Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Is this a muscle car era?
Yes, its the new muscle era 74 52.86%
No, only the originals are true muscle cars. 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2013, 08:06   #1
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Welcome to the greatest muscle car era

What do you think? Is now the greatest muscle car era? Some of the new cars are putting up big HP numbers and speed that make the old muscle cars look much slower. Don't get me wrong, I love old american muscle and restored a 67 RS/SS camaro big block but it is hard to ignore the numbers and performance.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/welcome-...160000076.html
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:12   #2
Batesmotel

Hands down the best cars are made today. Just the refinements in handling make a difference. My wife has a 66 mustang. It is a great car but after a day of hard driving I an worn out. It is fatiguing to drive the older cars compared to the new ones.
Old 06-28-2013, 16:30   #3
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Hands down the best cars are made today. Just the refinements in handling make a difference. My wife has a 66 mustang. It is a great car but after a day of hard driving I an worn out. It is fatiguing to drive the older cars compared to the new ones.
Very true. One of the biggest complaints I hear from pro drivers about the GTR is that it's too easy to drive fast and hard, and doesn't feel enough like you're fighting to keep it under control.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:22   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

My every day driver is a Hemi Charger. Yeah, I'm liking this throw back stuff.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35   #5
69HEMI-R/T

the main problem with today's musclecars is cost! Yeah, NEW musclecars were relatively expensive back in the old days but a 2 to 3 year old car was certainly cheap enough and you could work on them yourself.
Today's musclecars are certainly better in almost every way compared to the original musclecars of the past but how many do you see in teenage of early '20 year old hands with someone "souping" them up in their driveway?

To Herrglock: If you drive one of those new 4-DOOR cars Dodge foolishly calls a "Charger" , It ain't a Charger! Chargers were only made with 2 doors! Here is a REAL Hemicharger!

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69HEMI-R/T View Post
To Herrglock: If you drive one of those new 4-DOOR cars Dodge foolishly calls a "Charger" , It ain't a Charger! Chargers were only made with 2 doors! Here is a REAL Hemicharger!
How silly of me. It had a Dodge sticker price on it, says Hemi on the engine, has Charger markings on it. You're right, I'm sure it's a Pinto.

I had a '71 Duster and yeah, I'm old enough that kids my age had the late '60s/early '70s cars in HS and college. I like my current Charger better than pretty much any pony or muscle car I grew up with.

Last edited by HerrGlock; 06-26-2013 at 08:40..
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:46   #7
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
......a 2 to 3 year old car was certainly cheap enough and you could work on them yourself.....but how many do you see in teenage of early '20 year old hands with someone "souping" them up in their driveway?
Current muscle cars are even easier to work on.

Long-tube headers, performance cats, axle-back exhaust, X and H pipes, intake/CAI systems, are all very easy to install. If I added a super-charger and up-graded fuel injectors (or any other combo of performance up-grades), tuning the engine is simply a matter of having Bamatunes e-mail me the proper tune, and me loading it into the car.

Hell, I could have one of 9 different tunes on my car in 10 or so minutes from now.

Then there are all of the suspension, wheel & tire, and brake system up-grades, plus the usual LSDs and drive-shafts and such.

And sorry to say, but 20 somethings are not anymore likely to have a real muscle car now, than they were back in the 1960s. It's not a question of age, but money.

Modern cars are actually very easy to work on. The death of the carb has been a blessing, with tuning a car to run correctly with after-market up-grades a simple matter of a down-load.
The Okie Corral

Last edited by M&P15T; 06-26-2013 at 09:16..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 20:15   #8
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Current muscle cars are even easier to work on.

Long-tube headers, performance cats, axle-back exhaust, X and H pipes, intake/CAI systems, are all very easy to install. If I added a super-charger and up-graded fuel injectors (or any other combo of performance up-grades), tuning the engine is simply a matter of having Bamatunes e-mail me the proper tune, and me loading it into the car.

Hell, I could have one of 9 different tunes on my car in 10 or so minutes from now.

Then there are all of the suspension, wheel & tire, and brake system up-grades, plus the usual LSDs and drive-shafts and such.

And sorry to say, but 20 somethings are not anymore likely to have a real muscle car now, than they were back in the 1960s. It's not a question of age, but money.

Modern cars are actually very easy to work on. The death of the carb has been a blessing, with tuning a car to run correctly with after-market up-grades a simple matter of a down-load.
The Okie Corral
I wish I could agree with you, but have you installed longtubes or a blower in a modern day car? I did it with my ws6 and I've done it on my 99 cobra with a dohc 4.6.(03 cobra heads with a mach 1 aluminum block with forged rotating assembly). The cobra has longtubes, high flow cats(soon to be carless), bbk h pipe and magnaflow catback . (ported/polished lower intake, 4.10 gears, jlt cai, alum driveshaft, dynotuned,I have a SCT tuner and do some of it myself, but the base tune was done by a pro on a dyno). Your 5.0 is almost the same as my 4.6 motor, just a slightly bigger bore and stroke, both are dual overhead cam motors though. Take a look under your valve(cam) covers( if you can even get them off). The motor has to be raised and half the crap in the engine bay has to be disconnected/removed just to get valve covers off.
Longtubes you might as well just pull the motor, that's how bad it is, literally. Not only that, to remove the tranny say to just replace the clutch, the longtubes have to be removed because of the bell housing(the t-45 doesn't have a removable bellhousing, yours may be OK), so, pull the motor again. The IRS on the cobras means that if I want to even pull my diff cover off to change rear fluid or whatever(or if the cover starts leaking), the entire damn rear pumpkin needs to be dropped, making an old 10 minute job into an all day project.
This blower is gonna be just as bad, I've already started somewhat, got everything together just need to get my intercooler piping finished.
And tuning from a mail order tune will result in a new motor if its not SPOT on, and that's impossible without a dyno. Pretty much a dyno tune is necessary if you don't want to eventually pay 7000+ for a motor. (My forged aluminator long block was about 6000, I'd imagine your newer 5.0 would be almost that for a shortblock.
Not totally disagreeing with you, but I've don't all of this work myself, and I have all the tools to do it, the knowledge to do it and a lift if need be and little projects always turn into major things cause there is just no room in the engine bays anymore.
Then with our cars the over head cam puts a new twist on things if you've never worked on one.
It will be all worth it though in a few months when its putting down 650 to the wheels(hopefully)
Nice 5.0 btw- the only newer body mustang I like, they finally made them good looking again IMO. They don't look so bloated as the other newer body styles, Shelby's included.
My 99 cobra-The Okie Corral
Engine bay with new forged motor(don't mind rusty coolant crossover, it will be gone when the blower is finished)-try getting longtubes in there, underneath isn't much better
The Okie Corral
Vortech I'll be putting in soon, around 14lb of boost-The Okie Corral

Last edited by di11igaf; 07-21-2013 at 20:25..
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26   #9
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by di11igaf View Post
I wish I could agree with you, but have you installed longtubes or a blower in a modern day car? I did it with my ws6 and I've done it on my 99 cobra with a dohc 4.6.(03 cobra heads with a mach 1 aluminum block with forged rotating assembly)...
The Okie Corral
Looks mighty busy in there. Post a pic once the Vortec is up and running. The car should be amazing with 14 lbs of boost.

My BMW 335is runs 14.5 lbs and it explodes into it's power band. Though both have the same 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission, the 335is shifts much harder than the M3 under WOT.

For clarification: Normally aspirated 4.0 liter, 421 hp V8 M3. Very linear power response.
The Okie Corral

Twin Turbo 378 hp 3.0 liter, I-6 BMW 335is. Scary power response.
The Okie Corral

Both cars have been Dinaned a little. The M3 has the Dinan Performance Engine Software. The 335is has the Stage 2 Performance Engine Software/Boost Upgrade - IS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
the main problem with today's musclecars is cost! Yeah, NEW musclecars were relatively expensive back in the old days but a 2 to 3 year old car was certainly cheap enough and you could work on them yourself.
Today's musclecars are certainly better in almost every way compared to the original musclecars of the past but how many do you see in teenage of early '20 year old hands with someone "souping" them up in their driveway?

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
__
Old 06-26-2013, 21:53   #11
Tow/Repo
CLM Number 225
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Good thing you have a wind deflector on the trailer to help pull that brick.

Beautiful car LOVE the red lines
Tow/Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:25   #12
clarkz71

Quote:

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
That's a real Charger. Nice.
The new Charger with 4 doors?? Come on.

And the 426 was a real Hemi combustion chamber.
Not so on the current version.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 13:48   #13
JimIsland

Quote:

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
So because it has 4 doors it's foolish looking?? I love the old 2 door Chargers and actually had one in High School. Currently my 'foolish" looking Charger SRT-8 runs low 11s in the quarter, seating for 5, large trunk, and at over 4000#s handles remarkably well. Brembro brakes are standard and it's loaded with airbags, Nav, Kicker stereo, etc....If I had wanted a 2 door, I would have bought a Challenger.

Last edited by JimIsland; 06-27-2013 at 13:50..
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 13:52   #14
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
My every day driver is a Hemi Charger. Yeah, I'm liking this throw back stuff.
But is it the big hem or the little hemi? Cop cars have the little hemi and while they run nicely they won't run with the larger hemi. Old cars are more muscular in performance but the newer cars have radial tires and better shocks etc. But Coolness is older cars. To me all people look the same now and cars do too....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24   #15
The Hawk

I agree. Not only can you get high HP straight from dealership, but mpg is up as well.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27   #16
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
I agree. Not only can you get high HP straight from dealership, but mpg is up as well.
This is true and FAR higher reliability
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31   #17
ArtyGuy

It is hard to debate the numbers of today (thanks to technology not available previously). I do love the current Camaro (I talk myself out of buying one at least once every two weeks) but I still gravitate to the older muscle cars. I just think they look so damn cool.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05   #18
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
It is hard to debate the numbers of today (thanks to technology not available previously). I do love the current Camaro (I talk myself out of buying one at least once every two weeks) but I still gravitate to the older muscle cars. I just think they look so damn cool.
I am with you
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14   #19
Cashgap

Actually, performance is cheaper now than "back in the day".

1968 Hemi Charger sticker was $4,821. That's $32,271 in 2013 dollars. Easy to beat the Charger in every category for that price today.

And you'll have a faster car that handles so much better, is so much safer, more reliable, easier to repair, holds value better, etc.

But I also like the vibe of the '60s vehicles. You look at something that was built with all the structural integrity and attention to detail of a food truck burrito, and people drove 'em like they were rockets!!!

Last edited by Cashgap; 06-26-2013 at 09:17..
Cashgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32   #20
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Oh, I don't know. I bought a 68 Dodge Dart 340 six pack and 4 speed, It would run right at 12 flat in the quarter in the mid teens. The front end was loose so it cornered kind of twitchy. I paid 175 dollars for it.