SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2013, 14:46   #1
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Officer's Choice?

So last week I had a JBT illegally following me for a couple of miles, then pulled me over for no reason whatsoever, and

Just kidding. I recently saw a sheriff's deputy getting in his car and noticed he had a revolver on his hip. This was in a very sparsely populated county in the midwest, so obviously not a large department, but I still thought it was odd. My question is in 2013, do you have any choice in what you carry? If not now, was there ever a time when you could, and how long ago?
Old 04-22-2013, 14:56   #2
ateamer
NRA4EVR

My agency switched from revolvers to Glocks in 1990. We have no choice in what we carry, except in that plainclothes deputies can be authorized to carry something else. Since that took effect, we have one guy carrying a 1911 and one with a Browning Hi-Power. I hope it leads to giving all personnel a choice. I'd still carry a Glock 22, though.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:00   #3
SPDSNYPR
Zippy's Friend.

We carry the issued pistol (Glock) for uniform patrol - no choice.
Old 04-22-2013, 15:19   #4
boomhower

Duty weapons are issued with no choice but you can carry a BUG of your choice. They've issued for years, back into the 80s with revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:19   #5
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Some agencies allow choice of carry. I still see a handful of old timers at court jobs with their revolvers. To each their own - more ammo the better for me. It's nostalgic and brings a smile to my face, but I would not be comfortable with that many rounds.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:22   #6
countrygun

Back in the late 1970's the Clackamas County (Oregon) still had a "If you can qualify with it, you can carry it" policy. They even made exceptions in the qualifications for certain assignments and skill sets. There was a Deputy, who worked in the most isolated district who was cleared for a Ruger Blackhawk.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01   #7
Pepper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Back in the late 1970's the Clackamas County (Oregon) still had a "If you can qualify with it, you can carry it" policy. They even made exceptions in the qualifications for certain assignments and skill sets. There was a Deputy, who worked in the most isolated district who was cleared for a Ruger Blackhawk.
Currently one deputy carries a .357, I think it's a S&W 686+. That deputy is set to retire, he's currently working at the courthouse in their civil division. Good guy, he got into a shooting in the mid 80's, and his newfangled automatic jammed on him, and he had to kill the guy with his BUG .38. He's been a revolver fan since then.

My agency theoretically allows personally owned handguns, but some firearms instructor got butthurt about not being consulted on some portion of the policy, so he made a stink, and now the agency has to supply both practice and duty ammo, and there's no money in the budget, and the availability is a challenge. He effectively killed the policy. Personally owned rifles are allowed if the armorer signs off on it, and it's approved by the chief.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:39   #8
ClydeG19

Can carry whatever we want in 9mm, 10mm, 45, 45 gap, 40, and 357sig. The only caveat is that our firearms instructor needs to ok it. So basically it has to be a non-crappy brand.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:48   #9
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeG19 View Post
Can carry whatever we want in 9mm, 10mm, 45, 45 gap, 40, and 357sig. The only caveat is that our firearms instructor needs to ok it. So basically it has to be a non-crappy brand.
Interesting. Once you make your choice, how difficult is it for you to change your mind? Let's say you got a 357 sig okayed by the instructor, but for whatever reason you want to switch to 40. Since the 357 was already cleared, could you potentially go back whenever you wanted? As an extreme example, could you carry a different caliber for each day?
Old 04-22-2013, 20:13   #10
ClydeG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock1911revolver View Post
Interesting. Once you make your choice, how difficult is it for you to change your mind? Let's say you got a 357 sig okayed by the instructor, but for whatever reason you want to switch to 40. Since the 357 was already cleared, could you potentially go back whenever you wanted? As an extreme example, could you carry a different caliber for each day?
No idea. We all carry our issued Glock 22 anyway. I suppose I should have mentioned that.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:45   #11
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Any semi-auto in .40 or .45 (because that is the ammo the agency buys) that one of our certified firearms instructors approves.

Any BUG you want (and qualify with)

Any 12 guage that is approved (name brand pump, semi auto)

Any approved (again, name brand) AR type in 5.56.

Some also qualify with an .308, either bolt or semi with glass.

You can also draw an agency AR (bushmaster) or 12 guage (1200)

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:46   #12
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Any semi-auto in .40 or .45 (because that is the ammo the agency buys) that one of our certified firearms instructors approves.

Any BUG you want (and qualify with)

Any 12 guage that is approved (name brand pump, semi auto)

Any approved (again, name brand) AR type in 5.56.

Some also qualify with an .308, either bolt or semi with glass.

You can also draw an agency AR (bushmaster) or 12 guage (1200)
Do you work at the Heaven P.D.?

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29   #13
Moravia

Department issued Glock 22 only. We can purchase a Glock 22, 23, or 27 for off duty. Command can approve the carry of your off duty (mostly detectives carrying 27s) while on duty. There is a paragraph in our Orders that states we can carry a Sig 2034 or a Smith and Wesson 4006 for off duty but that is being phased out. No rifles. Remington 870 for shotgun (department issue). Also, NO BUG allowed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Moravia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47   #14
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegasdaddy View Post
Do you work at the Heaven P.D.?
Almost....almost.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

Old 04-24-2013, 08:53   #15
MoCop

All sworn personnel carries a Sig P229R in .40. Doesn't matter what detail you're assigned to. My Department will allow personally owned ar15s as long as they are inspected and approved by the dept. armorer. Back up gun can be anything 38/.380 up to .45acp. Off duty is the same as the BUG policy. Not to bad if I say so myself.
Old 04-22-2013, 15:50   #16
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Pistol wise full timers are issued a Sig in 40 cal. Us reserves are allowed anything as long as it is 40 cal.

Rifle wise I carry my Colt.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 04-22-2013, 16:10   #17
texmex

We supply our own and can carry a quality manufactured 38-45 plus FN 5.7 for plain clothes, 357-45 plus FN 5.7 for uniform. I'm the last one carrying a revolver. The rest carry 1911 45, Glock 45, Glock 357, FN 5.7 or Sig 40. I generally carry a Smith 627 Pro Series 8 shot 357 4 ". Sometimes I carry a 627 Performance Center 8 shot 357 2.5" or a Smith 640 Pro Series 5 shot 357 2". A Ruger LCR 357 is my bug. I'm mostly plainclothes but wear a uniform occasionally. I drive an unmarked Tahoe.

I have several 1911s and a few Glocks. They are tempting, but the revolver shoots where I am looking. Revolvers also seem faster for me to get off an accurate first shot, but that may be just that I am more used to a revolver. 8 rounds of 357 Magnum compares pretty well to 9 rounds of 45 in a 1911. On my belt right now are three 8 shot 5 star speed loaders and three 8 shot moon clips. If I'm not carrying a 357, it is usually a Smith 325 4" 45ACP Thunder Ranch or a Smith 325 2.75" Nightguard 45 ACP. The 357s hold more ammo but the 45s are faster to reload. 357 usually has better barrier penetration and I have been in situations where that was important. Autos seem to encourage spray and pray. Situations like Major Nidal at Fort Hood or the shootout that Waterstown et al had with the Boston Bombers sometimes make one think about firepower. I guess that is why all of our units are issued an AR-15 and lots of magazines. Most agencies in my area do not approve revolvers anymore. If I had to switch, it would probably be to a 1911 so not much increase in firepower. 1911 magazines are so delicate compared to speed loaders!
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 16:12   #18
Ohio Copper

Saw a Chicago PD officer at O'Hare airport rocking a revolver.

The last few guys who were carrying revolvers around here retired recently. Still see some of the old timers and their weaver stance at the range for retired quals.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 16:32   #19
ede
Bama's Friend

I was in Rosedale, MS (Google Crossroads Robet Johnson, interesting story) few years ago for work. Each day I ate lunch at a small diner at the crossroad and two depuities would eat there. One carried a Kimber in a cheap slide holster and other a S&W revolver. Neither wore a duty belt, cuffs, or spare ammo. That was the last revolver I seen someone carry on duty.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 16:55   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I do not see Peace Officers around here with wheelguns but I do see a security guard with one from time to time. In particular, some of the armored car guys.

Last edited by Rabbi; 04-22-2013 at 16:55..