SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06   #161
James Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless View Post
with this, you can take out 100's of BGs in seconds..minutes..
Is that a .22 Minigun? Do you have a video link?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:34   #162
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless View Post
half the weight.. yes, but you should try shooting both and compare the damage.

I have a 22LR rifle and 17 hmr rifle. All using hallow points and the 17 HMR does a lot more damage. I remember shooting a fox squirrel in the torso and took it in half... The 22LR is a lot weaker compared to the 17 hmr. check out the videos on youtube.com. You will see the 17 hmr tearing up small games like nothing.. it's actually an overkill for small games. I can easily take out foxes and coyotes with it too. Shoot a deer in the head and it will be a goner...

Some people argued with me that a 17hmr cannot kill a person effectively... Sure, maybe not, but i'm pretty positive a shot to the head will do it... the 17 hmr rifle is scary accurate..if it fails, i have my glock 27 and 12 guage 00 buck shot..

17 hmr = 2300+ FPS
22 LR = 1000-1200 FPS, i believe..
.17 HMR does 2,550 fps from a rifle. But from a short handgun barrel does much less. Down around 1,000 fps IIRC. NAA used to have some ballistics data up on their web site, but it looks like they don't make the .17 Mini's anymore.

.22 LR drops down to about 700 fps from a short handgun barrel.

But the .22 bullet weighs more than twice the .17 HMR and will penetrate much deeper.

Out of a short barreled handgun I'll take a .22 LR over a .17 HMR any day.

Out of a rifle I'll take the .17 HMR over the .22 LR and .22 mag.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 19:48   #163
James Markov

I picked up a Walther P22 with a 3.5 inch barrel(I believe) and wow what a fun gun...
Old 02-12-2009, 21:20   #164
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
Anybody use a .22 revolver?
I own a S&W 317 Kit Gun, but not my home defense gun.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 22:16   #165
fuji

Okay here I go. I just picked up a lever action Henry. 22lr and it is slick as ____ if you ever get the chance to handle one it will come home with you.
My point is I can pump out 16 rounds and hold the zero just fine. Fast fire and you can still put them in the black even with the open sights. So the moral is I would have no problem sinking all those shots with a lever action and open no fancy sights.

I do not like to keep a loaded gun in the house so I do not use it for home defense but thought about it a lot. I know if someone broke in it would more than hurt.

Joe

Damn I have the G 27 in the night stand. I guess I lost my own argument. Why did I post. lol
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55   #166
mac66
Plant the seed

Man, long thread. This thing started 2 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 00:45   #167
paperairplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
...I know i wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of a 17hmr
What cartridge would you want to be on the receiving end of...?

I mean, I guess if I really had to pick something to get shot (modern cartridge) - maybe .22LR w/ rat shot...

He11 - I've been shot with a pellet gun, didn't like that much.
paperairplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:50   #168
James Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Man, long thread. This thing started 2 years ago.
Yea, but the concept is still a valid one-economically priced guns/ammo for defensive purposes. And the .22 rimfire fits that description...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:31   #169
Cross-X
CLM Number 266
Charter Lifetime Member

Unless you have a physical disability, a .22 as a primary self-defense weapon is a joke.
Cross-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:27   #170
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross-X View Post
Unless you have a physical disability, a .22 as a primary self-defense weapon is a joke.
Horse****. . .

Worked in an ER/Trauma Center. Worked on a Ambulance. Saw a lot of people killed by that "joke" of a .22LR.

The newer .22 ammo like the CCI Velocitor is a significant leap over prior .22 ammo. It is a full 40 grains bullet traveling at 1400+ fps, which in test after test expands to .32" minimum (usually more), retains 95% of it's weight, and penetrates very well.

Also, Bill Jordan disagrees with you. . .

And here is a review of the Velocitor ammo.

Velocitor Performance Test

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 02-15-2009 at 01:40..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:30   #171
Blast
'nuff said

Let's not forget Robert Kennedy was killed with a .22 Iver-Johnson Cadet revolver.

Kennedy had been shot three times. One bullet, fired at a range of about 1 inch (2.54 cm), entered behind his right ear, dispersing fragments throughout his brain. Two others entered at the rear of his right armpit; one exited from his chest and the other lodged in the back of his neck.[28] Despite extensive neurosurgery at the Good Samaritan Hospital to remove the bullet and bone fragments from his brain, Kennedy died at 1:44 a.m. PDT, nearly 26 hours after the shooting. Five other people were also wounded: William Weisel of ABC News, Paul Schrade of the United Auto Workers union, Democratic Party activist Elizabeth Evans, Ira Goldstein of the Continental News Service and Kennedy campaign volunteer Irwin Stroll. Although not physically wounded, singer Rosemary Clooney, a strong Kennedy supporter, was present in the ballroom during the shooting in the pantry and suffered a nervous breakdown shortly afterward.

And there have been a number of instances where people have died within minutes of being shot as well as instantly, whether by accident or intentional.

Would I make a .22 my primary? No, but I'm a good enough shot to feel safe with one if it's all I got.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:47   #172
searcher66083

Since you brought up Kennedy, lets not forget that President Reagan was shot by Hinkley with a 22lr. I saw a thingthe other day that talked about it. Hinkley had some rounds called Devastators(I think) that were supposed to explode after penetration.
Tactical Shotgun Club #19,
Rimfire Club #103,
BRC #93
Kahr Club #68
searcher66083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:09   #173
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

A .22 would never be my first pick, but it's no joke.

Seen quite a few people shot up by every caliber and a .22 will certainly kill you in the right spots.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:33   #174
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Yea, but the concept is still a valid one-economically priced guns/ammo for defensive purposes. And the .22 rimfire fits that description...
Yeah, but we covered this ground before, several times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 19:54   #175
vetteman
NRA Member

I've got a 44 magnum so no need for me to use .22LR for home defense. But check out what 22LR fired from a rifle does to a gelatin block, if I had to use my 10/22, I would feel confident using it to defend myself but it still wouldn't be my first choice. A 22LR handgun I would not feel as confident with due to lower velocity and it would not be as accurate as a long gun and you do not have the larger caliber to compensate for the reduced accuracy of a handgun. If using 22LR to defend yourself, shot placement would have to be near perfect to a vital area. It is good to have a larger margin of error in a self defense situation so I prefer the larger calibers. A small fast moving bullet like the 17 HMR I would think would be likely to fragment and not penetrate deep enough.
Old 04-17-2009, 18:50   #176
James Markov

Anybody shoot the Federal "Spitfire" round?-I saw it for sale at Gander Mountain.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:08   #177
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Let's not forget in these days of ammo shortages, and possible future ammo taxes or bans, having a rimfire weapon that can be used for defensive purposes is a wise move. I have this in mind when buying guns to pass down to my kids. Who knows what the gun landscape will be in 10 to 20 years from now. 9mm and 45 might be restricted like it is in South America, or it might be very expensive to buy. If ammo prices double, or even triple tomorrow, most people could still afford to buy a box of .22 ammo.

One thing I'm also seeing is a resurgence of .22lr firearms in gun stores. right now people either cannot afford or cannot find enough centerfire ammo to shoot on a regular basis.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 15:13   #178
K-DOG

I am late to this thread... but basically what others have said...

I have done more shooting with my .22lr guns the past year cause of the economy and just shortage of 9mm, .40 and .45. So I know I can place the rounds where needed.

I have no illusion of stopping power, I would grab just about anything in my safe before a .22lr.

But if it is all I had or all my wife would be willing to shoot I would not feel too undergunned.
Old 05-04-2009, 16:22   #179
Varghedne

If a.22 was the only firearm I had for home defence it would still be my backup. My primary would be my machete.
Varghedne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41   #180
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varghedne View Post
If a.22 was the only firearm I had for home defence it would still be my backup. My primary would be my machete.
I don't know... using the .22 repeatedly until they are within machete-range would probably make them easier to hit with the machete.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote