GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2008, 21:46   #461
joe2golf

My "moment" happened due to a lot of errors on my part. It encouraged me to make sure that I don't find myself in that situation again, and carrying a gun is one part of the overall learning experience.

Late at night. In a city. After about 3 or 4 beers. Took a short cut, off the main drag, through a parking lot. The area is full of panhandlers, and when this guy walked up, I assumed he was just another guy asking for money. He wasn't asking. Afterwards, as he walked away, I realized he had another guy standing in the shadows off to the side. I know... it sounds like a list of what not to do, but that's the sad truth.

Afterwards, I decided to take some steps to make sure I didn't find myself in that situation again. I got my concealed carry permit. I also took a training course. Which made me realize I needed more. I took several more classes and continue to do so. I also have learned a lot from this website and others.

How would I have used my gun in that specific situation? In that situation, if I had a gun and tried to use it, the guy with the gun in my face would have shot me. If I tried to throw down a wallet and distract him, the guy I didn't see till later would have shot me.

The thing I've learned is that situational awareness is the only thing that would have prevented this one. Don't go to that location. Don't have too much to drink and allow it to compromise your safety. Don't allow someone to get that close. Be aware of your surroundings and see him coming first. The list goes on and on. The difference in my life is that now I try to be aware at all times. It's a habit that you really have to work on but it's kind of fun after a while. Instead of feeling paranoid, I feel more relaxed. Hope situational awareness is the only part of the gun training I'll ever need!
joe2golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 22:00   #462
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
My dad always carried. Like, I never saw him without one of his 1911's on his hip unless he was in/around the house all day.

When I turned 18 I wanted a 629 S&W for deer hunting. My this time in my life I had fired just about every caliber handgun in that was made. My dad was quite the collector.

Anyway I got my NY State permit 6 months after I turned 18. I was fortunate because the judge back then who issued it was pro 2A and mine was "unrestricted".

I joined the army and only really carried when I was back home in NY. There was no reciprocity back then.

I spent many years at Ft. Bragg and got my NC permit in 1995 (I think).

Since then I have been carrying pretty much daily.

There really was no defining moment, but I had a close call against a crazy guy in a Wal-Mart parking lot. He was in hospital scrubs, dirty and screaming with a broken walking stick in his hand.

I had another incident where a guy got out of his car at a light and came to the drives side of my truck and tried to open the door. He got a nice view of my Wilson CQB compact....the business end. He was pissed because he was trying to force his way into traffic and I "cut him off". I called the police and gave them his plate number, but they never contacted me.

I'm glad the door was locked and he was unable to open the door before I was able to unholster. He would have likely been shot.

--attributed to two people: Barack Obama and George Armstrong Custer.
bennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:21   #463
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2golf View Post
My "moment" happened due to a lot of errors on my part. It encouraged me to make sure that I don't find myself in that situation again, and carrying a gun is one part of the overall learning experience.

Late at night. In a city. After about 3 or 4 beers. Took a short cut, off the main drag, through a parking lot. The area is full of panhandlers, and when this guy walked up, I assumed he was just another guy asking for money. He wasn't asking. Afterwards, as he walked away, I realized he had another guy standing in the shadows off to the side. I know... it sounds like a list of what not to do, but that's the sad truth.

Afterwards, I decided to take some steps to make sure I didn't find myself in that situation again. I got my concealed carry permit. I also took a training course. Which made me realize I needed more. I took several more classes and continue to do so. I also have learned a lot from this website and others.

How would I have used my gun in that specific situation? In that situation, if I had a gun and tried to use it, the guy with the gun in my face would have shot me. If I tried to throw down a wallet and distract him, the guy I didn't see till later would have shot me.

The thing I've learned is that situational awareness is the only thing that would have prevented this one. Don't go to that location. Don't have too much to drink and allow it to compromise your safety. Don't allow someone to get that close. Be aware of your surroundings and see him coming first. The list goes on and on. The difference in my life is that now I try to be aware at all times. It's a habit that you really have to work on but it's kind of fun after a while. Instead of feeling paranoid, I feel more relaxed. Hope situational awareness is the only part of the gun training I'll ever need!
Thanks, joe2golf, for responding to certifiedfunds's query.

When I first read certifiedfunds's post on 10/31, I wanted to respond, but my comment would've been based on 2 big assumptions: 1) that joe2golf wasn't saying that a gun would've saved him; and 2) that certifiedfunds was assuming that joe2golf was saying just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennwj View Post
There really was no defining moment, but I had a close call against a crazy guy in a Wal-Mart parking lot. He was in hospital scrubs, dirty and screaming with a broken walking stick in his hand.

I had another incident where a guy got out of his car at a light and came to the drives side of my truck and tried to open the door. He got a nice view of my Wilson CQB compact....the business end. He was pissed because he was trying to force his way into traffic and I "cut him off". I called the police and gave them his plate number, but they never contacted me.

I'm glad the door was locked and he was unable to open the door before I was able to unholster. He would have likely been shot.
Well done, bennwj. What a great thread this has turned out to be!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Wasatch; 11-04-2008 at 15:27..
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:31   #464
6F0 Nick
Just Wanna Fly

My parents were coming out of a pizza place about 10 yrs ago and avoided an attempted robbery.

As they were exiting the pizza joint, my dad noticed 2 guys off to the side near their car and another guy walking towards them with a tire iron. They quickly tried to make it to their vehicle when the other to "gentlemen" started towards them as well. My mom got the car between herself and the thugs with my dad close behind. With the 3 guys closing in, my dad unholstered his G21 out of his fanny pack (I know....) and turned around to face the guys with the gun at his side. The 3 guys quickley realized they didn't want to rob my parents anymore.
Once they were in the car my mom asked, "What were you going to do?!?!"
My dad calmly replied, "I was going to take the first guy's head off his shoulders. Then I was going to take the 2nd guy's head off his shoulders. And the third if he didn't get the picture."
My mom got her CCW soon after.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:42   #465
tedg-23
PROUD AMERICAN!

I decided to carry a gun when I looked down at my son for the first time and knew I would do anything I have to do to protect my family.
"I don`t like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - TED NUGENT
Most of all - PROUD FATHER
tedg-23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 13:21   #466
itsnitro
Got Sig?

Send a message via AIM to itsnitro
No moment in my book, turned 21, got my permitt and been carrying everyday since then where allowed.....also grew up with father that was a cop my entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6F0 Nick View Post
My parents were coming out of a pizza place about 10 yrs ago and avoided an attempted robbery.

As they were exiting the pizza joint, my dad noticed 2 guys off to the side near their car and another guy walking towards them with a tire iron. They quickly tried to make it to their vehicle when the other to "gentlemen" started towards them as well. My mom got the car between herself and the thugs with my dad close behind. With the 3 guys closing in, my dad unholstered his G21 out of his fanny pack (I know....) and turned around to face the guys with the gun at his side. The 3 guys quickley realized they didn't want to rob my parents anymore.
Once they were in the car my mom asked, "What were you going to do?!?!"
My dad calmly replied, "I was going to take the first guy's head off his shoulders. Then I was going to take the 2nd guy's head off his shoulders. And the third if he didn't get the picture."
My mom got her CCW soon after.

Your dad sounds just like mine.... I love it!
Glock 26 - Sub Club #7797
Sig P226 - Sig Club #7797
Florida Glockers #7797
itsnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 14:51   #467
joe2golf

To quote 6FO Nick, "My dad noticed 2 guys standing near their car..."

Thats what I'm talking about. This allowed him to take the later steps. Great example. Thanks.
joe2golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 16:37   #468
6F0 Nick
Just Wanna Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2golf View Post
To quote 6FO Nick, "My dad noticed 2 guys standing near their car..."

Thats what I'm talking about. This allowed him to take the later steps. Great example. Thanks.
Yup, it is all about the situational awareness. When you are out in public, there are people out there who want to do you harm whether you like it or not. It is best to be aware of your surroundings.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43   #469
eodcole

This may have been said before in the other 18 pages but I am deciding to CCW simply because I can and I want to. There was no real epiphany in my life or defining moment.
Old 11-10-2008, 22:16   #470
leVieux

Several things came together in the Fall of 1980. I had always been around all sorts of firearms and shot a lot, but rarely carried.
I finished postgraduate medical training and went to work at a big-city trauma center where the surviving victims were cared for. Daily heard horror stories from them. Also, two young physicians I knew were murdered in separate robberies. Then, one night I stopped at a convenience store and a Bad Guy tried to kidnap me. All I could think is "Where is my Python?" The next morning, he tried to kidnap an ex Special Forces gunshop owner in the same place. The ex SF put a cocked Browning High Power on the B-G's forehead and ordered the clerk to call the cops. The Judge told us that the B-G had just been released on parole from state prison, where he had been sent for armed robbery. Judge sent him right back !
All this was before CHL's. I spoke with two different career LEO's, who both said to carry, even though it was illegal.
Got a license as soon as they became available.
Once you are a victim, everything looks diffferent. I cringe when I hear friends and family say that they "only carry when it is needed"; one never knows. If you could know, you would avoid the situation entirely.
Also, one learns to be alert and to avoid situations as much as possible; BUT, there is danger everywhere.
May GOD save America !
leVieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:56   #471
italianbostonian

I just applied for my LTC, waiting for it in the mail now.
I decided to start carrying because I have had a couple instances where things could have gone very wrong. Luckly they didn't.

