GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2013, 18:42   #1
vyper005

Your bedside Glock...Loaded or unloaded ??

I'm pretty sure I will get some grief for this but I keep my 21SF in a small safe next to my bed with the magazines loaded but not in the gun. I've always felt most comfortable and safest doing it this way. Thank God nothing has happened to me or my family for me to test the time it takes to load the pistol and be totally prepared for a confrontation. Just curious, what is the set-up for your bedside gun ?? I've heard some people sleep with a loaded gun underneath their pillow...yikes !!
vyper005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 18:46   #2
MSDGlock

G30SF with a TLR-1S attached loaded with one in the pipe and a spare magazine. All in a bedside biometric pistol safe. I believe each person should do what makes them most comfortable.
MSDGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 18:51   #3
Ferdinandd

On occasions when I keep a pistol handy at night, it has a magazine in the well, hammer down on an empty chamber. I keep it within arm's reach, maybe in a drawer as I have no safe.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 19:35   #4
ignantmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinandd View Post
On occasions when I keep a pistol handy at night, it has a magazine in the well, hammer down on an empty chamber. I keep it within arm's reach, maybe in a drawer as I have no safe.

me as well.....
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 18:54   #5
Tadpole9497

I sleep with my G22 Gen 4 in my hand, one in the pipe, under the pillow. Nightmares get interesting!

No, I actually keep it on the night stand, mag in, empty pipe, spare mag next to it.
Tadpole9497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 18:07   #6
baximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole9497 View Post
I sleep with my G22 Gen 4 in my hand, one in the pipe, under the pillow. Nightmares get interesting!

No, I actually keep it on the night stand, mag in, empty pipe, spare mag next to it.

my setup exactly
baximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53   #7
JuneyBooney

Quote:

I keep my Sig loaded within reach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39   #8
silencio

Quote:

Strange,I do the same EXACT thing.Could we be related??Only thing different is my G22 is a 2nd Generation.Looking forward to a 10 millimeter or perhaps a more compact Glock 23 for CC.
Old 05-13-2013, 18:55   #9
DaneA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinandd View Post

This ^^ and a spare mag next to it since my bedside is a 1911.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 18:57   #10
99z

I have my Gen 3 G22 loaded with a round in the chamber next to the bed with a small flashlight next to that and another fully loaded mag. I also live alone so that might not work for everybody but my thinking is that if something does happen i can get to my weapon quickly and its good to go, no second guessing if its loaded or not because its always loaded.
Old 11-25-2013, 17:32   #11
bobcatseger

I keep my G21 gen4 right next to me..........mag inserted, empty chamber.....
bobcatseger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 18:57   #12
Nagoya10

Try loading a pistol in the middle of the night after being awaken out of a sound sleep with the fear and adrenaline pumping. Might as well be a monkey trying to "have coitus" with a football. The pistol will be useless.
Old 07-19-2013, 17:50   #13
SIG-SOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya10 View Post
Try loading a pistol in the middle of the night after being awaken out of a sound sleep with the fear and adrenaline pumping. Might as well be a monkey trying to "have coitus" with a football. The pistol will be useless.
Try opening a safe under the same conditions.
SIG-SOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 17:52   #14
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
My opinion:

If you aren't mentally sound enough to rack the slide, you aren't mentally sound enough to be handling a loaded firearm anyway.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 18:59   #15
Skippie

Quote:
I second this one

Sent from my MB860 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Skippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 18:39   #16
Benton

Quote:
Excellent answer and to the point.

OP, read this again and again.
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 20:53   #17
jbourneidentity

Quote:

I respectfully but strongly disagree. If anything, being required to do a tap & rack beforehand helps clear the cob-webs from my head. I understand that not everyone sleeps as lightly as I do, but on more than one occasion at night, I've had go to my gun, and it is surprisingly fast.

On one particular night, we had a loud crash in our house and I was absolutely certain that someone had kicked open the door and forced entry. I kept a Kimber TLE/RL II stainless 1911 with empty chamber, hammer at half cock, with a full magazine inserted under the edge of the bed out of sight. When I heard the crash, I immediately jumped out of bed at the same time that I grabbed the 1911 (I had the gun positioned so that my right hand would naturally go directly to the grip), racked the slide, swept the safety into the on position and covered the hallway. It was later determined that a China cabinet had collapsed and there was no intruder. My wife later commented that she never imagined I could move that fast and get my defensive handgun into action so quickly. I'm not at all bragging. I'm just saying that it can be done. Rehearse it and give it a try. You'll surprise yourself.
jbourneidentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:20   #18
Kumowarrior
NRA Life Member

You know, I don't know why but that was the ...

I really don't know why but that was one of the funniest things I read in a long time and completely agree...

I keep my Glock in a "GunVault" (manual combination pad) loaded and one in the tube. I also have the Glock Tec MIC holster on it. So I key the code, door slams open, grab the gun, and by then am fully awake but holding a safe gun due to the MIC holster covering and securing the entire trigger housing, if it is necessary to continue a quick yank on the MIC holster lanyard and am ready to go. A lot quicker than having to feel for a mag, grab a mag, slam the mag, rack the slide and present. (am also grabbing the Fenix PD35 with disruptive strobe.)

Gun under the pillow? Not such a good idea I think.

In home defense, your gun needs to be safe but it needs to be quick to bring to bear at the ready.

=
Quote:

Member: USCCA
Remember, Hitler was a liberal
There are no atheists in fox holes
Kumowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 15:10   #19
boilergonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumowarrior View Post
A lot quicker than having to feel for a mag, grab a mag, slam the mag, rack the slide and present...
=
Having a loaded mag in the gun, but no round in the chamber is a lot different than fumbling with a magazine while in the dark. I think most who do not chamber are suggesting a quick rack of the slide to chamber a round (with the mag already in firearm, which is as fast or faster than some of the things you mention that you do).

Not saying one is right or wrong, just pointing out that "not in the chamber" doesn't mean the mags are out, locked in a different room, unloaded with loose ammo in the bottom of a drawer, etc.
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 17:02   #20
Kumowarrior
NRA Life Member

Did I say that...

I did not say that I do all those steps, it was an example of what someone would have to do if the gun is not ready to fire and the mag is separate from the magwell. Even having to take the step of racking may be too late to defend. In such cases one needs to be ready especially if the attacker is within arms reach, to use your finger weapons, or teeth weapons to disable or kill your attacker. Self-defense implies immediate action and the fewer steps one is forced to take the better position he will be in. If a gun is in a GunVault with the four finger combo, IMHO it should be ready to fire the moment it is cleared from the Vault... OF COURSE one would need to fully identify their target and not fire until the target is fully identified. That is why I also have a Fenix PD35 at the ready as well.

=
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilergonzo View Post
Having a loaded mag in the gun, but no round in the chamber is a lot different than fumbling with a magazine while in the dark. I think most who do not chamber are suggesting a quick rack of the slide to chamber a round (with the mag already in firearm, which is as fast or faster than some of the things you mention that you do).

Not saying one is right or wrong, just pointing out that "not in the chamber" doesn't mean the mags are out, locked in a different room, unloaded with loose ammo in the bottom of a drawer, etc.

Member: USCCA
Remember, Hitler was a liberal
There are no atheists in fox holes
Kumowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote