GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-25-2013, 22:04   #1
ChiTownPicaro

More US Companies Imposing Consequences on Unhealthy Employees...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2950392.html

I hope more companies take these sorts of steps. As a stock holder it will be good for the country. I would rather they fired out of shape folks to help raise stock values and save on salaries.

But either way, perhaps they will start requiring physicals prior to hiring. Imagine if they start telling smokers that they are ineligible to be hired as they tested positive for tobacco and they told fatties that they are too heavy and must lose weight before they can be hired. Hopefully this will help the nation with its obesity epidemic.

What do you all think?
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:09   #2
sputnik767

So basically, get healthy or pay more. About time.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:11   #3
JVMHGF
NRA Life Member

The article headline says that the "U.S. companies" are doing this but it's the leverage of the Affordable Care Act that's really responsible. If they don't do wellness surveying or testing, they'll get fined by the government. If the employee gets dropped by the health insurance, the employee will have to pay a fine -- for not having health insurance. Government gets paid no matter what.
JVMHGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:19   #4
M2 Carbine

Quote:
What do you all think?
If they are going to insist in getting into your private life then go all the way.
Fire an employee that uses a cell phone while driving.

Definitely fire dopers.

Fire employees that don't eat enough fresh fruit.

Fire employees that drive too old a (unsafe) car.

Fire an employee that doesn't get enough sleep.

Of course fire everyone when they reach the age of 50.

Fire any woman with big boobs and a nice butt. She is a distraction that may get someone hurt while looking at her.

No, I'm really tired of people, government, work, whatever getting into peoples private lives.

As a pilot it was my responsibility to maintain decent enough health to fly but I think such as that is the limit.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 23:25   #5
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
If they are going to insist in getting into your private life then go all the way.

Definitely fire dopers.

Fire any woman with big boobs and a nice butt. She is a distraction that may get someone hurt while looking at her.

No, I'm really tired of people, government, work, whatever getting into peoples private lives.

As a pilot it was my responsibility to maintain decent enough health to fly but I think such as that is the limit.
Just to play devil's advocate:

If you work for a private company, do they not have a say in various aspects of their employees' lifestyle? For example, if you want to come to my house and I ask you to leave your gun at home, I would expect you to comply.

What about dopers? Something tells me that delivery companies probably don't want their employees chasing a rainbow-farting dragon down the middle of a crowded sidewalk in the company vehicle.

What about obese people? Insuring them costs the company and the rest of the employees more money. Barring the rare case of an actual medical reason, isn't it appropriate to have them shoulder some of the burden for their healthcare? Why should I have to pay more for my healthcare coverage when I hardly ever use it? The same applies to smokers.

My point is, nobody is dictating to any private company how they should manage their employees. If a business wants to promote wellness (and their bottom line), it is their choice on how they do it. And it is your choice to work there or work elsewhere.

Want to set your own rules, start your own business and manage your employees as you see fit.

Last edited by sputnik767; 03-25-2013 at 23:38..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 18:25   #6
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post

If you work for a private company, do they not have a say in various aspects of their employees' lifestyle? For example, if you want to come to my house and I ask you to leave your gun at home, I would expect you to comply.

What about dopers? Something tells me that delivery companies probably don't want their employees chasing a rainbow-farting dragon down the middle of a crowded sidewalk in the company vehicle.

What about obese people? Insuring them costs the company and the rest of the employees more money. Barring the rare case of an actual medical reason, isn't it appropriate to have them shoulder some of the burden for their healthcare? Why should I have to pay more for my healthcare coverage when I hardly ever use it? The same applies to smokers.

My point is, nobody is dictating to any private company how they should manage their employees. If a business wants to promote wellness (and their bottom line), it is their choice on how they do it. And it is your choice to work there or work elsewhere.

Want to set your own rules, start your own business and manage your employees as you see fit.
If a company wanted to lower their insurance costs, I would suggest not hiring young people. they are more likely to produce dependents who are covered under the group plan and are constantly getting sick and needing medical services.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:29   #7
panzer1
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post

OK so you pay more because you have guns & shoot ammo has lead in it etc,etc.Get it. By the way I am not fat.& don't smoke & never did never will. And what if you get sick? Then you have to pay more? Your fine for 10years then get sick & they get to bang you for big $$$$. Bull!!!!!

Last edited by panzer1; 04-02-2013 at 02:35..
panzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 23:33   #8
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:

Definitely fire dopers.

When your personal life starts to affect the companies bottom line, I'd say they have a understandable reason to make regulations.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 16:24   #9
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
When your personal life starts to affect the companies bottom line, I'd say they have a understandable reason to make regulations.
Really? So say I'm healthy as a horse..and one day I come down with prostate cancer. Doc says I have a 50-50 chance.

