GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 13:12   #1
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
First encounter with LEO while carrying today - not very pleasant...

Could have been worse though, but yeah.. this is not cool..

I was shopping at a clothing store known for cheap prices.

NEVER AGAIN will I attempt to shop there after this.....

I ask the woman at the counter to use the dressing room so I can look at the tag of my pants that I am wearing, so I can find out exactly which size I need to get for the shorts that I want to buy.

as I'm in the dressing room, I take off my belt & lay my holstered weapon down on the bench, then I spin around and try to check the tag size in the mirror.


After figuring out what size my current pants were so I could get 1 size larger on the shorts, I put my belt back on, put the holster back on, etc.

As I leave the dressing room, this lady tells me "I know what you're doing in there, and the cops are on the way!"

I ask her "what am I doing? I haven't done anything wrong" - she says "We KNOW you're shoving items down your pants, we heard you take the belt off!"

I reply, "no maam, I took my belt off because I have my CWP and I needed to remove my holster - I have nothing down my pants at all."

She says "sure, whatever you say - you can tell it to the cops when they get here!"

So the cops walk in, I hand him my license and my permit. He asks if I am carrying right now, I tell him yes sir.


He secures my weapon. I then tell him he can gladly come in the dressing room with me, and I will strip down to my boxers so he can see that I have NOT shoved anything down my pants. He follows me in, but doesn't have me do that.


He had me spread my legs & he just checked like that.

So then we walk outside to finish talking after I obviously had not stolen anything. On the way out, the cop tells me - why did you bring this in here, didn't you see the sign on the door?


I tell him sir, there is no sign on the door - if there was I would have left this in my car, I never would have ever brought it inside.


We get out front and he says "oh, you're right.. there is not a sign on the door"


So anyway.. even after everything checked out, the cop places my Glock, my magazine, my spare magazine and my knife in the trunk of my car - but he kept the round that I had in the chamber..

What gives?

Those are very expensive rounds.. not to mention you can't even find them anywhere right now.


That is not cool to treat a law-abiding citizen like this..

I even showed the woman my cash in my wallet and told her maam, I am here to spend money - NOT shoplift, as I was waiting on the police.

Again.. WOW is all I can say right now..


I just wanted to get some shorts with belt loops so I can carry in comfort - nothing more.


I am still pretty shook up about this.. as I told the officers, that was my first encounter with LEO's while carrying.. I had done nothing wrong at all.. This is crazy dude.
__________________
….(\_/)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:17   #2
6StringGeek
full-time n00b
 
6StringGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 366
I'm just an armchair QB, but I think the cop did you a favor by NOT making you strip down. Keeping the round was weird...maybe he's out of ammo, too?
__________________

6StringGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:19   #3
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
I'm just an armchair QB, but I think the cop did you a favor by NOT making you strip down. Keeping the round was weird...maybe he's out of ammo, too?
I don't know.. He racked the slide in the store after removing the magazine and it fell on the floor.

I don't know if he picked it up or not, I was too nervous to even notice.

I just highly doubt that an officer would leave that in the store.

So why return my magazines but not that one round?

This sucks. Now I had to replace that chambered round with one from my spare magazine, then replace that one from the spare magazine with a FMJ.

As for doing me a favor by not making me strip down, it wouldn't have bothered me - I have nothing to hide!!

Should I call the sheriff's office & ask? Or just forget about it? Or what?
__________________
….(\_/)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 13:21..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28   #4
SouthernBoyVA
Senior Member
 
SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western Prince William County, VA
Posts: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
I don't know.. He racked the slide in the store after removing the magazine and it fell on the floor.

I don't know if he picked it up or not, I was too nervous to even notice.

I just highly doubt that an officer would leave that in the store.

So why return my magazines but not that one round?

This sucks. Now I had to replace that chambered round with one from my spare magazine, then replace that one from the spare magazine with a FMJ.

As for doing me a favor by not making me strip down, it wouldn't have bothered me - I have nothing to hide!!

Should I call the sheriff's office & ask? Or just forget about it? Or what?
I strongly suggest you lose this attitude. Police look for this and will take advantage of people who think this way. Remember, they're looking for bodies and on fishing expeditions.
__________________
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 14:38   #5
vettely
Senior Member
 
vettely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
I strongly suggest you lose this attitude. Police look for this and will take advantage of people who think this way. Remember, they're looking for bodies and on fishing expeditions.
That Sir, is straight up bull ****!
__________________
N.R.A. Life Member

Last edited by RussP; 04-21-2013 at 19:34.. Reason: spell out word to activate word filter
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 17:44   #6
SouthernBoyVA
Senior Member
 
SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western Prince William County, VA
Posts: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
That Sir, is straight up bull ****!
Oh really?
__________________
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Last edited by RussP; 04-21-2013 at 19:34.. Reason: Spell out word to activate word filter
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:14   #7
misunderestimated
Senior Member
 
misunderestimated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ashamed to live in NY
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
I'm just an armchair QB, but I think the cop did you a favor by NOT making you strip down. Keeping the round was weird...maybe he's out of ammo, too?
I bet he secured it in his pocket and completely forgot about it. Any time I shed a round I Place it in my pocket immediately for safe keeping.
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:30   #8
misunderestimated
Senior Member
 
misunderestimated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ashamed to live in NY
Posts: 1,194
Its always a little nerve wracking having what we all hope is a friendly encounter with a LEO when your armed. I would say things went great for you.You both went home safe, You were not drawn upon with a giant dramatic event in a store.

Chalk it up as a safe lesson learned.

First let me say I don't think you did anything wrong. I can tell you what I do.I never do anything that could be connived as not normal behavior. You are probably the first person ever to ask her to go into the changing room with out clothes to try on and in her mind that made her feel you were doing something bad. Keep this in mind in the future, try not to do anything that is not normal when you have a gun you want to try and blend in and almost become invisible.
Better luck in the future but I think you came out better then you might think.
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:52   #9
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
Its always a little nerve wracking having what we all hope is a friendly encounter with a LEO when your armed. I would say things went great for you.You both went home safe, You were not drawn upon with a giant dramatic event in a store.

Chalk it up as a safe lesson learned.

First let me say I don't think you did anything wrong. I can tell you what I do.I never do anything that could be connived as not normal behavior. You are probably the first person ever to ask her to go into the changing room with out clothes to try on and in her mind that made her feel you were doing something bad. Keep this in mind in the future, try not to do anything that is not normal when you have a gun you want to try and blend in and almost become invisible.
Better luck in the future but I think you came out better then you might think.
Definitely, like I said.. I know things could have went a lot worse.

I didn't really think about that (the not going in to the dressing room with clothes thing) so I suppose that could explain it..

BUT the problem there, is that I told her up front the reason why I wanted to go in - just to check the tag on my current pants so I know which size shorts to get, to make sure they are going to be 1 size larger.

The really strange part about this, is I used to work with this lady like 6 years ago at a different store.

When I approached her to ask to use the dressing room, she was all smiles! She said "hey, how have you been! Don't I know you from somewhere?"

I told her "yeah! we used to work together, remember?"

And everything was fine!! Up until I exited the dressing room, at which point I was accused of "shoving items down my pants!"

LOL I mean wtf? I don't know what to make of that..

Bipolar, much??

Anyway - yeah I spoke with the corporate office and I filed a complaint about her and explained the entire situation.

They couldn't believe their ears either.
__________________
….(\_/)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 15:53..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26   #10
SouthernBoyVA
Senior Member
 
SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western Prince William County, VA
Posts: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
I'm just an armchair QB, but I think the cop did you a favor by NOT making you strip down. Keeping the round was weird...maybe he's out of ammo, too?
Why? Where's the probably cause?
__________________
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:20   #11
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 46,003
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Could have been worse though, but yeah.. this is not cool..

I was shopping at a clothing store known for cheap prices.

NEVER AGAIN will I attempt to shop there after this.....

I ask the woman at the counter to use the dressing room so I can look at the tag of my pants that I am wearing, so I can find out exactly which size I need to get for the shorts that I want to buy.

as I'm in the dressing room, I take off my belt & lay my holstered weapon down on the bench, then I spin around and try to check the tag size in the mirror.


After figuring out what size my current pants were so I could get 1 size larger on the shorts, I put my belt back on, put the holster back on, etc.

As I leave the dressing room, this lady tells me "I know what you're doing in there, and the cops are on the way!"

I ask her "what am I doing? I haven't done anything wrong" - she says "We KNOW you're shoving items down your pants, we heard you take the belt off!"

I reply, "no maam, I took my belt off because I have my CWP and I needed to remove my holster - I have nothing down my pants at all."

She says "sure, whatever you say - you can tell it to the cops when they get here!"

So the cops walk in, I hand him my license and my permit. He asks if I am carrying right now, I tell him yes sir.


He secures my weapon. I then tell him he can gladly come in the dressing room with me, and I will strip down to my boxers so he can see that I have NOT shoved anything down my pants. He follows me in, but doesn't have me do that.


He had me spread my legs & he just checked like that.

So then we walk outside to finish talking after I obviously had not stolen anything. On the way out, the cop tells me - why did you bring this in here, didn't you see the sign on the door?


I tell him sir, there is no sign on the door - if there was I would have left this in my car, I never would have ever brought it inside.


We get out front and he says "oh, you're right.. there is not a sign on the door"


So anyway.. even after everything checked out, the cop places my Glock, my magazine, my spare magazine and my knife in the trunk of my car - but he kept the round that I had in the chamber..

What gives?

Those are very expensive rounds.. not to mention you can't even find them anywhere right now.


That is not cool to treat a law-abiding citizen like this..

I even showed the woman my cash in my wallet and told her maam, I am here to spend money - NOT shoplift, as I was waiting on the police.

Again.. WOW is all I can say right now..


I just wanted to get some shorts with belt loops so I can carry in comfort - nothing more.


I am still pretty shook up about this.. as I told the officers, that was my first encounter with LEO's while carrying.. I had done nothing wrong at all.. This is crazy dude.
Have you called the Department the Officer works for?

If you're honestly interested in answers to your questions, they're the only ones who can provide them.
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:24   #12
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
No, I haven't called them.. I'm debating whether I should just leave this alone or try to find out why they took it & get it back or what.. lol
__________________
….(\_/)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:27   #13
Zeebra724
Senior Member
 
Zeebra724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
No, I haven't called them.. I'm debating whether I should just leave this alone or try to find out why they took it & get it back or what.. lol
It's just 1 round, not the whole mag full! Don't lose sleep over 1 round--and I'm guessing that you checked your mag to make sure he didn't put it back in? That is weird though that he didn't pick the round up off the floor...
__________________
MOLWN LABE!
Zeebra724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:28   #14
billkill
Senior Member
 
billkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East TN
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
No, I haven't called them.. I'm debating whether I should just leave this alone or try to find out why they took it & get it back or what.. lol
You can always go back to the store and check if the round is in the lost & found.
__________________
G22
"Elsie Pea"
...But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most...and that is..the indifference of Good Men! -Monsignor, BoonDock Saints
billkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:32   #15
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post
It's just 1 round, not the whole mag full! Don't lose sleep over 1 round--and I'm guessing that you checked your mag to make sure he didn't put it back in? That is weird though that he didn't pick the round up off the floor...
I don't know if he did or not - If not, I'm worried some kid might find it or something. If he DID pick it up & just kept it, that is fine - I'd rather that, than some kid find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billkill View Post
You can always go back to the store and check if the round is in the lost & found.
I would, but after this I'm worried they will just call the cops as soon as I walk in since they know I had a weapon on me last time..

I don't know what to do.

That is the ONLY store in this town with shorts for $5.. and I desperately need shorts for summer carry.
__________________
….(\_/)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 13:32..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:44   #16
Zeebra724
Senior Member
 
Zeebra724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
I don't know what to do.

That is the ONLY store in this town with shorts for $5.. and I desperately need shorts for summer carry.
If you really need the shorts from THAT store and if you're worried about your presence there then send you wife or a friend in to buy them for you.

Go get some nice shorts with beltloops somewhere else--and if they are more expensive I'd rather another store get the $ anyway. If it were me, I wouldn't set foot in that store again...and the bullet (if it's on the floor) is not going to hurt anyone on it's own, unless a kid tries to swallow it and chokes on it...but with a 9mm round he'd be OK...with a .45 ACP round he might not make it. LOL
__________________
MOLWN LABE!
Zeebra724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39   #17
MotoGlock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: A Cesspool of a City
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
No, I haven't called them.. I'm debating whether I should just leave this alone or try to find out why they took it & get it back or what.. lol
Don't worry about one freaking round. Let it go!

You should be more upset about the b-tch store clerk. They falsely accused you of a crime, embarrassed you, tainted your reputation, and caused you stress.
File a law suit on them!
MotoGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:25   #18
Zeebra724
Senior Member
 
Zeebra724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 365
Sorry man--not your day apparently. Did you chew out the store owner for falsely accusing you later? As far as the LEO, I'm not sure if he did anything wrong, but he should have given you back your round, I agree. Did you ask him for it? He probably just forgot about it with everything else going on...

Also, I know it's 20/20 hindsight, but...why not just try on the shorts instead of worrying about your pant's size? I go in dressing rooms every now and I just drop my pants with my weapon still holstered, try on the new clothes, and then get dressed again. I will say that one thing I love about my Galco Summer Comfort is that I can just snap off the holster without removing my belt...hope you have better luck nextime! At least you kept your cool--some guys would have reacted differently and perhaps got in some trouble.
__________________
MOLWN LABE!
Zeebra724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:28   #19
GLOCK19FTW
Senior Member
 
GLOCK19FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post
Sorry man--not your day apparently. Did you chew out the store owner for falsely accusing you later? As far as the LEO, I'm not sure if he did anything wrong, but he should have given you back your round, I agree. Did you ask him for it? He probably just forgot about it with everything else going on...

Also, I know it's 20/20 hindsight, but...why not just try on the shorts instead of worrying about your pant's size? I go in dressing rooms every now and I just drop my pants with my weapon still holstered, try on the new clothes, and then get dressed again. I will say that one thing I love about my Galco Summer Comfort is that I can just snap off the holster without removing my belt...hope you have better luck nextime! At least you kept your cool--some guys would have reacted differently and perhaps got in some trouble.
No, I just left after that.. even if I did go back in, I wouldn't have said anything to the lady.

I'm not trying to have a confrontation with anybody.. even though yes, she did falsely accuse me, its in the past.

Now I'm just worried the officer may have forgot to pick the round up off the floor in the store. I don't recall if he got it or not.. I was just so nervous man.

Not only was it my first encounter with a LEO, it was a scenario where this lady had accused me of shoplifting!! So they already were coming in, thinking I was some kind of criminal.

I was literally shaking.. I had done nothing wrong and I knew that I was carrying. I'm still pretty upset about it as I type this.

But man, talk about EMBARRASSING..

Every person in the store just stopped and started at me when they heard him rack the slide to eject the round.

I have never felt so degraded in my life.
__________________
….(\_/)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

...( ‘_’)
…/”"”"”"”"”"”\======░ · · · · · ·
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 04-19-2013 at 13:29..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 13:46   #20
oppi27
Senior Member
 
oppi27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 108
You wouldnt have had a problem if you didn't let your mom but your pants all the time. I mean who doesn't know what size pants they where.
oppi27 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:10.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 638
173 Members
465 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31