Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-21-2008, 21:21   #341
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlao21 View Post
Rather than just our "castles," I decided to upgrade in coverage for all occasions
That is Classic!

Quote:
As a first generation of my family in this country, I'm proud to read some of the responses to this thread boldly stating basically, "Because I can." There are not too many places in the world where liberty could be flexed in this manner!
Only some liberties. Others, you have to apologize for.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 21:21   #342
kunlao21

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
That is Classic!
I thought some of us might enjoy that!
kunlao21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:24   #343
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC_Ghostbuster View Post
I didn't have a "defining moment" ...It just made sense to me....
Bingo! That is a defining moment.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 00:14   #344
mark72005

Friend of mine and another girl got home late at night to their apartment parking lot, and a guy came up on them and pointed a gun at them. He tried to get them both into the trunk of their car, and it was only a police officer pulling into the lot by happenstance that saved both their lives.

He ran right off, the cops said that sometimes those guys use guns that aren't real or aren't loaded because the penalty is less if they get caught. Either way if I had been there who knows, he could have just popped me and taken them.

I wasn't even there but I felt that because of the laws there (at that time, a non-CCW state) I would have been powerless to protect them even if I had laid my own life down.

Last edited by mark72005; 06-11-2008 at 19:11..
mark72005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:52   #345
simo

As far as I know, it's practically impossible to obtain a CCW in New York state.
I really really really envy you guys who live in states that respect the bill of rights.

maybe one day I'll move to Vermont, but that seems unlikely.
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 14:47   #346
RiverVan
FREEDOM

smart or wise?

An intelligent man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Should we be wise or only intelligent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC_Ghostbuster View Post
I didn't have a "defining moment" yet...and hope I never DO, actually...

It just made sense to me. Helped that I live in the sticks, and LEOs very, very rarely venture down here much. I figure that at any given time, the nearest one is half an hours drive away, give or take...

It made me kind of "warm and fuzzy" one time when I was defending CCW/the RKBA in a thread here once, and had a poster ask me if I had ever had to use a gun to defend myself. That I was so passionate about it, he said he just assumed that I had before...
Old 05-30-2008, 11:09   #347
Fire1

1.) 14 years old and my stoned Uncle breaks into our house (on a military installation) and proceeds to fight with my mother while stealing some electronics. I grab by fathers single shot 12 gage and load a round of 00. Thankfully the MAA's arrived about 15 seconds later. Honestly one of the worst expierences of my life.
2.) Friends car is stolen. Stupidly we go out looking for it and find it full of young punks joy riding. Driver cuts them off and we get out of they car. Thankfully they run of because all we had was our fists. One of the dumbest things I've done in my life.
3.) At walmart when the greeter tries to stop a shop lifter. Shop lifter slashes the greeter open and runs away.
4.) Burglery at house next door, 3 armed bank robberies in the last year within 5 miles of my house running into the woods near where I live.

I live in a nice place but bad things happen to nice people and in nice places. I will never let what happened in Chesire, Ct happen to my family while breath remains in my lungs and ammo in my guns.
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 21:12   #348
MattE225

Hello all!
North Dakotan here, right on the border of Minnesota too.
I got into guns, and I decided to get a CCW license. I have never been assaulted or anything, I just thought I wanted one. Although I keep getting mixed answers on where I can and can't carry. Some people say I can carry into businesses open to the public, some say I can't.
MattE225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:50   #349
usmcnam6869
THE FEW

I never stopped carrying 1967 ,......."wayoflife".
G26 /Lasermax / 124gr +P GS
usmcnam6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:59   #350
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1969 View Post

Do you know the fear of looking down the barrel of a rifle pointed at you, not knowing if that moment in time is the last??
Yes I do. And I got told off by someone who knows that I carry stateside at our local gun club Thursday night; what a surprise. He warned me about the cost of carrying "make sure you have $50K set aside"; many local police departments aren't very friendly; expect to lose your gun and have it locked up for five years; expect to see the inside of a jail for a year or more; etc. What a crock. I tried to set him straight to no avail and finally I just said "Have you ever looked down the muzzle of a 357 magnum revolver? Because I have and it will never happen again. My family was with me. We are fortunate to be alive. Please don't lecture me until you know what you are talking about". I would much rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 20:01   #351
LastDitch

20 years ago: Wondering how I was going to ride a motorcycle, with a gun legaly...talked to cops, lawyers, people that should know...all differed in thier opinion of what violated the concealed weapon law...so for $50 I 'bought' the right to carry a firearm legaly. Problem solved.
LastDitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 13:58   #352
W420Hunter

Send a message via AIM to W420Hunter Send a message via Yahoo to W420Hunter
columbus gone to hell

I a 23 M born in Columbus Ohio. I was raised by my grandfather and Uncle. At age 14 i shot my first shot gun, it was a side by side Parker. It has a duel trigger and i wanted to look kool so i had my finger on both tirggers, well the kick made me pull both at around the same time and i dislocated my sholder lol. It became clear that i needed to be able to protect myself one june day about a year ago. I was driveing down town close to OSU. I was in the left lane the right was a right turn only. Thats then a car in the left hand lane illeagely crossed the street swipeing my car and all but pushing me into on comeing traffic. When i sounded my horn a man in the back seat leand out the window with a gun in his hand. I got my hand gun the next day and my CCL less then a month latter and now its allways in my car
W420Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 18:11   #353
gmaster

well.. a buddy of mine was at the time a retired police detective but had 25 yrs on the force as a patrol officer.. i would listen to him and his stories and i kept talking to him about thinking of getting a pistol to carry with me when my wife and i went on vacations.. and for myself at my shop.. and at the time we lived in "fayettenam" near Ft. Bragg.. if you know where im talking about the area started to get bad.. i had lived there all my life but it was getting worse.. i ran my own business so i thought it would be a good idea to get a handgun.. he gave me alot of information.. he was a pro gun guy.. lots of guns/rifles/shotguns in his collection.. i asked him which would you buy if you had to right now.. he said no question.. glock.. which he had clarried a G22 forever.. i asked him why and he explained everything that you all know now.. he also told me if would be a good idea if i took some training and then got a permit to carry concealed.. i had already done the research and with NC being one of the states that offered the permit.. it was an American thing to do.. i did the training.. did the research on which glock to purchase.. found glocktalk.com even met some members.. i went to the range numerous times and shot just about every glock that was out at the time.. finally the one that felt the best in my big hands was the G23.. a match made in glock heaven.. then i took the ccw class and the rest is history.. so the main reason was personal and family protection... and i would do it all over again.. and i hope i never have to use my weapon but its nice to know that its there not only for my protection.. my family.. but any by standers that might need the help..

keep it safe.. carry for life
.40 S&W Club #39
There can be only one! That is a GLOCK!!
The Kalashnikov Klub #39 - Romanian SAR1 and SAR2

Last edited by gmaster; 06-09-2008 at 18:15..
gmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:18   #354
SELFDEFENSE

Brady Bill.
"You will really need the 2nd Amendment when they try to take it away"
(paraphrase of T.J. the founder).
Have been vigilant (the price of freedom) ever since.
SELFDEFENSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:20   #355
P.K.

What got me into guns was when I was at a McDonalds and some black dude wearing a ski mask and a bright colored construction vest came in with a crowbar and a mouse gun and went to the register and demanded money. He was high cause he started to grab the woman's breast at the register. I was with my brother and all the customers ran out. I'm getting my CCW within the next month, but I've been working a lot with weird hours and haven't been able to get them.
P.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:59   #356
wolf4000

My home was broken into. No one was home but the alarm went off when this fool broke the window that had a "Monitored Alarm" sticker on it. And judging from the report I got from my alarm company he still entered setting off every motion sensor I have in my house alarm blaring and all, and believe me this thing is loud. Strangely enough he did not take a thing. This got me nervous because I heard about these guys breaking in and checking out a house, then breaking in at a later date to clean house.

Because this idiot did so much damage to the frame of the window and the frame of the sliding glass door it took 2 weeks to get the parts to have it replaced. I slept on my couch by the broken window for one week. After the first night I went to a gun and knife show and purchased my G19. I had to wait for the cool down period to pick up my firearm but the night before I had to pick it up I saw in my rear view mirrors a car following me without headlights on.

Call me paranoid but I hit the gas and took off like I stole something. this was about 3AM so I drove to the nearest police station and sat in the parking called home to make sure my family was OK. I did not tell my wife about the car following nor does she know abut the purchase of the firearm. lot for about 20 min then. The next day I picked up my G19.

wolf4000
wolf4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 19:32   #357
Saltcreek

I carry because after I retired I felt kind'a naked without one after living with one on the job every day for 25 years. Also a lot of people I sent to prison were not real nice even though they have promised to visit me when they get out.
Old 06-17-2008, 15:58   #358
Prometheus77
GOA - RWVA

The light bulb clicked for me when my 7th grade spanish teacher was raped and murdered, found dead off of I-95 when I was living in Florida.

It was strange that she was one of this nut jobs victim, after all, she was a 3rd degree belt and won several regional awards in competitions. My mom made the comment, too bad she didn't have a gun. My parents owned a pistol and shotgun, but never carried or really talked about them.

I though that was a great idea.

When the smoke cleared a year later they caught the guy after murdering and killing a couple other women on I-95 and surrounding state highways... thats what taught me to be very cautious of the police and not to blindly trust them. He was a FHP officer who was caught by a fellow Trooper in the act. Guy is still sitting on death row as far as I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prometheus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 16:07   #359
Yellowfin

^ Do your parents carry now as well? I'm working on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn Jilette
You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws. It's insane!
Yellowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 14:51   #360
Prometheus77
GOA - RWVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
^ Do your parents carry now as well? I'm working on mine.
They didn't up until after 9-11. They started talking to me more about it and since I had the opening I started point out the various crimes and home invasions ect. ect. in their area. Since then my Dad got his LTC and Mom still believes that the police wouldn't write up a 65 y/o retired Air Force officer for not having a license to carry. My Dad also retired Air Force Major (yeah the whole family except one of my brothers is Air Force or Navy) knows better than to think some rookie wouldn't nail him for carrying with a concealed weapon even though he's in his 70's now and hasn't even had a speeding ticket since '92.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prometheus77 is offline   Reply With Quote