Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2013, 20:40   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Astronaut Ice Cream

Does anyone store Astronaut Ice Cream?

I am looking for a different snack for my long, hot bicycle rides.
I might also stock some for hard times.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:09   #2
Aceman

Took it hunting last fall. IS it a treat? Sure. Would it store? Yes. Awesome - not really.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43   #3
MikeNH

It seemed good when I was a kid, haven't tried it since.
MikeNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02   #4
lavon_andy

It's expensive for what it is, dont see that it's worth it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
lavon_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Heat is the question.

If I take it on an all day bicycle ride in 90+ degree F temps, what will it be like at the end of the trail?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00   #6
Mr.Pliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Heat is the question.

If I take it on an all day bicycle ride in 90+ degree F temps, what will it be like at the end of the trail?
Still rock hard Ice cream. Temps dont really effect it that I can tell. WM had it on clearance for $1 so I bought them out because I thought my 5yo would like it. It spent the next week in the trunk of my wifes car at 100 to 110 degree temps. I found it the next time we got groceries and we opened it up and had some, same taste and texture that I remember.
Mr.Pliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:44   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
Still rock hard Ice cream. Temps dont really effect it that I can tell. WM had it on clearance for $1 so I bought them out because I thought my 5yo would like it. It spent the next week in the trunk of my wifes car at 100 to 110 degree temps. I found it the next time we got groceries and we opened it up and had some, same taste and texture that I remember.
Thank you, that is what I needed to know.

I bought some along with other dehydrated stuff from Nuts.com. 3 bars for 4.99, comes to 1.66 per bar.

As I said, I am just looking for something different that travels well. The problem with eating too much dehydrated fruit is the need to carry more TP.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29   #8
lavon_andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
$1 a piece is a great deal! I usually see them at $5-$7 a piece which is ridiculous!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
lavon_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57   #9
ranger1968

It travels beautifully; it's freeze-dried, so temp really doesn't affect it much.

We keep some around, and back when we used to do a lot of hiking/tent camping we always took some with us, since it's pretty much weightless, pakes easily, and makes a nice dessert for the trail.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:50   #10
98LS-WON

Stoopwafels are an awesome bike riding food for long rides, World Market usually has them. If not, REI has Honey Stingers Waffels which are the same thing, just cost a lot more.
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LS-WON View Post
Stoopwafels are an awesome bike riding food for long rides, World Market usually has them. If not, REI has Honey Stingers Waffels which are the same thing, just cost a lot more.
How do you pack them?

I would think they would be crumbs by the time I get to my final destination.
Old 05-18-2013, 23:01   #12
98LS-WON

They are actually kind of chewy so they dont crumble apart. I just put them in a 1qt ziplock, roll the top down so it stays open and put it in one of the side/back pockets of my jersey. If you don't ride in a jersey, you might be able stash them somewhere accessible depending on how your bike is set up.
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 20:33   #13
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

If you're talking about he ice cream sandwiches I've had them. They are ok, but the cookie part, in my experience, can end up in a lot of pieces by the time it is consumed if it is rough handled (as most of my stuff usually is!). The flavor is ok, but it's weird eating hot ice cream.
Old 02-11-2014, 20:06   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I bought the dehydrated ice cream. It didn't melt in the heat. It was not that great. It was just ok.