6 Reasons Why YOU Wont Survive The Coming Collapse

Comments please.......................

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/6-...istBlog.net%29

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:54   #2
b_oglethorpe

Forget the fact I'm a out of shape fatty who lives off Mac Donald's.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
b_oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44   #3
SFCSMITH(RET)

Probably true for at least some points for many who want/try to be prepared.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:46   #4
quake

All six of his reasons can be boiled down to two concepts - inconsistency and intellectual dishonesty. And those two problems distill down to one word - immaturity.

His six reasons in bold:

Overconfidence - a mature, intellectually-honest person admits his limitations, and trains/practices enough to genuinely know them. This discovery and acceptance is not only more likely as one ages, it's more important as one ages.

Procrastination - This is one of my soapbox issues. A mature person does what is necessary, when it is necessary; and is honest enough with himself to be willing to leave his comfort zone when necessary. This isn't a prep thing, it's a life thing. As zig ziglar put it, "If you do what you ought to do, when you ought to do it, the time will soon come when you can do what you want to do, when you want to do it." Procrastination is simply the unwillingness to forgo the 'want to' items of immediate gratification and instead work on the 'ought to' items, while simply assuming that "it will all work out in the long run"; even if they intellectually know that to be unlikely and irrational.

Inefficient use of resources - much like 'procrastination' above, it's partly a problem of comfort zone, and largely an issue of ignorance; both of which are reduced as maturity and focus are increased.

Failure to act - typically induced by either fear or emotional unwillingness to accept what is seen; a mature person controls his fear and accepts reality, regardless of how uncomfortable or unpleasant that reality is.

Lack of persistence - ie, lack of consistency and lack of purpose; both signs of unstable, unfocused, immature thought processes.

Divided actions - Same as above. Even the bible says, "A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways", so this is more than just my personal opinion.

All that said, if he'd titled the article "Six Reasons MANY People won't Survive the Coming Collapse", I'd agree with him fully. There are a whole lot of inconsistent, intellectually-dishonest, immature, fearful, emotional, and double-minded people in the world; and seems like we have more than our fair share in modern America. The most frustrating part for me personally, is that not only would a simple dose of mature, intellectual honesty help overcome many of life's speed bumps for both individuals and society at large, it would actually prevent many of those speed bumps as well.

But it's easier to be a passenger on a bus than to drive your own car, and over the mid- to late-1900's our incredible prosperity as a nation allowed us to devolve from a society of individual drivers, into a collection of passengers.

That's why those of us who want to just be our own individuals are now seen as the odd and dangerous ones. The society of passengers thinks, "Why don't those guys just get on the bus with the rest of us?" The passengers consciously leave the driving to someone else, looking only out their side windows and seeing the beautiful scenery as it passes by; but never looking out the windshield for themselves, and so never seeing the cliff the bus is headed for.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:51   #5
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:21   #6
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

It's like the Nike folks say, "Just do it!"

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:23   #7
FireForged
Millenium #3936

5 out of the 6 reasons are all character flaws and the 6th is an axiom ... is this actually supposed to be taken as a serious analytical consideration??

Last edited by FireForged; 07-06-2013 at 19:24..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:27   #8
eb07
Sharkin'

When society breaks down. Luck and fate will control everything. Wrong place wrong time. Right place right time. Golden bb.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23   #9
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
When society breaks down. Luck and fate will control everything. Wrong place wrong time. Right place right time. Golden bb.
Remember reading a survival fiction about a guy who had prepped to the max, and when TSHTF, he looked up and saw a nuke warhead coming down from the sky, right towards his encampment. End of Story. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 21:03   #10
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

there is a coming collapse Survival/Preparedness Forum
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:46   #11
drt4life

So many variables.....experts are wrong all the time.....If you are serious about prepping, you have to prep seriously....
drt4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:30   #12
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

how did the cowboys survive without all the nice-ities we worry about losing today?

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:08   #13
Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
how did the cowboys survive without all the nice-ities we worry about losing today?
With a whole lot shorter life span and a whole lot higher mortality rate.

I would challenge everybody who fantasize that they can live without the modern medical system. Try just to walk 5-10 miles a day everyday for a year. If you don't injure yourself in anyway that needs medical attention, that would be miracle already. In the jungle? Forget it. You may last a week or two if you don't have injury or illness.

In my stupid opinion, we can only survive by one of the two ways:
1. Band together to form a new society/community.
2. Bug out to another safe country.

Last edited by Stupid; 07-07-2013 at 15:13..
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 16:18   #14
pugman

5 Reasons you (as in the people on this board) have a chance better than most.

Situational Awareness: You watch the news, you read blogs and you can even lump GT S&P into this. Estimates range but I've read as many as half of Americans under the age of 30 now get their "news" from social media sites. I was at the gym earlier today talking to a few regulars...none of the 5 even knew about the situation in Egypt which they first became aware of as they saw it on the news feed on one of the club's big tvs. However, 5 of 5 knew the Eagles were playing at Summerfest tonight and 4 of the 5 said they would "hit" Kim Kardashian.

Gun Ownership: You probably own a gun...probably more than one. The U.S population in 2012 was estimated at 314 million. Again, numbers vary but most estimates I've read state less than 1 in 3 own a gun now a days and less than 1 in 20 have ever had any sort of defensive training with it.

Food: No you might not have ten years worth of food stocked away. You may never have broken out the canning set you bought five years ago but I bet 9 in 10 people on this board have at least two weeks of food in the house. This alone will help you in most "real world" collaspes. Again, numbers vary but from what I read the average family of four has less than 3 days worth of food in the house. Eating out, the fact less and less families have family meals and poor eating in general all led to this.

S&P interest: My personal pet peeve. The fact you read this board means the prepardness bug is still in you. The author doesn't get the fact if people are reading his article on a board called The Survivalist Blog there is at least in interest. My niece's BD party was yesterday. My entire family was on me about the fact I carried there, I went to see World War Z, the fact after the party I was going to finish my workout at the gym, etc. My siblings have quietly told my nieces and nephews Uncle Pugman is "crazy." Again, they were oblivious to Egypt. My older brother (who makes a very comfortable six figure living) told my SIL they needed to stop on the way home to get toliet paper. How does a family run out of toliet paper? I know for a fact my brother's family has less than a week's worth of food in the house, no gun, no supplies, etc. They barely have bandaids in the house-how does a family with kids not have even a basic FAK? I'm willing to bet most on this board have basics-this alone puts you ahead of 75% of the U.S (and probably more).

Buddies: It would be extremely unlikely a single person will survive a collaspe. You probably have one friend who shares your prepardness bug; you may be part of a network. Your entire family might be "into it." The point being even though you might not be persistant or you aren't efficient in your resources; your friends and network might balance you out. There is strength in numbers

Last edited by pugman; 07-07-2013 at 16:20..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 16:28   #15
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
5 Reasons you (as in the people on this board) have a chance better than most. ...
If I knew of a way to attach a "LIKE" to this post, as can be done on other forums, I'd do so with this post.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 19:20   #16
FireForged
Millenium #3936

All this doom, gloom and despair isn't really going to matter if something like shtf ever happens. In that moment you can sit there and give up or you can get-on and live in whatever way you can. Maybe it will be 6 months maybe It will be 6 years, who knows. It doesn't matter what happened to the "cowboys" or some tribe in the congo. The only thing that will matter is what options I have [right now] and what decisions I need to make. I can contribute to my list of options and learn to mitigate some of the threats that would endanger me -or- I can throw my hands up and do nothing if a crisis occurs.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52   #17
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
If I knew of a way to attach a "LIKE" to this post, as can be done on other forums, I'd do so with this post.
100% agree with the post, and wishing that we had a "Like" button available!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 22:08   #18
bdcochran

"how did the cowboys survive without all the nice-ities we worry about losing today?"

The other day, there was also a posting by a member who thought that because the American Indian existed without modern conveniences, we should also be able to do so.

So, for those who fantasize, here are google citations:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/prog...ve/cowboys.htm
"The cowboys' average age was 24. They were paid so badly, and worked so hard, that two-thirds of them made only one trail drive before finding something better to do. They owned their saddle, but not the horse they rode -- and they rode it day and night.

For a man to be stove up at thirty may sound strange to some people, but many a cowboy has been so bunged up that he has to quit riding that early in life... My advice to any young man or boy is to stay at home and not be a rambler, as it won't buy you anything.
James Emmit McCauley"

Life Expectancy
http://www.customessaymeister.com/cu...abor/16056.htm

"In 1850 the life expectancy of a white male living in the U.S was thirty-eight years old. A Cowboys prime time in his life was about twenty-four. Many cowboys lasted well into there thirties but due to the hard work and many activities the men were tired and were owed a rest. "

Ok, next the fantasy that you will live off the land. Most farmers were permanently disabled by age 40 by industrial accidents. So, when you fantasize about it, I will not allow you to have a rota-tor cuff fixed, a hip replacement, a hernia repaired, antibiotics, a knee replacement, eye surgery, a tetanus shot (the author of Walden Pond's brother died of lockjaw). After all, the farmers who lived off the land did not have those things.

Go ahead and look at photographs of settlers in the late 1800s. The kids didn't wear shoes. Many lived in sod houses. That was the reality!
"
http://www.netplaces.com/american-ci...casualties.htm
The casualty statistics are staggering. According to an analysis of government records, slightly more than 350,000 Union soldiers died from various causes during the Civil War. The majority of deaths were from disease. Nearly 25,000 men died from causes such as suicide, execution, sunstroke, and accidents. The Union navy lost nearly 5,000 men to illness, accidents, and battle injuries.

Records of Confederate deaths aren't nearly as comprehensive as those of Union casualties; military and government files were destroyed during and after the war. However, a generally accepted estimate is 150,000 dead of disease and 95,000 killed or mortally wounded in combat."

The reality is that when you go primitive, your chances of dying of disease and accidents is going to be very high. So, this has been a reality check for the members of the forum - only to be disregarded by the next guy who thinks he can become an isolate like a cowboy, American Indian or a farmer and survive in comfort while everyone else succumbs.

______
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:16   #19
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
...So, for those who fantasize, here are google citations:

..."In 1850 the life expectancy of a white male living in the U.S was thirty-eight years old. A Cowboys prime time in his life was about twenty-four. Many cowboys lasted well into there thirties but due to the hard work and many activities the men were tired and were owed a rest. "

...The reality is that when you go primitive, your chances of dying of disease and accidents is going to be very high. So, this has been a reality check for the members of the forum - only to be disregarded by the next guy who thinks he can become an isolate like a cowboy, American Indian or a farmer and survive in comfort while everyone else succumbs.

______
Not to mention the odds of even reaching adulthood in the first place. Haven't looked it up in a long time but iirc, it was something like a 20-28% mortality rate before age two, by settlers in the 1840's-1860's. Another example of "we don't realize how good we have it" in modern America.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43   #20
Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
"how did the cowboys survive without all the nice-ities we worry about losing today?"

The other day, there was also a posting by a member who thought that because the American Indian existed without modern conveniences, we should also be able to do so.

So, for those who fantasize, here are google citations:

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/prog...ve/cowboys.htm
"The cowboys' average age was 24. They were paid so badly, and worked so hard, that two-thirds of them made only one trail drive before finding something better to do. They owned their saddle, but not the horse they rode -- and they rode it day and night.

For a man to be stove up at thirty may sound strange to some people, but many a cowboy has been so bunged up that he has to quit riding that early in life... My advice to any young man or boy is to stay at home and not be a rambler, as it won't buy you anything.
James Emmit McCauley"

Life Expectancy
http://www.customessaymeister.com/cu...abor/16056.htm

"In 1850 the life expectancy of a white male living in the U.S was thirty-eight years old. A Cowboys prime time in his life was about twenty-four. Many cowboys lasted well into there thirties but due to the hard work and many activities the men were tired and were owed a rest. "

Ok, next the fantasy that you will live off the land. Most farmers were permanently disabled by age 40 by industrial accidents. So, when you fantasize about it, I will not allow you to have a rota-tor cuff fixed, a hip replacement, a hernia repaired, antibiotics, a knee replacement, eye surgery, a tetanus shot (the author of Walden Pond's brother died of lockjaw). After all, the farmers who lived off the land did not have those things.

Go ahead and look at photographs of settlers in the late 1800s. The kids didn't wear shoes. Many lived in sod houses. That was the reality!
"
http://www.netplaces.com/american-ci...casualties.htm
The casualty statistics are staggering. According to an analysis of government records, slightly more than 350,000 Union soldiers died from various causes during the Civil War. The majority of deaths were from disease. Nearly 25,000 men died from causes such as suicide, execution, sunstroke, and accidents. The Union navy lost nearly 5,000 men to illness, accidents, and battle injuries.

Records of Confederate deaths aren't nearly as comprehensive as those of Union casualties; military and government files were destroyed during and after the war. However, a generally accepted estimate is 150,000 dead of disease and 95,000 killed or mortally wounded in combat."

The reality is that when you go primitive, your chances of dying of disease and accidents is going to be very high. So, this has been a reality check for the members of the forum - only to be disregarded by the next guy who thinks he can become an isolate like a cowboy, American Indian or a farmer and survive in comfort while everyone else succumbs.

______

What a sobering post!!!
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote