 plated in mine instead. Good luck with the SWC's!
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21   #19
MP-In-The-Wind

G30 and SWC.... Not for me!!

I tried lots of things to get my Glock 30 digest SWC...nothing worked
RELIABLY... Load them for another pistol or give / sell them to someone else..
MP-In-The-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41   #20
Tony999

Thanks guys, I may try and mess with it a little more, than move on.
But I sure do like how easy it is to see the holes in paper with the SWC !

Tony
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51   #21
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony999 View Post
Thanks guys, I may try and mess with it a little more, than move on.
But I sure do like how easy it is to see the holes in paper with the SWC !

Tony
Then go to a truncated cone. If you liek Berry's, their 200grTCFP feeds 100% & makes nice holes in paper.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:17   #22
Tony999

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Then go to a truncated cone. If you liek Berry's, their 200grTCFP feeds 100% & makes nice holes in paper.
WOW ! If thats the case, you have just solved my SWC problem by thinking outside the box.
Thanks Fred

Tony
Old 05-05-2010, 13:04   #23
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I just loaded a 50 of the SWC rounds for my nephew to play around with, at first I loaded them to 1.272" but the magazine on the Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro is somewhat short and I reseated them to 1.252" to allow for better feeding from the magazine. When hand cycling them I did notice that some were being knocked off the extractor.

He is going to test them for function when he gets some range time. I will have to advise him of this situation to see if he experiences any Stove pipes or FTE with this bullet. Oh well...Live and Learn! C'est la vie
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
45 acp, reloading, swc