GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18   #1
jdavionic
NRA Member
 
jdavionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,819
For those that carry, are you making changes based on the Zimmerman case?

For those that carry, are you making changes based on the Zimmerman case? The intent of this thread is to discuss what can we learn from the case. To do this, you have to critique Zimmerman's actions. However just because you see something that could be done differently or better, it doesn't mean that I'm trying to say GZ was a horrible guy because he did a, b, or c wrong. This is the carry section...I am just trying to rationally discuss what we can learn from the facts that were presented in this case. It's always better to learn from someone elses mistakes.

For me, I am hoping someone posts a link to an organization that's been mentioned before where they provide initial legal support if you are unfortunate enough to be in an incident. I cannot remember the name of the organization...sorry.

I used to think that if I did nothing wrong, that I would openly cooperate throughout questioning without legal representation. I changed that opinion before this whole incident; however this case did reinforce my decision. I don't think the police are targeting people that carry. Clearly the testimony showed that wasn't the case with Zimmerman. However your statements can be used by others in the aftermath and you should have legal representation to ensure that you have a fair assessment.

Another item that I've considered is increasing the frequency of carrying pepper spray. I'm fortunate that I'm not a 0.5 on a scale of 1-10 for fending off an attacker with my hands only. However, I do want to have as many non-lethal options are I can reasonably have for defending myself. I don't know whether that would have made a difference in the GZ case. Obviously once the attacker is on top, it was not an option. However maybe he could have used it as TM was initially approaching in an aggressive manner. Whether or not that's possible with GZ, the case did remind me to have more than just a hammer in the toolbox.

So what are your thoughts? Any changes that you plan to make?
__________________
- JD

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:15   #2
jdavionic
NRA Member
 
jdavionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,819
Okay, I found the organization that I was thinking of (cited above) - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home

I've seen them posted in the past. I wonder if anyone has used their services or is familiar with the organization. If so, please post your experience / opinion of them.

Thanks.
__________________
- JD

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:30   #3
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s
 
Kichigai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,052
i dont think it will change many peoples minds especially since he was found not guilty. But that is also in the state of Florida which is far more relaxed than a lot of states when it comes to this. But i think it clearly demonstrates that pointing a gun at someone or using it can have potentially very serious implications and that you need to really think before you do so. It is a serious thing to do and should not be taken lightly.
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 13:52   #4
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 20,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Okay, I found the organization that I was thinking of (cited above) - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home

I've seen them posted in the past. I wonder if anyone has used their services or is familiar with the organization. If so, please post your experience / opinion of them.

Thanks.
I know Marty and I've dealt with his organization. *Highly* recommended.
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 13:57   #5
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist
 
Dragoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 24,156
No change, I didn't do stupid things before and am not going to start now.
__________________
“Right is still right, even if nobody is doing it. And wrong is still wrong, even if everybody is doing it.”—Texas Ranger saying.
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 14:27   #6
fastbolt
Senior Member
 
fastbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Within the lightning (Northern CA)
Posts: 9,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
No change, I didn't do stupid things before and am not going to start now.
Exactly.
__________________
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 17:25   #7
Wishoot
Senior Member
 
Wishoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
No change, I didn't do stupid things before and am not going to start now.
+11teenmillion
Wishoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:40   #8
djdavis75
Member
 
djdavis75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 62
I don't think it was wise of Zimmerman to get out of his car like he did, it was a risky move in my opinion. That said, had I been in Zimmerman's shoes, would I have done anything differently, I do not know. It's easy to look back, with plenty of time to analyze the situation, and judge the decisions he made. In the moment though, I don't know if I would have acted differently or not. I'm sure Zimmerman felt at the time he was acting in an appropriate and reasonable manner.

Will it change the way I carry? NO. I will still carry, but it might change my mindset when I carry. I think I might put more thought into any action I take, and I think that's a good thing. It's our right to own and carry a firearm for self-defense in my opinion, but it doesn't make us bad ass crime fighters. That gun is there to protect you, your family, or an innocent person if and when needed. The gun shouldn't make you seek out a confrontation, or engage in any risky, stupid, or unnecessary behavior. I think that is the lesson we can all learn from this incident.

On talking to the cops...I've recently become a big believer in never answering any questions from cops until you've consulted with an attorney. You can see the prosecution tried to use many things Zimmerman said against him. While cops may not like it, it's your right to speak to an attorney prior to answering any questions, and it is probably in your best interest to do so in almost all circumstances. I'm not advocating being an ass to the police, but if you just used a gun in self-defense, you should be concerned about the rest of your life, not how well the cops like you.

On non-lethal weapons...I don't carry any, I'm not a trained fighter, and I'm not in the best physical shape. I know, I should work on all of those aspects. I don't disagree with carrying non-lethal weapons, but when you are being attacked, and you feel you may be in danger of serious bodily injury or death, you should use the weapon that saves your life. I will try to avoid confrontation, fighting, etc... whenever possible, but if the SHTF and I fear for my life, the life of a loved one, or the life of an innocent person, I will shoot someone to stop that threat.
__________________
Glock 29 Gen3 10mm Auto
Colt M4 (LE6920MP-B) 5.56mm NATO
Mossberg 590 12 Gauge

Last edited by djdavis75; 07-15-2013 at 02:45..
djdavis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 19:31   #9
LApm9
Senior Member
 
LApm9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 535
1) I have increased my awareness of my surroundings. I am not going to get sucker punched. I mean, at least I will be less likely to be sucker punched.

2) I am really going to go out of my way to me pleasant to my co-workers. This trial showed how valuable it is to have a lot of people who think you are a great person. So many of the witnesses for the prosecution seemed to really like "Georgie", which really helped him.
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 14:48   #10
jdavionic
NRA Member
 
jdavionic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I know Marty and I've dealt with his organization. *Highly* recommended.
Thank you. I value your opinion highly.
__________________
- JD

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45   #11
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
Senior Member
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,796
Deja Vu...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1495084

Here's what I said there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I believe it was Zimmerman's neighborhood watch position and racial profiling issues that caused all his problems. As an armed citizen who carries for self protection nothing has changed for me.
__________________
still living & learning
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47   #12
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s
 
Kichigai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,052
yeah if the mods had to merge all the similar threads that are posted they would be up 24/7
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:03   #13
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
Senior Member
 
OldSchool64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
yeah if the mods had to merge all the similar threads that are posted they would be up 24/7
I still think Russ never sleeps
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 17:28   #14
jakebrake
cracker
 
jakebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: too close to philly
Posts: 7,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I still think Russ never sleeps
he does. he's just so damn good, he can dream post.
__________________
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 00:20   #15
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,620
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I still think Russ never sleeps
Why do you say that????
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 00:30   #16
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,620
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
he does. he's just so damn good, he can dream post.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 14:32   #17
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,620
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
yeah if the mods had to merge all the similar threads that are posted they would be up 24/7
You are such a lovable FNG......first in The OAF, now here in Carry Issues.

We have the same topic in different forums for a few reasons. One is that perspectives vary forum to forum. Another is that some members just do not like posting in say, Political Issues, or The Okie Corral, but frequent Carry Issues. This gives them the opportunity to voice their opinions here where they are more comfortable posting.

Yeah, when there are duplicate topics here in CI, I will merge threads to consolidate the discussions. Right now the Zimmerman thing is in several different forums under several different thread topics.

And all night? NFW...

**********************************
We now return to our irregularly scheduled discussion.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 07-14-2013 at 14:36..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 14:37   #18
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s
 
Kichigai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
You are such a FNG......first in The OAF, now here in Carry Issues.

We have the same topic in different forums for a few reasons. One is that perspectives vary forum to forum. Another is that some members just do not like posting in say, Political Issues, or The Okie Corral, but frequent Carry Issues. This gives them the opportunity to voice their opinions here where they are more comfortable posting.

Yeah, when there are duplicate topics here in CI, I will merge threads to consolidate the discussions. Right now the Zimmerman thing is in several different forums under several different thread topics.

And all night? NFW...

**********************************
We now return to our irregularly scheduled discussion.
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 14:38   #19
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,620
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr30s View Post
I'm just kidding with you...
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57   #20
md2lgyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: WV
Posts: 2,898
Why would I change how I carry because of him? I'm not an overly aggressive, cop-wannabe idiot. Except for when I was an LEO, I've never confronted anybody like he did in all my 65 years.
__________________
"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 00:16   #21
Lisbeth
Imagine
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: gunshine state
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Why would I change how I carry because of him? I'm not an overly aggressive, cop-wannabe idiot. Except for when I was an LEO, I've never confronted anybody like he did in all my 65 years.
md2lgyk, too bad you weren't on the jury....
Lisbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 00:59   #22
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth View Post
md2lgyk, too bad you weren't on the jury....
Well the jury was made up of Six WOMEN what can you expect, there is no way they know anything about "justice"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34   #23
Lisbeth
Imagine
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: gunshine state
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Well the jury was made up of Six WOMEN what can you expect, there is no way they know anything about "justice"
Smile when you say that, pardner......
Lisbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 13:25   #24
Deaf Smith
Senior Member
 
Deaf Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Texican in Texas (where else?)
Posts: 8,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Well the jury was made up of Six WOMEN what can you expect, there is no way they know anything about "justice"
Turns out the prosecutor used one of his outs to drop a black female. Why/ She watched Fox news!

Deaf
__________________
“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” Ayn Rand
Deaf Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 22:51   #25
panzer1
NRA MEMBER
 
panzer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: p.a.
Posts: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Why would I change how I carry because of him? I'm not an overly aggressive, cop-wannabe idiot. Except for when I was an LEO, I've never confronted anybody like he did in all my 65 years.
Sorry but no prof that he is ANY of that or confronted anyone.
__________________
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR VICTORY!
NRA MEMBER
panzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 660
179 Members
481 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42