SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2010, 22:45   #1
Honor Bound

Double edge blade?

Hello Mr Emerson,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Question: What does a double edge blade add to a knife's capabilities/ usefulness in a self defense scenario? Does it significantly bring more to the table? Does it require a higher level of training/proficiency to be used effectively?

I understand the laws are very different and in most cases are restricted. I'm just curious.

Thank you,

HB
Honor Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 15:35   #2
Ernest Emerson

Re: Double edge blade?

Dear Honor Bound,

A double edged knife brings two important dynamics into play. First, the blade will cut no matter how it is presented into the target up, down, left, right or straight in, depending how the edges are indexed to your strike. Second, no matter how you have grabbed your knife you can present an edge towards a target. Combat is combat and Murphy's law is always a factor. If you have grabbed your knife in a pressing moment and have done so "incorrectly" you will still have an edge to strike with. Conversely, with a single edged blade, if you you pick it up "upside down" then the edge side would be up and you would need to adjust your strike. The downside is that you are not familiar with two edges rather than one.

In my opinion, I am comfortable with single edged blades and always have been. Some people have developed fighting styles for double edged knives but all in all, The Marine Corps Ka-Bar has done a pretty good job with just one edge. Just my opinion.

Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson
Ernest Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote