Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2013, 17:16   #1
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

HOA - Home Owner Associations - let's discuss:

Some starting points.

Do you have one where you live?

Are you for or against them?

Have you ever had a dispute with one? What happened?

Is any regulation they come up with fair game since the home buyer agreed?

Communist plot or free market in action?

Do you think they in some way violate your property rights or not?

Are they more beneficial or useful in a neighborhood with moderate or lower priced homes than say an upscale development? (Pricing per your region).

I have never had a realtor mention it to me nor have I had it part of a real estate transaction. I did live in one neighborhood where there was a Neighborhood Association. It was voluntary and dues were voluntary. Dues went to street light maintenance and putting on a couple cookouts each year. Other than that it had no function, there was nothing to sign. If you didn't mow your grass or you hung up a Jolly Roger flag all you got was the stink-eye from the neighbors.

It seems from what I can gather that legalistic HOAs are a big deal in the South. Maybe they are elsewhere. What's up? Tell what you know.

(Edited to add: I am fundamentally opposed to the idea as it seems a great opportunity for busybodies to make big pricks out of themselves with legal backing. But, as I have never lived in one, maybe I have it wrong. I'm open to other views.)

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 07-03-2013 at 17:38..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:28   #2
Knighj1

Live in one and love it personally. I like the fact that my neighbor can't have weeds 10 foot tall, or park cars in the yard, or let his house go to ****. You know, or should know going into it. If you don't like it, don't buy into the hood. I go in neighborhoods without it and think to myself this place would be a lot more appealing if they had one.
To each his own...
Knighj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 18:08   #3
cdog533
Zombie Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighj1 View Post
Live in one and love it personally. I like the fact that my neighbor can't have weeds 10 foot tall, or park cars in the yard, or let his house go to ****. You know, or should know going into it. If you don't like it, don't buy into the hood. I go in neighborhoods without it and think to myself this place would be a lot more appealing if they had one.
This.

I don't want some hillbilly neighbor parking a giant RV next to his house or putting a stove in his front yard. Forcing everyone in an area to have a certain standard of construction and behavior ensures that your property value or quality of life probably won't be adversely impacted by a neighbor.

It's all a free market thing. You know that certain neighborhoods have covenants, and restrictions, and zoning, and HOA's. Find one that fits what you like to do.

If you want 20 junk cars in your yard, or a huge chicken coop, or an above-ground pool, or whatever - God bless you. Just make sure you find a home in an area where these things are not an issue.

I've found that ECONOMICS is usually better at limiting your neighbor's actions that any HOA or zoning. Higher priced areas tend to attract people that understand social normality standards and expectations of neighbors. NOTE: I am not saying 'better' people. Just people that understand the things I mentioned and are willing to spend time & money to meet a certain standard of house/yard construction and maintenance.

Otherwise, you face 'social sanctions'. For instance, if I don't put in my garbage can the same day the garbage gets picked up, it gets PUT back in magically.... That's not someone being nice. It's a neighbor silently reminding me that the neighborhood policy says I have one day to put my ****ing can in.

Last edited by cdog533; 07-03-2013 at 18:11..
cdog533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 19:07   #4
Z71bill

Houston has no zoning - so without a HOA you could have someone build a recycling plant next to your house.

I have gotten a couple letters from them for minor stuff -- weeds in the cracks of my driveway - normally I had already fixed it before i even got the letter.

Just for fun and maybe a good laugh --

Could some of the guys that are anti HOA give me a few things you do on/to your home that would not be permitted if you had a HOA?

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-03-2013 at 19:09..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 19:31   #5
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Could some of the guys that are anti HOA give me a few things you do on/to your home that would not be permitted if you had a HOA?
1) i work outdoors in the heat, usually doing some sort of manual labor. almost 30 years of doing so has taken it's toll on my body so some weekends i either can't mow the yard, or i just flat out don't feel like it and it gets a little tall.

2) my mailbox is out by the main road. the main road is frequented by ****head teens and jackasses that love to bash mail boxes. after i replaced the 4th one i quit replacing them and started just beating the craters out of them with a ballpeen hammer. my mail box now looks like something out of a saw movie. and since the *******ed county loves playing musical road easments and moving it back and forth about every 30 seconds i'm not gonna waste the time and money building it out of brick, or having a custom welded out of steel.

