Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2008, 16:03   #441
Torontogunguy

Kudos to you my friend. If I myself could carry 24/7 I would do just that in this crazy world of today, but I cannot. Firstly I am living at present in Canada where one can only transport a restricted weapon with an Authorization and only to a range, gunsmith or border point. NO CARRYING. It's gotta be unloaded and well locked up in the trunk.

What is even sadder is that I am an American (and Canadian) citizen. And I can only carry in a limited number of states and must be careful of what and where I carry. I have actually had a safe installed in my minivan rear to lock up my handgun when I am in a non-permitted state or area. The saddest part is that there are a growing number of states that will only issue to their own residents or to residents of another state.... so it matters not that you are a citizen in good standing.. you are discriminated against by virtue of your residence (sic). Our second amendment rights are not yet free and clear; there is much work yet to be done.

The point of this post? If you are able to carry 24/7 then DO IT. Please. It only takes ONE incident to make the difference between life and death. We have had our home invaded twice (once successfully, once not) and have had several "incidents" that would have been a whole lot more comfortable with a handgun in one's pocket. I have even had a HUGE revolver stuck in my nose in the middle of the street in broad daylight in Orlando Florida, which, as it turns out, is now in the top 10 for violent crime in the USofA (believe it or not).

So, I say, if you can carry 24/7 then do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LApm9 View Post
I am a little, sorta plump, middle aged guy, with a cheerful demeanor (and a bit of close quarters training). This spells "victim". After fending off two attempted strong arm assaults, I read a blog entry where a fellow wrote that it is our duty to exercise our right to go armed if we can, as, by doing so we make a show of our numbers. The second point the fellow made was that, by going armed, we make the bad actors of the world fearful that an armed citizen might be present when they make their move, and thus suppress crime non-violently.

Since that time (eight years) I have had three incidents, where the suspect abruptly withdrew when I grasped the grip of my weapon:

- A disheveled man rapidly emerges from the shadows and makes a bee-line for me as I fill up (only car) at a gas pump at night. He stops and rapidly goes back the way he came.

- While walking in a "nice part" of a high crime city, a chap on a bicycle passes by my son and I three times, giving us a looking over each time. He then goes past us and zooms behind a wall at a deserted gas station along our path...and doesn't come out. When we are about seven yards away, he pokes his head around the corner, notes that my gaze is on him, and jerks back. We hear the crash as he apparently drops his bicycle, and then he zooms away like a million fleas were after him.

- My wife and I emerge from a hiking trail on the edge of a medium size city and approach our car at the trail head. Ours is the only car. There is a scruffy looking chap, peeking at us, hidden behind our car. My hand goes to my weapon and I start moving laterally to cover and he flees on a bicycle.

Maybe nothing was going to happen, but perhaps due to the nonverbal signals an armed and ready man sends out, nothing did happen. This is a good thing!
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:17   #442
Gary1911A1

I'm retired from a Maximum Security Prison where my life was threaten so many times I can't remember them all. Most Inmates are losers, but dangerous none the less and some will be out on the streets again to commit other violent crimes.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:52   #443
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Toronto guy, interesting but you've posted the same thing 5 times now. I think we get the idea.

It was a no brainer for me, it'd help in transporting and since I cc without a license for a few years () it only made sense to go legal. School and employment and church shootings afterwards justs confirms the decision I made. I did post a recent incident not too long ago as well.

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 13:59   #444
Grovenator

In 1983 I turned 21 years old and I went out and bought a used 5 screw S&W Model 10 .38 with a heavy barrel, my first handgun. Two months later I had my CPL. Never gave it a second thought! Could'nt wait to get my first handgun. And why have one if I could'nt carry it?
Old 10-13-2008, 23:25   #445
singlespeed20

Well everyone in my family owns atleast one gun. Well everyone in my family that I respect. (It's funny how that works, that honestly the family members that do own a gun are the ones that I'm closest with, while the other members that do not own and are against guns are actually people that I don't want to be around. Not simply because of their view on guns but because the way that act and treat everyone else.)

I've also been raised around guns my entire life, when I was 3 my dad was in the Air Force and I even remember going to the gun range with him. I know gun safety and proper handling of a gun due to the way I was raised. I also know that they are a tool for self defense. So when I turned 21 I took the CCW class.

I haven't had any one experience that has turned me to CC. I just don't plan on letting one instance make me think I should. I'd rather be prepared from the beginning. I know that there's plenty of rotten people in the world.
singlespeed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 00:54   #446
Shadow Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsoft View Post
<o:p></o:p>
But my wife just calls what I said above paranoia.

yeah thats funny, my ex wife said the same thing about my suspicions on her cheating, till i caught her, lmao,

as far as me, growing up in west philly area you tend to be in the wrong places at the wrong time a lot. been shot at a few times when i was younger by crack heads and such.
Shadow Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 19:10   #447
D-GLOCK17
GLOCKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgunnut View Post
Last April (2006), I nearly became a stabbing victim in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and that was my wakeup call that I am responsible for my own safety and well being.
Wow. There are so many posts in response to this thread. There was no particular moment that I can remember, which could be listed as the reason but I will give one reason why I am glad to have my concealed carry permit.

I will probably come back and reply again to this thread. It's a good one.

Funny that AKGUNNUT should mention Wally World. Several years ago, when I was in college, a female friend and I made a late night Wal-Mart run. I guess it was somewhere around 2 a.m. After walking out of Walmart, and on the way to my vehicle, we encountered two young men. At first, it appeared to us that they were customers also, making a late night Walmart stop. Anyway, were walking in the opposite direction kind of paralled to us. Then the B-lined right to us. They were headed straight for us, at this time, it was unmistakable that they were also staring at us. One of them said to the other something to the effect of, "I'm going to do it". The partner was like, "OK". When the two guys were probably 10-20 feet from my female friend and I, the "more sensable" guy must have changed his mind and urged his pal to, "nah, let em go". When they turned and went towards the inside of Walmart, I hauled tail! I do not recall looking back, to see whether they actually went inside or got into a vehicle in the parking lot.

This event was several years ago, it was a nervous incident for me. I really don't know what their plans were. Some people are simple minded trouble makers. You never know, they could have just been taunting me and just trying to intimidate....or worse.

Notes:
1.Ok. I had a pocket name but it was in my vehicle which was probably 100 feet away, so I was unarmed.

2. Pocket knife in vehicle.

3. Was with a female, so I would not have expected her to help.

4. It was late night.

Anyways, afterwards I realized the severity of the incident. Yeah guys, I don't know what they were up to but my senses tell me that they were going to assault and/or rob me. I had never seen these guys before, so that made it more alarming.
Old 10-23-2008, 20:14   #448
Gear Up

It was the week before Christmas in 2007. Several cars in my area were broken in to.
also, in a neiborhood close to mine, a lady was killed the same night. Needless to say that did it.
Gear Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 17:50   #449
ronin308

No defining moment. Just exercising my inalienable right.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:21   #450
skankpile
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

-10 yrs ago at A&M college station (whoop) my house got robbed 2 times in 3 months
-now in my new Sugarland home there are home invasions in the neighborhood
-its popular for kids to act like a thugs and carry glocks like in rap videos, and have no concept of social contract
skankpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02   #451
joe2golf

For me, it was probably that time when a guy stuck a revolver in my face and took my wallet. There really is such a thing as "bad breath distance." In hindsight, I feel it was actually a blessing. It has changed the way I live and look at the world around me.
joe2golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12   #452
dusten

Send a message via MSN to dusten
Mine was when i started a family. I grew up around guns, and onboard ship in the navy worked extensivly in the armory. So i had familiarity with handguns, and how to use them. I never really had an experience that pushed me to own one though. In September of 2007 i got married after 2 years of dating. Shortly after my wife was pregnant. I now felt that I had a responsibility to my family. I bought a remington 870 for the house, and the wife bought me a G21 for myself. This summer i bought a G23 to carry, as i am away from home alot, and I now leave the 21 at home with the wife. She knows how to strip it and clean, load it, and can shoot a small enough circle that i trust her to drop someone that gets passed my rottie.
G21 - The faithful range companion #0745
G23 - The faithful concealed companion
dusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 19:45   #453
Juvenile P.O.

October of 07 I took a new job within Juvenile Justice and had to travel the State doing surprise security inspections of Juvenile Detention facilities. This left my wife at home w/o protection. She obtained her license and we got her a Lady Smith 38 special (which she is an excellent shot with). I then obtained mine for my G-23 and our Department's policy on CCW changed for the better this year. My wife feels safer knowing that I am carring wherever we go.
Juvenile P.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 15:21   #454
SMACKDAB

I saw a guy get stabbed and thrown over a bridge during a parade. They stole his wallet and we were the only ones who saw. We got back into my car and took off. One block over there were 50 or so police officers that marched in the parade and they were all laughing and having a good time...
SMACKDAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 16:17   #455
station322

carrying has always been something i wanted to do but im communist nj not a possibility i moved to pa and found out the laws were different and i happened to be working for a towing company and and working nights and going in to some of the not so great areas so its was just the logical decision
station322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 19:44   #456
stetson

9/11 and poor health.
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:44   #457
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2golf View Post
For me, it was probably that time when a guy stuck a revolver in my face and took my wallet. There really is such a thing as "bad breath distance." In hindsight, I feel it was actually a blessing. It has changed the way I live and look at the world around me.
Now there's a prime example of a Defining Moment. Thanks for sharing. Glad you weren't harmed, and even gladder that you learned from the experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:40   #458
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2golf View Post
Thinking back, how would you have used your gun in that specific situation?
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 18:42   #459
JohnHoliday

So I don't have to tell a story that ends with "and thats why I decided to conceal carry"

:P
JohnHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 19:22   #460
tedwhite

If Joe2Golf were taken completely by surprise (and it sounds as if he were), perhaps he could have gotten killed making a sudden move for his weapon. No weapon, no move.

There's not enough information in his post to determine whether he could have been forewarned. Rural area, city area, deserted street, crowded street, daytime nightime, etc.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote