SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:27   #1
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Arguing with Idiots or What Happened To The Rule of Law

I have watched GT and other forums for some time and have noticed a very disturbing trend. People have become intolerant of opposing views.

More importantly, I see the nation starting to turn from a Nation of Laws to a Nation of Men. The rules and legalities seem to matter less and less as people want to migrate to a system of popular opinion.

Some examples of these are:

Zimmerman Trial
Venture Litigation
Immigration Enforcement
Gaza

It seems society as a whole is too lazy to implement changes in law, they just want to whine and argue about how the court of public opinion should work. The folks involved with this will not engage enough to affect direct change, they simply argue endlessly or worse, ignore law. Often this is done while overlooking a legal basis or an incorrect set of assumptions as they cast one party in the shadows of another.

All the while the fact is that laws stand, but some people are foolish enough to see them as non-binding.

To what extent will this go? At what point will society simply fail to respect others rights and "do what thou wilt"? This is just another step towards mob mentality and mob rule. And if it is, why are we at this point? What compels people to argue such petty issues and obfuscate law in an effort to make their voice heard?

Folks, I posit that those of you arguing endlessly about petty things should attempt to come together on issues that are of relevance to our nation. Division is killing our nation. Think about the time spent arguing about Chris Kyle, and how those energies could be channeled into efforts such as writing Congress about your immigration views, pro or con. Or perhaps working to lift up a fellow man rather than drag them down with name calling and casting dispersion's.

Has America fallen so low that all we can do is bicker among ourselves and lose track of what is really important?

Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Marcus Unrealious; 08-06-2014 at 09:28..
Marcus Unrealious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30   #2
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

What is important is crushing your enemies, hearing the Lamentations...

Because the enemy will do it to us if we nap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01   #3
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post

so your saying a preemptive attack is necessary?!

Marcus Aurelius
Old 08-06-2014, 23:16   #4
JuneyBooney

Quote:

That is very true.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34   #5
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Are you new to the internets?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:03   #6
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Are you new to the internets?

No sir, not at all. But the attitude of many seems to be developing into more aggressive stances.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 08-07-2014, 16:32   #7
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious View Post
No sir, not at all. But the attitude of many seems to be developing into more aggressive stances.
I agree that while the current situation is hardly new, it's the worst in my 60 years on this planet.
Never have so many been so lazy and stupid.
It is troubling. I think we're in big trouble and headed for much more.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 17:21   #8
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
I agree that while the current situation is hardly new, it's the worst in my 60 years on this planet.
Never have so many been so lazy and stupid.
It is troubling. I think we're in big trouble and headed for much more.
I agree, and I do not see things ending well for anyone unless we get together and change the nation.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 08-07-2014, 17:34   #9
Jack Ryan
One more day

Quote:
The less a person feels they have to lose, the quicker they will become aggressive and the more aggresive they will become.

People who feel they have worked ten years and have less than they started with are going to be more aggressive than people at the exact same place who feel they have more than they did.

People who feel LESS autonomous or that they are losing control of their own destiny are more apt to make more rash decisions.

All these situations are increasing and have been for at least a couple decades now.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 19:54   #10
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
The less a person feels they have to lose, the quicker they will become aggressive and the more aggresive they will become.

People who feel they have worked ten years and have less than they started with are going to be more aggressive than people at the exact same place who feel they have more than they did.

People who feel LESS autonomous or that they are losing control of their own destiny are more apt to make more rash decisions.

All these situations are increasing and have been for at least a couple decades now.
Great observation. We need to work to restore the rule of law and get Americans back on their feet. But without changing the politicians, that won't happen. Yet Cantor shows us it CAN.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 08-07-2014, 19:56   #11
Gator Monroe

Quote:
Great observation. We need to work to restore the rule of law and get Americans back on their feet. But without changing the politicians, that won't happen. Yet Cantor shows us it CAN.
When we can pry a Reed or Pelosi out of Office then I will believe we can .
Gator Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:47   #12
devildog2067

Quote:
More importantly, I see the nation starting to turn from a Nation of Laws to a Nation of Men. The rules and legalities seem to matter less and less as people want to migrate to a system of popular opinion.
I'm shocked that you think this is a new development.

Quote:
Some examples of these are:

Zimmerman Trial
Venture Litigation
Immigration Enforcement
Gaza
Some historical examples are:

Widespread lynching
Immigration Enforcement
Use of gun control legislation to disarm only blacks

Quote:
To what extent will this go? At what point will society simply fail to respect others rights and "do what thou wilt"?
Well, it's gone as far as riots and hanging people from lampposts quite a few times in the past.

Quote:
This is just another step towards mob mentality and mob rule. And if it is, why are we at this point?
Because people are idiots.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56   #13
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Oxbow Incident.
About mob mentality.

Or go back 5,000 years.
Same stuff DD.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:34   #14
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Oxbow Incident.
About mob mentality.

Or go back 5,000 years.
Same stuff DD.
SSDD has been around for a long time.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:00   #15
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
I'm shocked that you think this is a new development.

Because people are idiots.

Hey DD!

Its not that its a new trend, it is accelerating quickly however.

We as a nation worked hard to eliminate mob rule. But look around at the new wave of divisions being laid out. Administrations, both municipal and otherwise sidestepping the laws, officers in no win situations where use of force is common, demonstrations that are not peaceful, becoming more fervent and impassioned.

No, its not new but now it feels different. Its a little more edgy then the past decade.

And yes, people can be idiots. Thats why I think we shouldn't argue with them.

Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Marcus Unrealious; 08-06-2014 at 10:06..
Old 08-06-2014, 10:06   #16
devildog2067

Quote:
Hey DD!
Hiya.

Quote:
I really don't think so. I think that interpretation is blind to history.

Quote:
We as a nation worked hard to eliminate mob rule.
When? During the Red Scare? Peoples' lives were destroyed if someone even suspected that they might be Communists. It's hard to argue that HUAAC was anything other than mob rule. Emmet Till was murdered in 1955 and his killers walked free, despite overwhelming evidence that they were guilty. How is that anything other than "mob rule"?
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10   #17
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Hiya.

I really don't think so. I think that interpretation is blind to history.

When? During the Red Scare? Peoples' lives were destroyed if someone even suspected that they might be Communists. It's hard to argue that HUAAC was anything other than mob rule. Emmet Till was murdered in 1955 and his killers walked free, despite overwhelming evidence that they were guilty. How is that anything other than "mob rule"?
Your correct in that assertion, but look at the blacklist forming in Hollywood about gaza. Same situation. But people seem more virulent, more head clashing. And I am not contrasting this over a length of history, but rather over the past decade or two.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57   #18
Smithers

Quote:
Hey DD!

We as a nation worked hard to eliminate mob rule. But look around at the new wave of divisions being laid out. Administrations, both municipal and otherwise sidestepping the laws, officers in no win situations where use of force is common, demonstrations that are not peaceful, becoming more fervent and impassioned.

No, its not new but now it feels different. Its a little more edgy then the past decade.

And yes, people can be idiots. Thats why I think we shouldn't argue with them.
I agree, things are different. I'm 65, VN vet, etc. This is the first time in my life I watch what I say and actually fear my own government. The current government back up and also creates this madness.

America is much less America anymore.

Note to posters -

You can have your opinion and I have no problem with that. This one happens to be mine.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:05   #19
SC Tiger
Some say...

I think the issue isn't that the lack of tolerance is expanding, but that we now know more about it. Nothing major happens without being on the internet within 5 minutes. Unless the offender uses Chris Kyle's secret SEAL phone number, that is.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:08   #20
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
I think the issue isn't that the lack of tolerance is expanding, but that we now know more about it. Nothing major happens without being on the internet within 5 minutes. Unless the offender uses Chris Kyle's secret SEAL phone number, that is.

Thats very true, SC. But somehow it feels like it is different now, more lawless. Maybe you disagree.

Marcus Aurelius