GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:48   #1
Narkcop

Why is it that education doesn't make most people smart?

In my experience education level does not equate to smart. Look how the mainstream media influences the sheeple who by and large are well educated. One example is how people are buying into this notion of bombing Syria because the media is telling them "It's the right thing to do". That is now the catch phrase of this bunch of KOOKS.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26   #2
bigdogmurph
Lifetime Membership

As Ron White would say, you can't fix stupid.
bigdogmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31   #3
farscott

Who says that most Americans are well-educated? Most are functionally illiterate, cannot do basic math (ever watch people make change or compute a tip??), and have no understanding of basic physics. Combine that with people who have an agenda and you get where we are.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:51   #4
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscott View Post
Who says that most Americans are well-educated? Most are functionally illiterate, cannot do basic math (ever watch people make change or compute a tip??), and have no understanding of basic physics. Combine that with people who have an agenda and you get where we are.
All people are stupid at something or the other. Trusting others is the first part of being stupid.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31   #5
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

knowledge does not equal wisdom.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:44   #6
Revvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss View Post
Not at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 13:50   #7
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadToadBoss View Post
No but its a pretty fundamental building block
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35   #8
gommer

Because education shows your ability to learn.

Being intelligent means you can figure it out.
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26   #9
blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post
Because education shows your ability to learn.

Being intelligent means you can figure it out.
And wisdom and common sense are even more valuable when combined with education and intelligence. It's a rare mix, though.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39   #10
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Because our education system revolves around memorization and regurgitating what you memorized on a test. Memorization capability does not equate to intelligence.

It's like the age old question, who is more intelligent, a doctor or an engineer?

I know doctors that wouldn't even know where to begin to change the oil on their car. Even if the engineer didn't know how to do it, they could figure it out.

Last edited by Fear Night; 09-05-2013 at 07:04..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09   #11
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
Because our education system revolves around memorization and regurgitating what you memorized on a test. Memorization capability does not equate to intelligence.
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.

He gained his Ph.D and now develops high level medical business strategies for a Fortune 50 Company. Such a job requires an agile brain and provides him the opportunity to function in an intellectually challenging area while associating with equally smart guys.

The levels of learning are Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation. Those functioning at the Correlation level have certainly benefited from their education.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:45   #12
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.
This is exactly my point. It's also a generalization, not the rule.

My father in law is a good example. He is an oral surgeon with 35+ years experience, and knows all there is to know about teeth and the mouth. He probably also knows more about the rest of the body than many MDs. He has an extreme wealth of knowledge in the medical field.

In addition to that, he also has a mechanical/technical side. He farms in his free time and would have no hesitation in tearing apart one of his tractors to fix a problem, or design a tool/jig to get the job done. He also knows just about everything there is to know about hunting and shooting. He is what I would consider a very well rounded, intelligent individual.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59   #13
racerford

Quote:
..... He is what I would consider a very well rounded, intelligent individual.
Sure he knows a lot but can he cook a quiche or darn a sock?

The is a correlation between education and intelligence, but not an equivalence.

Even if 3% of the population have doctorates, that doesn't mean they are the top 3% most intelligent people. Now maybe only 10% of the population are intelligent enough to do what it takes to get a doctorate. Even when really intelligent people don't get a higher formal education they often self-educate on topics theyare drawn to.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20   #14
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
This is exactly my point. It's also a generalization, not the rule.

My father in law is a good example. He is an oral surgeon with 35+ years experience, and knows all there is to know about teeth and the mouth. He probably also knows more about the rest of the body than many MDs. He has an extreme wealth of knowledge in the medical field.

In addition to that, he also has a mechanical/technical side. He farms in his free time and would have no hesitation in tearing apart one of his tractors to fix a problem, or design a tool/jig to get the job done. He also knows just about everything there is to know about hunting and shooting. He is what I would consider a very well rounded, intelligent individual.
Bear in mind with your FIL that the farming and mechanical work are things he finds interesting. People who find things interesting tend to learn more about them. If he did not find those things interesting he would probably know little about them and would know more about the stuff that did interest him.

It has as much to do with interest as it does with intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41   #15
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
Bear in mind with your FIL that the farming and mechanical work are things he finds interesting. People who find things interesting tend to learn more about them. If he did not find those things interesting he would probably know little about them and would know more about the stuff that did interest him.

It has as much to do with interest as it does with intelligence.
Yeah, I'm with you. Somebody with no interest in a subject would never bother to pursue it, even though they could possibly perform it.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03   #16
czsmithGT

People who aren't smart don't get Ph.Ds in electrical engineering, specialize in pediatric heart surgery, design bridges over the Mississippi River, or or discover how to turn uranium into a WMD. If the Nobel Prize winner in literature can't change the head gaskets in his Dodge pick-up or doesn't agree with my politics it doesn't mean he isn't smart.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 16:34   #17
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

He gained his Ph.D and now develops high level medical business strategies for a Fortune 50 Company. Such a job requires an agile brain and provides him the opportunity to function in an intellectually challenging area while associating with equally smart guys.

The levels of learning are Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation. Those functioning at the Correlation level have certainly benefited from their education.
Your friends conclusions about doctors are empirically wrong.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 18:46   #18
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Your friends conclusions about doctors are empirically wrong.
His conclusions are empirically correct in so far as that they are based on his observations and experience. For him, they are verifiable in that he is cognitively superior to the majority of physicians, is academically accomplished with degrees from MIT, Harvard and Oxford (the later being the result of an international fellowship) and has found a fit with people who are his intellectual equals. Equally important, in his current position, his output has a more global impact than if he were a doctor and thus benefits more people.

Old 09-05-2013, 19:04   #19
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
His conclusions are empirically correct in so far as that they are based on his observations and experience. For him, they are verifiable in that he is cognitively superior to the majority of physicians, is academically accomplished with degrees from MIT, Harvard and Oxford (the later being the result of an international fellowship) and has found a fit with people who are his intellectual equals. Equally important, in his current position, his output has a more global impact than if he were a doctor and thus benefits more people.
That's all well and good as he's a 5n kind of intellect or better. That still does not mean that docs are glorified school children who regurgitate easily learned facts.
Old 09-05-2013, 20:49   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
No. It doesnt work that way. There is no detail you can present about his intelligence that will make his observations about doctors correct. He is factually wrong as you tell the story. I called you out on that fact alone. There is nothing you can do to become "right" with the claim you made.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:37   #21
sputnik767

Quote:

There are very, very few people who could rely solely or primarily on their memorization skills to get through med school and residency. Your friend's conclusions are wrong. That is not to say that memorization is not important, and I have to do a lot of memorizing. I suspect there are other reasons why your friend quit med school.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:41   #22
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
There are very, very few people who could rely solely or primarily on their memorization skills to get through med school and residency. Your friend's conclusions are wrong. That is not to say that memorization is not important, and I have to do a lot of memorizing. I suspect there are other reasons why your friend quit med school.
I'm sure that there were collateral reasons, but the main reason was that he went from a MD/Ph.D program to a Ph.D program at HMS was that he was bored and found research to be more engaging.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 09-05-2013 at 19:43..
Old 09-06-2013, 07:32   #23
Mr.Pliskin

Knowledge≠Intelligence
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:19   #24
OrangePwr9

Because most are taught WHAT to think. Relatively few are taught HOW to think.
OrangePwr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 15:48   #25
saltydog

Our Country is run by highly educated people. Enough said!
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote