GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:25   #1
Glockster_221

OK to hunt and consume local "wildlife"?

So I want to taste squirrel meat. I guess I got a little redneck in me.

I have a sweet Colt 1911 Government A1 pellet gun, chambered in .177 pellets. Rifled steel bore, fires 425 ft. per second at the muzzle. I have some premium hunting loads.

Are there any legal and/or medical reasons I should not kill and consume local squirrel in my back yard?

Also, if it is OK to do, what are some good recipes you guys have in mind?

Appreciate it.

Last edited by Glockster_221; 02-09-2010 at 04:32..
Glockster_221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52   #2
profiler999

Seasons

Just make sure you follow the appropriate hunting seasons. In my state you don't need a hunting license if you "own" the land. If you rent, you'll need to have a hunting license and follow the "seasons", ie ours runs from October to February for example.

They are pretty tasty. I prefer to cook them in a crock pot, similar to a pulled pork sandwich.
Old 02-09-2010, 16:12   #3
vafish

With that pellet gun only head shots will kill the squirrel quickly.

You'll have much better luck (although not as much satisfaction) with a rat trap baited with peanut butter and nailed to a tree.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:42   #4
Hummer
Big Member

Go to the website of the CA fish and game commission LINK to learn the legal requirements and season for taking squirrel. Apparently only tree squirrel species are legal but not ground squirrel species. You can't hunt in all counties or most municipalities. You must have a small game hunting license and cannot use a pellet pistol. I don't think a squirrel can be consistently and humanely killed with a 425 fps, .177 cal pellet pistol which is probably why the regs exclude them.

Beyond the legal aspects, there's no reason not to eat squirrel except that they offer very little meat and are pretty stinky little critters to clean.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:51   #5
Jonesee

Recipes...

If it is a young squirrel, cook it anyway you want. If it is an old squirrel, it will be tough so stew it.

To clean it, start at the back legs, make your cuts through the skin. Have a friend hold it upside down and you pull the skin off inside out down over its head. Cut the head off and no fur on the meat. Cut the body cavity open without puncturing the digestive tract and reach in and pull it out. Rinse with water. Done.

As far as cleaning it, I would rather clean 6 squirrels than 1 rabbit. A rabbit is the worst smell of any animal I clean. Especially if the bowels or stomach gets punctured which they usually do when shotgun hunting.

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-09-2010 at 23:02..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:57   #6
jjsobba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
Recipes...

If it is a young squirrel, cook it anyway you want. If it is an old squirrel, it will be tough so stew it.

To clean it, start at the back legs, make your cuts through the skin. Have a friend hold it upside down and you pull the skin off inside out down over its head. Cut the head off and no fur on the meat. Cut the body cavity open without puncturing the digestive tract and reach in and pull it out. Rinse with water. Done.

As far as cleaning it, I would rather clean 6 squirrels than 1 rabbit. A rabbit is the worst smell of any animal I clean. Especially if the bowels or stomach gets punctured which they usually do when shotgun hunting.
I would have to agree 100% about cleaning the rabbits. I guess I cleaned way too many when I was younger. (that all we could find while hunting) As for cooking squirrels my dad would always just put them in a crock pot with onions, peppers, carrots and anything that looked good at the time. It always tasted good. Good luck!
jjsobba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56   #7
Glockster_221

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsobba View Post
I would have to agree 100% about cleaning the rabbits. I guess I cleaned way too many when I was younger. (that all we could find while hunting) As for cooking squirrels my dad would always just put them in a crock pot with onions, peppers, carrots and anything that looked good at the time. It always tasted good. Good luck!
Lucky for me, we have a crock pot.
Glockster_221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 15:44   #8
Adjuster

I don't think that pellet gun will do it. Go get yourself a pellet rifle that will do at least 1200fps. They also make special hunting pellets that you will need. The gun can be had at WalMart for less than $150.00.
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.177, colt, hunting, pellet, squirrel