SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2008, 19:27   #241
hjery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel1846 View Post
When I was in the military I always carried 1911 when I moved cross country. Jumping ahead 1990.....in the Tidewater area of Va. we started having a hugh number of car jackings, robberies with murders.
I started packing my 1911 when they found a car jacking victim dead in her trunk not far from where I lived.
One month later that 1911 saved me from a baseball bat swing thug who was coming around to the drivers side of my Bronco(which was stuck in traffic). He saw my 1911, dropped his bat and ran.
I've carried every since, and it has saved my life at least twice. The last time from 4 gang banger in Corpus Christi Texas.
Now it is funny to say but since I now live in white rural Oregon I've never even had to put my hand on my CCW(10 years).
The price you pay for none diversity.
Are you saying that non whites are always the bad guys? Just because there are some that are bad does not make us all bad. It just depends on where they live that makes them good or bad.

Last edited by hjery; 03-24-2008 at 19:48..
hjery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 22:05   #242
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogunguy View Post
Good for you! Bravo!
Bad guys look for easy victims; you still look like a victim - remember that. You still LOOK like a victim because mose young moms would not be carrying a gun and would do nothing to jeapordize the well being of their baby. You do, on the other hand, have the element of surprise on your side now. For the very same reason.

What you need now is some serious training and practice; it will make self defense a reflex and it will give you an opportunity to think out in advance some things that you may HAVE to do to protect your child that you would otherwise never think of doing. Nuff said as it is repulsive to think about... but you are going to have to be prepared, practiced and absolutely willing to what needs to be done. Better a toddler or baby with a bruise that is out of harm's way so you can do what you need to do. Please. Get some quality training. It will help keep you out of harms way perhaps and it will help you to deal with things if you do get into harms way.
I think you're reading way too much into babyg26mama's post, Toronto. It seems you're automatically assuming that she's an untrained novice simply by virtue of her recent GT membership date.

Just an observation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 22:27   #243
iiibbb

Hurricane Floyd
iiibbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:19   #244
andybob
Do Work

As many of you have said there is no real defining moment.

My senior year of high school I was able to do ride-a-longs with the local PD, Sheriff's, and spend a day with the State Troopers and that opened my eyes up to all the bad in the world. Then I worked for the District Attorney (good friend of ours) and found out more about how evil people can be.

Around 5 years ago there was also a drug murder 1/2 from the house. I was able to see the pictures from it and it is alarming what a 12 ga. will do to someone's head.

Fast Forward to now: I have decided I want to be a New York State Trooper (I have to wait another 3 years to take the test) and I beleive in personal protection. I don't want to ever have to think to myself "I wish I had a firearm" and I like to always be prepared. Not only do I want to be able to protect myslef, but I want to be able to protect those around me.

Andybob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
andybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59   #245
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiibbb View Post
Hurricane Floyd
What a cluster **** that was. I as home sick with pneumonia with Floyd sitting 100 miles due east of my home in Jax. Couldn't have gone anywhere if I'd wanted to...turns out, couldn't have gotten out anyway.
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 15:47   #246
Yellowfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogunguy View Post
Good for you! Bravo!
Bad guys look for easy victims; you still look like a victim - remember that. You still LOOK like a victim because mose young moms would not be carrying a gun and would do nothing to jeapordize the well being of their baby.
Shouldn't it occur to them that NOT carrying jeopardizes them both?
Yellowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:53   #247
340mopar

Mike HAmmer, Miami VIce, ...

Just kidding. I got mine so that when I carry I am actually leagaly doing so. I have been places at imes I wished I had had my gun. Now I can carry and not "wish I had it".

usually I have no real need to have it on me, other times its nice.
340mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 22:24   #248
Rocknropes

Man, I just read through all 285 posts and Im sure glad I signed up to take my class next saturday(4/5)! I just recently purchased my first handgun, which is a 2nd Gen Glock 19. Im still waiting for the 3day waiting period but I can't wait to take it home! Im brand new to handguns, with the exception of shooting my dad's .357 magnum once when i was 10. I can't really contribute to the thread as I've never had anything bad happen to me that was violent but my reason for getting a ccw is " just in case" . that's about it.
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 14:37   #249
M4RifleGuy

I live in Illinois---enough said there. But I do have a few incidents to share that happened, not to me personally, but close enough...

The first event, which really got me thinking, happened in June of 2005. The town I live in is in the Metro East of St. Louis. My neighborhood, in all fairness and honesty, has seen shifting demographics. There are some apartment complexes across the street from my home and there was a man and a woman outside arguing very loudly and quickly shifting from verbal to what I assumed would soon go physical. I called 911 and quickly told the dispatcher what was up and the location on Park Drive. She started asking me questions like "Can you see if there are any weapons drawn?" My response was on the lines of "Are you nuts? I'm not going to see!" She said "OK...police are on the way." Well, low and behold a solid 5 to 10 minutes pass and no police. About this time I get a phone call back and it was the same dispatcher and she asks "Sir, where are the apartments on Park Avenue?" I said "NO, PARK DRIVE!....WEST SIDE OF TOWN!" All I hear is "Oh my gosh...click" A min or two passes and police cars start flying in from all over. By now, it was all over and the two disputers calmed down and went inside. I talked to one of the officers and told him the scoop. They stayed for ten minutes, saw nothing, and left.

Second incident was a little more freighting. It happened last year in October. It was my dad's birthday so we had family and friends over just relaxing on a Monday evening. My neighbors next door are older folks so maintenance doesn't always get done around there house in a timely fashion. In this case they have some steps on the front of there house just like ours. Not real big but enough to seat a couple of people. In addition, the porch light above the steps was out creating an opportunity for the BGs in this case. I was inside the whole time and didn't know what was going on. My dad was outside talking with his brother in law and they soon left. Dad came inside and said some guy just took off running through our yard, knocked over our wood pile, and kept running. Well, here's what I found out later on from the officer that later showed up to get our witness report: A local Imo's pizzeria driver, a girl in this case, was out delivering pizza after 9 pm. The order came in for a pizza from the BGs sitting on my neighbors steps. They gave her the wrong address, she went back to Imo's and called the person who ordered the pizza, and he told her that he made a mistake and gave her the right address. She came back to the address, got out of the car, and the guy called her over. She asked him "why are you hiding in the dark" (or something of the sort); he discredited the statement and convinced her to come over anyway. As she approached two other BGs jumped out from the bushes and beat her up, stealing over $300 in cash on her. She pulled a knife but didn't stab any of the assailants. She stumbled back to her car beat up and with a black eye and called the police. This is all when my dad saw the guy run through our yard.

Third incident. I was a sophomore in high school and a fellow classmate and I were working on a group project. We met at my dad's office to finish the item and we landed up going into the evening. My dad and uncle thankfully landed up staying as well which is why (and most likely) nothing occured. This guy and his young son come to the door well after closing. My dad answered and managed to persuade him that if he needed insurance to come back tomorrow for a quote since we were closed for the evening. Anyway, he leaves but we find out the next day the the bicycle shop guy next door was mugged by this guy. He pulled a handgun and took whatever cash the bike owner had on him and the store. I only imagine that it was because there was four of us in the office that he decided to walk away and choose an easier target.

Last edited by M4RifleGuy; 04-02-2009 at 14:56..
Old 03-30-2008, 18:18   #250
cdiaz6000

July 2006 -

I moved into what I thought was a decent neighborhood. I had recently got custody of my son and needed something bigger for the both of us & the girl friend fo course....

Within a week, I noticed that I wasn't the only new tennant on the street. There was an ex-convict / convicted fellon who had just gotten out of prison a week before I moved in - living accross the street. I'll call him "b" from now on.

B had a lot going on. All his ex-convict buddies would come see him all day and all night! Loud music, broken beer bottles, trash, litter, fights, gun shots were norm every time B had company.

It got worse - By August 2006, another one of B's friends moved into the house next door, he was squatting at one of the tennants......

By November 2006, there were three shootings and a stabbing on my street. What made it worse was the house was right accross the street and I lived on the first floor. I was away at Drill (National Guard) and came back to a bullet hole in my living room window and TV.

The next few months were on and off - I'd started taking down license plate numbers, e-mailing the police department, taking notes while I was waiting for my CCW class... I had expandible batons, baseball bats strategically placed in my house, car and carried knives - which was crazy, considering the "bad guys" had guns. But it was better than nothing.

One of my neighbors asked B why he allowed outsiders to disrespect his house and "our" other houses. B's reaction to her question was pulling a gun and telling her to mind her own business. When my neighbor told me, I called the police and they asked if she was sure it was a "real" gun.... I was like WTF? I approached B and he denied the incident - a few days later, one of B's friends asked me if I was a cop.... He told me to mind my business and 'watch' that pretty girl of mine.... I snapped and introduced him to my fist and baton until the police came.... they did't arrest me or him, but suggested I move... The guy kept coming around every time he was drunk for a "rematch" as he called it. LOL - what a dirt bag! I'd already made him my b**** so I was NOT interested in a re-match.

I finally got around to my CCW class in March 2007, but I did NOT physically get my permit in hand until July 2007!!! I'd already moved out of the neighborhood when my lease expired...

The whole ordeal changed me. I'm a soldier, I'd been deployed, combat veteran ect.... but I couldn't protect myself, my son or my girlfriend against a few gang, punk loosers who had nothing better to do (but had guns). they would stand outside my living room and talk smack! they would sit on my car! leave trash on the sidewalk - the police was NO help at all!

I now own 3 firearms and carry anytime I am NOT in uniform.... and sometimes I carry anyway if I'm going to "questionable" places.

My girlfriend just picked up her CCW permit this week as well.... i've already taken her shooting so it's all good.

Last edited by cdiaz6000; 03-30-2008 at 18:23..
cdiaz6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:15   #251
kdross

Here is the best example of why everyone should have a ccw. This is making the news in Philadelphia and is a brutal and pointless killing. Basically, 5 teenagers were bored and beat the living crap out of guy who died from his injuries. The guy was minding his own business and was the manager of a Starbucks. If he had a gun the story would have ended differently. Surprisingly, no one came to his defense. And this happened in center city and in one of the major subway terminals. There had to be lots of other people around and no one helped him. Where were the police?

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news.../17122156.html
kdross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:40   #252
FillYerHands
you son of a

I got my CC permit when I bought my first gun in 1992. I have had one ever since, and I carried whenever I thought the situation might warrant it.

9/11 made me see that the situation warrants it all the time. I carry everywhere is it legal to carry. And some places it isn't legal.

Clip? Magazine? Who cares? Take

|
|
Life Member |
FillYerHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:20   #253
Dean

I was robbed at gun and knifepoint by two Jamaican gang members in New York City. One had a 1911 to my abdomen. The other was behind me with a rusty knife drawn back ready to stab. Just before the robbery there was a moment when the robbers gun was exposed in his waistband and I could have easily killed him, had I been armed with more than a knife.

I read what happened to Bob Lonsberry. All I can say is that it gets easier to shift to full aggressor mode when confronted by a criminal with experience and training. If a criminal accosted me and announced a demand for money today I'd blow his spine out without hesitation. No effort to walk away or to turn my back to him. No question about it. Read Lonsberry's story. He was fully prepared to let that animal kill him.
http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=72&go=4
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:41   #254
lphil

In January of this year my next door neighdoor neighbor was shot at in her home during a drive by. Since then I been thinking about getting a gun. As of Febuary I'm a proud owner of a g39, and this Sunday I'm taking my CHL.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09   #255
benni302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I was robbed at gun and knifepoint by two Jamaican gang members in New York City. One had a 1911 to my abdomen. The other was behind me with a rusty knife drawn back ready to stab. Just before the robbery there was a moment when the robbers gun was exposed in his waistband and I could have easily killed him, had I been armed with more than a knife.

I read what happened to Bob Lonsberry. All I can say is that it gets easier to shift to full aggressor mode when confronted by a criminal with experience and training. If a criminal accosted me and announced a demand for money today I'd blow his spine out without hesitation. No effort to walk away or to turn my back to him. No question about it. Read Lonsberry's story. He was fully prepared to let that animal kill him.
http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=72&go=4
That is a great article, and all the more reason to carry.
benni302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:21   #256
RyansFortyFives

Definitely started when I was a kid.

1st Reason: When I was 5 I was in the car with my Grandma and my cousins. A guy came up and shoved a gun in her face and tried to carjack us. My grandma (this is cool) shoved the door into his nuts and he ran away.

2nd Reason: When I was about 12 or 13 me and my friend saw his parents rent house get robbed. We were on foot with no cell phones, so we couldn't do anything about it.

3rd Reason: When I was 17 I was in 7-11 at the ATM and strung-out junkie with a 10" Filet knife in his sock tried to rob a Chinese guy. He dragged him around the store and tried to take his money, but the chinese guy screamed and kicked until the guy just ran off. Could have ended up much MUCH worse.

I have stood by, 3 times, and watched a crime happen, helpless to defend myself from an armed criminal. Helpless other than my own hands. I decided right then and there to get my CCW.

Thin to Win Club Member #5,000
Sub Club Member #5,000
-----------------
RyansFortyFives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:26   #257
Dutch48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1969 View Post
I was robbed at gunpoint of a rifle at my place of employment on July 26 2003, and almost again on October 18, 2003. That was the wakeup. I thought I was going to have actually use a gun to defend myself against a car-jacking in 2005, they guy grabbed the door handle at a gas station after I decided I wanted a coca-cola. I know he saw the glock, because after I yelled he didnt want my truck, he turnt tail and ran off. The barrel of the glock was pressed against the glass.

And one more incident years ago, some punks in a car pointed a revolver out the window of a white hyundai. I wish I had a gun then, because know when I think back about that incident the police where called and it took them almost an hour to respond. And I remember the retarded-ass manager coming out asking why in the hell did I drive like a maniac and almost take out 2 of the gas pumps. He said he was going to call the cops and I had to leave. I told his sorry behind he would drive like a maniac if someone pointed a gun at him, and maybe he should call the cops. He did and when they got there, they stayed for 30 seconds, and no report. Low and behold a few months later, I saw the same car with the same 4 guys.

Do you know the fear of looking down the barrel of a rifle pointed at you, not knowing if that moment in time is the last?? If the thug decides to be a heartless asshat and shoots you for your last 15 dollars.?? It sucks, and I refuse to be a victim again. Im not saying Im gung-ho and am looking for an excuse to just shoot someone. Its far from that, but if I have to defend myself, I will.
And the crime that happens on a daily basis, is another reason.

Many, many, many glocktalkers have had a similiar experience and dont wish to selected to be a victim again. And those that havent, dont want to be the next one.
You should realize that by pressing the Glock against the curved side window of a vehical that it more than likely was out of battery and would not have fired. Not so with revolvers and not so much with XD's but all other autoloaders, the slide will be pushed back and out of battery.
Dutch48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:03   #258
Dutch48

I to have several reasons to carry, when in High School I worked at a jewelery store and went to the bus station to pick up something for the owner and on the way back had a guy pull a knife on me demanding the package I was carrying. second was my mother was a Pharmacist and was robbed at gun point one afternoon while I was in the store room doing homework. I became DS when I got back from Nam and have carried ever since 1968. Thank god I have had to use it only once in all them years, but it saved my life and probably my wife's also. We both carry from the time we get up until we go to bed and they lay on the nightstands, since our kids are grown.
Dutch48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:06   #259
literaltrance
H&K All The Way

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...-missouri.html

This happened two blocks from my house. I've been a resident of Kirkwood for two years now, and it's quite possibly the nicest and "safest" place I've lived. But stuff like this can happen anywhere, and it just goes to show you how close you can be to a volatile situation.

I got my CCW last week.
literaltrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 23:12   #260
CaspianHG

I chose to carry not because I was ever a shot at, stabbed, mugged, threatened, or made a victim. I chose to carry because I flat out refuse to let that ever happen to me, anyone I care about, or anyone even near me. At the end of the day YOU are the only one responsible for your safety. YOU. No one else. If something bad is going to happen to you itís going to happen fast, you simply WILL NOT have time to call the police, and even if you do, chances are they will not get there in time. I care too much about my friends and family to risk letting anything happen to them. I hope that I am never in a situation where I will have to use my sidearm, but if I do I will pull the trigger without hesitation and without remorse. Because itís going to either be me or him, and a guarantee itís not going to be me.

I now carry with me everywhere I am legally allowed to do so, and if Iím not allowed to carry I still have some other means of defense.
CaspianHG is offline   Reply With Quote