Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-26-2008, 14:59   #251
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I had two different situations that made me go get my concealed carry license. In The first situation, i was waiting with some friends in a Marta station in Atlanta after a game. About five twenty-something black thug dressed men came down an escalator, and started dancing around a single man holding a brief case, obviously waiting for the train after work. One of the young thugs finally gave him a good straight right to the face, totally unprovoked. Then when everybody started yelling and heading to the aid of the business man, the five cowards ran up the down moving escalator. It was a good ten minutes before on lone woman cop came running asking which way they had gone.

The second situation happened at a waffle house in a suburban setting-not a bad area. Everybody was eating and quiet when up rolls 7 cars full of thug looking young guys, complete with seriously loud music, sagging pants and more chains than huggy bear. they came in, walking up and down the isles, talking loud and daring anyone to say something. Some of them started banging on the windows, and shouting obscenities. The police were then called. I immediately told my then wife to get up and meet me at the cashier, we were leaving. They had crowded around the front door, and they did not move out of the way. Then when i got through them, and got to the car, i tried to back up and the good citizens proceeded to block me with their car.. I kept a cool head, and waited for them about 15 minutes to get out of the way. The police never did show up, as i drove off feeling lucky there was no confrontation. These are situations that i would have felt a lot better in being armed. I could not, and would not have pulled a weapon in these situations, unless it got clearly out of control and deadly, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it could have easily headed in that direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 15:41   #252
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbite View Post
I had two different situations that made me go get my concealed carry license. In The first situation, i was waiting with some friends in a Marta station in Atlanta after a game. About five twenty-something black thug dressed men came down an escalator, and started dancing around a single man holding a brief case, obviously waiting for the train after work. One of the young thugs finally gave him a good straight right to the face, totally unprovoked. Then when everybody started yelling and heading to the aid of the business man, the five cowards ran up the down moving escalator. It was a good ten minutes before on lone woman cop came running asking which way they had gone.

The second situation happened at a waffle house in a suburban setting-not a bad area. Everybody was eating and quiet when up rolls 7 cars full of thug looking young guys, complete with seriously loud music, sagging pants and more chains than huggy bear. they came in, walking up and down the isles, talking loud and daring anyone to say something. Some of them started banging on the windows, and shouting obscenities. The police were then called. I immediately told my then wife to get up and meet me at the cashier, we were leaving. They had crowded around the front door, and they did not move out of the way. Then when i got through them, and got to the car, i tried to back up and the good citizens proceeded to block me with their car.. I kept a cool head, and waited for them about 15 minutes to get out of the way. The police never did show up, as i drove off feeling lucky there was no confrontation. These are situations that i would have felt a lot better in being armed. I could not, and would not have pulled a weapon in these situations, unless it got clearly out of control and deadly, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it could have easily headed in that direction.
And now you know exactly why I carry a subcompact glock with two full size reloads: all of the situations I've felt screwed and in desperate need of a gun has involved a small or large group of people. I can't imagine carrying some 5 shot snub!
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 17:51   #253
Huson

My motivation for getting a CCW was living in a hurricane prone area. I thought it would be nice to legally carry in an evacuation type of situation. My decision to frequently carry was made when I went into a Winn Dixie and in the store were three different groups of thugs and none of them were connected to each other. In the store were three discrete groups of young men who looked like gangsters. This was at seven o’clock at night. A light went off in my head and after that, I usually carried after dark.
Huson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 23:04   #254
xxKylexx
No Skills

Bad Guys are Out There

I am new to this forum. I want to say "Hi" and tell you how grateful I am to have a place to read about firearms and such. Anyways, I have read all 253 posts and really enjoyed the stories. I think that I need to tell mine though.

When I was 18 I lived in a party house with 4 other friends in Muncie IN. On a usual weekend night, we had a party with kegs and probably 30 people in my house. Late in the night, a friend of mine came in all beat up. I'm talking broken nose, ribs, he just looked like hell. We tried to get as much info out of him as we could but he wouldn't talk. All he would say was he got jumped in the side of our yard by a couple of guys. An hour or so later I had 7 to 8 guys in my house brandishing handguns. They were gang members looking for my "beat up" friend. Apparently my friend was not on the losing end of his fight. Luckily a girl from our party ran out and waved down a police car (we were on BSU campus); the police showed up within minutes and the gangstas ran off after hearing all the sirens. I have never felt so helpless in my life. When it all happened I was in my kitchen with a couple of friends just chillin at the keg. One of the invaders came in the kitchen waiving his gun in our faces. We wanted to wrestle the gun out of the dude's hand and beat the living piss out of him, but we were afraid of someone getting hurt (not the gangsta). If you're wondering if we pressed charges or not, We didn't. We were all underage and with all the kegs in our house, we ran too!

Fast forward 10 years. After serving 8 years in the USAF (OEF Vet) and meeting my wife (who is also military) I was stationed in Florida at Hurlburt Field. Immediatly after Katrina I bought my Glock 19 (same reason as many others). No CCW though. Now we are stationed in New Mexico. I have been honarably discharged from the AF and now I'm a Sociology major at ENMU. So its my job to find out about society and stuff. Down to the nitty-gritty! I am going to the CCW class Mar 8&9 because in my research I found out that 1 in 166 people in my area are the victim of a violent crime. I've also talked my wife into getting an AR-15, which is perfect cause she and I already know how to field strip the weapon and shoot it effectivly. It just sucks cause if I did all of this (CCW) while still active duty, I wouldn't have to take the class; which would save me $100

Thanks for reading, you guys/gals seem like a good bunch.
xxKylexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 22:06   #255
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

This is an awesome thread. Thank you for starting it, whoever that was.

I've noticed a lot of comments answering the subject question with something like "Because I live in [XYZ City/State], that's why," or "Because I can," which is OK but sorta misses the point. I think some folks have confused this thread with a "Why do you CCW?" type thread.

If any of you have done that but actually did have a Defining Moment at some time, I invite you to Edit that into your original post. I don't know about you, but I've used anecdotes from this thread in conversations with others on numerous occasions.

So keep 'em coming!
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 19:07   #256
GSR603817

I had my CCW last June of 2007. A year before that i was awakened by the phone early in the morning and the hardest news id ever had. My wife got jump in the parking garage on her way to work. She was on her way to the hospital. She fought the attacker inside her car and ended up getting beat up. The guy was captured after 3 days. It was hard for me seeing her and to hold my emotion and tears for a long time. The individual was convicted and sentenced 6 years. We both work now on the same shift and carpool. He got denied 2x already for parole since then. I thank all of our relatives & friends that help us go through those hard times. I thank God for giving her strength at that moment. As for me I no longer think of revenge. Time heals...

Last edited by GSR603817; 03-07-2008 at 19:10..
GSR603817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:41   #257
Darkangel1846

Later 80s, Norfolk Va. High number of car jackings where the driver was killed. Surgical Resident at Norfolk Gen was car jacked in the hospital parking ramp, raped, beaten within a inch of her life and left for dead.
Last, a poor women car jacked, killed and left in the trunk of her car parked along the freeway. I drove past that car several times over three days, even wondered why it hadn't been towed. I started carring my 1911 that day.
a few weeks later it saved my life. Been carring every since.
Old 03-08-2008, 17:49   #258
grishnav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel1846 View Post
I started carring my 1911 that day.
a few weeks later it saved my life. Been carring every since.
Do tell! (If you can.)

Real life Defensive use of Firearm stories are my favorite, and I'm sure nobody else would mind hearing (even if slightly off topic for the thread).
Old 03-08-2008, 18:38   #259
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnav View Post
Do tell! (If you can.)

Real life Defensive use of Firearm stories are my favorite, and I'm sure nobody else would mind hearing (even if slightly off topic for the thread).
I agree -- share if you can/wish, Darkangel1846. Off topic or not, you can't just allude to something like that and leave us twisting in the wind!
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 13:34   #260
.45Reloader

.A CCW eliminates any interpretation by an officer on whether you are carrying your gun legally in a vehicle. $50 well spent.
Old 03-11-2008, 20:59   #261
sasq
Free Cascadia

A few things happened to convince me:
-My state became shall issue.
-I started reading about how my state may change the law.
-I joined the local gun rights organization and the NRA to help protect the shall issue laws.
-There were many CCW classes offered in my area.
-The Brady bill/laws ended and I was worried that they would come back and I would miss my chance.

So I took the training, bought some Glocks and a large number of the 33 rd mags (worried that the Brady laws might come back)
Joined GT took more training and started to really enjoy going to the range.
-------------------------------------
Now my wife's moment was different.
She shared my enjoyment of the range and we shared the Glocks and a ruger 22/45, but she traveled on a lonely highway once and was frightened by a potential stalker.
She returned from the trip, took a CCW class, got her own sub compact- G36 (she likes the single stack) and her own ruger 22/45. We still share the 17L and G21. I do catch her looking at single stack 1911s - uh ooh- lol

She actually came home this week with the Guns and Ammo mag with the Kimber SIS on the cover... (hummmm..)
We actually held one at our range/shop later on this week.
sasq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:57   #262
T-Rex

In 1993, there were 2 students killed at the college I was attending. They lived a few buildings down. No signs of forced entry, no witnesses, and it was done in the middle of the night. The guy was killed downstairs, and the girl was killed upstairs....both shot in the back of the head.

A few months after that, I was at home with my then girlfriend and someone entered my apartment....with a key, no forced entry and proceded to come upstairs to tell me that my stereo was up too loud. I didnt open my bedroom door waited for him to leave....and he left. I made a report to campus police and heard nothing else about it.

The very next day, I went and purchased my very first G22 (still have it) and got a CCW. And have been pretty much carrying every since!
G29 aka Baby Sweet
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 20:14   #263
1canvas

grandson killed in a violent attack. the aftermath of the murder was unbeliveable. he was an inocent child. the effects on my family was unbearable. you just replay the attack over and over in your head. my point is i will do all i can to survive an attack, even if i have to defend myself with a gun, i will, and so will my family. i owe it to my family, and my family owes it to me to survive an attack[we all carry]. so don't be lazy and carry, you owe it to your loved ones.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 16:12   #264
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
grandson killed in a violent attack. the aftermath of the murder was unbeliveable. he was an inocent child. the effects on my family was unbearable. you just replay the attack over and over in your head. my point is i will do all i can to survive an attack, even if i have to defend myself with a gun, i will, and so will my family. i owe it to my family, and my family owes it to me to survive an attack[we all carry]. so don't be lazy and carry, you owe it to your loved ones.
I am very sorry to hear of your grandson; a good friend up here lost a daughter to a whacko a few years ago on her graduation night from law school, on being called to the bar as they say. On the stairs to her walkup apartment. I know things would have resulted completely differently had she been permitted to protect herself but she did not even have that option up here north of the 49th. Not only did it end a beautiful young life and career, it adversely affected dozens of friends and relatives and snuffed out the life of both parents as I have not seen a smile from either of them in ten years since it happened.

You are right, of course. If you have the privilege of protecting yourself and your loved ones you must do so as to do anything else is unforgivable should anything happen.

I have promised myself that I will carry whenever and wherever I am able (south of the border in the USA). I have been at the receiving end of two home invasions (one successful, the other not... the bg's taken down at gunpoint while they were still trying to pry open the FRONT door to our home, oblivious to the sirens and flashing lights). And at the receiving end of the largest revolver I have ever seen in my life, pointed right at my nose, by a whacko who did not like the way I was driving nor the fact that I had Ontario plates on the van. I left him choking on my dust as I floored the gas pedal to the metal and ducked for cover. He was too stoned to pull the trigger fortunately. I will never ever ever be in a position of not being able to protect myself or my family again as long as I am able to do so legally. And you are dead right... it is a privilege that every US citizen should exercise. It was the SECOND amendment.... it was well thought out, with a finite purpose, and we should take advantage of that right or lose it.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 16:32   #265
Yellowfin

For me it kind of evolved. At first I was thinking of carrying a sidearm with me while turkey hunting and bowhunting early in case of snakes. Then VT happened and my lady also got transferred out to CA for her job training and I started thinking about human threats much more seriously. Then I proposed to her and realized that I am now responsible for her well being and mine for both our sake and our families'. So I sent a rifle with her to keep for home defense, knowing that preserving her safety from harmful people is paramount. It then dawned on me that I should be no less safe in my everyday life. Further I came to the understanding that unarmed citizens are the petri dish on which the germ of criminality thrives, and that being an armed resistant to murder and robbery is a civic duty to make the world less safe for criminals and thus more safe for my fellow good people.

With those ideas in mind, daily carry is simply an inescapable and undeniable responsibility. If you have ANYONE who cares about you it is your responsibility to them to carry. PERIOD. No arguement possible. Do it.
Yellowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 16:44   #266
Oneiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
It then dawned on me that I should be no less safe in my everyday life. Further I came to the understanding that unarmed citizens are the petri dish on which the germ of criminality thrives, and that being an armed resistant to murder and robbery is a civic duty to make the world less safe for criminals and thus more safe for my fellow good people.

With those ideas in mind, daily carry is simply an inescapable and undeniable responsibility. If you have ANYONE who cares about you it is your responsibility to them to carry. PERIOD. No arguement possible. Do it.

Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 16:51   #267
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
For me it kind of evolved. At first I was thinking of carrying a sidearm with me while turkey hunting and bowhunting early in case of snakes. Then VT happened and my lady also got transferred out to CA for her job training and I started thinking about human threats much more seriously. Then I proposed to her and realized that I am now responsible for her well being and mine for both our sake and our families'. So I sent a rifle with her to keep for home defense, knowing that preserving her safety from harmful people is paramount. It then dawned on me that I should be no less safe in my everyday life. Further I came to the understanding that unarmed citizens are the petri dish on which the germ of criminality thrives, and that being an armed resistant to murder and robbery is a civic duty to make the world less safe for criminals and thus more safe for my fellow good people.

I'll repeat it again...

Good Words.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:09   #268
philly b

Quote:
Originally Posted by passive101 View Post
My moment was while I still lived in WI. I'm not going to go into the details here, but since that day I always carried. You can draw your own conclusions.
no fun passive, no fun... i expected more from you lol
Old 03-20-2008, 04:40   #269
fofinger
NRA Member

too old to run and too slow to fight.....

Gun laws are laws against self-defense.....
fofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 13:05   #270
marcernst

i am in the process of getting a handgun & ccw. my wife asked me to get a handgun this year. too much going down crime wise in our fair community to not carry. friend's home was broken into and their teen daughter kidnapped & assulted near us. there is a "thug state Univ" near my workplace (one of their students recently killed a cop for no reason). a hs kid was kidnapped(shots fired) & robbed after a ballgame here by some thugs. nothing has happened to me personally, except a couple recent tailgating incidents by some thugs, but why wait.....
marcernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 13:27   #271
Torontogunguy

It really tends to make one believe that 'an armed society is a polite society' as stated by one of our founding fathers. And the simple threat of catastrophic retaliation for aggressive and violent assault is aggressive and violent self defence; IMHO that in itself tends to reduce the amount of BG's thinking about doing bad things.

We thought we heard footsteps in the basement yesterday night. I can assure you that the fact that we were on the top landing, up two flights of stairs, and well protected, gave us a great amount of peace of mind. I did not sleep last night. But I also did not sit cowering in the corner or locked into a 'hardened room' praying for peace either. I was prepared to do WHATEVER was necessary the moment I discovered that my home had been violated. And IMHO it is just exactly that which is necessary in order to put and end to this craziness that surrounds us and pervades our present society as being the norm. Let the bad guys be the ones who are afraid for their very lives. Make no mistake whatsoever that the fear of catastrophic penalties for aggressive behavious will put a rapid stop to the unacceptable social habits we are having forced upon us. Either through psychological shaping or through genetic shaping. Either way is fine by me. I have had two (make that three) home invasions or attempts at home invasion in recent years and one occasion of having a very large caliber revolver stuck in my nose, literally. I am fed up and not prepared to take it any longer. Are you a sheeple? Be my guest... if you would be so kind as to forward to me your name and address I would be more than pleased to post it on my front door and let's just see what takes places lickety split, huh? I'll wager I know where the BG's head. Eventually, one way or another, the gene pool will get adjusted accordingly until the decent folk find themselves at peace and on top, don't you think?
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 15:21   #272
WayOutWest

Me and a few friends were robbed at gun point one night in front of my friends house in a gated community. I realized safety isn't something someone else can provide you, even if they are responsible. I legitimately thought I was either going to watch my friends die that night, I was going to die, or at least one of us was going to get shot.

After that, around a year or so later, I was reading about the Washington Mall shooting and realized that the only way I could know for a fact that I had done everything to protect my family, myself, and/or the people around me in the event a situation such as these arose (again, in the case of the robbery) was to learn, train, and carry a firearm.
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 00:50   #273
philly b

for me, it is many factors. I live in a very "safe" neighborhood... but simply read the newspaper and the next shooting you come across the police will be amazed that it took place in such a "safe" neighborhood.

A few months back, my aunt passed away from cancer. when driving to her funeral, my uncle's brother was shot and killed while reading his newspaper on a saturday morning in front of his porch. he was simply sitting outside reading the paper and drinking coffee when some gangbanger shot and killed him for no reason. his family and neighbors didnt notice he was dead until hours after the incident. he was survived by two sons, his wife, and his daughter.

this really made me realize that no matter how wealthy or how good of a neighborhood you live in, you must always be responsible for your own self defense. the things my uncles brother's family is having to go through right now is truly terrible, with all of the people in court and our flawed justice system, i would not wish it on anyone. we must do whatever is possible to prevent such a thing from occuring.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:47   #274
Agent X-1

Civic duty. Plain and simple.
Agent X-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:51   #275
Agent X-1

And BTW here's a patriotic piece from Nathaniel Hawthorne, the author of The Scarlet Letter. Worth reading:

http://www.online-literature.com/hawthorne/137/

Last edited by Agent X-1; 03-22-2008 at 09:53..
Agent X-1 is offline   Reply With Quote