Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2008, 13:53   #41
Chup

I never felt underguned. I carry a 5 shot 357 Snub IWB and a 5 shot 38+p Snub in my back pocket. I also carry reloads for both.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 14:41   #42
SAWBONES
Hoplophilic Doc

"Do You Feel "Undergunned" carrying the Snubbie?"

No.
Or at least not until I recognize that I'm being attacked by more than five ex-con big behemoth gangsters.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:00   #43
Goldstar225
NRA member

I believe that my 642 will probably handle most, if not all, situations I'm likely to encounter when I'm off duty. That being said, I feel "undergunned" if I have anything less than an 870 or AR-15 in my hands.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:57   #44
bamarammin87
h8tr

I feel fine most of the time with my 638 with +p hollowpoints in it. I do wish there was a way to conceal my .45 tho.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 15:24   #45
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Nope! I can shoot it accurately enough, and my Taurus 617 holds 7 rounds of .357 Magnum. I feel just fine using it as my EDC.
Old 03-12-2008, 19:52   #46
AJSully421
Armed Citizen

3 rounds, 3 YARDS, 3 seconds... and that was before auto pistols became the norm... now it might be more like 30 rounds, 3 yards, 3 seconds?

Do I feel under gunned? YES, but then again, i feel under gunned with a 20 round mag in my scoped AR-15 because the 30's are too tall to shoot out of the blind, or when bird hunting with just 3 rounds instead of 5...so take that for what it is worth.

Someone talked about probabilities... If i were playing the numbers game as it really is, all I would ever carry is a snubbie, and have the 870 at home because there is a 1 in ten million chance that someone will try to kill me. But, knowing that stuff happens, I carry a G30 with 230+p HST, and a S&W 642 with Rem. .38 +P 158 LSWC, and have a RRA middy A2 in the truck with 2 30 round mags cinched together loaded with 75grn TAP, and I keep every single gun that i own loaded and ready to go (even a #7 shot in the .410)

Really, a snubbie is great for family gatherings, church, walking the dog and other "condition yellow" activities.
AJSully421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 20:56   #47
DonB

Would any of you trade your snub for the new 380 LCP by Ruger?
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 21:07   #48
AJSully421
Armed Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post

Negative
AJSully421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 21:15   #49
sphillips45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post

No!!!!
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom
J-Frame Snubbie Club # 442/The 21 Club # 0024/Sub Club # 226
sphillips45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 21:21   #50
Quarterbore

I have a really CHEAP Tarus M85, well actually it is my wife's gun and it shoots every bit as accuratley as my Glocks and perhaps even better even with the short barrel and primative sights. I prefer to have more gun on me but there are times when I carry the little revolver instead of something bigger and I have never woried about not having enough gun on me.

If I am ever going into a situation where I feal I need more gun, I will have either the Glock 21 on me and the hell with my normal G19 CCW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Glock 26, Glock 19, Glock 17, Glock 20, Glock 21
Quarterbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 22:10   #51
glockess56
CLM Number 295
Charter Lifetime Member

Would I trade my snubby for Ruger LCP? No, but I would like to have the LCP to add to my gun collection.
glockess56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 22:19   #52
Dobber

I carry a snub when I'm running down the street or walking the dog but I feel better when I'm carring my G26. I hope I never need it but if I do I would much rather have 13 rds of +p 9mm over 5 rds of +p 38. That said I will always have a j frame.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49   #53
prairieviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
"Here lies McGruff
Thought five was enough
If he'd had eleven
He wouldn't be in heaven."

At least as good an epitaph as " I probably won't need more firepower, statistically".

Glock 26 or snub against a group of three or more, assuming that you miss with a round or two under stress (as is extremely likely, especially in light of the tiny sights, heavy trigger and short barrel of a snub)?

Clever little poem but doesn't really mean anything. Catchy phrases and quotes abound on the internet, particularly on gun forums. Have you heard the one that goes something like "If you can't get the job done with the first six rounds what makes you think you will fair any better with the next six?" Of course, everyone has heard of Chicken Little and that famous line, "The sky is falling, the sky is faling." I could go on but you get the drift. Threat assessments, comfort zones and a lot of other factors come into play regarding what one should carry to protect themselves. What is right for you may be completely wrong for someone else.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55   #54
sourdough44

We have been watching to many movies with the 50 round shootouts.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 19:21   #55
Chup

If you get attacked by three guys. Do you really think you can take out three be for one of them will take you out? Maybe if you had an A.K. Full Auto. If a group came after me I will be getting behind cover and then Two Revolvers and 20rnds. of Reloads should do it.
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43   #56
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chup View Post
If you get attacked by three guys. Do you really think you can take out three be for one of them will take you out? Maybe if you had an A.K. Full Auto. If a group came after me I will be getting behind cover and then Two Revolvers and 20rnds. of Reloads should do it.
As a matter of fact, yes, I do. I will be carrying a gun - not all of them may be. I have been extensively trained and am an experienced firearms/close combat instructor - I doubt they are. I practice a lot - not all of them do, most probably. I will seize the initiative - denying it to them. I will seek and use cover - unless they have been well-trained (an unlikely probability), they may very well not.

But none of that will matter if I run out of ammo after 5 rounds. "If you can't get the job done with the first six, what makes you think you will "fair" (sic) any better with the next 6?" It was a 7-10 round job, that's what.

Is carrying two wheelguns really better than carrying one good hi-cap semiauto? And if you think you will be reloading 20 rounds into a snub or two, you are the one who is dreaming. Good luck with that.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean that anyone else can't. Train a little - you will be surprised to learn what can be done - with the proper tools.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes

Last edited by Gunboat1; 03-15-2008 at 10:02..
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:59   #57
Dean

A friend wrote:
As a matter of fact, yes, I do. I will be carrying a gun - not all of them may be. I have been extensively trained and am an experienced firearms/close combat instructor - I doubt they are. I practice a lot - not all of them do, most probably. I will seize the initiative - denying it to them. I will seek and use cover - unless they have been well-trained (an unlikely probability), they may very well not.

+1
With a large bore semiautomatic pistol with a Crimson Trace laser, I'm well armed. I can take on violent criminals without hesitation with that type of weapon. A Glock 23. A Sig P226, or a Beretta 92. Duty pistols are "better" to fight with than BUGS.

With a snub I'm less well armed. It's a BUG or hideout gun. Crimson Trace lasergrips are essential on the snub for me, just as they are on the Walther PPK/S.
I can't see the stock sights on those weapons if I'm in a hurry/moving. I can barely see the front sight of those weapons standing still.

Last edited by Dean; 03-15-2008 at 11:17..
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 22:44   #58
just for fun

Without starting the old Ford VS chevy wars. I see no reason to carry more firearm than a snubbie. Still got a kimber pro carry and after lugging that around all day it really became a pain in the hip! Glocks do not even enter the picture. you want and carry one? fine! I don't and won't. nuf said about that. They do make fun range guns!(if that counts) Out of all my auto's the only one I might consider is a Smith model 39-2!! Built in 1975. Got a thing for that Smith, but she too is on the bulky side.So after yrs of carrying this or that I come full circle and back to my model 36 J frame. First gun I bought back in 68! Saved for months to come up with the layway money! Oh yea $68 new!!!
just for fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:58   #59
KYMike
9mm Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
This isn't personal, just an observation, but I would expect more from a tactical instructor. Underestimating your opponent is the surest way to lose a battle...and fast.

The arrogance shown in your post indicates you're living in a dream world. In a perfect world, maybe only some of your opponents will be armed, maybe you'll be better trained, maybe you'll have the first shot, and maybe you'll find cover. Then again, in a perfect world, you wouldn't be attacked in the first place. Statistically, armed robbers, carjackers, rapists, and kidnappers are more likely to have experience robbing, carjacking, raping, and kidnapping than a victim is to have experience defending themselves against such attacks, and experience is the best training.

So you need to plan on all of them being armed (better than you are), they'll have better skills, they'll get the drop on you, and they'll have cover and you won't. Plan for that, and you'll be all the more prepared when you do have cover and you do see them coming, but never assume, never get complacent, never think you're better than your opponent in any aspect. Respect wins battles, arrogance loses lives.

Short answer to the OP, yes, I feel undergunned with the snub, as I feel undergunned with ANY handgun. Do I carry the snub anyway...sure, lots of times. Only you can prevent forest fires, and only you can decide how much is enough to protect your family.

Niners Club- #0101, 1911 Club- #0101,
GT Ham Shack- #101, Snubbie Club- #101

Last edited by KYMike; 03-16-2008 at 09:25..
KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 14:29   #60
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMike View Post
This isn't personal, just an observation, but I would expect more from a tactical instructor. Underestimating your opponent is the surest way to lose a battle...and fast.

The arrogance shown in your post indicates you're living in a dream world. In a perfect world, maybe only some of your opponents will be armed, maybe you'll be better trained, maybe you'll have the first shot, and maybe you'll find cover. Then again, in a perfect world, you wouldn't be attacked in the first place. Statistically, armed robbers, carjackers, rapists, and kidnappers are more likely to have experience robbing, carjacking, raping, and kidnapping than a victim is to have experience defending themselves against such attacks, and experience is the best training.

So you need to plan on all of them being armed (better than you are), they'll have better skills, they'll get the drop on you, and they'll have cover and you won't. Plan for that, and you'll be all the more prepared when you do have cover and you do see them coming, but never assume, never get complacent, never think you're better than your opponent in any aspect. Respect wins battles, arrogance loses lives.

Short answer to the OP, yes, I feel undergunned with the snub, as I feel undergunned with ANY handgun. Do I carry the snub anyway...sure, lots of times. Only you can prevent forest fires, and only you can decide how much is enough to protect your family.
You're entitled to your opinion. How one trains and prepares for a fight we hope will never come does not equal a dispassionate analysis of the overwhelming majority of criminals and criminal assaults. Show me an example of where several thugs have trained together, armed themselves in overwhelming firepower and complementary systems, and then have performed during a fight like a tactical team would. It simply doesn't happen much. North Hollywood is about the only example I can think of, and that was pretty much unique. And they weren't mugging an individual - they were robbing a bank. Newhall, Miami, hell even Columbine don't apply. And most criminals' experience has been with UNARMED, UNTRAINED victims. That doesn't prepare them to win against a warrior.

The question was, is it reasonable to believe that one man can overcome three. My response is, unequivocally, yes, as long as their training, equipment and spirit are up to the task. That ain't arrogance - it's simple fact. History is replete with examples of when it has happened. So much for your "dream world" assertion.

And yes, I agree - one is undergunned carrying only a snub. That was the point.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes

Last edited by Gunboat1; 03-16-2008 at 14:48..
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote