Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:50   #21
civilwarguns

That is how I do my shooting test, You still do not add a score up. As long as they hit the target with the 21 out of 30. A good hit not off in the white.
Old 12-06-2008, 15:29   #22
Magicmanmb

SC law only states 8 hours of training and satifactory completion of live fire. No specification as to how many rounds, distance, etc...

Most will not allow you to draw from a holster. As a general guide most use the NRA guidelines on target firing. I've seen instructors who had classes shoot a box of 50, and another that had 25 rounds fired.
Magicmanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 19:06   #23
Carbonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicmanmb View Post
SC law only states 8 hours of training and satifactory completion of live fire. No specification as to how many rounds, distance, etc...

Most will not allow you to draw from a holster. As a general guide most use the NRA guidelines on target firing. I've seen instructors who had classes shoot a box of 50, and another that had 25 rounds fired.
I wish that SC would set a standard for the shooting requirement. At least that way it would be known what is expected from us and we could better train for the task.

My friend said that for his SC CWP, he HAD to draw from a holster and fire. If that is expected of me, how am I supposed to practice that when our range doesn't allow drawing from a holster? This range is also the place where we will be taking the test, so maybe we won't have to draw and fire.
Old 12-06-2008, 20:50   #24
HighlanderSC

My daughter and I took the CWP course in South Carolina a year ago (December 2007). We shot 10 rounds each at 3,5,7 and 10 yards ... and 5 rounds each at 12 and 15 yards for a total of 50 rounds.

No one drew from the holster. We all started from a ... forgot what it is called, but from a "ready" position, holding the pistol at a downward 45 degree angle facing the target. The procedure was explained ahead of time and we did everything on command. Very safe procedures. I don't recall any time limit, however I remember the instructor telling someone to fire a little faster. I believe that there is a proficiency requirement (percentage of hits in the black of the target, see NOTE below) but I was 50 of 50 and my daughter was 49 of 50 so we didn't pay much attention to the minimum number of hits. She had only shot once, I think, in her life. I had not shot in over 10 years. As I recall, all of the students (maybe 20 or so) did very well. I don't remember anyone NOT passing the course, although there were a number of people with fewer hits ..... but all did well.

NOTE: Aside from other questions, finger prints, photo, etc. the application for a Concealed Weapons Permit requires two scores: Administrative test score and Proficiency test score (shooting). That tells me that there must be a minimum score for the range work (shooting) as well as the written test.

BTW, the certified instructor charges $80 for the one day course. That includes the ammo, finger prints, and photo. He even furnished my daughter and I with .38 caliber revolvers to use. I now have a Glock 30SF.

If anyone is interested, contact Larry Smith (the instructor) at:
http://www.cwpclass.com
Foothills Firearms Training Center was recommended to me by a friend. Although I had to drive a ways to Liberty, SC from Greenville SC, to me it was well worth the drive. Very efficient, no wasted time, very professionally done. I've recommended Larry to others with no complaints. BTW, I'm not affiliated with Larry in any way.

I hope that this helps. I'd be glad to contact the instructor if there are more questions.
Old 12-06-2008, 21:24   #25
Carbonfly

Thanks a lot for the info! The class I am taking costs $65 at Shooter's Choice, but you have to supply your own ammo. You can rent a gun if you do not have one yet (it's like $10 i think).
Old 12-07-2008, 09:14   #26
Magicmanmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfly View Post
Thanks a lot for the info! The class I am taking costs $65 at Shooter's Choice, but you have to supply your own ammo. You can rent a gun if you do not have one yet (it's like $10 i think).

They do require a minimum score on the targets but how many rounds & distance is not specified in the law. Drawing from holster has a lot to do if it's an indoor or outdoor range, and, the individual instructor. BTW if you have a
Triple A + membership they will take your passport size photos for free. Some instructors build it into the fee for the class others charge extra. Before taking any instructors class I would ask what is going to be on the live fire portion. Just to know if you have to use ammo they supply, need to bring a holster (especially if they want a particular type). I know of one instructor that will only allow FMJ Winchester White Box, & prefers only semi-autos.
Old 12-08-2008, 20:21   #27
HighlanderSC

The minimum proficiency score is 70%.
One of the earlier post stated that shooting thirty rounds meant you had to hit 21. That is 70%.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22   #28
Carbonfly

I talked to Shooter's Choice today and this is what they said the test consisted of........

3 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
5 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
7 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
10 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
12 yards = 5 shots
15 yards = 5 shots

Must get 35 out of 50 to pass.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22   #29
Magicmanmb

Found this under one instructors website.

South Carolina Weapons Concealed Carry Course - 8 hour course

Instructor: Mike Lloyd - Call Neal Seaman for further information: 843-716-0511 or Email

Hours for Mike Lloyd's courses: Monday and Tuesday (full course), Friday morning split course 8 AM to 12 noon then the following Friday 4 hours, Sundays 12 Noon

For all other days and hours we will direct applicants to the other instructors

This course is designed for individuals that wish to apply for a concealed carry permit in the state of South Carolina - Course fee $65.00. If for some reason we cannot supply this service due to time constraints or other problems we will give you the contact information for other instructors to fill the gap. Of course we cannot speak for them as far as pricing.

Upon successful completion of this course the applicant will have meet the required standards and pass a standard firearms proficiency test that is required by state law prior to receive your concealed carry permit.

To participate in this course students must have a working knowledge of their weapon and safe weapon handling skills. If you desire, at no extra cost to you, we will run you through the practicum before the test as many times as you wish to feel comfortable so you can take the gun shoot part of the test without worrying. THERE WILL BE NO COST TO YOU FOR THIS EXTRA SERVICE.

Course content will include:

Legal issues, consequences and liabilities
new concealed carry laws
Conflict avoidance strategies
Personal protection considerations
The “Use of force” continuum
Concealed carry concepts
The survival mindset
Threat assessment/ Engagement
basic shooting fundamentals
Decision making skills
Law enforcement encounters
REQUIRED STUDENT EQUIPMENT

50 rounds of factory ammunition, handgun w/2 magazines or revolver with 1 speed loader, eye and ear protection, hip holster

HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS

Safe handling of firearm
Ability to load and unload a handgun safely
Fire 50 rounds from a handgun at distances of 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 15 (yards) while under time constraints
Passing score of 70% on handgun proficiency test
COURSE OF FIRE FOR HANDGUN PROFICIENCY TEST
You will be shooting at a full sized silhouette target
Proficiency test is 50 rounds of ammunition.
DISTANCE (defined by yards) LOADING SEQUENCE
3 1,2,2* (2X)**
5 1,2,2* (2X)**
7 1,2,2* (2X)**
10 5* (rapid fire) (2X)**
12 5* (rapid fire)**
15 5* (rapid fire)**
* rounds loaded and shot
** number of times run through that sequence

TERMINOLOGY

AT REST - holstered gun
PRESENTATION - gun safe in front of you pointing down range at a 45 degree angle
READY GUN - gun is being brought up to sight and fire
DEADLY FORCE - fire

Passing Proficiency score is 35 hits out of 50 shots = 70%

Registration Fees: $65.00 - $25.00 deposit required down and signed release.
(Course limited to 8 people max) - we will run this course for an individual at no extra cost.

The course firing range is not the one I took. No holster requirement this looks like this instructor uses the NC course. Also if you read his website IMO I would not want instruction from these people. www.deadbangguns.com
Seems to Hate S&W, Colt, and Glock is the only pistol fit for use.
Old 12-14-2008, 20:15   #30
southernreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfly View Post
I talked to Shooter's Choice today and this is what they said the test consisted of........

3 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
5 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
7 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
10 yards = 10 shots (shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 more)
12 yards = 5 shots
15 yards = 5 shots

Must get 35 out of 50 to pass.

I took the CCW test here in Union county. The test consisted of shooting 40 rounds. 32 had to be in the black on the 'human' size target to pass.
5 rounds-3 yards right handed.
5 rounds-3 yards left handed
3 rounds-7 yards right handed
3 rounds-7 yards left handed
4 rounds-double handed
3 rounds-15 yards right handed
3 rounds-15 yards left handed
2 rounds-15 yards double handed rapid double tap in ready position on 'fire'
2 rounds-15 yards double handed rapid double tap from rest on 'fire'

I think the instructors change for course to course, but, I am sure they would never pass someone they thought was not able to handle a gun well. I know they had a lady the week before they did not pass. She was up in age, and knew she had problems to begin with.
southernreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 20:18   #31
Magicmanmb

Just another reason we need a national standardized carry course. If we did perhaps we would have more reciprocity.
Old 12-14-2008, 20:38   #32
Carbonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernreign View Post
I took the CCW test here in Union county. The test consisted of shooting 40 rounds. 32 had to be in the black on the 'human' size target to pass.
5 rounds-3 yards right handed.
5 rounds-3 yards left handed
3 rounds-7 yards right handed
3 rounds-7 yards left handed
4 rounds-double handed
3 rounds-15 yards right handed
3 rounds-15 yards left handed
2 rounds-15 yards double handed rapid double tap in ready position on 'fire'
2 rounds-15 yards double handed rapid double tap from rest on 'fire'

I think the instructors change for course to course, but, I am sure they would never pass someone they thought was not able to handle a gun well. I know they had a lady the week before they did not pass. She was up in age, and knew she had problems to begin with.
This doesn't make any sense. Why would you ever not fire with your strong side? I guess if worse comes to worse and you hurt your strong arm, but that just seems like a weird test to me. I'm glad that our instructor won't make us do that. I've never ever practiced shooting with me weak side.

..........although, I might try at the range tomorrow. haha.
Old 12-14-2008, 20:50   #33
dudley

In missouri, we had to practice with 60 rounds I think it was then the test was to get 15 out of 21 rounds in the black at 7 yards. If you can't do that, then you should not have a CCW. I think most of us in the club can do that well by quick instinct shooting.
dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 20:55   #34
Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr View Post
Apparently it varies based on instructor.
Bingo...Tell him what he has won Johnny.

Most will have you do 3-5-7. Unholstered, then holstered. Stay in the black and you are good to go. 50 rounds. 5 rounds per "time at bat."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concealed, permit, shooting, south carolina, test