SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-15-2005, 22:16   #21
Linh40

Quote:
Originally posted by txleapd
"Sgt. Smith manned a 50-caliber machine gun atop an abandoned armored personnel carrier and fought off the Iraqis, going through several boxes of ammunition fed to him by 21-year-old Pvt. Michael Seaman."

Not to change the subject, but it sounds like Private Seaman had some balls on him too... I wonder if he's getting anything. IMHO he deserves some recognition also.
Most of the time it would be the other way around. The PFC would be the gunner but that's one good NCO taking the lead. Wish we had more NCO like that. I'm pretty sure PVT Seaman got something most likely a broze star.
Linh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:30   #22
Black Tiger

Send a message via MSN to Black Tiger
I recently toured my old duty station at Ft. Stewart ( I served with E Co. 2/7th Infantry from 1992-1995) and visited the museum and I was witness to a section which was dedicated to SFC Smith; I took pictures of it and wanted to post them for you all to see; they have, among other items, SFC Smith's personal weapon and LBV on display.

Veteran's Forum
His personal Weapon, an M4A1 Carbine; you can see his LBV on the left corner of the picture.

Veteran's Forum
A unit picture of his unit, B Co. 11th Engineer Bn.; he is in the center of the picture in the back row.

In a rather ironic twist of fate, the most famous decorated soldier of WW2, Lt. Audie Murphy hailed from the 3rd ID, much like SFC Smith did; they were both awarded the MOH in similar fashion; during combat by defending their fellow soldiers by engaging the enemy with a .50 caliber BMG atop a disabled armored vehicle (Lt Murphy on an M4A3 Sherman and SFC Smith on an M113A1 APC); both men understood that failure to take action would've meant a sure death to their fellow soldiers.

A true example of the WARRIOR ETHOS.

3RD INFANTRY DIVISION - THE ROCK OF THE MARNE.
Black Rifle Club Member #46
Florida Glockers Club Member #22
Niner's Club Member #112
NRA Member
MOLON LABE!
Black Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 19:21   #23
GreenBeret1631

Quote:
Originally posted by Sapperstang
;? Sappers lead the way.
Actually, RANGERS LEAD THE WAY — HooAh!;z

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
GreenBeret1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:48   #24
lethrnk

;?
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
lethrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 13:07   #25

SFC Smith represents the very best that the military, God and men have to offer.

Our sympathies and undying gratitude to his family for their sacrifice.
Old 12-18-2005, 13:29   #26
CADdrafter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sapperstang
;? Sappers lead the way.
^c ~2
CADdrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 20:52   #27
CombatMedic

Send a message via Yahoo to CombatMedic
OIF 1

This happened on OIF 1. It only took a couple years for the president to react to it. As a matter of Fact this guy was in my briage. 1st brigade combat team. I've been in Iraq1 since last January 8th and i'm flying out of here on December 31st. It's been a long year and my briage has suffured. Our figuresd are nearly 60 dead and in the neighborhood of 600 wounded. I've seen my fair share of blood. More then i would want to in an entire lifetime but that's the job i've chosen as a medic. Anyways, I can't wait to see my wife and children
Old 01-22-2006, 22:32   #28
Show Killer
Boost Junkie !!

Send a message via ICQ to Show Killer

Veteran's Forum
Big Dawg #3169
10 Ring #3169
G30 since Dec.'02
G29 since Feb.'07

Last edited by Show Killer; 02-19-2008 at 03:46..
Show Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 22:39   #29
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

I am without words.

;? ;1 ;? ;w ;1 ;? ;w ;1 ;?
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:24   #30
SIGShooter
Hucklebucks

I have to say right now I have quite a few tears in my eyes. I have lost a lot of great friends in Afghanistan and Iraq. I hope that his family gets through this extremely hard time. My heart and prays go out to them.
SIGShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 00:47   #31
Juliet Lima
Hawaiian Guy

Any soldier that get presented the Medal of Honor deserves it. It's a long selection process that starts from their commander all the way up to the CinC. I'm amazed that with all of the soldiers that have died in Iraq we are only now seeing the first of MOH. To think that a MOH has anything to do with the President is absurd.

I am always humbled when someone puts the lives of their fellow soldiers before themselves. SFC Paul Smith deserves all of our gratitude and respect for his Ultimate Sacrifice. From one Sergeant to another...I salute you and RIP.

SSgt Lindsey
Juliet Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 14:40   #32
NormalRandy
Holstermaker

Sappers Forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

(281) 209-3040
NormalRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 14:38   #33
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

+1

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20   #34
jekbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Lima View Post
Any soldier that get presented the Medal of Honor deserves it. It's a long selection process that starts from their commander all the way up to the CinC. I'm amazed that with all of the soldiers that have died in Iraq we are only now seeing the first of MOH. To think that a MOH has anything to do with the President is absurd.
x2... with the addition that there have been plenty of guys in US military history that have definitely deserved one but just never got it due to a lack of witnesses or the witnesses being killed soon-thereafter, political considerations (Teddy Roosevelt...) or racial discrimination. The point is, if anything, not enough have been issued. Those who have earned one, have done just that.
Old 01-24-2009, 22:03   #35
SAG

Thank you, Sgt. Smith.
I am sorry for the political bull**** presented here. You are a hero and deserve better.

I was never challenged as you were, and I can only hope that I would have done the same for my men if duty called. Few can claim to be your equal.

Rest in peace, Sarg. You did good.
SAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 22:29   #36
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of Congress the Medal of Honor to

Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith
United States Army

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on 4 April 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 fellow soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith’s extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division “Rock of the Marne,” and the United States Army.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 16:56   #37
ganooch
US Army OIF Vet

A hero in the truest sense of the word.

--Proof that Janet Reno is an idiot
ganooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 21:16   #38
ShootingTargets7.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIG19 View Post
Any MOH presentation is going to be a photo-op for whomever occupies the position of CinC. There isn't a single President that doesn't use it in some manner to reinforce their position. But it started with the recommendation at the unit level. Forget about it; it's not about the occupant of the White House. To focus on anything other than SFC Smith denigrates his sacrifice.
;?

Good to see another 10th mtn guy in here...

was 511th MP Co in early 90's

Thank you, SFC. Smith

Courage Under Fire Is The True Test Of A Man!
You sir, passed the test, and then some well done!

Last edited by ShootingTargets7.com; 08-03-2013 at 21:20..
ShootingTargets7.com is offline   Reply With Quote