About a couple years ago I was threatened with a bat after I was working at a gas station and the guy didn't like a policy of the station I was enforcing. I applied for my OC permit, at this time I wasnt of age to get my LTC.

Now that I am of age to get my LTC and the line of work that I am into now requires me to be out late at night in the city, I thought that I would start to carry.
italianbostonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:47   #472
claymore504

When i came back from Iraq in 2006 I just did not feel right not being armed. I got out of the Army the next year after 10 years of service and it seemed even more "not right". So, I went and got my license. Simple as that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best and it removes all that is base. -General Goerge S. Patton Jr.
claymore504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 16:58   #473
DParker

Great thread.

I live in a 'shall issue' county in CA and knew I could get one, but just never got around to it till about three years ago.

I am a Realtor. An older Realtor in town (older guy) was brutally attacked during an open house in a decent neighborhood on a pretty Sunday afternoon. Was beat in the head with a crowbar and left for dead. They got $17. He was able to drag himself out to the sidewalk and get somebody's attention. He was in hospital for weeks and almost died.

That did it. Wife and I both got one. We are both always armed now. Can be a pain sometimes, but since I don't have a crystal ball, I always have it.

From what I've read since, there are probably more CCW Realtors than any other non LEO occupation.
DParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 13:21   #474
Lefty-Glock26

Hummm.....

Several reasons.....

1. A lot of gangs in my area. A 16 and 18 yr old gang bangers killed a convenient store clerk not far from where I work.

2. They hang in the local malls where my family and I shop.

3. I had a friend who was in a work release program working his way out of prison. He was working in a auto body shop and found out that is was an auto theft system that the local sheriff was running and he tried to get out of it. They made life tough on my friend and bullied my family over it - even broke into our home and robbed us. Needless to say, that good sheriff ended up in prison.

I carried w/o a permit for years until I decided to become legit. Applied for my permit on 9/11. I carry to protect myself from thugs and law enforcement. Dang, that's sad.
Old 11-16-2008, 19:01   #475
Heychap

I had a 5 year CCW from 1992-1997-I let it expire out of compacency and lack of interest. I started to work in a jail a couple years ago and my eyes have been opened to a segment of life far greater then what you see on the news. I figured if only a fraction of criminals get caught-I'm packing again. I just got my CCW yesterday, after applying in July. It is good for 7 years, and i will not let it expire again.
Heychap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 19:24   #476
SRT76

I have owned hand guns since I was 21 and have always enjoyed shooting. For the first 6 years I was out of college, I worked in various parts of the north east, (MI, IN, OH, NYNY) and wasn't able to get a CHL. When I moved back to Texas, it was right after Houston welcomed all those gracious and easy-to-get-along-with former residents of LA. The crime in Houston increased as much as 300% in some areas, and I that got me motivated to get my CHL done ASAP. I got married, to a woman with wonderful children and now have a family to protect.

I carry a charged 1911 to defend what I love.

That is where the rub is. The anti-gun liberals will never understand being strong enough in your convictions to take a life, or give your own.
SRT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 20:10   #477
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT76 View Post
The anti-gun liberals will never understand being strong enough in your convictions to take a life, or give your own.
That's worth a signature line.

Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 19:04   #478
MKG23

My reason for getting my CPL was because one of my best friends was murdered in a home invasion three years ago and the punk/punks that did it were never caught. We had talked about getting our CPL's before he died, but we never got around to it. The week after he was murdered I signed up to get my permit.
MKG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 19:18   #479
JohnnyEnigma

When the economy went to crap. I believe in having it and not needing it. As opposed to the other way around.
NRA member / G20 - S&W 500 4" - Mossberg 500A - Ruger SR1911 - Ruger LCR .357 - Desert Eagle 1911G
JohnnyEnigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38   #480
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT76 View Post
...The anti-gun liberals will never understand being strong enough in your convictions to take a life, or give your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus View Post
That's worth a signature line.
Amen!!

SRT76, welcome to GT and Carry Issues.

Those are good words.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote