SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:06   #1
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Odd Knowledge and Obscure Facts

I keep finding out things I never knew before. Some are interesting, some I wish I didn't know. Here is one, as an example.

Interesting
In ancient times, when being attacked by war elephants, pigs were used to break up the attack. The elephants were distressed by their squealing and so they would break formation and run.

Wish I didn't know
They also used flaming pigs as catapult loads, where the pigs on fire would be sent over the walls to start interior fires on the wooden structures.

What can you share with me to amaze and amuse?
Marcus Unrealious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:18   #2
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Before the days of paper money, Americans traded animal skins, including deer and elk bucks, for goods and services. Hence the word "buck" to describe money.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:31   #3
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

The Ka-Bar Knife (pronounced "KAY BAR"), revered combat knife of the United States Marine Corps got its name thanks to a testimonial letter sent to the company by a fur trapper in the 1920s. The trapper wrote, in very broken English, that he used a Union Cutlery knife to kill a wounded bear after his gun jammed. All that was legible of his scrawled writing was k a bar. So honored were corporate executives that they used the phrase as their trademark, Ka-Bar. In 1952, the Ka-Bar name had achieved such fame that the company changed its name to Ka-Bar Cutlery.

The television series Bonanza was created specifically to provide a product for RCA's new color TV sets.

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's how many tries it took Norm Larsen, a chemist, to concoct a formula that would prevent corrosion by displacing water.

Major George Welch (USAF) was the first pilot to break the sound barrier. Welch was the chief test pilot of the F-86 and completed the flight at Muroc AFB, California on October 1st, 1949. He went supersonic a second time on October 14th, about thirty minutes before Chuck Yeager flew the X-1 through the sound barrier. Yeager got credit for it because the capabilities of the F-86 were kept classified until just recently.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38   #4
Mass10mm
Armed Yankee

Reno, Nevada is further West than Los Angeles, CA.

If you were in Detroit, MI and started going south, the first foreign country you would encounter is….. Canada.

In order to take the Panama canal from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea, you sail in a generally West direction!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:39   #5
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

The term "The whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the Pacific.When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards."
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46   #6
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious View Post
The term "The whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the Pacific.When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards."
The phrase presumably pre-dates WW II.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 14:29   #7
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post

WP
Correct. Many uses of the phrase in the 1800s. Mostly from the textile industry.
Old 01-27-2014, 14:22   #8
whoflungdo

Quote:

WP

Yeah, I thought it was attributed to WWI pilots and their guns.

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 22:37   #9
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Well, were you wrong about this one?

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 00:35   #10
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

The word "salary" originates from Roman Legionnaires, who were originally paid in rations of salt. The "salarium" referred to the weekly distribution of salt to the troops by their Centurians.

Later on, Roman troops were paid in small gold coins or equivalent 5 gram shares of gold nuggets known as "solidus". From this form of payment comes the term "soldier".

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:11   #11
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Well, were you wrong about this one?

WP

This one is very subjective, that is true. The whole 9 yards could have originated with the the textile industry, as the finest suits required 9 yards of materials to keep the fabric weave running in the same direction. But the most common phrase that came from it was one being "dressed to the 9's" indicating a high level of quality.

But the term "whole 9 yards" itself is not really documented prior to WWII. But it was commonly used in WWII. So there is no hard evidence that it was a textile originated phrase. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be.

What it does mean is that the most common application, and first documented uses were military related. Thus, the most probable origin was military related. I could be wrong on this one, and you could be right. Any reference you can provide me would be great, as I am always open to expanding my knowledge. It would be impossible that I am so smart that I could never be wrong, which I would like to correct if I can!

My referance piece is: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/t...ine-yards.html

Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-27-2014, 06:33   #12
nursetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass10mm View Post
Reno, Nevada is further West than Los Angeles, CA.
I call shenanigans on this one. Prove it.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:07   #13
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
I call shenanigans on this one. Prove it.
Reno: 39.5272° N, 119.8219° W

Los Angeles: 34.0500° N, 118.2500° W

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 01-27-2014 at 07:12..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 14:18   #14
nursetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Reno: 39.5272° N, 119.8219° W

Los Angeles: 34.0500° N, 118.2500° W

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps
I guess that's why they call you atlas and not me. Thank you for bringing me into the light.

So let me ask you this, since you've provided your bonifides.
My father say the northern most, southern most eastern most, and western most state in the union is Alaska, or Hawaii, is this true?
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:39   #15
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Major George Welch (USAF) was the first pilot to break the sound barrier. Welch was the chief test pilot of the F-86 and completed the flight at Muroc AFB, California on October 1st, 1949. He went supersonic a second time on October 14th, about thirty minutes before Chuck Yeager flew the X-1 through the sound barrier. Yeager got credit for it because the capabilities of the F-86 were kept classified until just recently.
< cough > 1947 < cough >

Welch, along with Ken Taylor, was nominated for the MoH at Pearl Harbor for shooting down three Japanese planes. They were awarded the DSC instead because they were not at their post when the attack began. Welch died test-piloting an F-100.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38   #16
Dave514

You can't fit a cubic foot of dirt in a 5 gallon bucket.

A cubic foot of dirt is 7.48 gallons of dirt.
Dave514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 21:55   #17
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post

Whoa....really?
Old 01-31-2014, 21:59   #18
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Whoa....really?
I guess he ever had to pile up dirt.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 22:02   #19
Andy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post

A cubit foot of anything is 7.48 gallons.

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:03   #20
VinnieD

A shrimp's stomach is in its head.

A starfish has no brain.

Abraham Lincoln once when challenged to a duel and given the choice of weapons, chose broadswords. Due to his significantly greater height he had a massive reach advantage, causing his opponent to rethink his challenge.

Due to the natural decay of potassium, bananas are mildly radioactive.

You can tell the age of a clam by counting the rings. Some clams can live to be multiple centuries old.

Similar to skyscrapers in the US having no 13th floor, hospitals in Japan have no 4th floor, due to the Japanese word for four being "shi" which is similar to "shini" meaning death.

The reason onions make you tear up is because the sulfur in onion juice mixes with tears to produce sulfuric acid, which your body is desperately trying to flush out.

A group of crows is called a murder.

A group of baboons is called a congress.

Next time you think humanity is boring, just remember that you are a ghost in a biological supercomputer piloting a robot made out of meat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obscure