SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2007, 22:59   #1
BustedFlush
Springy Member

Glock Detail Stripping Q&A and Instructional References

If any of these links changes, please PM me and I'll update them.

--------

The topic of Detail Stripping the Glock comes up all the time on GlockTalk. This means completely disassembling the pistol. Anyone who has read the manual knows Glock advises you not to disassemble the pistol beyond a routine fieldstrip - removing the slide, barrel and recoil assembly. Of course many Glockers buy parts and want to install them. If you want to do that, or if you want to learn how to take you Glock apart, please take the time to learn to do it correctly.

If you are new to Glocks, don't feel you need to detail strip your pistol immediately. Take your time, read you Glock's manual, learn the parts, learn to maintain your Glock and of course how to shoot it safely. Detail stripping is not hard, but it's not necessary to enjoy your new Glock.

Here are some decent references for Detail Stripping:

GlockMeister: (link updated Jan 20, 2011 - still here in 2013)

http://www.glockmeister.com/Tech_Info.asp

See GlockMeister's separate links for disassembly of Receiver and Slide.

TopGlock: (link updated Jan 29, 2013)

Dead links removed - I think this one is toast. Someone please PM me if you find it.

[Note: TopGlock uses pics of an older 2-pin model 17, so you will not see the locking block pin]

GlockParts: (Link updated Jan 29, 2013)

http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?P...%20Disassembly

Ghost Triggers (They sell Connectors): (Still a good link as of Jan 29, 2013. I like pages that stay put!)

Ghost Connector Instructions - good pics - could be used for any connector change

While the sites above have good disassembly instructions, when it comes to reassembly, they just say "reverse directions" or something like that. They should post complete reassembly instructions.

The 25 cent Trigger Job: )

(At some point this link was removed when the 25 center got its own thread. However, it is still a great reference for Detail Stripping, even if you have no intention of polishing anything. BF )

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/ (Another winner, still here Jan 2013

If you want a book, consider the Ptooma Complete Glock Reference Guide:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186

If you want a DVD, Lenny McGill has a couple of decent ones:

Complete Glock Disassembly/Reassembly

Mastering the Mini Glock

* includes about 40 minutes of disassembly/reassembly, in addition to shooting

http://gunvideo.com/index/71/

You can buy the DVDs from McGill's companty, GunVideo.com, or from many other retailers like LoneWolf, Midway or Amazon.

A decent "free" video (read my caveats)

This is a video on YouTube that is much better than any other free internet movie that has ever been posted. I've decided to add it to this list. He does make some errors, but if you absolutely must see a free video, this is the bests one I've found.

(Added in 2008, still a good link January 2013)

Link:

He makes a couple of parts nomenclature errors. He uses a knife to remove the connector, which is unnecessary and dangerous. He points the pistol in an unsafe direction when he closes the slide. He does not show you how to remove the slide lock or the magazine catch. He misses some great opportunities like showing you the orientation of the trigger spring. If you view this video you should still view the still photos and directions at some of the websites listed at the top.

But overall, this is the "best free" online video on this topic, so I included it. The positives outweigh the negatives, and I think if I don't post a video, others will post the horrible ones.

I did not post links to any other YouTube videos. There have been many hundreds of threads in General Glocking about other videos. The ones in question demonstrate the wrong tools, bad techniques and incorrect part names. The wrong techniques and tools can damage your Glock. This is not just my opinion, but the consensus of the most experienced and respected Glockers and armorers on this forum.

Shoot safely!

BF

------------

January 29, 2013

I updated all of the links today. Thanks to those of you who send me the PMs letting me know when a link is dead or moved. I know there are more good references out there. If you find something you believe to be a good reference, free or not, please PM me or post in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- Add your SN prefix to the list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- No Hammers!

- Timmah!

:patriot:

Last edited by BustedFlush; 01-29-2013 at 14:42.. Reason: Updating all the dead links! January 2013
BustedFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 23:30   #2
GSD17
Thread Killer

Yep. Simple as pie.

1. Top pin back in first.
2. No hammers!

GLOCK doesn't supply a hammer with it's armorer's tool for a reason.

Great post BF!

I see a sticky in the making

- I will trade parts for full cap G17 magazines.
GLOCK Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
GSD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 21:57   #3
briansp82593

quick question... when you go left to right to disassemble do you go right to left when reassembling it? or just push in from the left?
briansp82593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 22:41   #4
BustedFlush
Springy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by briansp82593
quick question... when you go left to right to disassemble do you go right to left when reassembling it? or just push in from the left?
Yes.

Right to left when reassembling. Locking Block pin first, that's the top one.

Next the trigger pin.

Start it through the right side, then get your slide stop lever in place. Manipulate slide stop lever as needed to finish pushing the trigger pin in place.

- No Hammers!

- Timmah!

Last edited by BustedFlush; 04-23-2007 at 09:54..
Old 09-09-2008, 20:45   #5
BustedFlush
Springy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Zackerly View Post
All of the tutorials show how to remove the slide lock, but not the slide lock spring. Does it just fall out or am I missing something?
Remove the slide lock spring with either a small flat bladed screwdriver or with a small pair of needle nose pliers. This is one of the few steps where the Glock Armorer's Tool (punch) is not the tool of choice.

Sorry it took three months for a response!

BF

- No Hammers!

- Timmah!

Old 10-10-2008, 18:19   #6
BustedFlush
Springy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpro-fessor View Post
Does this video feature a 3rd gen disassembly?
I had to do a little research to be sure I answered correctly.

In Lenny Magill's video Complete Glock Disassembly and Reassembly, he uses a 2nd generation Glock 22. I have not seen the whole video. I looked up reviews online and watched a video clip on the company website to confirm the answer to your question. I believe that video came out in VHS before 3rd generation guns were introduced.

I included it in my reference list based on recommendations of other GT members.

I own another of Magill's videos in DVD, Mastering the Mini Glocks. That one uses a Glock 27.

There's no difference in the disassembly/assembly procedure between a 2nd and 3rd generation Glock. A 3rd generation 22 has the rail and the fingergrooves, the 2nd generation does not.

BF

- No Hammers!

- Timmah!

Last edited by BustedFlush; 10-10-2008 at 18:25..
Old 12-08-2008, 18:40   #7
BHP9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapperone View Post
Just a quick question. I have my glock 30 detail stripped right now because I wanted to do a really good cleaning. Do I need to oil anything on the inside of the gun?
1 drop of oil is all it takes to lube a Glock.

Look at the owners manual or, if you have it, the Complete Glock Reference Guide by Ptoma Publications.

Proud member of WTFDTSG Club.

IDPA SOI & IPSC RO.
BHP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21   #8
BHP9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapperone View Post
I know what it takes to lube the glock in the average field strip but this is a detail strip
Same 1 drop, it's no different.

The firing pin liner etc. remain dry.

1 drop of your favourite oil for a field strip and 1 drop of your favourite oil for a detailed strip.

IDPA SOI & IPSC RO.
Old 02-04-2009, 13:45   #9
MyNewGlock23

Of all of the instructional videos, I have not seen one that shows how to remove/re-install the magazine release. There's one video on youtube swapping out the mag release, but it's about 30 seconds long with no commentary. Anybody willing to put one together??

"I'm a firm believer the distinct "click-clack" noise coming from the unknown dark being better than any laxatives ever made." repoman1984 :rofl:
MyNewGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 22:44   #10
Morgan

One of the best [URL]http://www.guerrillagunsmith.com/glockdetailed.htm[/URL]
great detail, disassembly and reassembly.

..............Ken

Last edited by Morgan; 04-09-2009 at 14:24..
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 22:41   #11
bdc
Former Member

flash video

http://www.glockworld.com/Content.as..._Parts_Diagram

Identifies parts AND shows them in action!

Fascinating for gun Geeks!

Enjoy

Last edited by bdc; 05-15-2009 at 22:44..
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:53   #12
BHP9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman24 View Post
Guys, in removing the pins, why left to right? why not right to left? Is there any difference? Thanks
Some guns have tapered holes therefore necessitating L-R removal and thus R-L installing. The same applies to sights.

It has become convention.

IDPA SOI & IPSC RO.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:41   #13
Nakedshoplifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman24 View Post
Guys, in removing the pins, why left to right? why not right to left? Is there any difference? Thanks
This mainly applies to the trigger pin. It has 2 grooves cut into it and the slide stop lever rides on/in the left groove. If you remove the pin L-R the slide stop release (which the trigger pin goes through) only has to ride out of the one groove, if you remove it R-L it must push through both grooves. The same logic applies in reassembly, you insert R-L so it does not have to be forced over that extra groove.

Valuable Info
Nakedshoplifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 14:43   #14
VA_Glocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedFlush View Post
The topic of Detail Stripping the Glock comes up all the time on GlockTalk. This means completely disassembling the pistol. Anyone who has read the manual knows Glock advises you not to disassemble the pistol beyond a routine fieldstrip - removing the slide, barrel and recoil assembly. Of course many Glockers buy parts and want to install them. If you want to do that, or if you want to learn how to take you Glock apart, please take the time to learn to do it correctly.

If you are new to Glocks, don't feel you need to detail strip your pistol immediately. Take your time, read you Glock's manual, learn the parts, learn to maintain your Glock and of course how to shoot it safely. Detail stripping is not hard, but it's not necessary to enjoy your new Glock.

Here are some decent references for Detail Stripping:

GlockMeister:

Fieldstrip Instructions

Receiver Disassembly

Slide Disassembly

TopGlock:

http://www.topglock.com/info/info.htm

[TopGlock uses pics of an older 2-pin model 17, so you will not see the locking block pin]

GlockParts:

http://glockparts.com/tab0/page/ufw0...LevelNav%253D1

GlockParts alternate page:

http://www.parts.cc/glock/disassembly/Disassembly1.htm

[GlockParts pushes the trigger pin out first. That's wrong.]

Ghost Triggers (They sell Connectors):

Ghost Connector Instructions - good pics - could be used for any connector change

While the sites above have good disassembly instructions, when it comes to reassembly, they just say "reverse directions" or something like that. They should post complete reassembly instructions.

If you want a book, consider the Ptooma Complete Glock Reference Guide:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186

If you want a DVD, Lenny McGill has a couple of decent ones:

Complete Glock Disassembly/Reassembly

Mastering the Mini Glock

* includes about 40 minutes of disassembly/reassembly, in addition to shooting

http://gunvideo.com/index/71/

You can buy the DVDs from McGill's companty, GunVideo.com, or from many other retailers like LoneWolf, Midway or Amazon.

UPDATE (February 2008) This is a video on YouTube that is much better than any other free internet movie that has ever been posted. I've decided to add it to this list. He does make some errors, but if you absolutely must see a free video, this is the bests one I've found.

Link: vaguninfo's Glock Detail Strip YouTube Video

He makes a couple of parts nomenclature errors. He uses a knife to remove the connector, which is unnecessary and dangerous. He points the pistol in an unsafe direction when he closes the slide. He does not show you how to remove the slide lock or the magazine catch. He misses some great opportunities like showing you the orientation of the trigger spring. If you view this video you should still view the still photos and directions at some of the websites listed at the top.

But overall, this is the "best free" online video on this topic, so I included it. The positives outweigh the negatives, and I think if I don't post a video, others will post the horrible ones.

I did not post links to any other YouTube videos. There have been many hundreds of threads in General Glocking about other videos. The ones in question demonstrate the wrong tools, bad techniques and incorrect part names. The wrong techniques and tools can damage your Glock. This is not just my opinion, but the consensus of the most experienced and respected Glockers and armorers on this forum.

Shoot safely!

BF

If any of these links changes, please PM me and I'll update them.

I see the last updates were made around Feb 2008.... has things changed since the original post (2007)...???
VA_Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:47   #15
BustedFlush
Springy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Glocker View Post
I see the last updates were made around Feb 2008.... has things changed since the original post (2007)...???
I've taken some time off from GT for the last year or so due to my real life. I promise to update any links and search out any improved resources in near future.

It looks like the first GlockParts link is dead. The rest looks pretty good. The mods apparently removed the link to $0.25 Trigger Job as a reference when the site was reorganized.

BF

- No Hammers!

- Timmah!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:36   #16
Glock23shooter
FN Herstal

Send a message via AIM to Glock23shooter
some of the link doesn't work, i'm still trying to figure out how to strip the frame...just don't have the balls yet to do it i need to see a vid or someone show me.
Glock23shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 19:17   #17
BustedFlush
Springy Member

Updated all the links

All links in the original post are working as of today.

I did not try to add anything new today.

Your best "reference" is a human being. There is no substitute for hands on learning, and the ability to ask questions of a knowledgeable instructor.

BF

- No Hammers!

- Timmah!

Old 04-06-2011, 18:47   #18
Zack3467
Zack

Just detail stripped my gun for the first time yesterday. It seemed pretty easy. and it dry fires fine, everything seems to be in working order. Im shooting it tommorow or saturday so ill find out. Any reassuring comments? would it work fine dry if i disassembled wrong?
Zack3467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 20:40   #19
barnettbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack3467 View Post
Just detail stripped my gun for the first time yesterday. It seemed pretty easy. and it dry fires fine, everything seems to be in working order. Im shooting it tommorow or saturday so ill find out. Any reassuring comments? would it work fine dry if i disassembled wrong?
If your slide falls off, you put the slide lock in backwards, don't ask me how I know that
The Big Dawg's Club #1324
Thin to win - G36 Club #48
Kalashnikov Klub #1337
Kel-Tec Club #88
G-36, PF-9,P-3AT, Romanian WASR 10/63, Kimber 1911 TLE II Stainless

Last edited by barnettbill; 04-27-2011 at 20:41..
barnettbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 21:48   #20
Ironbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
One of the best http://www.guerrillagunsmith.com/glockdetailed.htm
great detail, disassembly and reassembly.

..............Ken
That's one of the best I've seen.
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote