GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:48   #1
Narkcop
Senior Member
 
Narkcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,678
Why is it that education doesn't make most people smart?

In my experience education level does not equate to smart. Look how the mainstream media influences the sheeple who by and large are well educated. One example is how people are buying into this notion of bombing Syria because the media is telling them "It's the right thing to do". That is now the catch phrase of this bunch of KOOKS.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26   #2
bigdogmurph
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
bigdogmurph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: hardy va.
Posts: 254
Blog Entries: 2
As Ron White would say, you can't fix stupid.
bigdogmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31   #3
farscott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Athens, AL, & Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 595
Who says that most Americans are well-educated? Most are functionally illiterate, cannot do basic math (ever watch people make change or compute a tip??), and have no understanding of basic physics. Combine that with people who have an agenda and you get where we are.
__________________
Scott
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:51   #4
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
Who says that most Americans are well-educated? Most are functionally illiterate, cannot do basic math (ever watch people make change or compute a tip??), and have no understanding of basic physics. Combine that with people who have an agenda and you get where we are.
All people are stupid at something or the other. Trusting others is the first part of being stupid.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31   #5
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT
 
LoadToadBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northwest Louisiana
Posts: 3,398
knowledge does not equal wisdom.
__________________
"An essential element of a mature democracy is the ability to allow others the liberty to exercise a right that you may find distasteful." --LTB

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:44   #6
Revvv
Senior Member
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss View Post
knowledge does not equal wisdom.
Not at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 13:50   #7
tenforme
Senior Member
 
tenforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss View Post
knowledge does not equal wisdom.
No but its a pretty fundamental building block
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35   #8
gommer
Senior Member
 
gommer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,093
Because education shows your ability to learn.

Being intelligent means you can figure it out.
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26   #9
blackjack
Senior Member
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Sand Springs OK
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post
Because education shows your ability to learn.

Being intelligent means you can figure it out.
And wisdom and common sense are even more valuable when combined with education and intelligence. It's a rare mix, though.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39   #10
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Because our education system revolves around memorization and regurgitating what you memorized on a test. Memorization capability does not equate to intelligence.

It's like the age old question, who is more intelligent, a doctor or an engineer?

I know doctors that wouldn't even know where to begin to change the oil on their car. Even if the engineer didn't know how to do it, they could figure it out.

Last edited by Fear Night; 09-05-2013 at 07:04..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09   #11
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 6,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
Because our education system revolves around memorization and regurgitating what you memorized on a test. Memorization capability does not equate to intelligence.
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.

He gained his Ph.D and now develops high level medical business strategies for a Fortune 50 Company. Such a job requires an agile brain and provides him the opportunity to function in an intellectually challenging area while associating with equally smart guys.

The levels of learning are Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation. Those functioning at the Correlation level have certainly benefited from their education.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45   #12
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.
This is exactly my point. It's also a generalization, not the rule.

My father in law is a good example. He is an oral surgeon with 35+ years experience, and knows all there is to know about teeth and the mouth. He probably also knows more about the rest of the body than many MDs. He has an extreme wealth of knowledge in the medical field.

In addition to that, he also has a mechanical/technical side. He farms in his free time and would have no hesitation in tearing apart one of his tractors to fix a problem, or design a tool/jig to get the job done. He also knows just about everything there is to know about hunting and shooting. He is what I would consider a very well rounded, intelligent individual.
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59   #13
racerford
Senior Member
 
racerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW area
Posts: 4,861


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
..... He is what I would consider a very well rounded, intelligent individual.
Sure he knows a lot but can he cook a quiche or darn a sock?

The is a correlation between education and intelligence, but not an equivalence.

Even if 3% of the population have doctorates, that doesn't mean they are the top 3% most intelligent people. Now maybe only 10% of the population are intelligent enough to do what it takes to get a doctorate. Even when really intelligent people don't get a higher formal education they often self-educate on topics theyare drawn to.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20   #14
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape
 
SC Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 6,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
This is exactly my point. It's also a generalization, not the rule.

My father in law is a good example. He is an oral surgeon with 35+ years experience, and knows all there is to know about teeth and the mouth. He probably also knows more about the rest of the body than many MDs. He has an extreme wealth of knowledge in the medical field.

In addition to that, he also has a mechanical/technical side. He farms in his free time and would have no hesitation in tearing apart one of his tractors to fix a problem, or design a tool/jig to get the job done. He also knows just about everything there is to know about hunting and shooting. He is what I would consider a very well rounded, intelligent individual.
Bear in mind with your FIL that the farming and mechanical work are things he finds interesting. People who find things interesting tend to learn more about them. If he did not find those things interesting he would probably know little about them and would know more about the stuff that did interest him.

It has as much to do with interest as it does with intelligence.
__________________
Hug your barking irons as the Devil hugs a witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41   #15
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
Bear in mind with your FIL that the farming and mechanical work are things he finds interesting. People who find things interesting tend to learn more about them. If he did not find those things interesting he would probably know little about them and would know more about the stuff that did interest him.

It has as much to do with interest as it does with intelligence.
Yeah, I'm with you. Somebody with no interest in a subject would never bother to pursue it, even though they could possibly perform it.
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03   #16
czsmithGT
Senior Member
 
czsmithGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,386
People who aren't smart don't get Ph.Ds in electrical engineering, specialize in pediatric heart surgery, design bridges over the Mississippi River, or or discover how to turn uranium into a WMD. If the Nobel Prize winner in literature can't change the head gaskets in his Dodge pick-up or doesn't agree with my politics it doesn't mean he isn't smart.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:34   #17
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.

He gained his Ph.D and now develops high level medical business strategies for a Fortune 50 Company. Such a job requires an agile brain and provides him the opportunity to function in an intellectually challenging area while associating with equally smart guys.

The levels of learning are Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation. Those functioning at the Correlation level have certainly benefited from their education.
Your friends conclusions about doctors are empirically wrong.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 18:46   #18
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 6,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Your friends conclusions about doctors are empirically wrong.
His conclusions are empirically correct in so far as that they are based on his observations and experience. For him, they are verifiable in that he is cognitively superior to the majority of physicians, is academically accomplished with degrees from MIT, Harvard and Oxford (the later being the result of an international fellowship) and has found a fit with people who are his intellectual equals. Equally important, in his current position, his output has a more global impact than if he were a doctor and thus benefits more people.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:04   #19
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member
 
.264 magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 16,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
His conclusions are empirically correct in so far as that they are based on his observations and experience. For him, they are verifiable in that he is cognitively superior to the majority of physicians, is academically accomplished with degrees from MIT, Harvard and Oxford (the later being the result of an international fellowship) and has found a fit with people who are his intellectual equals. Equally important, in his current position, his output has a more global impact than if he were a doctor and thus benefits more people.
That's all well and good as he's a 5n kind of intellect or better. That still does not mean that docs are glorified school children who regurgitate easily learned facts.
__________________
The Gonzales Flag - "Come and Take It!"
.264 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:49   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
His conclusions are empirically correct in so far as that they are based on his observations and experience. For him, they are verifiable in that he is cognitively superior to the majority of physicians, is academically accomplished with degrees from MIT, Harvard and Oxford (the later being the result of an international fellowship) and has found a fit with people who are his intellectual equals. Equally important, in his current position, his output has a more global impact than if he were a doctor and thus benefits more people.
No. It doesnt work that way. There is no detail you can present about his intelligence that will make his observations about doctors correct. He is factually wrong as you tell the story. I called you out on that fact alone. There is nothing you can do to become "right" with the claim you made.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:37   #21
sputnik767
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.

He gained his Ph.D and now develops high level medical business strategies for a Fortune 50 Company. Such a job requires an agile brain and provides him the opportunity to function in an intellectually challenging area while associating with equally smart guys.

The levels of learning are Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation. Those functioning at the Correlation level have certainly benefited from their education.
There are very, very few people who could rely solely or primarily on their memorization skills to get through med school and residency. Your friend's conclusions are wrong. That is not to say that memorization is not important, and I have to do a lot of memorizing. I suspect there are other reasons why your friend quit med school.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:41   #22
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 6,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
There are very, very few people who could rely solely or primarily on their memorization skills to get through med school and residency. Your friend's conclusions are wrong. That is not to say that memorization is not important, and I have to do a lot of memorizing. I suspect there are other reasons why your friend quit med school.
I'm sure that there were collateral reasons, but the main reason was that he went from a MD/Ph.D program to a Ph.D program at HMS was that he was bored and found research to be more engaging.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 09-05-2013 at 19:43..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:32   #23
Mr.Pliskin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 340
Knowledge≠Intelligence
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19   #24
OrangePwr9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY, North of the Fingerlakes
Posts: 601
Because most are taught WHAT to think. Relatively few are taught HOW to think.
OrangePwr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 15:48   #25
saltydog
Member
 
saltydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: From The Free State of Okla
Posts: 82
Our Country is run by highly educated people. Enough said!
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 800
179 Members
621 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42