Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:57   #1
James Markov

Rimfire home defense

Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:34   #2
GixxerSixxer
Phil Deez Nutz

My GF uses Stingers in her P-22. I've tried and tried to transition her to at least a .380 acp but the recoil scares her.

Conversely, she'll go trap shooting with me and handles 50 rounds of 12 ga just fine but I can't get her to switch to a 18" 870 for home defense. I just can't get the logic through to her .
GixxerSixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 14:07   #3
TheLastDaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerSixxer View Post
My GF uses Stingers in her P-22. I've tried and tried to transition her to at least a .380 acp but the recoil scares her.

Conversely, she'll go trap shooting with me and handles 50 rounds of 12 ga just fine but I can't get her to switch to a 18" 870 for home defense. I just can't get the logic through to her .
Dump her

Ninja Glock, future infrared scope/accessoriesSPF
2 Turtle Doves SOLD!

TheLastDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:17   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

My GF housesitted for a family in the county area a while back. I gave her a "safety pack" including a Surefire light and a Ruger MKI loaded with stinger .22's

She is a very good shot with the MKI and would refuse to take anything else. I would rather her put 10 stinger into someone then nothing.

Not my choice for a primary HD weapon, but better than nothing.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 13:36   #5
Bill Keith

Many years ago I had a Beretta model 70 22LR, and used it for home defense because it was the only gun I had. I kept it loaded with Stingers and was a good shot with it. The gun was foolishly sold and I miss it. It held 8 rounds in the mag and looked like a small model 92.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976746181.htm

Last edited by Bill Keith; 11-25-2006 at 13:38..
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 19:48   #6
LOOGIE1

this is what i use for home defence its the only pistol i have its a bereta neos .22. i dont want to kill someone just want to let them know they are not welcome and if 10 shots wont do that they are going to get the best of me anyway i use federal copper jacketd hollow point
Rimfire Forum
Old 10-04-2009, 16:06   #7
Scamp
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOGIE1 View Post
Rimfire Forum
Thats a sweet gun right there, what kind of scope is that?
Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:31   #8
AA#5

Quote:
this is what i use for home defence its the only pistol i have its a bereta neos .22. i dont want to kill someone just want to let them know they are not welcome and if 10 shots wont do that they are going to get the best of me anyway i use federal copper jacketd hollow point
Rimfire Forum
Great choice! Ya never know when a large rat might attack you.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:46   #9
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
Great choice! Ya never know when a large rat might attack you.
He said it's all he has, and it is what he will use if necessary.
Large rat, huh? Go ahead and take a pair of .22 lr to the chest from that Neos you are goofing on! Not me!

LOOGIE1-- Just take caution when making the choice to defend your home, but in the same breath say that you "don't wanna kill somebody" but rather, use the gun to send a message that they are "not welcome". Bad idea. If you make the choice to defend yourself using a (hand)gun- That's deadly force- and be prepared to follow through with it, and ensure you are justified. If you pull out a gun to "send a message", then it will likely end up being used on YOU.

Peace.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:53   #10
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
He said it's all he has, and it is what he will use if necessary.
Large rat, huh? Go ahead and take a pair of .22 lr to the chest from that Neos you are goofing on! Not me!

LOOGIE1-- Just take caution when making the choice to defend your home, but in the same breath say that you "don't wanna kill somebody" but rather, use the gun to send a message that they are "not welcome". Bad idea. If you make the choice to defend yourself using a (hand)gun- That's deadly force- and be prepared to follow through with it, and ensure you are justified. If you pull out a gun to "send a message", then it will likely end up being used on YOU.

Peace.

Excellent post!

There was a time when the only firearm I had with which to defend hearth and home was a S&W 63 .22LR kit gun. It wasn't an optimum choice, but if called upon in dire need, I would have used it without compunction.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:05   #11
Scouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post

Excellent post!

There was a time when the only firearm I had with which to defend hearth and home was a S&W 63 .22LR kit gun. It wasn't an optimum choice, but if called upon in dire need, I would have used it without compunction.

The only handgun I see in my hand with .22 Rimfire in it, the S&W 63, the curse of .22 LR, it can misfire, with the Revolver, press the trigger again!

I remember well the test from a .22LR scoped rifle, 250 yds, right through a Turkey, and the frozen bag of guts in side of it! Translate that to 5 yds, and 3 in the sternum!

The only reason to point a gun at an attacker? To kill them! That is the only reason you can shoot some one, they are going to kill you! Or some other innocent person. You believe this is so, as a reasonable person, you shoot them, a lot! Many years ago I was stabbed on two separate occasions, in defending myself, and prevailed, (just with hands and feet) now I carry, but do not even frequent the type of Clubs I worked in then.

If you are real close, the face is your bulls eye.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:20   #12
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
.. i dont want to kill someone just want to let them know they are not welcome...
Shooting someone, even with a .22lr, carries the risk of killing them.

Shooting someone just to let them know they are not welcome is a great way to end up in jail.
Old 11-26-2006, 13:07   #13
sharpshooter

You could just use your voice to tell them their not welcome... The way I see things, if someone enters my home, I have to assume they intend to harm me or my family. Quite often that means the intruder must be killed or seriously injured very quickly. If your house is like most people's houses, an encounter with a home intruder will most likely occur within 10-15 feet or less since most rooms are that size or smaller. You're really gonna wish you had something bigger than a 22.

An intruder climbed up the exterior wall of our place and entered thru the second story bedroom window. When I awoke to my wife's screams, the intruder was within arm's reach of me. I dove off the bed and grabbed my 40 cal Glock. The intruder jumped back out the window. I had my sights on him for a split second as he lept out the window but I did not fire. Believe me, you don't want a 22 in a situation like that.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 19:25   #14
Iflyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
You could just use your voice to tell them their not welcome... The way I see things, if someone enters my home, I have to assume they intend to harm me or my family. Quite often that means the intruder must be killed or seriously injured very quickly. If your house is like most people's houses, an encounter with a home intruder will most likely occur within 10-15 feet or less since most rooms are that size or smaller. You're really gonna wish you had something bigger than a 22.

An intruder climbed up the exterior wall of our place and entered thru the second story bedroom window. When I awoke to my wife's screams, the intruder was within arm's reach of me. I dove off the bed and grabbed my 40 cal Glock. The intruder jumped back out the window. I had my sights on him for a split second as he lept out the window but I did not fire. Believe me, you don't want a 22 in a situation like that.

Why is a 22 no good in this situation? Did the BG see it was a 40 rather than a 22? If the BG sees a gun he/she will probably move out (like yours did). Caliber in your situation did not make a difference.
I agree that a lager round if actually fired, and a hit is actually made, is generally better than a smaller round. However, if some one is afraid of using a larger gun, a 22 that they are comfortable with and willing to use is perfect. Far better than a larger gun they cannot or will not use.
Old 11-26-2006, 13:13   #15
failsafe

Not for home defense...I carry my Walther P22 in the summer, when I am walking around the neighborhood, just to keep the unwanted loose dog attack from happening....
Old 11-03-2009, 14:43   #16
sigsauermaniac

no. at least,not as MAIN,but i keep my ruger 22-45 beside my G22 in my fast access vault under the bed LOADED with the trigger safety on.

racoons or varmints scratching my backdoor will get a pea as welcome gift.

Rimfire Forum
4-sp01 shadow:thumbsup:
sigsauermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 13:41   #17
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauermaniac View Post
no. at least,not as MAIN,but i keep my ruger 22-45 beside my G22 in my fast access vault under the bed LOADED with the trigger safety on.

racoons or varmints scratching my backdoor will get a pea as welcome gift.

Rimfire Forum
Is that the 22/45 slabside with the 3 dot fixed sights???
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 19:12   #18
sigsauermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
Is that the 22/45 slabside with the 3 dot fixed sights???

yes. it's near brand new, i use my target stainless bull barrel 5.5 at the range most of the time.
4-sp01 shadow:thumbsup:
sigsauermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 16:19   #19
LOOGIE1

as i said above its the only pistol i own i dont think a hk-91 or a romak-3 would fit in my night stand so something is better than nada right. Send me the cash and i would gladly get a glock for now the .22 will have to do plus who out there has ever shot an intruder. not saying it has never happend but they will usuly take off at the sound of some one being home
Old 11-26-2006, 22:40   #20
vafish

Re: Rimfire home defense

Quote:
Originally posted by James Markov
Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use?
Not now, but I have on a couple of occasions in the past.

First occasion was when I was first married, my wife didn't like shooting any of my big handguns, but she loved my little Ruger Single Six. When I traveled out of town I'd put away the .357 magnum and bring out the SS with the .22 mag cylinder in it. I figured the wife was better off with a gun she could shoot well. She never had to test the stopping power theory of the .22 magnum.

Second occasion was when I was living overseas in a country that had a very dim view of self defense. They had prosecuted several people for murder that had used firearms to defend their homes. Firearms ownership was severly restricted, but I had a legally owned 15 shot .22 semi auto rifle that was equipped with a screw on suppressor (also legal). My home defense plan used the 3 S's (Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up) Never had to use it.

And not for home defense, but a long time ago, for a short period, my primary carry gun was an Iver Johnson TP22. I practice regulary drawing from my rear pocket and emptying the magazine of CCI Stingers as fast as I could into the head of the target. After a few months of that I started carrying bigger guns.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote