GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2009, 19:46   #1
mephisto24

New to Glock Talk /Pistols in SC-Advice?

Hello everyone! I am new to Glock Talk, a graduate student in SC, looking to purchase my first pistol and eventually get a CWP. I have solid experience with rifles and shotguns, and am looking into a federal position after my MA.

Does anyone have any advice for me to get started out, or links to good topics (I will also be browsing). I study German and History, and so far with my research I definitely plan on going with a Glock.

I am newly engaged, and plan on protecting my family and property to the best of my ability.

Thank you in advance!

Mephisto24
mephisto24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 21:34   #2
Carbonfly

Welcome to GT! I'm a graduate student in SC as well. I just bought my first glocks (2x G26's) for the wife and I. We took our CWP course in January and are awaiting to recieve our CWP's in the mail now.

My only advice is to read and watch as much as you can. My wife and I love to watch "The Best Defense" and "Personal Defense TV" on DishNetwork. It is very helpful in giving you drills to practice so that you can be prepared for unanticipated events. Also check out books by Massad Ayoob like "In the Gravest Extreme"

We also go to the range every week. A couple of weeks ago we took about 3 weeks off. Well the next time we went to the range....it was bad. It's amazing at how quickly your skills can drop when you haven't been regularly practicing your drills.
Old 03-19-2009, 21:47   #3
ranger88
CLM Number 130
Charter Lifetime Member

Welcome to GlockTalk! The best advice that I can give you is to shoot as wide a variety of hanguns as is possible for you to and go shooting as often as you can afford (time and money). Make friends on this forum and at the range and you'll get to shoot many different pistols.

Don't be afraid to get some professional or at least competent instruction. Sometimes new shooters learn bad habits from friends or family members and just keep practicing those bad habits. If you develop good habits in the beginning, you ll have a great foundation to build on in the future.

What part of SC are you in?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01   #4
BadAndy

Welcome
BadAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 19:14   #5
Glockphobia
NOT!

welcome to GT
Carolina Glocker #1922
You know you're in the south when :
Case(s) of beer is the legal tender for car repairs
Glockphobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:38   #6
mephisto24

I am currently in downtown Columbia pretty much, same with the Fiance. I am definitely looking forward to getting to the range in the near future. It has been a good while since Ive been shooting, and even longer since I have handled pistols.

I think my best bet will be to take a NRA basic pistol course in a couple months then go and do the CWP. Ive heard for the CWP classes they are filling up rather quickly though.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40   #7
BadAndy

Check out the Mid Carolina Rifle Club. I've been a member for almost a year now and they've got a really nice outdoor range that's about 25 minutes from downtown. Members and their spouses get to do the CWP class for free, just have to pay $20 for the fingerprinting.
BadAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 13:23   #8
Carbonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephisto24 View Post
I am currently in downtown Columbia pretty much, same with the Fiance. I am definitely looking forward to getting to the range in the near future. It has been a good while since Ive been shooting, and even longer since I have handled pistols.

I think my best bet will be to take a NRA basic pistol course in a couple months then go and do the CWP. Ive heard for the CWP classes they are filling up rather quickly though.
I'm in cola also. If you want you can come shoot my Glock. It's really easy to learn. You don't need to take a pistol course before your cwp. My wife had never touched a gun until the week before the cwp course and she scored perfect on the test. There were people who took the test that rented guns that day and they had never shot one before.

I'm a member at Shooter's choice and next month I'm going to join MCRC. Feel free to come shoot with me.
Old 03-21-2009, 13:25   #9
Carbonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
Check out the Mid Carolina Rifle Club. I've been a member for almost a year now and they've got a really nice outdoor range that's about 25 minutes from downtown. Members and their spouses get to do the CWP class for free, just have to pay $20 for the fingerprinting.
Fingerprinting is only $5 at the downtown police station on 1 Justice Blvd.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18   #10
mephisto24

Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome and help! I will be looking into these memberships as well as checking out shooters choice. I need about a week or two to finish up some school-related work, but pm me and we can link up our contact information and meet up at some point.

Tags
advice, introduction, newbie