Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2014, 23:24   #1
ysr_racer

What ever happened wth the CCW holder shot outside Costco in LV ?

I think his name was Erik Scott ?

Wasn't heal a SEAL or something?

Anybody remember this, it was a few years ago.
Old 02-16-2014, 23:36   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I think his name was Erik Scott ?

Wasn't heal a SEAL or something?

Anybody remember this, it was a few years ago.
He died as I recall..

You talking about the one who was shot by the police?
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42   #3
mixflip

This was years ago so my memory could be off a bit...

His autopsy showed he had some type of medication in him. I think he was an Annapolis graduate not a SEAL.

Costco had video tapes of the exact spot where he was but Costco conveniently said their surveillance system was down that day so there was no video.

I also heard he was ripping into packages and ignoring employees demands to leave the property. Someone saw one of his 2 holstered pistols as he was ripping into the products and called police. I don't know if a Costco employee reported it as brandishing a firearm?

Police make contact and give him orders to put his hands up. I heard he reached for his waistband (he did not reach for the sky) and shots were fired.

2 handguns were found on him. Why a seemingly normal well educated man was acting abnormal and agitated in the store and why a CCW permit holder did not automatically put his hands up...no one seems to know?

Life is stranger than fiction sometimes.

Just this last friday an unarmed man broke free from a police officer conducting a stop of a man who was harassing bicyclists out on a highway in the desert. The man ran to the patrol vehicle and grabbed for the AR15. He was told to stop...He didn't...and was shot dead.

Life is strange. There are people out there who do strange irrational things.

Last edited by mixflip; 02-17-2014 at 01:48..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33   #4
Patchman
Florist

I'm curious what happened to his girlfriend.

As you remember, Scott was a West Pointer and had been full of painkillers. So much pain killers in his system that a MD had declared anybody with less tolerance would be dead. His gf comes into play because she had (soon before the event) been fired from a MD's office for stealing prescription pads.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 02-17-2014 at 04:37..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04   #5
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
I'm curious what happened to his girlfriend.

As you remember, Scott was a West Pointer and had been full of painkillers. So much pain killers in his system that a MD had declared anybody with less tolerance would be dead. His gf comes into play because she had (soon before the event) been fired from a MD's office for stealing prescription pads.
I've seen people on painkillers do some pretty wild stuff. It seems at some point sanity heads on to the back seat and lets the fantasy world drive for a while.
I know a guy who drove down to walmart and parked his car. He walked in, got a cart, and went through the store picking out stuff he wanted. The just pushed the cart right out into the parking lot and went home with his stuff. His wife returned everything without a word exchanged.
He was on meds for serious back problems.(he has a history of problems with drugs) Next day, same thing. This time he went to jail.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07   #6
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
This was years ago so my memory could be off a bit...

His autopsy showed he had some type of medication in him. I think he was an Annapolis graduate not a SEAL.

Costco had video tapes of the exact spot where he was but Costco conveniently said their surveillance system was down that day so there was no video.

I also heard he was ripping into packages and ignoring employees demands to leave the property. Someone saw one of his 2 holstered pistols as he was ripping into the products and called police. I don't know if a Costco employee reported it as brandishing a firearm?

Police make contact and give him orders to put his hands up. I heard he reached for his waistband (he did not reach for the sky) and shots were fired.

2 handguns were found on him. Why a seemingly normal well educated man was acting abnormal and agitated in the store and why a CCW permit holder did not automatically put his hands up...no one seems to know?

Just this last friday an unarmed man broke free from a police officer conducting a stop of a man who was harassing bicyclists out on a highway in the desert. The man ran to the patrol vehicle and grabbed for the AR15. He was told to stop...He didn't...and was shot dead.

Life is strange. There are people out there who do strange irrational things.
Not sure how many people here are familiar with Bill Carnes of 2nd Amendment Radio (he was on season 1 of Top Shot as well).

He did a piece on this where he contended that Erik Scott was shot only because he was carrying in a Costco. He even played the tape of the police radio.

Personally I never heard anything that was incriminating. The camera being down is suspicious but hardly conclusive.

And for the record, if the account mixflip posted is accurate, I do not blame Costco for calling the police when a man is a) armed (legally or not) and b) destroying property despite being asked not to. I would not want one of my employees to confront someone like that and get shot.

<< Shops at Sam's but just because it is closer. I have heard (may have been by Carnes on the radio) that the LV (at least) Costco isn't very gun-friendly though.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 02-17-2014 at 08:50..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46   #7
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post

Agreed. The other one I wonder about is the homeowner that killed a masked invader in his neighbor's house, and it turned out to be his own son.

Anybody remember that one?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:18   #8
Patchman
Florist

Oh, the Scott family hired a lawyer to sue LVPD. Their lawyer is the son of LV's mayor. You can't get better odds than that anywhere in LV!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51   #9
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

It didn't go well for the family. Shooting was ruled justified; they sued. When the evidence started coming out, they dropped the suit, first against costco, then against the police.

http://m.lvsun.com/news/2012/mar/13/...tro-police-ov/
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Last edited by Sam Spade; 02-17-2014 at 08:53..
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28   #10
Ranger357
Just pixels

A lot of times people get very suspicious and come up with conspiracies when a story comes out and someones described actions makes no sense.

The problem is as a another thread describes, 70 million Americans are now on legal or illegal mind altering drugs, many that cause frequent or occasional erratic and/or bizarre behavior. Every day you can look at the news and see totally insane behavior by seemingly "normal" people.

Last edited by Ranger357; 02-17-2014 at 09:29..
Ranger357 is offline   Reply With Quote