Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2010, 20:43   #1
Shoeless
Gun Totin' Girl

Dumb Girl Question Probably

Hey everyone! I haven't been here in months, but I have a question about one of my guns and when I have a question about a gun, where ELSE would I go but Glocktalk, right??

Ok, so I bought myself a Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 gauge shotgun. (I'm petite, hence the Bantam). That's not the dumb part.

The dumb part is my question, which is this... If I want to take it to the range to practice with it, but the range won't let us shoot shot, only slugs, then how do I know what kind of slug to shoot in it?

It came with three choke tubes: Full, Improved Cylinder and Modified.

What the hell does all that mean? Is it a smooth bore or a rifled bore?

Heck, I thought shotguns were easy to understand. Figured they all had a smooth bore and you could just shoot either shot or slug no problem.

Then I learn that some shotguns have a rifled bore (wouldn't that be a rifle then??) and others have a smooth bore.

I also learned that there are "rifled" slugs and "sabot" slugs and you have to know which one your gun takes before shooting them out of it.

So between the smooth vs rifled bore and the different choke tubes (which I thought were just for shot) AND the two different kind of slugs, I'm so confused.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shoeless

Tags
mossberg 500, slug