3) sometimes i like working on my own truck. this sort of thing is sometimes messy and leaves stains. stains on the driveway don't bother me, i realize that is'a freaking driveway and not a dinner plate.

i just flat out don't like the idea of hoa's. the whole concept of a group of people having the ability to tell a man what he can or can't do to his own home and property based on ****** aesthetics offends me to my very core.

i will admit that the idea might help in health based cases where somebody is doing something that can physically spread to your property such as keeping an organic trash pile that attracts rodent and feral animals and such, but the other "rules" are pull bull****.

Last edited by BEER; 07-03-2013 at 19:32..
BEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 22:02   #6
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
1) i work outdoors in the heat, usually doing some sort of manual labor. almost 30 years of doing so has taken it's toll on my body so some weekends i either can't mow the yard, or i just flat out don't feel like it and it gets a little tall.

2) my mailbox is out by the main road. the main road is frequented by ****head teens and jackasses that love to bash mail boxes. after i replaced the 4th one i quit replacing them and started just beating the craters out of them with a ballpeen hammer. my mail box now looks like something out of a saw movie. and since the *******ed county loves playing musical road easments and moving it back and forth about every 30 seconds i'm not gonna waste the time and money building it out of brick, or having a custom welded out of steel.

3) sometimes i like working on my own truck. this sort of thing is sometimes messy and leaves stains. stains on the driveway don't bother me, i realize that is'a freaking driveway and not a dinner plate.

i just flat out don't like the idea of hoa's. the whole concept of a group of people having the ability to tell a man what he can or can't do to his own home and property based on ****** aesthetics offends me to my very core.

i will admit that the idea might help in health based cases where somebody is doing something that can physically spread to your property such as keeping an organic trash pile that attracts rodent and feral animals and such, but the other "rules" are pull bull****.
I'm inclined to agree.

The one time I ever thought another house was enough of a "problem" to be anyone's business, was, well a ****hole.

Yard completely buried in scrap metal. Underage girls wandering in and out of the property at all hours. (wtf?) Loud music all the time. They were known to come over and try to break into the neighbors garage once in awhile (police never did anything in that town) *

The place was eventually condemned if I remember correctly, and the rumor was every place these people ever lived in was condemned.
eccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:18   #7
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
... and since the *******ed county loves playing musical road easments and moving it back and forth about every 30 seconds i'm not gonna waste the time and money building it out of brick, or having a custom welded out of steel.
You don't have to put up with that. Road easement don't just flip flop back and forth. The legal easement is what it is. In most cases that is the edge of the pavement or the edge of the most commonly traveled portion of the road on gravel. This is for county roads and "general" as in all the couties I've ever lived in.

State highway is different but the easement is still what it is and does not change on a whim. The state paid for the property they include in the easement and they own it out right.

County roads as a rule were not purchased but set by general agreement at the convenience of the landowner. The county will take what you ALLOW them to and just act like you owe it to them. You do not.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 13:21   #8
PVolk

Quote:
I don't personally have an opinion. But a buddy of mine in Iowa wanted to buy a third vehicle but couldn't because per HOA rules, he couldn't regularly leave a vehicle parked in his driveway overnight, and he was also not allowed to have a garage larger than a 2-car garage. He explored an electric lift for the garage for parking a 3rd car, but I don't know what came of it. In either event, this situation would have left me extremely bitter with HOA if I were in his shoes. There's nothing wrong with having rules, but some seem overreaching and rediculous.
Old 07-05-2013, 16:30   #9
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
I don't personally have an opinion. But a buddy of mine in Iowa wanted to buy a third vehicle but couldn't because per HOA rules, he couldn't regularly leave a vehicle parked in his driveway overnight, and he was also not allowed to have a garage larger than a 2-car garage. He explored an electric lift for the garage for parking a 3rd car, but I don't know what came of it. In either event, this situation would have left me extremely bitter with HOA if I were in his shoes. There's nothing wrong with having rules, but some seem overreaching and rediculous.
I am basically pro HOA - but I would never move into one that had this type of restriction.

My HOA restricts "work trucks" bigger than a pick up truck.

I know of a guy that drove an 18 wheeler that proclaimed since he was a VET and he had fought for this country - he had the right to park his truck on his property if he wanted.

He lost - he moved -

Some may think he had a right to park his truck / trailer on his driveway, blocking the sidewalk and sticking 3 feet into the street - but his neighbors got tired of looking at it so they complained.

The guy that lived down the street from me also drove an 18 wheeler - he would be gone for a month - then home for a week - he parked the tractor (no trailer) up in his driveway almost out of sight - and no one really cared.

The reasonable thing to do would be read the HOA rules - if you can't live with them don't move into one.

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-05-2013 at 21:15..
Old 07-05-2013, 22:35   #10
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Well....

I've got two trucks out back. One is in a carport, no motor, trans, front end or doors on it. Hasn't been tagged or insured in three or four years. Bunch of spare parts by it to btw.

The other truck is complete and has sat in the back yard for almost three years not tagged or insured, recently started getting this one running.

There's been times I have not mowed in two weeks due to a broken mower.

I will work in the driveway and change oil or do brakes. I've left vehicles on jack stands over night.

In my above post I said I've had wrecked trucks in the yard, I also enjoy a cold one outside, burning a smoke and pissing on my tree.

Doubt I could do any of those with an HOA.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35   #11
cdog533
Zombie Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
This is actually a good point in favor of an HOA. I personally don't want vehicles in people's driveways. Typically, the car sitting outside is the crappiest one. A rusty 92 Camry sitting in a driveway ain't that pretty.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom_Prison View Post
Well....

I've got two trucks out back. One is in a carport, no motor, trans, front end or doors on it. Hasn't been tagged or insured in three or four years. Bunch of spare parts by it to btw.

The other truck is complete and has sat in the back yard for almost three years not tagged or insured, recently started getting this one running.

I will work in the driveway and change oil or do brakes. I've left vehicles on jack stands over night.

In my above post I said I've had wrecked trucks in the yard, I also enjoy a cold one outside, burning a smoke and pissing on my tree.

No, you couldn't do these things. I like working on cars and restoring cars too, but having vehicles in the yard detracts from the whole neighborhood. Especially vehicles in a state of disassembly. So, an HOA stops that. But so long as you are not in an HOA, do whatever you please, it's your property!

It's just a way to keep your neighbors activities in conformity to the typical social standards of the neighborhood. Which keeps everything looking pretty and values up. That's the whole point at the end of the day.

If I lived in the country, I'd have a big pole barn, a bunch of animals, and a shooting range! Maybe a bunch of cars too. But I don't have that option right now.

Last edited by cdog533; 07-06-2013 at 04:40..
cdog533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:19   #12
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsom_Prison View Post
Well....

A few homeowners (me included) do minor auto repairs - no big deal - doing a frame off restoration - in the driveway would be frowned on.

Most people that live in a residential area don't want junk cars in plain view.

Last edited by Z71bill; 07-06-2013 at 06:20..
Old 07-05-2013, 13:12   #13
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighj1 View Post
To each his own...
this +1,000,000

I mean, if you don't like HOA's, don't live in a place with one.

Where I live we have one and it has helped tremendously for the harmony of the arquitectural style, excellent maintenance of parks and security. That has resulted in great added value of the properties.

ETA: I just read the 4 pages of this post and while I'm in favor of MY HOA, some HOA's depicted here are worst than Auschwitz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioKid View Post
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:

Last edited by PuroMexicano; 07-05-2013 at 13:38..
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:29   #14
BEER
bad example

nope. i am adamantly against them, borderline hostile actually.

i'll be damned if i let somebody else dictate what color i paint my home, or what i park in my driveway. you pay my my taxes and make my payments then you can tell me how high my grass can get, until then go **** yourself.
Old 07-03-2013, 17:35   #15
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
Quote:

i'll be damned if i let somebody else dictate what color i paint my home, or what i park in my driveway. you pay my my taxes and make my payments then you can tell me how high my grass can get, until then go **** yourself.
This. Its mine not theirs to tell me what I can and can't do with / on / above my property.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 07-03-2013, 20:50   #16
xArcher

Quote:
Your local code compliance officer can. All it takes is phone call from a neighbor.

Sec. 6.203 Tall Weeds and Grass

It shall be unlawful for the owner of any lot, building, house, establishment or premises in the city to allow or permit weeds, grasses or other growth to grow to a height in excess of eighteen (18) inches without mowing or cutting same. Lots, as regulated herein, shall refer to any lot, tract or parcel of land not exceeding in area five (5) contiguous acres. (Ordinance 448 adopted 6/18/01)
xArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 21:17   #17
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
Your local code compliance officer can. All it takes is phone call from a neighbor.

Sec. 6.203 Tall Weeds and Grass

It shall be unlawful for the owner of any lot, building, house, establishment or premises in the city to allow or permit weeds, grasses or other growth to grow to a height in excess of eighteen (18) inches without mowing or cutting same. Lots, as regulated herein, shall refer to any lot, tract or parcel of land not exceeding in area five (5) contiguous acres. (Ordinance 448 adopted 6/18/01)

if i lived in the city i'd care about that ordinance, but i don't.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20   #18
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

A Nation of Cowards

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and doesn't help your business.
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 22:16   #19
Jakestir

Quote:

I like they way you think.

My family has lived in the same small red neck town for literary 4 generations. A couple houses went up for sale a couple years ago. Well the newbies from the suburbs wanted to start a HOA. Well let's just say it didn't go well.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Jakestir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:02   #20
minnshooter

Quote:

Couldn't have stated my opinion any better than this!
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19   #21
JuneyBooney

Most of the time the HOA's act like Nazi control groups. While they can be of some value most act without reason and common sense. I would never buy a home where a HOA is present.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:10   #22
platform

Quote:

This. Had a dispute. They did not allow motorcycles (not loud, just bought, ). Also they did not let me rent my house to people who had dogs over 20 lib, even though home owners can have those

Basically the HOA represent the perfect case of a slippery slope

Last edited by platform; 07-09-2013 at 02:10..
platform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 23:39   #23
Bow Commander

Regardless of where I live, I will always maintain my home and yard very well. The HOA rules ensure that my neighbors will do the same. The rules don't change how I live, i'm already doing above and beyond what they require because I take pride in it. So for me, I like it. It's basically no dead vehicles sitting in your driveway/yard. Maintain your yard. Don't paint your house an obnoxious color.

My HOA doesn't have dues per year, it is just an agreement signed by any new home owner in the neighborhood.

My well maintained home + surrounded by other well maintained homes= higher property value when I go to sell. This is important to anyone who cares about their investment.

Last edited by Bow Commander; 07-09-2013 at 23:46..
Bow Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:46   #24
zysus

I have a love/hate relationship with mine.

On the Plus: It's good, when in a townhouse, that one bad apple can't sour the place.

On the minus: Political, bureaucratic, inefficient.

I probably won't buy in a neighborhood with an HOA anytime soon. That said, I don't want to have any neighbors either.
zysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:47   #25
Redheadhunter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
Some starting points.

Do you have one where you live?

No, but I work for a property management company right now, they manage HOAs

Are you for or against them?

I'm for them, however I would never want to own in one unless it was a rental property.

Have you ever had a dispute with one? What happened?
Gonna let this one slide

Is any regulation they come up with fair game since the home buyer agreed?

Yes, it's fair game that's why when looking at a home in a HOA you really should talk to the president of the board at the very least.

Communist plot or free market in action?

No plot it's a democracy for the most part, setup so that the homeowners have a voice and the board is supposed to vote on behalf of there beliefs and the community.

Do you think they in some way violate your property rights or not?

Yes they do, but you sign a contract when you move in, so you have notice of what's expected.

Here's my look at HOAs.
1. Great if its a second property you spend little time at or a rental property. They keep you up to date on local things, some places are all common area and your duties as landscaping can be nothing.
2. You know that 99% of the homes are gonna be on a set standard.
3. Good for single mothers or less than handy couples.
4. Quality of HOA depends on original board and how the governing rules were written.
5. A crap board can keep things from getting done and a self managed HOA can be very bad.
6. Usually come with common area and utilities for the people, like a pool, playground, etc.
7. Promotes social interaction between kids or no kids to worry about.
8. Great if you have time to invest in it, but not to good if you like to be left alone.
9. If your into tinkering and having toys and having fun. Stay far away

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is online now   Reply With Quote