GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:28   #41
MrsKitty

I was browsing the other night and spotted this...

I asked Eddie to sticky it for us since Woof started it ;w
Old 02-02-2005, 16:13   #42
scowan007
memberrific!!!

different chocolates have different levels of toxicity. Bakers chocolate is the worst, then dark, then milk.

Grapes and raisins are toxic to pooches' livers. It is a cumulative effect.
scowan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 17:27   #43
RottnJP
Lifetime Membership

I have never stressed milk chocolate too much, every one in a while, but I do know a lab that got hold of about three tablespoons of bakers chocolate and passed away.

The sick thing? It was a chocolate lab named Hershey. I'm serious.

They just got another one, and named it Toby, short for Toblerone.

-JP
Outpost Member #69.14159
RottnJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 22:01   #44
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Late post but maybe fruitful - I heard you should never give aspirin to a cat. They have some sort of reaction... when my most recent cat was dying I debated about it until I heard otherwise. A reaction would have created greater pain. ;g :(

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:12   #45
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Quote:
Originally posted by General Sherman
Dogs should not eat alcohol?

Why will they sip your beer or wine if you turn your back?

There is no shock like going back to your wine glass on the coffee table and noticing that it is a half inch lower in wine than when you left it. You never know where their mouth has been. Ugh.

Little thieves!
I think dogs and cats just like the taste of people's backwash. When I had my cat, she seemed like, unless she got REALLY thirsty, that she'd only drink out of a drinking glass that I had drank from. I could get her a clean glass just like the one I was using, and the same filtered water from the SAME refrigerator spout and she STIIL absolutely HAD TO DRINK OUT OF MY GLASS! I don't know if I'll ever understand that.

;g

;8 ;I
Old 02-10-2006, 11:26   #46
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Quote:
Originally posted by keepontruckin
My Lab had a habit of "accidentally" knocking over beer bottles with her nose, then drinking it out of the carpet. I can't remember exactly how we broke her of that.
A distant cousin of mine has a pug who likes beer. (Like owner like dog seems to fit real well here.) My cat once got ahold of my plate with a bunch of pizza grease and garlic butter sauce on it, and pretty much licked it clean (I was outside working on something when she got to the plate.). She had diarrhea real bad the next day. and she was vomiting a lot, too.

;g

;8 ;I

Last edited by Walter45Auto; 04-05-2006 at 20:59..
Walter45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:46   #47
GotGlock1917
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by mzenzer
You "theory" is wrong, regardless of how rediculous you think it is, It's a medical fact. Chocolate kills dogs. Period.
I'm not going to argue with you because I know it is a fact. My dogs have never tasted chocolate because I do not want them to know what they are missing.

Now I will add this. My sister-in-law had a toy poodle(Coco) that ate Hershey Kisses every single day for 17 years!

I suspect Coco would have made it to 60 or 70 without the chocolate.

John
Outpost Member #96
GotGlock1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:38   #48
mlcs

i think ,correct me if im wrong that tylenol (acetomenifen) is bad for cats not asprin.
Old 04-25-2006, 19:58   #49
GotGlock1917
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally posted by mlcs
i think ,correct me if im wrong that tylenol (acetomenifen) is bad for cats not asprin.
Tylenol is a definite no-no for felines. I have heard both yes and no for aspirin.

Some say Tylenol is ok for dogs but I won't use it. I keep a small bottle of children's aspirin just in case.

LINK

Excerpt:

Acetaminophen is the main ingredient of Tylenol and several other non-aspirin pain relievers. It possesses both analgesic and antipyretic effects. The feline toxic dosage is 50-100 mg/kg. One regular-strength tablet (325 mg) may be toxic to cats, and a second could be lethal. One "extra strength" (500 mg) tablet can result in toxicosis. The most common abnormalities observed upon physical examination of cats are: increased respiratory rate, pale-muddy mucous membranes, hypothermia, and tachycardia. Other signs are CNS depression, anorexia, vomiting, swollen face and paws, salivation, diarrhea, coma and death.
GotGlock1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:51   #50
cznut

This would be our golden retriever Katys basic party package. Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
cznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 18:24   #51
PaulMichael

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by younggenious
Don't eat Suger, Hydrogenated Oils and Trans Fats. Don't eat ANYTHING PROCESSED! Natural fat from healthy range fed animals that have had access to naturally growing grass and sunshine is very healthy. Raw milk is a miracle super food. Meat is good for you. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Don't eat ANYTHING PROCESSED or Enriched. Don't eat Soy products.

I second that. My dogs eat 95% raw. Raw beef, raw chicken, raw turkey, raw organs, raw eggs, etc. They love cheese and won't eat the pasteurized stuff. They'll lick clean a bowl of raw milk.
PaulMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 19:28   #52
b97m

Crap. Yesterday I shot two pears out of my potatoe gun and fed the outer part to my dobe. Do you think its going to hurt him?
b97m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 17:26   #53
Ranger.357
NRA Member

We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES...olatetoxic.HTM
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.
Ranger.357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:13   #54
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

My 10 lb doxie once at the following (on different occasions):

1. A whole bowl of hershey's kisses, including foil (estimated 20-30)
2. A 3 piece chicken dinner from Popeyes, bones, fries, all
3. A whole used filter of coffee grounds
4. Mountain of fudge (estimated at about 2 pounds)
5. Nicorette gum (2-3 pieces)
6. Raisins my kid threw down
7. Grapes my kid threw down

I'm sure there's more............
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote