SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-20-2009, 14:15   #1
okie
GT Mayor

Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe honey here's some kisses for ya to make you feel better honey. I do hope for a fast recovery for ya my dear sweet lady
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 14:16   #2
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Me too LW, all the best!
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 17:19   #3
Buki192327

LW, I am praying for a good recovery, and you safety everyday. Hope things are going well for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Club #46
Buki192327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37   #4
okie
GT Mayor

Bump for LW
Old 07-21-2009, 05:16   #5
southernshooter

L/w

I missed something, what happened?
Old 07-21-2009, 16:22   #6
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Bump for LW

I can email her a link to this thread. This was really nice of you.

Added December 18, 2010
This thread has gotten very long and newcomers coming in here may not know what it is about. For that reason I am quoting an accounting of what happened to Lone_Wolfe here. She told it in the third person here in this post and I have permission to do copy it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Sgt Wolfe was at base in Afghanistan and needed to get to a remote base with some computer equipment she was sent to install and configure. She went to the flight line (a sandy clearing) on the morning she was supposed to fly, and waited for the choppers while BS’ing with some others at the base. Finally an E-4 walks over and tells the group that one of the birds had mechanical trouble and was deadlined. The next flight was a few days out. Wolfe grumbled a few choice words and started to take her duffel bag and IBA back to the tent she’d been staying in. A Captain walked up and asked what base Wolfe needed to go to and when she told him he said that if might be possible to send her by convoy. Wolfe explained that she was expressly prohibited from using ground trans. She thought about it for a second and decided to call her commander in Bagram and ask if it would be OK. She got permission to use a secure line and made the call. The first person she asked, the Major, said no, but she asked to speak to the Colonel and was surprised when he relented.

Wolfe reported this back to the Captain who told her to hang around and he would see if he could send the convoy. Wolfe went into the nearest tent that had a coffee pot and made some fresh coffee and waited for the word. A bit later the Cpt walks in and says it’s a go. About then a few more people walk in and pour themselves some liquid ambition. Someone that Wolfe had seen but not spoken to walks up and says “Hi, I’m hitching a ride on your convoy!” Wolfe looks at the senior NCO and thinks he’s nice looking and says “Cool! Which ‘RAP will you be riding in?” Greg answers “Most likely the 2nd one, same as you”. Wolfe says “Even cooler!”, and the 2 walk outside to the staging area to wait and yak.

The convoy team starts to assemble and the convoy commander comes over and identifies himself. While he’s standing there a medic with a cigarette dangling from his mouth walks over. Greg asks if he’s going to be the medic for the convoy and he says he is. Wolfe says “Well, nice to meet you, I don’t intend to need your services” The medic seems arrogant and says “Good, I only slept 3 hours last night and I don’t want to do ****!” as he walks off. The convoy commander says that he’s a real jerk, but by far the best medic in the unit, and has had a lot of training beyond what the Army provides.
Sgt Wolfe, Greg, and another E-6 get more coffee and go hang around by Wolfe’s equipment waiting as the convoy crew readies the vehicles. A couple soldiers come for Wolfe’s 2 cases of equipment and she asks for them to be put on the same vehicle that she’ll be in. They’re not big and the vehicles will be mostly empty so that’s easily accommodated. Finally the convoy commander calls the safety briefing, then tells us we’ll be mounting up in about a half hour. Wolfe goes and gets a sandwich, then it’s time to mount up and roll.

The E-6 that had been talking to Greg and Wolfe bids them a good trip and goes off to do his thing, and everyone climbs in and the convoy rolls out. Wolfe and Greg are in the 2nd of 3 MRAP’s and the sit next to each other in the mostly empty vehicle BS’ing and talking like old friends. It’s a bumpy ride over dirt roads that were planned by goat farmers. The first couple hours of the trip are uneventful.
All of a sudden a loud explosion rocks the 2nd MRAP and it stops. The vehicle design did its job well and no one inside was hurt, although some ears may have been singed by the cloud of cuss words that formed inside. After everyone calmed down and determined that no one was hurt Wolfe and Greg congratulated each other on the rich vocabularies each used when referring to the citizens of Afghanistan. The driver tried unsuccessfully to get the MRAP moving again, and the convoy commander radio that info to the other vehicles. The gunners up top kept watch but couldn’t see anyone around, then the convoy commander ordered the guard force (grunts) to get out and form a perimeter around the vehicles. Instructions were radioed back and forth, then the convoy commander explained to Wolfe and Greg that on his command they were to run to a group of large rocks between the 2 vehicles, then wait for the command to run to the 3rd vehicle and get in.
They both locked and loaded, Greg his pistol, Wolfe her rifle, and ran when told to do so. Greg went 1st, Wolfe a few feet behind. Unknown to anyone there were 2 Afghanis behind some rocks behind the 3rd MRAP, about 50 or so feet from where Greg and Wolfe were running. They both jumped up from behind the cover and opened fire in the direction of the 2 people running. Greg dove behind the rocks, but Wolfe was hit center of the chest by a round in the 1st volley. She was slammed backward and spun around by the force of impact and landed facing back toward the vehicle she had just left. The soldiers on guard and the gunners opened fire and plenty of bullets were traded. Wolfe lost consciousness after about half a minute.

This part I had to piece together based on what I’ve been told by several people. The times may be a little off, but everything else is correct.

Shortly after Wolfe was hit a 3rd Afghani started shooting from a position off to the side between the 2nd and 3rd MRAPs. He was closer to Wolfe and Greg’s location than the 1st 2 shooters and she had fallen out in the open. The fighting went on for another minute or so, and the 1st 2 shooters were eliminated, but the 3rd was staying down enough of the time that the gunners couldn’t take him out. The convoy commander had already stopped the medic from trying to get to Wolfe because he believed she couldn’t be helped. In spite of being close to the remaining Afghani, Greg decided to break cover and try to get to Wolfe to drag her back behind cover so the medic could try to save her. He ran toward her and the remaining shooter opened fire, hitting him several times. He went down and died before anyone could get to him. In shooting Greg the Afghani exposed enough of himself that the soldiers were able to kill him. As soon as the convoy commander declared the threat neutralized the medic ran to Greg, realized he was already gone, then ran to Wolfe and got busy.

OK, now back to what I remember.
Wolfe woke up after about a week, maybe a bit more and was told she was in Germany. Because of her injury she was kept heavily sedated to the point she didn’t even try to move and her memory of the 1st month or so in the hospital is hazy and spotty at best. She doesn’t remember when she heard that SOMEONE died on the mission, but was told about 2 weeks after waking up that it had been Greg. She asked the person who told her that he had died how it happened and was told an untrue story that she suspected even then was false. She didn’t find out the truth until a couple months later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, I’m mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo

Last edited by Silent_Runner; 12-18-2010 at 11:01..
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 16:43   #7
FrogWithAGlock
Girl with a Gun

I missed hwere she is sick/injured!

LW - get well, stay safe, and a

MIGHTY BIG THANKS

for all you do to serve your country!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"peaceful societies do not need general gun bans and violent societies do not benefit from them." Don B. Kates
FrogWithAGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 17:00   #8
NateHodge
Here too much

I see she is "on the road to recovery in Iraq". Is she ok? What happened?

Lone_Wolfe, whatever it is that's got ya at less than 100%, I am praying for your speedy recovery!
Old 07-21-2009, 20:55   #9
Buki192327

Lone_Wolfe, and prayers to you everyday. Hope that you are doing better everyday.

Hope that you soon get out of the sand box, and back state side.

Thanks for your service to our country.

Club #46
Buki192327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52   #10
Silent_Runner
Can you hear me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHodge View Post
I see she is "on the road to recovery in Iraq". Is she ok? What happened?

Lone_Wolfe, whatever it is that's got ya at less than 100%, I am praying for your speedy recovery!

I finally emailed her the link so she should come here soon. As to what happened I didn't answer at first because I wasn't sure what she posted about this and wanted to respect her privacy. But I did a search and found these posts from various threads explaining it;

Quote:
Last December I stopped a round from an AK-47 at close range with my issued body armor. Bullet hit me very center of the chest and the damage it did almost did kill me. I'm still recovering.

When I was hit it took me about 20-30 seconds to black out. During that time I figured I was done for.
Quote:
Ahh, but that's the best part of a relationship....the feelings of worthlessness and guilt, the narcotic induced mood swings...the randomly breaking **** in the house because of both of the above...

Let's not forget the suicidal thoughts,the sleepless nights, the waking up screaming and crying from the nightmares.....
And I'm living proof that you don't need a spouse to have all of this and more........
Quote:
I'm going to tell you what happened to me because you should consider the possibility that something like it could happen to you;
I re-enlisted in 06, got called up active in 07, deployed in 08. I was sent to Afghanistan where I was in a convoy that was ambushed. I was injured, one person killed trying to get to me to help me. My injuries are still healing, slowly and I'm dealing with a lot of guilt and PTSD issues because of this.
I didn't tell you this to deter you, but to make sure you and your family are ready for the reality that something very bad could happen to you. Whatever you choose I wish you only the best.
This is old news but her physical and psychological recovery have been slow and painful. If you are so inclined please pray for her and all our other soldiers overseas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe
I mean, I’m mentally ill, not mentally deficient! There's a difference between psycho and stupid.
Rest in Peace Jeff Abshire-1962-2012-aka 23Skidoo
Silent_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:04   #11
okie
GT Mayor

Still more kisses for Lw, get well quickly honey
Old 07-22-2009, 13:35   #12
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Okie, you Sweetie! I wish you could apply those kisses in person. But the location might make you pause.... Here's a kiss back.

Guys, thanks so much for the prayers. They are needed and appreciated more than you know.

Wolfe

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 13:55   #13
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Okie, you Sweetie! I wish you could apply those kisses in person. But the location might make you pause.... Here's a kiss back.

Guys, thanks so much for the prayers. They are needed and appreciated more than you know.

Wolfe
I sure hope one day we can meet sweetie pie
Old 07-22-2009, 14:12   #14
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

HI LW!!!

Haven't seen you around in awhile. Hope things are getting better.

Did you ever find a spot to brew some beer? I'm still willing to ship you ingredients and walk you through it!

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 15:13   #15
Restless28

Hey there, LW, it's good to see you post.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 15:18   #16
The Hawk

Lone Wolfe, Hang in there and recover like a warrior.
We are all pulling for you.
Prayers sent.
Please keep us posted.
The Hawk
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 15:37   #17
Ol Timer
↓ hog hunter ↓

Thank you for your service in protecting freedom, at home and abroad.

God speed.
Ol Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 15:51   #18
ebm1973
CLM Number 267
Charter Lifetime Member

Hang in there LW!!
California Glockers Club member #127
G29
ebm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 15:58   #19
John Galt
Anti-Federalist

Prayers sent. Thank you for your service.

The only person that makes slavery possible... is the slave.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 16:09   #20
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I can't express the gratitude WE have for you to take on this assignment. You are truly a patriot and a warrior in the best sense of the words. Thank you for your sacrifices and for your devotion to America.

I was in service but never had to put my life on the line for my country, as you have. Thank you again and I hope every thing gets better for you, you deserve it.

I salute you!

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Huge craving! | - »

Tags
angel soldier, breast cancer, chemotherapy, coming home, gtds, kicking cancer's ass, one giant leap!, rip jeff and gloria, whip those demons!