Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2010, 16:15   #1
SiGlockBoy

XS 24/7 Big Dot Express Sight Install Glock 30SF

OK, everybody has posted this it seems and this is yet another.

But, I have never had sights that literally just fall through the rear dovetail like these did. I did notice a little more play than I would like in the front sight. It tended to move left / right, so make sure you use a little straight edge to line up against slide lines and get it straight. Definitely degrease like they say.

THe rear sight, as I said, pushed in with no resistance and then could slide right out the other side. Maybe this is new due to so many being broken during install without fitting properly 1st. I put a drop in the dovetail and then slid sight in. Lightly tightened the set screws to gain some friction and then centered. Used the Dial caliper depth guage to get it centered and set the screws. Check it again as it does move a bit when screws are tightened. Added plenty of locktite and let it set up. Then cleaned residual away.

Video makes them seem easy and actual install is even easier. Once I go to the range, I'll find out how I like them, but so far they produce a nice sight picture and very bright.

My only question is: XS says NO locktite in set screws and it seems logical so you can still adjust. Another persons instructions say to fill them up so they never come back off.

My thought is when they are sighted in and found to be proper, is it best to seal the setscrews in to reduce your chance of them falling off? Or do they stay put with the setscrews?

In my experience with working on guns over the years, setcrews tend to work out due to vibration. But I have worked on guns where the factory filled in the setscrews with red locktite and it takes an act of god to get them cleaned out and remove for replacement of parts. But they definitely don't come out on their own.

Nothing more frustrating than having sights or optics loosen.

I do love these sights so far. Shooting will tell if love affair is just a flash in the pants or long term true love.
SiGlockBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 18:13   #2
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Just added them to my G27 (see another thread in this section). Installation was very easy. I just eye-balled mine to center them. Seemed to be fine at the range. :-)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22   #3
JohnTz

I installed them on my 23 last Friday and was worried about the same issues with the rear. I shot 500 rounds through the gun this weekend and the rear site is solid. It seems the red locktite holds those babies strong and I had no issues with the screws backing out as I think some of the locktite gets under the site and into the bottom of those screws and locks them up. I am now comfortable that they will stay put. Great sites. After the first box of ammo I was shooting them as well as my three dot sites. After the second box I was shooting the 23 better than I ever did. This was all at 10 yards.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46   #4
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I have had Big Dots on a few Glocks.
First off, degrease the sights, the front sight screw and the slide.

I then install the front sight and ensure it's straightness by placing a
6" machinist's rule along side of the sight. The ruler gives me a very
good visual indicator when I have the sight straight. Once this is acheived
I tighten the screw for the front sight.

Fot the rear, I see how it fits in the dovetail. Some slide in some are ve
tight. For the tight ones, I place the sight on a piece of 400 grit sandpaper
and wet sand untill I can get the rear sight installed about 1/2 to 2/3 with
thumb pressure only. Once this is acheived, I tap it in place with the Delron
drift.

I use the machinist's rule again, along side of the front sight and verify, side
to side that I have the rear sight centered. I snug one set screw then the other. I verift the center of the sight again. Once this is done I tighten both
set screws. I apply the red thread locker as per XS Sight's instructions.

While this is setting up, I remove one of the rear sight's set screws. I degrease
then coat the set screw with clear nail polish, reinstall and tighten.
Repeat with the second set screw.

I have never had any issuew with the sights being inaccurate.
I have yet to have one come loose.
I have removed these after installation, no problems.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 20:10   #5
04LS1GTO

FAA, I noticed you said you used clear nail polish to hold the set screws in. I used the red sur-lock provided and am just wondering if there is an advantage to nail polish. Is it worth it to remove the screws I loc-tited in and reinstall using nail polish? Just curious.
04LS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 20:37   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

I've used nail polish on sight set screws and on 1911 grip screws.
Everywhere else gets red or blue Loctite. AR15 gas key screws get Rocksett
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 20:44   #7
04LS1GTO

Is there a strength difference or will I be fine with the red loc-tite?
04LS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 21:25   #8
Glock+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LS1GTO View Post
Is there a strength difference or will I be fine with the red loc-tite?
...well if you used the red loctite on the set screws, they will not come loose, nor will they be easy to remove.
Glock+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24   #9
JohnTz

If you used red locktite on the set screws make sure you use allot of heat when trying to remove otherwise you will strip those little screws and then the sights will be almost impossible to get off without scratching the bottom of the dovetail. If you do strip them then use a small bit and drill them out to remove the sight. That is why XS does NOT tell you to use locktite on those little suckers. I did not use anything on mine and check them every 500 rounds and so far they are staying tight.
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:46   #10
ricklee4570

Or you could use blue locktite. It will ensure the screws do not vibrate loose, yet will still be fairly easy to remove without stripping if needed. I have never had any problems with any screws ever coming loose with blue locktite.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 23:55   #11
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
I've used nail polish on sight set screws and on 1911 grip screws.
Everywhere else gets red or blue Loctite. AR15 gas key screws get Rocksett

I've used both clear and red nail polish on screws and nuts for years, and it works! I use the clear where appearance matters, and red where routine inspection is required. Thorough cleaning of parts is key.

Another home-spun trick is hairspray for drive-belt dressing. It also keeps a Hogue HandAll grip in place nicely!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big dot, express, sight, sights, xs sights