Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2013, 16:19   #1
Phantom465

question on 5.56 and .223

From the info I have Googled, 5.56 and .223 are virtually the same size, but 5.56 usually has higher pressure. Is that correct?

With that in mind, what parts really matter when it comes to higher presser. Certainly the barrel needs to be rated for higher pressure. What are parts should I be concerned about?

thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 16:29   #2
flw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom465 View Post
From the info I have Googled, 5.56 and .223 are virtually the same size, but 5.56 usually has higher pressure. Is that correct?

With that in mind, what parts really matter when it comes to higher presser. Certainly the barrel needs to be rated for higher pressure. What are parts should I be concerned about?

thanks!
Rifle made for 556 will shoot 223 as well but not the other way around. 223 rifle will not shoot 556. There is a difference in the dimensions. You need to look at more than the caliber
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 16:48   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Rifle made for 556 will shoot 223 as well but not the other way around. 223 rifle will not shoot 556. There is a difference in the dimensions. You need to look at more than the caliber
Not exactly. A rifle chambered in .223 WILL chamber and fire a 5.56 cartridge, but it can result in an unsafe over-pressure situation that can damage the weapon and even possibly harm the shooter.

OP: The chamber needs to be a 5.56 chamber, or .223 Wlyde (A match chamber specifically designed to handle 5.56 ammo). If you are specifically looking at AR-15s, it has been a LONG time since I saw one that did not have one of those two chambers cut into the barrel.

Also, it's the marking on the BARREL that matter, not what's on the lower.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 03-23-2013 at 16:50..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 19:21   #4
Phantom465

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
OP: The chamber needs to be a 5.56 chamber, or .223 Wlyde (A match chamber specifically designed to handle 5.56 ammo). If you are specifically looking at AR-15s, it has been a LONG time since I saw one that did not have one of those two chambers cut into the barrel.

Also, it's the marking on the BARREL that matter, not what's on the lower.
Thanks - I am building an AR from the ground up. Are there any other parts that I should be concerned about? What about the bolt / bolt carrier or upper receiver?
Old 03-23-2013, 21:08   #5
ked

i understand about the 5.56 or .223 wylde chamber, but can you be more specific about what exactly causes the excessive pressure?

thanks, ked
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom465 View Post
Thanks - I am building an AR from the ground up. Are there any other parts that I should be concerned about? What about the bolt / bolt carrier or upper receiver?
Upper receiver doesn't matter, so long as it made to spec (ie: caliber doesn't matter, just has to be an AR-15 upper receiver). So long as the bolt is made for .223/5.56 (no difference between them for the bolt), and is from a quality manufacturer, you'll be fine. I am partial to Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, and LMT bolts (in that order, usually - consequently, that seems to be the order of availability).

For reliability, the two most critical parts are the barrel and bolt carrier group. As long as you buy quality on those, you should be fine. Accuracy will vary between individual builds, so the only way to know how accurate YOUR rifle will be is to get out and shoot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ked View Post
i understand about the 5.56 or .223 wylde chamber, but can you be more specific about what exactly causes the excessive pressure?

thanks, ked
A standard .223 chamber has a shorter leade than .223 Wylde or 5.56. Also, 5.56 cases have slightly smaller internal dimensions due to thicker case walls. Those two factors (tighter chamber and tighter internal case dimensions) contribute to higher chamber pressures. Bear in mind that this is all in GENERAL terms, as the exact dimensions can vary between production runs and manufacturers - sometimes dramatically.

Lucky gunner labs had a great write-up on the two a while back, and it's worth reading.

Their conclusion was that, while shooting 5.56 from a .223 chamber isn't likely to turn your gun into a bomb (although it CAN happen in certain situations), it can potentially cause some issues - popped primers, or greater wear over time.