Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:00   #1
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Use your sling!

I've often stressed shooting without the aid of the bench. I've written that a tight prone position is very nearly as stable, and that sighting in from the prone position benefits the shooter not only by giving him the opportunity to exercise the position, but also by stressing the six steps to following the shot. It occurs to me that many may not know how to use their slings as a shooting aid, and as such, are not getting the most benefit from position shooting. By using the loop and hasty sling consistently in position shooting, it is my belief that the shooter will begin to see success in his marksmanship, and will no longer want to use a shooting bench for sighting and shooting.

I believe that a sling, and proper sling use, is vital to shooting like a Rifleman. Making hits passed 300 meters, with iron sights, isn't going to happen consistently without a tight sling. For my example, I will describe the proper use of the web sling as issued with the M1 Garand and the M14 (including its semiautomatic variants, the M1A, M14S, M14SA, etc.). This sling was an essential piece of wartime kit for three generations, and is most commonly available made from cotton canvas webbing, although later issue, including the current issue in use by Army and Marine designated marksman M14 slings are Nylon; these are superior to their cotton equivalent, and are well proven. I highly recommend these slings (the cotton and Nylon) over the leather 1907 sling. Many match shooters prefer the leather; and although I agree that they are quite attractive and old school when well made, they are more susceptible to inclement weather, and will rot from hard use. This is not match riflery. This is field shooting. Although it is specifically for the M1 and M14 rifles, you may be able to adapt it to the FAL and HK91 systems. Certainly, the same sling usage applies to all these rifles, plus the AR15 and AR10 rifles. The web sling has four parts (see figure one). They are the spring clip, which attaches the sling to the butt end swivel, the buckle (permanently attached to the sling), for adjusting the sling's length, the sling itself, and the keeper (the buckle that holds the slings adjustment). Attach the spring clip to the butt end swivel with the buckle's loop facing out, away from the stock. The sling's keeper should be on the sling, with its hasp facing inward (toward the stock) and up toward the upper sling swivel. Bring the end of the sling outside, and place it through the upper sling swivel. Lace the end of the sling through the keeper. Now, with the sling in place, you can adjust it to fit (see images).

MBR Club

(Figure 1, disassembled sling pieces)

MBR Club

(Figure 2, assembling the sling)

MBR Club

(Figure 3, assembling the pieces continued)

MBR Club

(Figure 4, attaching the keeper)

MBR Club

(Figure 5, keeper attached)

With the sling attached, hold the rifle horizontally. The sling will hang down from the swivels. Place the thumb of one hand under the grip (the small of the stock) and splay your fingers out making your hand span as far as it is able. Adjust the sling length with the keeper until it just touches your smallest finger. Later you can fine-tune the adjustment from position; but this should get the sling to the right length to start (Figure 6).

MBR Club

(Figure 6, determining proper slack)

There are two basic configurations, and one variation on the second, for using the sling as a shooting aid. The first is the loop sling, used in the prone and sitting positions. To make a loop sling, begin by detaching the sling from the rifle's butt by sliding the spring clip from the rear swivel, leaving the sling attached to the rifle at the front. It is usually easier to perform the next steps kneeling, with the rifle butt on the ground, and the barrel resting on your shoulder (be careful doing this on the firing line with a hot rifle. I once wore a brand for days made by a hot barrel that- very briefly- touched my neck). Hold the spring clip and buckle in your strong hand (right for right-handed shooters, left for left-handed shooter). Now feed some of the sling back through the buckle, forming a loop of material (Figure 7). Twist the sling a half turn away from you (this is very important: turn the sling away from you). The spring clip will now be facing up (Figure 8). Holding the sling in your strong hand (again, right for right-handed shooters). Use your weak hand fingers to grab the cuff of your shooting jacket's sleeve. This will prevent the sleeve from riding up when you put the sling on your arm (Figure 9). Now, slide the sling loop as far onto your arm as possible, even up to your armpit. The USMC jacket has a brachial pad on the support arm sleeve, ostensibly to keep your rifle from moving in time with your brachial pulse. In my experience, placing the sling above the pad will keep the sling from sliding back down the arm in rapid fire shooting. If you have made the loop correctly, it will tighten when you pull on the sling (Figure 10). If not, start over, you have made a mistake somewhere. From position, the sling should be so tight that the shooter will have to place the stock into the shoulder pocket with the strong hand, and cam the strong arm down, forming a good shoulder pocket. If the sling is so tight that you lose feeling in your fingers, it is just about tight enough (not really, loosen it up just a little bit if it is that tight). We will go over that again when we address positions in detail.

MBR Club

(Figure 7, form a loop)

MBR Club

(Figure 8, twist the loop, note that the clip faces up)

MBR Club

(Figure 9, be sure to hold your sleeve)

MBR Club

(Figure 10, the self-tightening sling)

The other sling configuration (and its variation) is the hasty sling, and the hasty-hasty sling. Riflemen use these principally in the offhand, or standing, position. For these configurations, begin with the sling attached to the rifle, as we began for the loop sling. Hold the rifle by the small of the stock horizontally, with the sling hanging below it. Put your support arm through the hole created by the sling and rifle (Figure 11). Reach are far as you can, again so that the sling is up to your armpit. If you stop here, and shoulder the weapon, you have the hasty-hasty sling. If you wrap your arm around the outside of the sling loop, and back inside the sling, effectively weaving your arm around the sling, and back on the fore end of the stock, that is the hasty sling (Figure 12). It is slower to assume, but helps hold the rifle tight to your shoulder. If the sling is tight enough, you will have to place the rifle into your shoulder pocket with strong hand.

MBR Club

(Figure 11, starting the hasty sling)

MBR Club

(Figure 12, Assuming the hasty sling. This is the position for the hasty-hasty sling)

MBR Club

(Figure 13, the weaving the arm through, finishing with the hasty sling)

One of the would-be Rifleman's objectives is to learn to shoot from unsupported positions, using the rifle's sling as a shooting aid. Confidence in using the sling, and in using tight shooting positions, and perseverance therein, will increase the marksman's ability, until he or she can proudly assume the title "Rifleman.

(Edited to fix figure 12)
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!

Last edited by thetoastmaster; 07-16-2007 at 13:06..
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 19:15   #2
Xelloss
NRA Member

If you haven't seen them already, I suggest you take a look at Tactical Intervention Systems' Quick-Cuff Slings... They're currently in use with the U.S. Army's M24 Sniper Weapon System and with the U.S.M.C.'s Mk11s... The MkII Sling is for use with AR15/10s, NM M14s, and FN FALs... I use one of the M24 versions with my Savage 110 Tactical .300WM, and for off-hand shooting, it is awesome... They are the FASTEST slings for looping, since all you do is clip the sling (which you pre-set to proper length) to the cuff you keep on your arm...

Hope this helps...

-Mark
Big Dawg #2001
MBR Club #29
"Sore wa... Himitsudesu!"
("That... is a secret!")
Xelloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24   #3
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

Is there a way to get this thread stickied?

I searched the web for hours one day looking for a tutorial like this on proper uses of a sling.

I use the hasty sling, and am happy to see that I've been doing it properly. (Still can't see fig. 12 in your post)

I see so many pics of Garands with the sling looped tight to the rifle, that I wonder how many Garand owners/shooters know that the sling doesn't work well like that.

Thanks for posting the pictorial tutorial, Toastmaster. I highly appreciate it, and I plan to give the loop sling a try when I return to the States.
Outpost Mod #69
Chad Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:58   #4
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Okay, picture twelve is finaly working. I think its title was too long for the board software.

Thanks, CJ. I was in the same boat regarding slings. I had read Fred's Guide through a couple of times, but could not understand how to make the loop sling. A picture or two, on the other hand, made it easy.

I also have a similar article on the bent leg prone postion and the sitting position and its variants (except for the pictures). If anyone wants, I can put the prone tutorial up, too.

-Bo

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:39   #5
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

Quote:
Originally posted by thetoastmaster
If anyone wants, I can put the prone tutorial up, too.

-Bo
Well, Hell yeah!
Outpost Mod #69
Old 10-03-2006, 09:58   #6
Strider47
Captain Chaos

Great post! I've just started dialing in my M1A for Appleseed shoots (attendance is a MUST for anyone serious about shooting iron sights out to 500 yards).

It's amazing how structured your body can get when you utilize the sling properly. It looks tricky but it isn't hard once you mark your sling for the proper positions (prone, kneeling and standing) and practice using the sling properly. If I can do it, anyone can.

Helpful hint, buy a GREEN sling, not black - the Sharpie markings you make are much easier to read.
Strider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:33   #7
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Good call on marking your sling. I don't know if I am blessed, but I can use the same adjustment for both the loop and hasty sling. Of you look at figure five, you can see the line between the upper swivel, and the "M". I have seen folks thatmark their slings three times, though. You have to do what you have to do to get hits.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:53   #8
Chad Landry
Cajunator®

These three threads were stickied at my request (after asking thetoastmaster for his blessing). I think it's important to have a resource available for folks who don't have access to live fire instructors.

When I decided to begin my rifle training, I couldn't find anything on the web. Search after search revealed nothing useful.

So when Bo posted these photo-essays, I found them invaluable. I hope others find them equally useful.

Please don't hesitate to continue discussion of these positions. We all want to learn.

Thanks,

Chad
Outpost Mod #69

Last edited by Chad Landry; 11-24-2006 at 16:21..
Old 04-10-2007, 17:34   #9
billwade

That's a nice post. We did that in the Marines for the rifle range. But it is impractical for typical combat or hunting scenarios.
billwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 16:15   #10
MTMilitiaman

Where was this when I needed it!

For future reference, I found an excellent source of info on Fulton Armory's website dealing with how to properly configure and use a M1907 military style sling.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

If you go to the "M14 and M1A Pages" on the left hand index column, then click on "M14 FAQ Articles" when the menu expands, they have a wealth of knowledge on the M14. This includes "The Use of the Model of 1907 Sling" and "How to attach the Model of 1907 Sling to the Rifle."

Kalashnikov Klub #1776...is that cosmoline I smell burning?
MTMilitiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 14:57   #11
Grayson

Tagged, just in case...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
make it SUPER EASY!

Call the Senate on Bloomberg's dime: 855-440-4800
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 00:53   #12
Andrewsky

I like the M16 Silent sling better than the M14 sling. Mainly because it's silent.

If a person really intended to use his sling in the field, he'd be better off with an M1907 sling I think. You can use them as shooting slings by putting your support arm through the middle loop. If you are in a hurry you don't need to even move the keeper. With practice this can be done in five or ten seconds.

With my USGI silent slings, it takes me over a minute to move them from carrying mode to shooting mode, because I have to take the sling off of the rear swivel.

Nevertheless, I still only use my USGI M16 silent slings, because they're lightweight and they are more comfortable on the shoulder when carrying the rifle. My Turner AWS slings sit in the safe.
Andrewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 18:43   #13
Mattog22

glad I found this. I will be using a sling in my 3-gun match for the 300 yd targets.
Mattog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 15:36   #14
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Bump for a good thread.

The M1 sling can be very versatile when it comes to adjusting it for Highpower.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 20:23   #15
greenlead

Don't forget to view this free video, courtesy of the US Army: http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle...1_Rifle_Part_1

And this book: http://www.archive.org/details/How_t..._US_Army_Rifle