Next day I go to work and they give me my notice because I'm now unhealthy!

Or a woman gets pregnant. And that's going to result in more medical costs and time lost. Fired.

Or a wounded vet applies to a job. And you get to say...sorry you lost your arm but you obviously will cost us a buttload for your health care and you probably have PTSD...so no job offer for you.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 16:37   #10
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Really? So say I'm healthy as a horse..and one day I come down with prostate cancer. Doc says I have a 50-50 chance.

Next day I go to work and they give me my notice because I'm now unhealthy!

Or a woman gets pregnant. And that's going to result in more medical costs and time lost. Fired.

Or a wounded vet applies to a job. And you get to say...sorry you lost your arm but you obviously will cost us a buttload for your health care and you probably have PTSD...so no job offer for you.
I believe all of your examples are protected classes.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 16:41   #11
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post
I believe all of your examples are protected classes.

Put "and fat or out of shape" in front of all three and now you have a way to fire "unhealthy" people.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13   #12
itstime

Quote:

Definitely fire dopers.

I'm with you M2. It's only the start.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21   #13
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:

Definitely fire dopers.

Interesting. The usual consensus around here is private business can do whatever they please, whenever they please, to whomever they please.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09   #14
Chesafreak

Quote:

Definitely fire dopers.

I agree about keeping the government out of our private lives. However, nobody owes you insurance. Insurance is not a guaranteed civil right. Insurance companies are in business to make a profit and an obese person or smoker is more likely to cost them more to insure you.

You CAN keep the insurance companies out of your private life... don't buy insurance. But be prepared to pay a fine (tax) to the IRS. I am def. against the fine, but all for insurance companies charging you more (or less) for your lifestyle choices. Sometimes you just have to take responsibility for your actions.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 03-27-2013 at 11:17..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:48   #15
alphacat
account deleted

Quote:

Definitely fire dopers.

alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 20:35   #16
true believer

Quote:

Definitely fire dopers.

great post...thanks buck..
now they cant wait to get on the net and proudly display their ignorance over and over again"-
Dragoon44.
true believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 20:40   #17
true believer

my wife had breast cancer.. she had a mastectomy, I hope she isn't deemed unfit for her job. being not perfect in some big shots eyes..
I guess time will tell...

I wonder if that would be a good law suit?
now they cant wait to get on the net and proudly display their ignorance over and over again"-
Dragoon44.
true believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:44   #18
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I agree with M2 ^^^^

If your gonna do it, why not go all out?

Hey your a gun owner, we can have you work here ect ect. It cracks me up on here reading things such as the OP posted. Take the smoking bit for example, he would have no problem trying to tramp on someone's freedom such as that.

I'm sure if someone wanted to tramp on his 2ND A freedom...... Awww hell nah! Hypocritics!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:50   #19
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
If your gonna do it, why not go all out?
Just say 'no'.
Work for a different employer.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20   #20
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Just say 'no'.
Work for a different employer.
Agreed. If it's a condition of employment, it is voluntary to remain employed.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57   #21
Fracball
Authorized User

So it's all about the bottom line, eh?

My employer has wellness testing where they collect and record basic health information. They also have health fairs and mandatory driving training for all employees regardless of whether you drive a company vehicle or not.

But my employer will not do anything about coworkers that surf FB, youtube and chat all day on company owned computers!
Fracball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23   #22
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracball View Post
So it's all about the bottom line, eh?

My employer has wellness testing where they collect and record basic health information. They also have health fairs and mandatory driving training for all employees regardless of whether you drive a company vehicle or not.

But my employer will not do anything about coworkers that surf FB, youtube and chat all day on company owned computers!
That doesn't cost the company nearly as much money.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02   #23
WmHBonney

What's next? Will a big city mayor tell you that you cannot order a large soda? Oh, wait, someone already did that.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:17   #24
Tiro Fijo

ChiTownPicaro is clearly a Lib troll who has infiltrated GT and who supports Obama. Don't be a sucker & take the bait.

He's trolling here as in all of his threads and I'd bet he doesn't even own a gun. Avoid him.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 14:09   #25
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
ChiTownPicaro is clearly a Lib troll who has infiltrated GT and who supports Obama. Don't be a sucker & take the bait.

He's trolling here as in all of his threads and I'd bet he doesn't even own a gun. Avoid him.
Since when is allowing a private company do what's necessary (as long as it's legal) to make as much money as possible a liberal idea? If anything I think liberals would be against this - fat people acceptance and all that.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote