SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2010, 15:14   #361
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Great thread. 3 years old and still going!!

Old 02-22-2010, 16:37   #362
lanternlad
Mythmatician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
I also heard that story before and its one of the selling points for me to get a NAA Pug. With something as small and light as a NAA Pug you have no excuse not to carry. The guy in the South Africa story was wearing a frickin Tux to a formal event and was still able to be armed.

The Pug with the night sights would be great.
I have the Pug with the night sights. It IS great.

Tho the story that made me want to get mine was different.

On another board, a guy who had horses was talking about coming up on one of his horses who had fallen in a ditch and broke its leg REALLY badly. As the horse was very old, he decided to put it out of its misery, but forgot to bring his main carry gun which was miles back home. The only gun he had on him was his NAA Pug. So he aimed carefully, and one shot dropped that horse dead in its tracks.

So I figured that if a .22 mag could take out a horse, it would be good enough for me.
Old 02-22-2010, 18:54   #363
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Calibre is not the problem, placement is, and putting bullets into a well built mans torso, he died, but it took a while. If no vital organs were hit, he still would not have died in a hurry. No matter what he had been shot with.
Exactly. As far as "upping your chances" goes, combined with how comfortable my wife is with this piece, the Taurus 94 in .22 lr was the pick. All things considered, I would rather her have 9 rounds of CCI Velocitor than 5 rounds of 38 spl..........
Rimfire Forum
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013

Last edited by GSSF17; 02-22-2010 at 18:56..
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 20:36   #364
wjv

Quote:
the revolver blew up in my hand
Wonder why?????

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 21:22   #365
FireForged
Millenium #3936

ugh! I just cant bring myself to read this thread all over again.
Old 02-22-2010, 22:57   #366
mixflip

I am surprized how welcome 22lr is here at GT for self defense. This topic was brought up several times over at rimfirecentral and it always ends desasterous!

The guys who are ok with 22lr for self defense get cut down and treated like gun toting idiots for even mentioning 22lr for self defense.

I personally am ok with velocitors or stingers in a 22 revolver for rock solid reliability and I know velocitors punch a pretty deep and nasty hole in flesh. I dont think I'd use a semi auto 22lr for self defense though.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 23:39   #367
98_1LE

IDK, if this thing is reliable and accurate, I can see it being decent for home defense.

Rimfire Forum
98_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 00:31   #368
lanternlad
Mythmatician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
IDK, if this thing is reliable and accurate, I can see it being decent for home defense.

Rimfire Forum
A .22 mag out of a barrel that length averages about 1600 fps depending on ammo used. (think poly tip v-max that average 2200fps out of a 20" .22 mag barrel) This equates to a CCI Stinger in 22lr out of a 20" barrel. Times that by 30 and you have one bad-ass sidearm. For those naysayers out there that's approx 6000ft lbs of energy (200 ft lbs x 30) going into your attacker with plenty of penetration and virtually no recoil or muzzle flip allowing for faster target re-acquisition.

You can't tell me that you wouldn't carry that for SD. You wouldn't even need to carry reloads.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22   #369
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I am surprized how welcome 22lr is here at GT for self defense. This topic was brought up several times over at rimfirecentral and it always ends desasterous!

The guys who are ok with 22lr for self defense get cut down and treated like gun toting idiots for even mentioning 22lr for self defense.
Yeah, I have gotten some crap for it- but when I said "all things considered" in 9 .22 lr in favor of 5 .38 spl, I meant that my wife shoots it VERY well, and most importantly, is confident in her weapon and her ability to use it. By the 5th round of .38 from her snubbie revovler, it hurt her hand. That is something that I could never get her past.

I would rather her carry the .22 lr than nothing.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:18   #370
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
Wonder why?????
Part of the store mention that he took cover behind a tree. He could have dug his gun hand into the ground and got an obstruction or maybe the cylinder retaining pin came loose.

That is another reason why I like the pug over the regular NNA mini. The Pug is a little more beefy and has a better retaining pin latch.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26   #371
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
Yeah, I have gotten some crap for it- but when I said "all things considered" in 9 .22 lr in favor of 5 .38 spl, I meant that my wife shoots it VERY well, and most importantly, is confident in her weapon and her ability to use it. By the 5th round of .38 from her snubbie revovler, it hurt her hand. That is something that I could never get her past.

I would rather her carry the .22 lr than nothing.
That is what so many gun guys fail to realize. If your wife is a good shot with a .22, and likes it go for it. Its better then having her use a .38 that makes her flinch and miss.
Old 02-24-2010, 21:15   #372
James Markov

I'm confused here is the Keltec .22 magnum in production?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 21:54   #373
GlockPride
Glock 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
I'm confused here is the Keltec .22 magnum in production?
I believe soon to be released. So, yes, it's more than likley in production
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 20:58   #374
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I personally am ok with velocitors or stingers in a 22 revolver for rock solid reliability and I know velocitors punch a pretty deep and nasty hole in flesh. I dont think I'd use a semi auto 22lr for self defense though.
I bought a Ruger Mark II about six months ago. I love it but finding decent varmit ammo until yesterday was impossible, when I discovered a local gun shop that carries Velocitor.

I have good semi-automatic pistols for self defense but my wife is horrified of guns. My daughter has shot them but she's still relatively young and has taken quite well to the .22lr. I'm thinking that perhaps this summer I might be able to get the missus to try the Ruger. If so, leaving her with the .22lr loaded with Velocitors when I have to occasionally be away is surely better than leaving her timid and afraid while being completely defenseless.

Are Velocitors as good as I've read, and are they reliable in semi-autos like the Mark II? I've read some comments that they're only designed for rifles.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:15   #375
ViperR

Reading this thread, I guess the best ammo for defence is the Velocitors. I thought there was is another hi-vel solid from another mfgr that would also be good. My wife carries a 6-shot snub revolver on her inner thigh, because she mostly wears dresses and a hip or IWB is out. I want her to have the hardest hitting and deepest penetrating round (easy guys!!). Can't chance a jam with an auto, so an aluminum framed revolver was our choice.
ViperR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21   #376
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Reading this thread, I guess the best ammo for defence is the Velocitors. I thought there was is another hi-vel solid from another mfgr that would also be good. My wife carries a 6-shot snub revolver on her inner thigh, because she mostly wears dresses and a hip or IWB is out. I want her to have the hardest hitting and deepest penetrating round (easy guys!!). Can't chance a jam with an auto, so an aluminum framed revolver was our choice.
Wait, so your wife wears a revolver on her inner thigh like a woman would wear a derringer in the cowboy days. No offense and with all due respect to your wife, but that is hot

Wear did you find the holster, or was it custom made?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:00   #377
ViperR

When she wears tight skirts (not too often), she sports a Galco ThighBand, but it just wraps around her thigh and can be quite tight uncomfortable. Most of the time when she wears regular skirts and skorts, she uses a Kemmer, which has a waist strap/lanyard (garter belt style) that suspends the holster and she doesn't have to make the holster band as tight. She like it alot because there is suede throughout and very soft.
No one has ever detected her revolver.

Last edited by ViperR; 02-28-2010 at 07:07..
Old 02-27-2010, 09:39   #378
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
When she wears tight skirts (not too often), she sports a Galco ThighBand, but it just wraps around her thigh and can be quite tight uncomfortable. Most of the time when she wears regular skirts and skorts, she uses a Kemmer, which has a waist strap/lanyard that suspends the holster and she doesn't have to make the holster band as tight. She like it alot because there is suede throughout and very soft.
No one has ever detected her revolver.

I agree with Bilbo -- no offense to either you or your wife, but that's just hot...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 13:07   #379
gunreviewonmyspace
havegunwillgo

thoughts

The whole idea is shutting down their body, so they can no longer harm you. The technique is to perforate their vital organs, or break their bones with fast moving projectiles. The larger the projectile the better, but if all you have/can use is a .22, then do it. I would not feel to inadequate with a ruger 10/22 loaded with CCI stingers in my home. But, I will still prefer my AR15.

As a note, do not take head shots with .22lr pistols as the skull is often not penetrated due to the slower velocity of a short barrel. Stick with pelvis and torso hits.
gunreviewonmyspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:06   #380
ViperR

She knows to aim at larger softer areas like the torso. She is also trained not to shoot at the head because it is a smaller target and at a stressful moment, a smaller target is harder to hit. She also knows the skull is harder bone and can't rely in a throat or eye hit. Her main area of targeting is gut-to-rib.