SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:38   #1
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Why is DHS hoarding ammunition?

You can hardly miss the many stories about DHS buying billions of rounds of ammunition (hollowpoints) for "practice." What the heck is going on?

Last edited by Bolster; 03-25-2013 at 09:41..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 13:52   #2
Rick O'Shay

My understanding is that, the federal government has contracted for "options" of billions of rounds of popular calibers and trying to overwhelm ammo manufacturers, in order to keep ammo off the store shelves. Just a trickle is actually making it to store shelves, it appears. I guess that, if the government buys up virtually ALL ammo, then they can control where it ultimately is used.

I haven't seen a more reasonable explanation to date.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 14:23   #3
20South

If you look at the RFP it appears that DHS wrote it to purchase "up to" a collective 1.6 billion rounds. DHS does practice with duty ammo and do not use the FMJ rounds most of us use for cost effectiveness. Given that, it hardly explains why regular target ammo is nowhere to be found. I have no trouble finding JHP rounds around my part of the world. However, up to 1.6B of anything is a huge number.
Old 03-25-2013, 15:06   #4
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post
My understanding is that, the federal government has contracted for "options" of billions of rounds of popular calibers and trying to overwhelm ammo manufacturers, in order to keep ammo off the store shelves. Just a trickle is actually making it to store shelves, it appears. I guess that, if the government buys up virtually ALL ammo, then they can control where it ultimately is used.

This.

Under the radar gun control. A gun without ammo ain't much good.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 15:50   #5
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:

I believe this also. It is like commodity trading. They don't actually have to own the ammo to control the commodity, they only need to own the option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 16:24   #6
maxmanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I believe this also. It is like commodity trading. They don't actually have to own the ammo to control the commodity, they only need to own the option.
Such contracts have a delivery date. You must either sell the option by the delivery date or take delivery of the commodity.
maxmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 16:27   #7
Wake_jumper

Quote:

They have cornered the market and will sell it back to the suppliers at a huge profit.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:21   #8
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

I disagree.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 13:52   #9
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I disagree.
Yup....nothing more than the product of mass hoarding.

Last edited by ray9898; 03-26-2013 at 14:33..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 15:07   #10
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Yup....nothing more than the product of mass hoarding.
When is it hoarding?
Old 03-26-2013, 15:54   #11
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20South View Post
When is it hoarding?
When people start buying it just because it is available which is in drastic contrast to the market norm.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 15:59   #12
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20South View Post
When is it hoarding?
When other people are willing and able to pay for more something than you are.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 14:37   #13
quake

Quote:
... Just a trickle is actually making it to store shelves, it appears...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I disagree.
I can't speak for the situation nationwide, and it's still not necessarily of some manipulative govt conspiracy either way, but in our area at least, deliveries are definitely down to 'trickle' level at best. There's not nearly as much being delivered to either the walmart store, the gun shop, the ace hardware or the local pawn shops as there was a few months ago.

There's definitely panic-buying so demand is up, but supply is measurably down as well; again at least in my immediate area.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 14:45   #14
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
You can hardly miss the many stories about DHS buying billions of rounds of ammunition (hollowpoints) for "practice." What the heck is going on?
The stories are distortions of fact - that's what's going on.

The reality is that in the last 5 months more guns have been sold than in the last 2 years combined - many if not most to first time gun owners. This has resulted in unprecedented demand for ammo. Add in the hoarding from the "OMG the world is ending crowd" and the net result is ammo shortages and stupid prices.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 15:05   #15
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

I honestly think the DHS purchase stuff is a distraction. As usual with stories like this there is just enough facts mixed in to convince many that there is really something to worry about but IMHO it is a giant nothing sandwich.

IMHO we have plenty of other REAL threats to be worried about like the so called universal background checks that is more likely to pass than folks realize and will negatively impact us in ways most haven't even imagined yet and lead to national registry (confiscation) upon subsequent tragedies.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1478757

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 17:26   #16
xXxplosive

Lets look at the Big picture.....Ammo, Mrap Assault Ambush Armored vehicles, approval to kill American citizens with Drones.....so all joking aside....they refuse to answer to congress.....what's with this ?
xXxplosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 18:41   #17
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
Lets look at the Big picture.....Ammo, Mrap Assault Ambush Armored vehicles, approval to kill American citizens with Drones.....so all joking aside....they refuse to answer to congress.....what's with this ?
Can you say Nazi Germany??
Old 03-27-2013, 15:53   #18
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Can you say Nazi Germany??
Can you say, "DUH?"

Because, you haven't a grasp on the situation beause you know nothing but assume everything?

Let me break it down for you.

The Federal Law Enforcement Aacement, otherwise known as FLETC pumps through people who probably have never handled a firearm before. They put a lot of rounds down range to create a proficient shooter before they can graduate.

They have always used JHP's, under the motto, "train like you fight, fight like you train."

Now, for all the entities out there, qualifications are held not once, not twice, but four times per annual year. For a pistol alone that is at least 52 fired rounds, sometimes more depending on the qualification course, Then you have drills. Steel, downed and disabled and all kinds of high speed shooting that goes into a full training day.

Next, you have on top of that duty ammo issued to insure all magazines are filled prior to leaving the range and practice ammo to retain proficiency in addition to that.

Now, multiply that over a couple hundred thousand agents and officers. Now multiply that concept that shotguns and long arms come into the equation.

If you really want to be paranoid consider the hierarchy of ammuntion purchase in the United States:

1. The Military. They purchase billions upon billions of ordinance monthly.

2. Then all the Law Enforcement.

3. Then all the Sky is Falling People.

Ammuntion manufacturers love contracts as that is guaranteed money.

So, the Military gets first whack

Then LEO's

Then the Sky is Falling People.

There was plenty to go around until the Sky is Falling People panicked and overwhelmed a system that was already straining from large contract obligations.

No one is comming to get you. You aren't that imporant.

/Rant over.
Old 03-25-2013, 19:16   #19
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post

All joking aside? You making yourself look like a loony.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 22:00   #20
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
All joking aside? You making yourself look like a loony.
Between 1933 and 1939, there were a lot of alarmists in Germany who were concerned about what was happening to the German culture and government. Of course, the Nazis mocked them and called them "loonies."