GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2010, 22:55   #1
Ffolkes

for the fighting knife, straight or curved blade?

Sir,

I've been able to pick up the occasional copy of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife and find I really like this style of knife. How effective were they in your opinion as a fighting knife? Do you feel a fighting knife is for stabbing and so should have a straight blade, or do you limit your ability to cut with only a straight edge and something like a Kabar, tanto, Bowie, or even a Persian style would be preferred?

Secondly, how would you recommend sharpening the straight double edged knife? Try as I might with various methods I can't get a consistent edge along the full length of the blade or at the point. I'm ending up with some areas sharp then not, then sharp again.

Thanks!
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Ffolkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 16:09   #2
Ernest Emerson

Re: for the fighting knife, straight or curved blade?

Dear Ffolkes,

The Fairbairn Sykes "Commando" knife certainly has the bona fides, history and legacy to lay claim to being a true fighting (and killing) knife. And, all of the knives that you also mentioned can lay claim to the same; Kabar, Tanto, Bowie and Persian.

Now, at the risk of angering some, I would suggest that the other blades that you mentioned have slight to pronounced curves in their blades. Personally I would suggest that having curves in the blade helps with any slashing cuts as it tends to engage more of the edge, rather than the point, when cutting in that manner. Yet in spite of the curves, with the exception of the Persian all can be used to stab with no hindrance. Therefore, you see that I tend to be more of a "curves" fan, not much but just a little.

As to sharpening I would suggest you try a handheld sharpener such as an Ultimate Edge diamond type stick as the geometry of a knife such as the F/S changes dramatically as you reach the point and is hard to sharpen on a bench stone.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ernest R. Emerson

Last edited by Ernest Emerson; 03-26-2010 at 16:17..
Ernest Emerson is offline   Reply With Quote