Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:45   #61
Ghost Tracker

It's currently the "Golden Age" of 1911 offerings. Quality control & the amazing tolerances made possible by modern CNC equipment (tighter, slicker, faster, cheaper) have not only given us more GREAT options but have required the serious 1911 manufacturers to become & stay competitive with each other. S&W and STI are perfect examples. Pick your poison. You're gonna' find opinions on both sides of the fence, but none that say you've made a terrible choice! I like S&W better. But ONLY because I've had such (complete) satisfaction with past S&W Customer Service. Their professionalism has earned my repeat business. I've had no dealings with STI. But I suspect they're every bit a good.
Ghost Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:20   #62
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
STI it's a real 1911 and you will learn how they work..

The smith has a crappy FP safety and an external extractor.
Except for Gear Gurus gun I have seen it , the Scandium guns shoot nice
I forgot about Smith having the FP safety, the STI for sure
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 16:05   #63
bac1023

The Spartan has my vote as the best entry level 1911 on the market.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 17:19   #64
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockernaut View Post
What is the difference in the quality of the internals, beavertail, trigger, barrel etc between the SW and spartan. When comparing the spartan and trojan what upgrades are made to justify the higher price.
Trojan has no MIM fire control parts the Spartan does.

Spartan is on par with the Smith as far as internals the trojan has higher quality internals, hammer, sear Slide stop.
Old 12-15-2009, 18:01   #65
Ruggles

Had both myself. I really like STI and still have my STI Lawman (great 1911), also STI is Texas born & bred and so I am. That being said I have the base S&W model 5" 1911 (108285) and I think it is a much better 1911 than the Spartan I had. The Spartan was solidly built but had two issues which I did not care for.

1. Too tight, I thought my Baer was tight, this thing made it look like a WWII production gun! Maybe not that much difference but the Spartan was too tight for my liking.
2. Thumb safety snapped right in half during use. Not a huge deal but it was not really under any excess stress when it occurred.

The Spartan is as stated not a true STI in reality but still a very nice 1911, I just prefer the S&W. I am not really concerned about the EE as it works perfectly, S&W did it right on the EE. The FPS does not bother me either.

Not sure if you could go wrong with either but I vote S&W.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 18:14   #66
bac1023

Both are good 1911s.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 18:37   #67
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Why not get a Colt Series 70 Reproduction for $999 ? They are beautiful pistols.
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 23:49   #68
Glockernaut

If the quality of the internals are close between the SW and Spartan, which would have the better slide to frame fit and serve best as a base model for future upgrades. Are the SW/STI slides and frames casted or forged? DO either of these actually serve better than say a less expensive SA mil spec as a base for future upgrades?

Last edited by Glockernaut; 12-15-2009 at 23:57..
Glockernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 00:04   #69
skeeter1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Never used a flat trigger before, I prefer a solid short trigger in my 1911s but I would love to try the flat trigger someday. Do you like it better than a standard trigger? As in will you switch out you standard triggers for the flat in your other 1911s?
For me, the flat trigger helps me get the pad of my finger on the trigger more consistantly. I don't have to think about it like I do with the other 1911 I have (Para GI).

Note: I am a long time rifle/shotgun shooter and I have just gotten the pistol bug since I got my CHL, so I'm a noobie at all of the 1911 pistol stuff.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 00:11   #70
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
I'm pretty certain this mainspring housing is metal. It is a bit too rough for sure. I've had a few other folks check it out and they agree that it's pretty sharp.

I'm looking at alternates now.
If it is metal then it is stainless steel. That is a good thing as it is metal and is a good part. You can use a file on that too to knock off the tips of the checkering. Start off with one draw stroke at a time and test to your preference.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33   #71
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

STI spartan = cast

S&W = Forged
Old 12-16-2009, 08:37   #72
txbonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
If it is metal then it is stainless steel. That is a good thing as it is metal and is a good part. You can use a file on that too to knock off the tips of the checkering. Start off with one draw stroke at a time and test to your preference.
I may very well try this first before jumping to replace it. It's mainly at the very bottom near the butt of the gun that is at issue due to the shortness of the grip it is digging into my palm.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 22:05   #73
FM12
I need AMMO!

Well.I HAD a S&W sku 108284, but had to sell it for some reason. It was the best 1911 I've ever had or even shot. I am sick now, cant replace it for what I had in the first one. The best one, I say, out of about 25 or so 1911s, including several Gold Cups.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:28   #74
bootsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
Don't believe what you read, believe what you see Pick up a Spartan and look at the hammer the mold line is visible.

Just spoke to Jay Dunlap at STI and the fire control parts are EDM wire cut forgings. So the record is straight.
bootsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:56   #75
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Someone told me that I should go ahead and order a new recoil and FP spring when I bought it. Maybe the recoil spring is the issue. I have no clue how many rounds had been fired in this when I purchased it, so I don't have a good measure for life cycle unless I start my own by replacing the springs.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
That would be me about replacing the recoil spring with the correct Wolff spring. It is the first thing I used to do when getting one. It is the first thing I ever tried when there were issues with the 4 inch Kimbers and it fixed 95 percent of the feed issues.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 15:10   #76
txbonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
That would be me about replacing the recoil spring with the correct Wolff spring. It is the first thing I used to do when getting one. It is the first thing I ever tried when there were issues with the 4 inch Kimbers and it fixed 95 percent of the feed issues.

So it was back on page 3.

I went to check out the wolff spring site and see that they have normal 22lb replacements as well as XP replacements at 23 or 24lbs. Same thing for the firing pin springs, normal power plus XP and XXP. Any idea on which is the recommended to replace with on the 4" kimber?

I am wanting to just pickup a spring replacement kit for it when I order a new recoil spring, that way the firing pin gets a newer spring as well.

Thanks.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 22:23   #77
rangersniper308

I would buy this... I did. and would for sure buy it again! This is my curent and last off duty. I have had and tried everything else in the past... Now nothing but springfield.
OUTSTANDING Customer Service! and a quality product.
24 oz 3in with a rail... chip 7 rd mags for 8 rounds, shoots GREAT and less felt recoil than
my xd-m 40 Duty Gun
The emp in anything other than a nine weighs a ton more.
The emp 40 weighs more than my 4in champion lightweght as 31 oz and as for kimber quality... well :(
I need to say no more.
you cant go wrong and there are a couple on here in the firearms for sale fourms. 1 with a rail and one without at a great price

Last edited by rangersniper308; 01-21-2010 at 18:01.. Reason: add
rangersniper308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 14:43   #78
bootsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsx View Post
If this is so and STI is misrepresenting this, it is a serious issue. Owning a Spartan, as I quess you realized, I will get an answer from them in writing.
I'll post the response.
This is the reponse I got from STI. It's good enough for me. I like my Spartan and the parkerizing is easy to care for.

Frank<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The hammer is wire EDM cut out of solid steel. I have had this confirmed by the sales manager here. The steel material is machined on mills to the correct dimensions and then go through the EDM process. <o:p></o:p>
From there it goes for polishing and dressing of the hooks. These are not castings.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
As a company policy STI and its employees do not participate in online discussions. I will look at the thread but I cannot participate.<o:p></o:p>
Best regards<o:p></o:p>
Jay<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = ns0 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><ns0:PersonName>Jay Dunlap
</ns0:PersonName>Sales Accounts Supervisor
STI International Inc.
114 Halmar Cove
<?xml:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" /><w:sdtPr></w:sdtPr><ns0:City>Georgetown</ns0:City>, <w:sdtPr></w:sdtPr><ns0:State>TX</ns0:State> 78628

bootsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 17:03   #79
Ford302Glock21
Chrome Horsie

Send a message via AIM to Ford302Glock21 Send a message via Yahoo to Ford302Glock21

I had an S&W Stainless 1911 and it was great. It looked real nice and worked.

Now future wise, I will only go with internal extractor type design. I didnt mind the firing pin safety since most other modern pistols have them. In fact I figured it was a good thing. Some say it hurts your trigger pull by half a pound or something like that which I would never notice.

From what that article says though that Spartan sounds like a good piece and I probably would sport one. The only thing I dont like about my Springfield is the use of MIM parts.
Ford302Glock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 23:43   #80
jethro21

Under $1000 40s&w 1911?

So here is what I have been thinking....I just bought a RIA that I really like and am planning on doing a few mods to...but the wife and I were talking and with our tax return this year (unless Obama swipes that from me too) we are each going to get ourself something spendy we have had our eyes on.

I have a bunch of .40s&w that I have been collecting throughout my time on my department, and our armorer is much more willing to shell out boxes of 40 than 45, SO, I am thinking I might like to pick up a government or commander in .40.

I am looking for input, experience, advice and options if anyone has some. I would like to keep the price at or under $1000 if possible. I have done zero research on this, figured I would come here first.

Thanks,
Jethro
jethro21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
$1k, 1911